PDA

View Full Version : VigLink Added Links

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Can we turn this off?

There are all sorts of odd links being added into posts these days. When you hover your cursor over the link it says 'Link added by VigLink'

blake7
11-30-2018, 08:38 AM
I see it too. Just started last 2 or 3 days.

jaffro
11-30-2018, 08:44 AM
https://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

airdave
11-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Maybe this has been fixed? because I can't find these links you speak of anywhere.

jaffro
11-30-2018, 08:55 AM
I think you need to check out your own PC or device for this Viglink thing as it only appears to be affecting some people and not others. I noticed you specifically mention words in your Bessie thread that have been turned into links, but I can't see them.

blake7
11-30-2018, 09:01 AM
This is what I see.

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 09:05 AM
By going to Jaffro's link, https://www.viglink.com/opt-out/, I opted out and the odd links no longer appear. But it says that clearing your browser will require opting out again. I hope there is a more permanent solution

blake7
11-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Worked for me, but where did it come from?

airdave
11-30-2018, 09:21 AM
I don't see any of these links.

I'd suggest running some spyware/malware tools.

Spybot is free. I run a scan at least once a week.
I don't run Spybot continuosly, just turn it on, update it, and scan when i want to.

Maybe go into your Browser mods/plug-ins and see whats there.
Might be something new that you need to disable.

airdave
11-30-2018, 09:23 AM
I just looked it up...VigLink is something you sign up for and install.
Its a way of getting paid to click through links.

Maybe you installed it with another software?

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 10:18 AM
I'll have to check on it tonight. Thanks for checking into it

rickstef
11-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Strange, i started noticing hyperlinks on my cellphone, but not on my laptop last night, and this was the first thread I opened when i just got online, and saw the word links underlined.

i followed the opt out link, and opted out, and then came back to this thread, and refreshed, and all hyperlinks were gone.

interesting though, the viglinks only show up in the forum, no where else for me, which initially led me to believe it was something that was added to the forum, but Jason has told me, he only has advertising when guests who are not members or logged in will see, or when downloading a file from our download section.

hmmm, curious

Rick

Rubenandres77
11-30-2018, 11:30 AM
It has happened to me before by installing software and hitting "next next next" without really reading.
An also by visiting some websites that install the link add-on when using them.

Is not really serious, just a boring.

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 11:38 AM
If other folks were seeing it, I didn't want folks to think I was pushing the websites that are in the odd links. I do hope I can figure out how to get rid of this tonight

John Wagenseil
11-30-2018, 12:45 PM
I am only guessing here but it sounds like Vigilinks is junkware that piggy-backed into your PC or phone when you either installed another application, or as an email attachment, or when you visited a site that asked for and was given your permission to view its contents and "enhance your viewing experience".
If you are running Windows on your PC check your installed programme list (use the control panel to get to it ), and get rid of any recently installed programmes that appear on the list that you did not install and which have a reputation for being junkware when you google them.
Use "Windows Task Manager" to see what applications and processes are running on your computer and kill and delete any that are associated with Vigilinks or any other junkware or malware. There are websites that will help you identify and delete unwanted processes if you cannot do it on your own.
Look in your browsers "tools" and find the list of add-ons and extensions that are installed on your browser and delete any that deliver adware. You can google or bing the name of add-ons to see if they are legitimate aps or if they are junk ware or sneak ware.
Run a legitimate registry cleaner like CCleaner or Wise Registry Cleaner to get the unwanted stuff out of your computers registry (be VERY careful when you mess with the registry, make a mistake and you can kill your computer.)
Run you installed antivirus program and also use a free scanner from one of the big legitimate anti virus program companies like Malwarebytes or Housecalls or Kapersky, or EEK. I have not used it in a long time but Spybot Search and Destroy used to be a good adware remover. Google it and see if it is still a recommended programme. Again, be careful because a lot of malware is disguised as free anti virus or diagnostic programs.
BleepingComputer.com offers a lot of advice and tools for fixing computer problems.
Good luck, have fun malware hunting.

blake7
11-30-2018, 01:04 PM
My cell phone is doing it too. This is the only place I have seen it happen.

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 01:26 PM
My cell phone is doing it too. This is the only place I have seen it happen.

Likewise. Only on this forum.

Falco
11-30-2018, 03:51 PM
I was reading into this and it looks to be "website" related... Perhaps Papermodelers.com is trying to generate some sort of revenue stream to keep itself going.

