PDA

View Full Version : Eureka 7: Gekko 24"

TLHarrell
07-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I am moving my design thread here from "that other site that's dying off". I'm a paper model refugee. Here's a few bits to bring everybody up to speed on this design so far:

Here's my subject, the Gekko:
http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/gekko1.jpg

I have run through about 85% of the episodes creating screen shots of this aircraft. I really love the look of it, and after researching it more in depth without really watching the show I like it even more. The neatest design feature is that the flight deck is suspended under the nose, the pilot has a glass floor, and there is a U-shaped conference table behind the flight deck with a fantastic view out under the wings and tail. Too cool.

This model will be 24" long, no clue as to scale... don't really care actually... I just like the size and I'm trying to make it fairly detailed but not too fiddly with tiny parts. The skin will be scored and formed from triangles, and joins between parts will not have tabs attached, but will have parts that go under the join so it is more seamless. There will be a fairly substantial internal framework as well to make sure the skin conforms to the proper shape easily. I don't like "exterior only" type models, so I prefer to add reinforcement that helps the builder get the proper shape. Also, at 24", it'll need some reinforcement.

I've started out with about 250 or so images from the show. I have some of the wireframe sorted out, mostly just working on finding where all the edges should be, then I'll start connecting parts together and skinning.

The body wireframe:
http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe1.PNG

The partial wing skin:
http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe2.PNG

Not a lot of progress so far this weekend. I figured I had a few days to relax a bit and hopefully get my tweaked and pained body to relax a little, but my wife had other ideas. I been out in the back yard digging Friday and yesterday.

Anyway, got a little more done on the wing Friday, but didn't get time for an update until now. Starting to add some interior structure as well.

http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe3.PNG

For those of you who are scared of scoring all those triangles, it shouldn't be all that bad. Each fold is going to be fairly light, and the skins will be well marked. Shouldn't be much in the way of white showing anywhere. Upper surface of the model will be white/very light green anyway.

The model will be released as 8.5"x11" PDF, all produced in Autocad including surface coloration, panels lines and all details.

I will also be hosting test build photos and instructions on my personal web page when this is completed.

http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoModelInstructions.jpg

Scott K
07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I'll be looking forward to this one. I don't suppose you'd be interested in doing the Swan or any of the Federation ships as well?

Scott K.

TLHarrell
07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
That one might be more difficult to produce. Generating a 3D model from scratch requires a fair bit of reference material. I was lucky enough to string together some front, top and side views that will work for the Gekko from a huge pile of screen captures. I'm not sure if there's enough reference for the other ships, especially for the detail level I'm trying to produce, but I'd certainly be interested in taking a look when this one's done. Took me several days of fast forwarding through the shows just to get the pics of this one.

buffalowings
07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
this is a very interesting design, when you siad gekko, I thought you meant the japanese wwII gekko

TheWebdude
07-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Welcome Thomas!
The only thing better than having new members join is when they bring their toys with them!:D
Looking GREAT!!

SEBRET
07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Glad to see you brought this over hear. I wondered what would happen to this one. going to and from both sites can be tedious. Will watch with high expectations,

SEBRET

Janx
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Loved the designs in Eureka 7, Shoji Kawamori applying his unique thoughts to surfing mecha!"

Looked forward to seeing the Gekko take flight..

TLHarrell
07-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Just got back from a few days out in Idaho for a wedding. Will be updating this week with some more modeling as I get back into it (unless I spend too much time building Getter1/Janx Robotech models).

Yeah, really love the surfing mecha. The show is so similar to much anime fare, but has such interesting twists that sets it apart. One of my favorites.

legion
07-14-2009, 02:10 AM
I agree with you there, TLHarrel. *Eyes his 1/144 Nirvash type 2. I think this Gekko Go will rival the XB-70 in size when constructed... Or it will dwarf it.

Wulf111
07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
looking forward to seeing this one completed its one of my favorite animes also ... just watched the Movie vary different from the series.

TLHarrell
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Finally, some progress on the 3D model! I've been alternately playing too much World of Warcraft and staring at the pictures while my brain appears to liquefy. This one's not real easy. I've broken away from my straight bottom, rear and side shots and have started freehanding a little more based on the frame I already have and the reference pics.

http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe4.PNG

Perhaps more progress tonight, but I'm off for some dinner. :)

TLHarrell
07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Starting to sort out the connection between the wings and body/engines. Also figured out the rest of the upper spine of the model. More progress soon hopefully.

http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe5.PNG

Found a severe 3D modeling limitation in Autocad (2002)... something I've never run into until now since I'm making a model with 3D faces instead of a solids model... If you make a 3D face, select your vertices COUNTERclockwise or the face will render invisible on the outside. And, if you mirror a 3D face, it messes up the outside (normal) face, turning the new mirrored parts inside out. So, essentially I have to retrace new faces onto the opposing side of the model. No fun. :(

Solid modeling for something like this is really tough, so this is the reason I'm stepping way out of my usual modeling area. Also, since I'll be offering it to a Halflife 2 Mod as a replacement for their less accurate Gekko, this would be the format they need, so it makes sense all around. At least I'm learning in an area I haven't touched much. :D

Janx
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
If you need any more reference images/ screen grabs let me know.

Does auto cad have an option to set normals? if so see if you can reverse or invert them. Most 3d modelling programs use the vertice creation to set the orientation of the face normal, anticlockwise for face out is the standard.

I use Maya and have to constantly reverse the faces for mirrored parts and set normals to face as they appear black in pepakura, so I know your pain well.

Keep it up the model is looking excellent so far.

