PDA

View Full Version : Aint that life??

John Griffin
08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I've been away on holiday in Australia for two weeks. We had a great time; I hadn't been back for many years. Melbourne has grown bu alot is as I remember it.
We just got home yesterday (Sunday). Maybe I should have stayed there... Today I learned that my job has become 'redundant'. They layed me off while I was away! Oh well, at least it wasn't right before Christmas.
Until now I've always been lucky or suspicious enough to stay a step ahead of that sort of thing- leaving for another job a step ahead of the axe or the 'merger'; this is the first time I've actually been layed off. I must say it could make a person feel a bit unwanted...
Fortunately over the last ten years I've made friends and acquaintances in this business (CG/sim) and it looks as if there will not be a gap in work for me.
I suppose this will mean additional delays to my M48 design as I sort all this work stuff out on the fly. I will finish the M48 model (eventually)! I've sometimes said that 'if I didn't have a job I could churn out loads of models'... but that 'opportunity' is less appealing when actually faced with it!
All should go well; wish me luck!

Fozzy The Bear
08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
We just got home yesterday (Sunday). Maybe I should have stayed there... Today I learned that my job has become 'redundant'. They layed me off while I was away!

How apauling that they didn't even have the decency to give you reasonable notice of this layoff.

You have my absolute sympathy John. I know how you feel, because I'm having contract hassles with my current employer, who has treated me absolutely terribly for the last four months. I too am on the hunt for an alternative.

You have my best wishes, good luck with your search for new employment.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear).

rlwhitt
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I feel your pain John, I myself have been through this very recently (although I had pretty good warning). It's a bummer leaving the comforts and going out there again, but like they always say about doors....

Good luck!

Mechanic
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
That sucks. There's never a good time to get that kind of news. . .

FredZ KSAC
08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Been there and had it done to me. Although not on vacation - they waited until our Mechanical Design group brought our project in early and under budget and then told us that the company was changing to just software development! I refer to it as 'getting retired!' Still stinks!!! Good luck with what ever comes along.
Later,
Fred Z.

Knife
08-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I had a 25 year career ruined by another's mistake. I had been at that company for 7 months, union protection didn't kick in until 12 months. The other guy had protection, I got the shaft. They wouldn't even let me resign, and fought my unemployment insurance. Haven't worked since. I was going to go on a cruise the following week to celibrate my 25th wedding anniversory.

shrike
08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I refer to it as 'getting retired!'
Fred Z.

Cue Blade Runner opening credits.....

I did get a layoff two weeks before Christmas once. A month or so advance warning which really made it bad for the guys one tiny step ahead of me in seniority----their last day was the 24th.:eek:

If this was the sort of place that would stick it to you like this the sudden reduction in stress will be surprisingly pleasant once you're over the initial shock. Look at is as an unexpected extension of you holiday. Take a day to lounge around the house, then catch up on the endless list of things you said you'd get to 'when you get a chance'.

Clashster
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Good luck, John! And we will be waiting for whenever you are able to produce your next masterpiece!

rowiac
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
John,
On the positive side, at least you got to take your holiday before finding out about the layoff! That way you didn't have to worry about it while vacationing.

Like you, I've managed to escape a couple of companies before they pulled the rug out from under me, and I've avoided being laid off so far. That's great that you have connections in your industry to find work right away.

Good luck in your endeavors,
Roger

Gil
08-28-2007, 02:10 AM
John,

The bright side is that you had a great time in Oz. Seems your former company isn't the performer that you need to spend your time on..., Remember, it's your time not their's so make the best of it and choose accordingly..,

Just don't let them know how you feel on the subject though...,

+Gil

GreMir
08-28-2007, 03:23 AM
John,
Getting this type of news is never pleasant but at least you had a worry free vacation...
Good luck with the job hunt.

John Bowden
08-28-2007, 06:35 AM
:eek:Crap! Sorry John. But Gil's right.............. their loss!

Remember that we are always here to lend an ear........... and virtual shoulder.

john

Golden Bear
08-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Yuk. My sympathies John. I'm looking over my shoulder all the time... I just got 20 years in late June. They haven't actually pink slipped anybody - well, except some sales people somewhere a few years back - but there have been repeated VSIs and early retirements over the past five years. Clearly the new streamlined corporation wants cheap engineers rather than good or experienced. I'm hoping to follow the Peter Tosh song, "You've got to walk before they make you run" in a year or two.

Carl

Clashster
08-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Not to get off topic... GB - Peter Tosh was "Gonna walk and don't look back" (with Mick Jagger), the Stones did "gonna walk before they make me run" (sung by Keith). Both seem pretty appropriate!
Again, good luck to you, John!

Golden Bear
08-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Duh. Thanks, Chris. Of course.:p

Kaz
08-28-2007, 11:29 AM
All the best to you John, I am sure something will make all the shock go away.

milenio3
08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
There's a saying around here that goes: "Nothing happens without a reason"

And I think there is a good reason for you.

Paperbeam
08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Best of luck to you John!:cool:

In 2001 (a bad enough time as it was), two weeks before Christmas, a large company I'd started work at just a little over three months previously suddenly (and seemingly inexplicably) went bankrupt...:eek:

Not only did I lose my job, but two weeks pay to boot. No immediate job prospects or access to unemployment insurance were forthcoming until about a month later...:mad:

I had some money to tide me over, but it was a damned difficult time in my life. But I made it through somehow...

Every time one door closes, another one opens.