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 04:28 PM
I doubt that, but it may have inadvertently happened

JohnM
11-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Dunno if this is helpful or not, but I have not seen these links at all. :confused:

I'm running Win10 pro 64bit v1809 with Chrome browser. Don't currently run a cell phone so I can't check that.
I also have a Win10 home 64bit v1803 Laptop with Chrome browser. Not seeing the links there either.

Rubenandres77
11-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Dunno if this is helpful or not, but I have not seen these links at all. :confused:

I'm running Win10 pro 64bit v1809 with Chrome browser.
I'm using the same system, but with Firefox, and have not seen them either.
Probably adblockers, and Java Script blockers work to prevent this issue.

blake7
11-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Windows Defender, and Spybot found nothing.

Vermin_King
11-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Did a thorough cleanup on my computer, full scan, etc. and now the odd links are back. Razzum frazzum

Isaac
12-01-2018, 09:52 AM
There is some sort of a spam kind of link floating around our forum ( VigiLink ).

My analysis:
It is not our individual computers. So hover over that highlighted link and do not follow it if it looks like this VigiLink ).

I just posted on my Mig-15 build thread and the stupid links showed up on 4 words without me doing anything or showing up in the preview mode. So, I just went back and edited them all out by choosing a different word or eliminating them.

The fact that we get the message "Not Secure":confused: in the Navigation bar should warn us to basically stay out of our site!. It makes it easy for the hackers out there to damage our forum.

I suggest the site masters need to cleanse that out of your server. It only happens here and no where else!

Isaac

JohnM
12-01-2018, 10:31 AM
I am still not seeing these links at all. On looking through my settings and add-ons, the only things I can think of that might be protecting me from them are Adblock Plus or 10bit Surfing protection. Both of which are active on my browser.

Dunno if it is a recent thing or not, but I've only recently noticed the 'Not Secure' notification in my address bar for this site. I'm assuming that means that this site is not yet using https protocols.

Isaac
12-01-2018, 11:19 AM
I just went thru my Mig-15 Marathon thread. It was started in 2014 well before this VigiLink crap started and noticed some words have a link.

It is this server that has been hacked or highjacked. Now we are all infected!!!!!

Isaac

Seascape
12-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Sorry Johnny, but on my computer your post #25 has the words "links" and "active" as VigLink. Started a few days ago and is on both my home and work computer on this forum only. Running Safari at home and FireFox at work. Both iMacs.

On the post from Isaac today, the word "Marathon" is a link.

Fred

John Wagenseil
12-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Oh Oh,
I am now seeing the Viglinks, when using Firefox, and when using Iron Portable running inside a sandbox, but only when I am logged on.
There are no intrusive links when viewing this site as a guest, which suggests papermodelers.com has been hacked.
I am afraid that like a well loved pet, our forum is infected and needs strong medicine in-order to be de-wormed and it should be placed in a more securely fenced yard (make this a secure site) to keep the bad dogs away.
Maybe the server provider has decided to monetize the hosted sites by selling access to viglinks w/o informing the customers. Jason should have a word with the folks who maintain the server which hosts this site.

rickstef
12-01-2018, 01:47 PM
I highly doubt that the server, in turn the hosting company where the forum resides was hacked or infected, bad for business, ya know.....

In post #3 of the thread, Jaffro gives the opt out option directly from viglink, if you visit, opt out and refresh the thread, all the links you saw, disappear.
I would recommend you do so, which gives Jason and I some time(and less headache) to contact the hosting company, the people who author vBulletin, and any other entity we might need to contact.

Granted it is not a perfect solution, but it a workable one.

Rick

Rubenandres77
12-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Using Firefox.
And just tested with Chrome.

Nothing on my side.

Has anyone who has the problem cared to check by logging into other forums?

My guess is that somehow VigiLink is exploiting some security breach on the user side. It could be as simple as a defective add-on, or something as complex as some system update.

If the problem were inside the server of this forum everyone would be experiencing the problem with the links. And I'm not. So it is not the forum server.

John Wagenseil
12-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Very odd, I went away, deleted cookies and history, refreshed browser, and now the highlighted links are gone. Must be poltergeists in the RAM.
An edit, a few minute after the above post.
No, my mistake, I Just went back a couple of pages, and the links are there, but on a different set of words.

Viglinks has been annoying people for several years, I found a link to a site that discusses how to get rid of it
https://earnyousomemoney.com/how-do-i-remove-my-website-from-viglink/
I found another discussion board, where it is mentioned that a user only saw the highlighted links when logged into the forum, not as a guest.