ThunderChild
07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
I use Maya and have to constantly reverse the faces for mirrored parts and set normals to face as they appear black in pepakura, so I know your pain well.

Hehehe! It sooooo warms the heart to see I'm not the only one constantly having to do this! :D
What I've been doing lately is to just design one side, unfold and just flip the entire final page in photoshop. Saves a little time.

TLHarrell, This model is shaping up nicely! I can't wait to see it in all it's glory! Good job, and I hope the advice Janx has given helps.

TLHarrell
07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
I will poke around and see if there's a flip normals tool somewhere. The built in help, which I use when in uncharted territory only has one minor mention of normals, and it's absolutely no help whatsoever. There's very likely a .lsp (LISP) routine that would be helpful but I wasn't thinking about that possibility at the time.

I could actually ignore the glitchy normals and go ahead without the effort, but as I'm going to hand the model over to this other modding community to use on their game mod, I'd like the model to be properly built so they don't have to go fix it. For building the paper model, the screwed up normals aren't such an issue.

Oh, and had a few thoughts on releasing the model. I figure I'll do a 24" model with downloads as PDF in both 8.5x11 and A4 so people have a choice and know that what they print will be correct without resorting to scaling. I'll also likely release a 12" version soon after. The two models will differ structurally as the 24" will require a beefier subframe to hold the wings and neck in position. (Yes this is not just a skin only model... those drive me nuts.)

TLHarrell
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Janx- Thanks for the offer, but I've got over 300 screen grabs including every possible detail of the ship including all weapons ports and pretty much all the panel lines. Also have shots of the internal structure of the wing which will show around the edges of the "flaps". I spent literally days sitting at the computer running through the episodes to get the material. Boring, but well worth the effort.

(Was eyeballing some exterior shots of the "Cygnus" from the old movie "The Black Hole" last night. Maybe will make a paper model of this in the future so I can annoy the #$@* out of people who try to build it. Heh heh.)

SEBRET
08-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm looking forward to an up size attempt of this model. >_> <_<
A six foot version would look great hanging from the ceiling. Watching with much interest.

Janx
08-02-2009, 02:20 PM
TL glad to see I am not the only one who watches these to see what some thing looks like from all angles :)

It's shaping up well, the size choices sound excellent.

TLHarrell
08-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks all for the support on this model. It's been a lot of fun so far, and the best is yet to come! I can't wait to start my test build.

TLHarrell
08-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Nothing better to do today, so I've been doing some modeling.

http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe6.PNG
http://thomas.harrell.googlepages.com/GekkoWireframe7.PNG

Janx
08-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Starting to come to life, like a swan spreading its wings.

Wulf111
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
coming together very nice keep it up.

TLHarrell
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Janx, Thunder:

I looked into the possibility of flipping normals in Autocad. Well, bad news is NO. No .lisp routine exists, and it's not a command feature in Autocad itself. Several boards where I dug deep enough to find the tiny references about normals stated that your option is to export to 3DSMax or some other 3D software and flip them there.

So... for anybody's future reference, if you're using Autocad to make 3DFaces for your model surfaces: make faces COUNTERCLOCKWISE, and RENDER often to double check. And don't even think about mirroring those faces either.

Oh, well... I'll do it the hard way. Since when was this about being fast anyway? :-)

ThunderChild
08-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Oh shucks! :(

Sorry to hear that buddy.
One other thing I can suggest when needing to mirror WHOLE parts like the wings etc. is to model the one side only, then do a flip in pepakura or photoshop way at the end of the design process. It has saved me some design time in the past... Hope it helps...

TLHarrell
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
If I were only doing this specifically as a paper model it wouldn't be an issue. When I go to apply thickness to the parts and unfold them it'll get translated the way I need it to be.

The only reason I'm trying to keep the normals correct way round is that I'm also donating the model to a game (Halflife 2) modding community when it's done as a replacement for their much less accurate Gekko.

I had originally contacted them regarding using their 3D model for a papercraft since it was the only model of the Gekko available online. They were more than helpful providing much reference material. However since I'm Mr. Perfectionist, I started nitpicking their version. I decided to redo the thing from scratch. So, to support them for their efforts, I'm offering my model back to them. Figured it'd be a huge improvement for their game mod, which I also look forward to seeing completed.

If anybody else is into computer games, might want to go dig through their site. The mod is coming along nicely. http://www.liftmod.org (http://www.liftmod.org/)

adam4472
08-17-2011, 04:17 PM
i joined this website just to find out what was happening with this model and would really like to know plz

Stev0
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
It's been two years. I think we had the services for it a year ago.

RIP thread.

adam4472
08-19-2011, 09:41 AM
did he ever finish it if not i would like to pick up where he left off

TLHarrell
09-03-2011, 06:12 PM
It will eventually happen. Been trying to keep the family afloat with numerous side jobs, and starting up a laser cutting business... it's not totally dead... just postponed.

charleswlkr54
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
What series was this from?

ltla9000311
09-04-2011, 10:18 AM
What series was this from?

An anime called Eureka 7.

Zuhan
12-17-2014, 01:28 AM
I am guessing this model was a flop?

Gantorin
01-02-2015, 11:14 AM
TLHarrell,
This is looking great! I too have been wanting to build a Gekko, but as a flying RC Plane. I would like to ask what measurements are you using? I am looking to make it a twin EDF (Electric Duct Fan) foam and balsa build with poly coating. I would love to use your dimension if I could. If not I will just draw it out, and work on composing my own. I just figure this would save me some time. Not that is matters... I have never flown an RC plane yet, but I have everything to do so. Figured I would practice as I build.