PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Norge Dirigible

wireandpaper
05-08-2018, 12:24 AM
Hi dear All:
I restarted a SS Blimp by Bruno, and I stumble in my files with these vintage model of the Norge that I found somewhere in the hyperspace. But I do not remember where or when.
I wanted to know the scale of the model but being a series of 11 concentric truncated cones it was going very difficult to do the math, so I decided to built a "draft" model to find out.

THE DC
05-08-2018, 12:44 AM
Let's see the kit you found.

Great thread!

wireandpaper
05-08-2018, 12:47 AM
Here are the pictures;
It is a little bit fatter than 1/400, and a little bit shorter than 1/400, closer to 1/500 in length. So it is like "chibi".
It is obviously pro-Nobile, as no reference to Amunsden, nor Ellsword.
Also, pro-Italian (no offense intended) as no Norway flag is flying, but an Italian and it has a fasces shield in the front, so the model would be from somewhere in the inter-war era. Despite the model not adhering to photographic evidence in the marking, for sure it was a patriotic icon.
Does any one has more information on this model?
Happy cutting, folding and gluing!

wireandpaper
05-08-2018, 12:51 AM
I printed a mirror image for the back of the fins and the engines that only had one side.
I hope you enjoyed,
And thank you DC, or "the DC"

Vermin_King
05-08-2018, 07:26 AM
My copy of that came from the old Toto site.

Don Boose
05-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Nice work on this antique decoupage.

Don

Thumb Dog
05-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Hi All,

And hi, wireandpaper. I'm so happy to finally see a build of this old semi-ridgid airship. Your draft model looks good, and it would be a useful reference if I ever get off the stick and try to build my copy myself. It looks like the trailing edge of the fourth ring might require some tweaking to smooth out the transition into the fifth ring, but it all seems doable. Well done.

Umberto Nobile, the "co-commander" of the Norge, is a fascinating figure in the history of aviation, and his rise to glory and ultimate downfall make for an interesting tale.

Thanks for the build, and I like your wire stand for the model, too. The whole model represents a clever use of wireandpaper.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog

wireandpaper
05-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Thank you all for the comments.
Thumb Dog, I look at your "Instrumentos de Guerra" and the Zeppelin you built had the same issues with the rudders and propellers, needing a mirror image as well.
Happy modeling.

THE DC
05-09-2018, 10:02 PM
I printed a mirror image for the back of the fins and the engines that only had one side.
I hope you enjoyed,
And thank you DC, or "the DC"

I don't know if it helps you, but a version of this semirigid was sold on Fiddler's Green site:

Norge Polar Explorer Airship | Aircraft | (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Norge-Airship.html)

Would that help? I noted that the one you got is slightly misshaped but maybe comparing its size to the FG ship that is scaled...

wireandpaper
05-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Thank you very much.
Indeed, the Fiddler's is a better model and much more accurate than this maybe "propaganda" model.
This is in between chibi and regular scale model, with a lot of artistic license.
I found a better copy of this model with clearer shades.
Happy modeling!

patriciaeureka
05-12-2018, 01:09 PM
http://http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=348867&stc=1&d=1526152112

wireandpaper
05-14-2018, 12:44 AM
Merci Patricia:
This is a far better copy, crispier than the one I used.
Gracias de Nuevo, Thanks again.
Pablo

wireandpaper
05-20-2018, 10:31 PM
I found this diagram of the Norge.
Happy modeling!

Butelczynski
05-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Is this model designed as "snap-on"? I have seen bunch of plastic models like that and 3D buildings but never anything flying and in paper.Interesting.

wireandpaper
05-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Is this model designed as "snap-on"? I have seen bunch of plastic models like that and 3D buildings but never anything flying and in paper.Interesting.

Yes indeed it is a "snap-on" model, but as in pl@$+1c (pl@$+1c) I used glue, just in case.

Look at the arrows, where some of the tabs would go.