After a few more minutes browsing, it seems that to get rid of viglinks, you have to search your website's code and delete the viglink code snippet.
This page from the viglink web site explains the benefits of their product and how to add it to your own web site.
Content Monitization - VigLink Convert - VigLink Insert - VigLink Anywhere (http://www.viglink.com/solutions/)
I hope someone finds this useful.

SCEtoAUX
12-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Here is some more strange goings on by viglinks.
In the thread about http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/civilian-wheels/36897-volkers-advent-calendar-53.html

Post 528 by st george the words Land Rover is not a viglink.

In the reply by JohnM in post 529 the quote of st george's post has the words Land Rover as a viglink.

In the reply by ricktef in post 532 the quote of st george' post has the words Land Rover as a viglink and the word kit in rickstef's reply is a viglink.

I did that opt out thing and allowed the browser (Firefox) to keep the viglink opt out cookie. Maybe something more needs to be done.

57townsman
12-01-2018, 05:25 PM
I’m reading the forum on my iPad and I see the links across the board. Maybe a third party has added the links for their own benefit.

Isaac
12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Using Firefox.
And just tested with Chrome.

Nothing on my side.

Has anyone who has the problem cared to check by logging into other forums?

My guess is that somehow VigiLink is exploiting some security breach on the user side. It could be as simple as a defective add-on, or something as complex as some system update.

If the problem were inside the server of this forum everyone would be experiencing the problem with the links. And I'm not. So it is not the forum server.

It is the forum server!!!!

I see it on my desk top, laptop, tablet and phone . All in the last few days . And only on this site!

Some locations or countries May have blocked it, but it clear to many of us and we see it.

Either some one gave them permission or the site has been hacked.

And get the security for the site fixed. It is inviting all the hackers in .

I will not post anymore content until it is fixed!

Isaac

rickstef
12-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Isaac, have you visited the link posted in #3?

and have you opted out?

we were not hacked, the server was not hacked, and the server is not infected(remember bad for business)

Rick

Rubenandres77
12-01-2018, 08:35 PM
It is the forum server!!!!
Isaac
If it were the forum server then everybody would experience the same problem.
The fact that not everyone is having it, proves it is not the server. It is a localized event. Not a global one.

Don Boose
12-01-2018, 09:27 PM
For whatever diagnostic value my two bits may be worth: It may not be global, but within the past few days those vigilinks have now shown up in the Paper Modelers Forum threads when I access the Forum from my PC and from my Mac.

So far, I don't see the links anyplace but here.

I thought I could uninstall VigLink, but I can't find it on my computer. It is not listed in my programs or in Task Manager.

Don

Isaac
12-01-2018, 09:49 PM
Isaac, have you visited the link posted in #3?

and have you opted out?

we were not hacked, the server was not hacked, and the server is not infected(remember bad for business)

Rick

Once I log in and try to opt out, then they will check me later on. Why would I need to opt out if I never opted in in the first place.

Do not be delusional. This site was targeted by whatever means ( purposely or not ). The server masters need to sever the association with those shysters.

Isaac

Don Boose
12-01-2018, 10:10 PM
After rereading this thread, I went to the link John Wagenseil provided in Post #31, opted out and rebooted the computer. The VigLinks are now gone (until the next time I delete cookies).

Rick - Is there a way that Jason can "search [the PM Forum] website's code and delete the viglink code snippet"?

Don

rickstef
12-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Don, I know we had a similar episodes early on in out existence, and he was able to change some setting.
I haven't gotten a reply to my most recent email to Jason.

Isaac, I can do with out the dramatics, it doesn't help us with anything at this time, if you have read any of the previous posts, and some of the removal instructions, you would have seen that it is something usually on the client side, and not server side, as you so loudly proclaim. And it seems that only those of us located in the USA are seeing this, our foreign based friends are not affected.

Rick

Jason
12-01-2018, 11:26 PM
I will have a look tomorrow to see what is up with the add-on as it should not be highlighting keyword links as I personally find that annoying. The software has been running for the last 3 or 4 years without an issue, but something obviously changed. In the meantime I have disabled the add-on so we should not be seeing those issues. Thanks for letting us know about the issue.

Jason

DWest
12-01-2018, 11:31 PM
I just clicked on one of the links, opened their privacy policy, opted out and the links are gone. So far anyway.

Jason
12-01-2018, 11:34 PM
If anyone is still seeing the links once you refresh the page please pm the url for the page so I can have a look.

