PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Ohio IPMS Blizzcon Saturday

Isaac
02-16-2018, 04:36 PM
I will attend the Columbus Ohio IPMS contest tomorrow Saturday Feb 17th.

There is no restriction on paper entries.

I will enter 5 models in various categories. Not really intending to win anything, but rather bring awareness to our hobby.

Isaac

Dave Pete
02-17-2018, 03:05 AM
Good luck at the contest!

Used to be part of the model group that puts it on till we moved away about 10 years ago. Miss both the group and the contest.

Paper modeling hobby needs more builders to enter them and vendors to set up at model contests and sell there. With the cost of plastic kits these days paper modeling is an inexpensive alternative.

Wulf111
02-17-2018, 05:50 AM
Awesome, hope to see you there Isaac

Isaac
02-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Great!

I'll bring my BAC Lighning, F-84F, Sombold So 344, Phantom, Mirage and Kfir models.

I'll wear a green T shirt

Isaac

Isaac
02-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Jim

It was great seeing you there.

Pictures of the paper models we brought soon. Please free to post your pictures

Isaac

Isaac
02-17-2018, 06:15 PM
It was great to find out that the Columbus contest was fully open to all materials including paper.

Isaac

Isaac
02-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Here are some pics of the contest area during judging. I think there were around 400 models there.

Isaac

Isaac
02-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Here are the paper models the Jim ( Wulf 111 ) brought

Isaac

Isaac
02-17-2018, 08:49 PM
I entered 6 models in 3 categories

Here they are
338576338577Sombold So 344

338578F-84F

338579BAC Lightning

338580338581Mirage, Kfir and Phantom

Isaac

Texman
02-17-2018, 09:47 PM
I couldn't help but notice the last pictures.

They let you enter kits in the "scratch built" category?

JohnO
02-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Very nice Isaac, liking the Phantom

Richschindler
02-18-2018, 07:21 AM
Looked like a very interesting show.
Sorry, I’m partial to the last few photos. Your aircraft models are always amazing entries.

Isaac
02-18-2018, 07:50 AM
I couldn't help but notice the last pictures.

They let you enter kits in the "scratch built" category?

Since I made all the parts, it is scratch built. This model was printed by me, cut by me, formed by me, that it is a scratch built model. A booklet version that is professionally printed is probably not.

Really in paper there is only self design or designed by others. We are builders and it is all the same technique . So nothing is similar to plastic which is where Scratchbuilt category exists.

In any case, they were very open with the interpretation. I like it. In Canada where I resided for a short while, some clubs did not even let me enter the contests, but some did, so it is all variable.

My point is only to spread the word that you can build good looking models out of paper.

Isaac

Isaac
02-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Here are the awards.
338608 BAC Lighning, Fly model

338609 F-4E Phantom, Kfir C7, Mirage 3c ( Yoav's designs, Yaron repaint of the Kfir )

338610 Sombold 344 and ground equipment Orlik kit

Some because I was the only entrants, but the BAC Lightning competed in large scale jets with other plastic models and I got 2nd place.

Again, to me the awards are like a kid in kindergarten getting stickers. It is meaningless, but I get a kick out of it and get to spread the words by showing paper models.

Isaac

Texman
02-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Since I made all the parts, it is scratch built. This model was printed by me, cut by me, formed by me, that it is a scratch built model. A booklet version that is professionally printed is probably not.

Really in paper there is only self design or designed by others. We are builders and it is all the same technique . So nothing is similar to plastic which is where Scratchbuilt category exists.

In any case, they were very open with the interpretation. I like it. In Canada where I resided for a short while, some clubs did not even let me enter the contests, but some did, so it is all variable.

My point is only to spread the word that you can build good looking models out of paper.

Isaac

Sorry, I have to disagree. Even if they were generous in the interpretation, it is still a kit.
Scratch built is building from nothing. Had you designed it, then printed and built, I would agree with it being scratchbuilt.

But it is still built from a kit.