Terry

N and Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at:http://www.paperbeam.com

Johnny
08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Wow! Such things really sucks!!
Thats kind of situations I have heard of can happen "over there"
Here in Norway those things are not allowed.
Wish you the best of luck John!

John Griffin
08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, THANKS everybody for all the encouragement. Fortunately for us, my wife also works. I am presently in the process of setting up an interview with another company that I have an inside connection with. We'll see how it goes... I still have a job for the next week or so.

milenio3
08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Here in Norway those things are not allowed.

Ok, then... I'm packing my stuff and moving to Norway.

Johnny
08-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Don't forget your fishing rod :)

The only way you can loose your job or get fired here is when the company goes bankrupt or you misholds your job otherwise it's very hard to get rid of workers.

whulsey
09-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Layouts suck. That happened to me in the early 90's at a company I'd been with 11 years straight out of college. The VP of Marketing walked up to me on a Monday morning and handed me my check and said "sorry". Yeah, right! It does put you throught the emotional wringer, especially if it takes awhile to find another job. So best of luck and hope something comes up quick.

CharlieC
09-02-2007, 01:38 AM
That certainly sucks. In Oz it costs the companies a fair amount of payout to toss people out - about 2 weeks pay per year of service - they tend not to do it on a whim.

If you've been working with clients - check them out. I recently quit my job and walked into a similar job with one of our clients - mostly on the basis that
they liked what I'd done for them.

Regards,

Charlie

Zathros
09-02-2007, 10:14 PM
When I injured myself at a Major helicopter manufacturing company in Connecticut, they told me I had no future there. Because of that injury I am not insurable medically. No one will hire me I have am implant in my brain to control pain (1st of 20 people in America 1.5 years ago) and Social Security has admitted that they did not pay me disability benefits for 10 years because they thought I was still on workmen compensation. I have had no income for 10 years except for what I buy and sell and "hustle: by fixing things out of my barn. I put my wife through college and she has a degree in financial management so I am a Mr. Mom. The hardest job I have ever had. My son is now 7 and I am feeling pretty useless lately. I still take 120 mg. of morphine for an inoperable spinal condition and have traumatic brain injury with a non functioning pituitary gland. I will be appearing in front of a Judge to force Social Security to do what it is supposed to. I still love life and my family. If you can still work things will get better for you. I know things happen for a reason. Good luck to you.

John Griffin
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
When I injured myself at a Major helicopter manufacturing company in Connecticut, they told me I had no future there. Because of that injury I am not insurable medically. No one will hire me I have am implant in my brain to control pain (1st of 20 people in America 1.5 years ago) and Social Security has admitted that they did not pay me disability benefits for 10 years because they thought I was still on workmen compensation. I have had no income for 10 years except for what I buy and sell and "hustle: by fixing things out of my barn. I put my wife through college and she has a degree in financial management so I am a Mr. Mom. The hardest job I have ever had. My son is now 7 and I am feeling pretty useless lately. I still take 120 mg. of morphine for an inoperable spinal condition and have traumatic brain injury with a non functioning pituitary gland. I will be appearing in front of a Judge to force Social Security to do what it is supposed to. I still love life and my family. If you can still work things will get better for you. I know things happen for a reason. Good luck to you.

Hey! Raising good kids is a hard job and I wish more people were doing it these days! You shouldn't feel at all 'useless' when you are raising responsible, productive kids that can add to society!

Frank Kelle
09-05-2007, 01:32 AM
John, I feel with you. Rather the same thing happened to me - I drove home from office and an hour later or so I received my cancel by email - no joke.
Sadly enough this dragged me down so deep, that for a few month I had no idea what to do with me, even the complete energy was running low. In this moment I noticed which persons are REAL friends to me (not speaking of my wife - she always tied to hold me up). They spoke to me, they tried to help me and in the end one friend showed me the way for my further business, he even made the first date clear for a meeting with my first business partner. I only had to come and speak. In the memory I can agree this some spoken words here, that you never will know the reason for something happened thing. For me it was the open door for the job, which I ever wanted to do in mind, but never had planned or thought about it exactly. Okay - this will not clear up all the bitterness in mind in the moment - but my advice: do not "put your head in the sand" - hear upon your friends and family and do not close your mind. Here for your heart and you know, where to find them.
... Sorry... it was a little bit difficult for me to write down in english, I hope, you will understand what I wanted to say to you.
My best wishes - Frank

John Griffin
09-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks Frank, and everyone else for all your encouragement. I will have about 3 weeks pay after I leave so that helps ease the feelings of being 'not needed'.
Friday is my last dayat my current job... but it looks as if I will be working Monday for a new company (still located down here in my basement!) so that is very good news!
I wasn't expecting to pick up so soon... I think now that I would've liked to use just a little bit of that severance pay by sitting around a bit on the couch with the TV. Oh well, I am just grateful to still be working at this point, really.
Friends and industry acquaintances that have offered me positions in the past were still ready at this point to give me a shot, so this actually turned out fairly seamless for me.
Makes me feel like I was whining after hearing of some of you guys' layoff experiences! (Sorry).
Things seem to have worked out; but it will take me a while until I stop looking over my shoulder 'just in case'.

Barry
09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Glad you found something so quickly don't make apologies it's still a nasty feeling however short the period it's the initial shock that hurts the most.

Zathros
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
@John, thanks, In my head I know that raising my child is a noble thing but when I look at some people around me it feels as though I am being passed by. This is self misery on my part, (it comes and goes, mostly goes) I hope everything works out. I am sure it will. It is amazing how forums like this can provide support to peolple from people that have never met face to face. I guess it is the threads that bind us all.