Jason

Texman
12-02-2018, 09:21 AM
Cleared history, cache and cookies. Shut down the site. Opted out of viglink.

Still seeing them here. Win 10/Chrome browser.

Don Boose
12-02-2018, 09:25 AM
No links here in Carlisle using Win 10/IE on my PC.

Thanks for the feedback, Rick, and the responsive action, Jason.

Don

Texman
12-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Also just checked it with Win10/IE, and still there.

Texman
12-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Ok, here is an update. I block third party cookies as a standard.
In the url bar, I do get the "not secure" message for our site.
Clicking that, I get a pop up menu, one of which is "cookies". I clicked
that, and it shows allowed/blocked cookies. Under blocked, is the viglink.com
cookie. Remembering that blocking/removing cookies in the opt out message,
would not allow the opt out to function, I allowed the viglink.com cookie.

Links issue has disappeared.

This was under Chrome. I assume IE would respond the same.

Question becomes, how did viglink get to be in our system. It is a tracking adware
thing.

murphyaa
12-02-2018, 11:07 AM
I opted out yesterday. When I came back, the links were back. I had to opt out again and refresh. Looks like any time you shut down your browser and restart it, they come back.

rickstef
12-02-2018, 11:08 AM
viglinks was set up to help offset some of the cost of running the site, albeit minimally.
mostly on the non logged in, guest browsing side of the forum.

the intrusion into the logged in Member side of things is a recent occurrence, in the early days/weeks of the forum, this happened as well, and we were able to correct it.

So for those who believe the server was hacked, the forum compromised, it wasn't, it is one of the small ways we try to make money to help run the forum, it just decided to hiccup and cause us some heartburn.

Rick

Isaac
12-02-2018, 11:27 AM
So as I said the first time. It is not us as user, but the server that causes these to pop up!

Regardless of hacking or its installation on purpose it needs to be removed. It adds no value to our site and in my preference, it should be removed and trashed.

The server masters decided to monetize this site with useless links that will invite malware soon after.

Isaac

Texman
12-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Isaac,

This site does not run itself for free. It costs the owner money to pay for the site.
It was not monetized to make money, only to help pay for the monthly cost.

As it has been stated, I showed how to stop the links issue. Jason and Rick have explained
it is just a glitch. It was setup only for the visitor/non logged in crowd.
Jason is looking into it.

Don Boose
12-02-2018, 01:48 PM
While I was able to opt out of the links on my PC, I have been unable to do so for my MacAir. Instead of an opt out button, I get rather complicated instructions on renaming my website. Can anyone with an Apple computer tell me how to kill the links?

Don

airdave
12-02-2018, 01:59 PM
LOL what links?

I don't see whatever you is talkin' 'bout.
Either on Chrome or Firefox...no odd links. haha

You guys are crazy.

SCEtoAUX
12-02-2018, 02:45 PM
I did some checking and found that with Adblock Plus enabled on papermodelers the links show up. With uBlock Origin enabled the links disappear.

I then removed the viglink cookies and with uBlock Origin enabled the links do not show up.

airdave
12-02-2018, 03:25 PM
lol don't know what uBlock Origin is,
but I have Adblock Plus running and enabled for this forum...still don't see any links.

Isaac
12-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Isaac,

This site does not run itself for free. It costs the owner money to pay for the site.
It was not monetized to make money, only to help pay for the monthly cost.

As it has been stated, I showed how to stop the links issue. Jason and Rick have explained
it is just a glitch. It was setup only for the visitor/non logged in crowd.
Jason is looking into it.

Hmm.....

First I said it was the web site / Server and was told that nothing to it, it is my computer and I have to go thru the BS of Opting out.

Now, I hear that the owner of this server allowed the VigLink to reside here and therefore it "defrays the operating cost". So at least we now know that it is not us users that have created this issue.

The reality is that VigLink is a parasite program and along with it, it invites all sort of Malware. So why would we even consider defraying costs ( yes it is monetizing ) with this bad actor? if you want to defray cost with advertising, then OK. If you want a user fee, then say so. Otherwise it is not worth partnering with a damaging application that sends folks to places they have no need to.

As to why some folks do not see it, it is most likely looking at your IP address and if it is not here in the USA ( or other countries that control it ), it does not show up.

We are not imagining it.

Please do not PM me, I will not have a side conversation.