I do agree that entering shows and competitions is a great way to spread the word! Glad that there are others who are out showing what can be done with card!

Isaac
02-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Ray,

we can agree or disagree with the rules made out for plastic models. The real way is to have our own paper model contests and write our own rules. That is why I have organized our own convention, meeting in May in Dayton Ohio so we can have our own say.

Using the IPMS rules and venues still makes us stepchildren in their eyes. Some love us and some do not, but we are not treated as a plastic modeler. I'm OK with that.

Isaac

airdave
02-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Its only a "kit" if you flat out admit "its a kit. I just assembled it!"

Ray, I agree with you....and I always want to enter paper models as "kits", "out of box" etc

but the biggest factor is the plastic guys have no understanding of the paper model and its building process.
Paper is an "extra element" and a common element in scratchbuilding to them.

Those plastic guys who have been educated or understand more about paper modeling seem to be able to deal with it.
Whereas the ignorant (I don't use that term maliciously) tend to throw the paper models into the scratchbuilding and similar categories.

But, at a plastic model event, I'd rather be judged in a "scratchbuild" category, than in a "everything else" or "pot pourri" category!

It also comes down to how well you explain your model and its construction.
I think its easy to exaggerate your work and contribution to the model (especially to the ignorant).
A bit like why I don't like "designers" who rip patterns from video games and call themselves "paper model designers".

If you are really forthcoming about the fact that its a commercial kit...pre designed, pre printed, ready to assemble...then the response will be different.
And the categorizing of models will undoubtedly be different.
But if you hide a lot of details about how the model was designed, printed and constructed, then you get unfair praise and your models may be judged incorrectly.

You could argue that a paper modeller is no different than a plastic modeller in the sense that you only assemble...and apply finishing touches.
So, either everything is scratchbuilt, or nothing is! lol

Texman
02-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Back to the original point....Isaac, good on you for getting out there and entering, to further the understanding of what we do.

Wulf111
02-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Jim

It was great seeing you there.

Pictures of the paper models we brought soon. Please free to post your pictures

Isaac

Isaac it was a pleasure meeting you there and discussing the hobby. i will definitely put some of the tips you gave me to practice. unfortunately i will not be able to attend the Dayton get together as it falls on the same weekend of my daughters College graduation and will be out of town.

whulsey
02-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Some nice models from both of you.

To stir the pot a bit, the class sign does say 'scratchbuild/conversion' so if you did a lot of your own things it would slide in. Especially since it seems like for a lot of plastic modelers (car modelers in particular) if you have to do much more then throw a tube of glue and can of spray paint in and shake the box it tends to go in the category of 'too much work'.

airdave
02-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Especially since it seems like for a lot of plastic modelers (car modelers in particular) if you have to do much more then throw a tube of glue and can of spray paint in and shake the box it tends to go in the category of 'too much work'.

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2797/xpivs8dm9v584ft6g.jpg

modelperry
02-28-2018, 02:46 PM
Some nice models from both of you.

To stir the pot a bit, the class sign does say 'scratchbuild/conversion' so if you did a lot of your own things it would slide in. Especially since it seems like for a lot of plastic modelers (car modelers in particular) if you have to do much more then throw a tube of glue and can of spray paint in and shake the box it tends to go in the category of 'too much work'.

Yeah, I see this in the club I belong to. Most of the car guys only put in a little extra effort (plug wires). Some will open and hinge the trunk, but that is it. Any time I suggest they try a card model, even a simple one, all I hear is "that's too much work."....

Of course when I build a plastic car model I consider it a diversion, Don't usually detail it and skip the plug wires. It's a diversion for me. Something a little more simple to do....;)

Greg

whulsey
02-28-2018, 05:00 PM
I hear that a lot at the model car club I go to, not as much at the IPMS. And a lot of 'you got to be nuts to want to try that'. Of course I get that a lot also when I drag in a Citroën, Hispano-Suiza or Ursus tractor instead of the usual muscle car or street rod.