Isaac

airdave
12-02-2018, 04:05 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/8mMrUPBFikM8M/giphy.gif

murphyaa
12-02-2018, 04:18 PM
When I click on the opt out link, the first thing it asks me is if I'm in the European Union. When I click no, it goes to a page saying viglinks is enabled, do I want to disable. I'm guessing if you're not in the US, it's already disabled.

I don't really mind though. I know a bit what it costs to run a website (mine is bottom of the barrel, and still costs me $30 a month).
I'm wary of strange links, and don't click on them, so it doesn't bother me as much now that I know it's not a virus on my phone and laptop.

jaffro
12-02-2018, 05:01 PM
There's another workaround to avoid being sucked in to the "monetization" (not a real word) of the site and to avoid all the nasty malware and hocus pocus that comes with it (it's not malware).

Step 1: Don't click the links.

As for the reality of offsetting server costs, why not add a donate button? I know myself and others would be happy to donate a bit of cash here and there to help keep the site running, especially if it's going to keep it Ad free "and to keep the malware that's not actually malware at bay"

rickstef
12-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Isaac,

It seems you are confusing or compounding the virus with the legitimate business process.

Yes, there is a virus used by those people intent on wreaking havoc with everyone's browsing experience.

This is posted on Security and spyware news (http://www.2-spyware.com)
VigLink is a legitimate advertising service that is used by many publishers and bloggers which allows them to monetize from in-text advertising. Unfortunately, adware creators often abuse this service and flood users’ browsers (a variety of browsers can be affected – Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc.) with non-stop ads.

If you care to visit, and allow yourself to be educated, visit VigLink — Powering Content-Driven Commerce (http://www.viglink.com) and read up on their business practice.

Also, so you can use the proper terms next time.

Forum Owner = Jason
Server Owner = hosting company, which owns the server the forum is located on(doing business here in America)

From the outset, we didn't want to overwhelm everyone with advertising, so in turn we sought out minimally intrusive methods to monetize the forum to help offset the cost of operating the world's largest online paper modeling discussion forum.
And Viglinks was one of those methods, while for the past 3 to 4 years the program worked perfectly, we didn't show those links to those members who are signed in. something glitched, when it happen and what we are trying to determine why it happened, links started to be populated in the logged in member side of the forum, and one method to remove them from your browsing experience which is provided by VigLinks themselves is the opt out as posted in post #3.

So, as I mentioned in my previous replies to you, the server wasn't hacked, the forum wasn't hacked, we are just trying to make some money to help pay to provide to you(mostly ad free) a forum experience second to none. If you have any other method of helping us to defray the costs, Jason and I would love to hear them.
If you have no ideas to help us out, do you have a spare credit card we could use instead?

Rick

sgoti
12-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Just tried this thread with Chrome on Linux- no links.

Android and Chrome- links showed up.

MacOS and Safari- links showed up.

MacOs and Chrome- links showed up.

-THEN-

I installed a VPN extension for Chrome and set my location outside the US.

No links.

Got a VPN app for MacOS, set my location outside the US.

No links.

So, apparently us good ol' 'Muricans are the only lucky ones to see these links.

Gotta love SCS! (Stupid Computer Sh....tuff)

Good luck, if I can help let me know!

Texman
12-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Please do not PM me, I will not have a side conversation.

Isaac

Not a problem. It would seem your alarmist views would deem it a waste
of keystrokes anyway.

Isaac
12-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Not a problem. It would seem your alarmist views would deem it a waste
of keystrokes anyway.

I see this is degenerating to you name calling me now!

So i am an alarmist now? Oh well! I will keep it in mind.

Isaac

Texman
12-02-2018, 06:52 PM
It is this server that has been hacked or highjacked. Now we are all infected!!!!!

Isaac

Not name calling. Simply a statement of your response.

Isaac
12-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Not name calling. Simply a statement of your response.

You forgot to quote my related comment that either the site was hacked or someone invited this app on board . So now we know it was introduced voluntarily.

I'm not am alarmist and neither are my comments.

Isaac

rickstef
12-02-2018, 07:10 PM
you did exclaim that we were all infected. See your own post at #26 (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/656104-post26.html)

and before this episode, you weren't even aware that we had this in place.

Vermin_King
12-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Let's not let this get uglier than it is. I just won't click on any links whatsoever until these things disappear. I'm sure that this will get resolved. I just hope it will be soon

murphyaa
12-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Really, this isn't affecting anybody. So an occasional random word turns blue and has a line under it. It doesn't make it any harder to read, so as long as you don't click on the words, nothing happens.

If you do click on the word, you might find something interesting, but that is entirely at your discretion.

*Disclaimer: I am using the generic "you", not speaking about or to anybody specific.*

I believe the scientific term is "Tempest in a Teapot". Though the Tempest is a rather large airplane. Dunno how they got it into a teapot.

John Wagenseil
12-03-2018, 01:40 AM
Greetings All.
If I had known Viglinks was installed by the site or server owners, I have would put up with it, as a cost of enjoying this site. Consider it as a cover charge at your favorite neighborhood restaurant or social club where you spend a lot of time over that single cup of coffee.

Compared to other advertisers who eat up a huge amount of bandwidth, try to grab most of the screen area or even lock up your browser, Viglinks is relatively benign.
However, initially not knowing where Viglinks came from, I went into full panic mode and started worrying that my browse or worse yet my computer had been hijacked by a virus program.
Anyway, there is no such thing as privacy any more, I know "they" are watching and tracking me. I recently made an on line purchase, and now am getting a lot of targeted ads for similar products in spite of clearing my browser history, frequently deleting and reinstalling my browsers, and even changing my IP address. Maybe I should use TOR more often, or set up a VPN, and switch to Linux as my OS, but at this point I have resigned myself to becoming a commodity.
But back to the original topic, now that I know Viglinks is not the result either this site or my computer having been hacked and that it is used to keep this site funded, I will put up with it.

jaffro
12-03-2018, 03:21 AM
***Disclaimer: The following post may contain minor traces of blatant self promotion.

I'm not seeing the links (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/41673-modelik-maz-543-ss-1c-scud-b.html) on this site, I never have, when this post first popped up it took me a 30 second google search to find out what Viglinks (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/41673-modelik-maz-543-ss-1c-scud-b.html) was, and how to disable it with the opt out link.

I've seen similar hyperlinking (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/41673-modelik-maz-543-ss-1c-scud-b.html) revenue raising tactics on other forums and they're easy enough to avoid or ignore, which is why I suggested a donation system above. Personally, as a long term member of this site I wouldn't even care if there were a few ads (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/41673-modelik-maz-543-ss-1c-scud-b.html) here and there, if that's what it takes to keep the forum going but I appreciate your efforts to keep the advertising (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/41673-modelik-maz-543-ss-1c-scud-b.html) as unobtrusive as possible.

sgoti
12-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Other than jaffro's post (well played, sir!), I am not seeing any word-to-link links anymore.

So, a big THANK YOU to those who were able to address the issue.

Vermin_King
12-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Thank yourself, sir. You don't have them, but they are still there

sgoti
12-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Thank yourself, sir. You don't have them, but they are still there

D'oh!

I tried on a separate computer (different from the on I was experimenting with the VPN stuff) and they were gone.

That's why I thought the issue had been resolved.

Perhaps...

Caches need to be cleared and such?

Dunno...

<edit> Just tried another thread. Yep, still there...

Vermin_King
12-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Clearing caches brings the links back, unfortunately

I am debating with myself on setting the Opt-out page as my home page

Texman
12-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Back in post 47, I stated how to keep the "links" from appearing
in the login side.

Who has tried it? It worked for me. I do not see the "links" issue.
While it does require me to let viglink keep an "opt out" cookie, it
keeps the links issue at bay.

YMMV, but it is a means to the end. That is , until it can be resolved.

jaffro
12-05-2018, 03:46 AM
I still don't see them, never have. I'm using chrome on my phone and PC, I didn't even use the opt out link when I found it. It seems to only be affecting people in the US.

57townsman
12-08-2018, 11:08 AM
All the links are gone from every page I have checked! Thank you for making quick work of this :)

X216H
12-08-2018, 11:15 AM
I just saw a few unfortunately.

Isaac
12-08-2018, 01:28 PM
As long as the site masters allow this app ( or whatever you call it ) to reside on this forum, we will see it.

It is annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isaac

mbauer
12-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Hi Jason/Rick,

Been a member here since April 2009. Haven't paid one penny. This site is #1 of all the forums I've visited and am a member of.

More than happy to help out. If all I need to do is click the links and help pay for this fantastic site. No Problem!

Thank you for your hard work on keeping this site a safe place to visit!

Yes, at first I was annoyed, but, after realizing how long I've been here and enjoyed meeting the members and seeing what others can do, all I can say is, "Thank you Jason, Rick and all the moderators for your efforts!"!

Just call me click happy Mike.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

at6
12-29-2018, 01:37 PM
What links? I've never seen any on my computer. Must be a localized thing.