PDA

View Full Version : Apollonia 1/48 models

davelant
07-16-2009, 08:51 PM
The 1/48 Apollo models from Apollonia

TVC-15 HOME (http://www.tvc-15.com/)

seem to be available here, but not cheaply

HWJapan (http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/kenall_e.aspx?search=apollonia&sender=kenall)

cdavenport
07-16-2009, 09:00 PM
That's an understatement to be sure!

Bengt Fredén
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes, I agree - the DVDs are extremely expensive.

I am very much interested in the complete S-IVB stage, with the Apollo C/SM (including the LES tower, I believe). There are 22 model part pages in all.

Perhaps next month, with a fresh salary . . .

Best,
Bengt :D

davelant
07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
And yet, the list price is less than buying directly from the source.

Google Translate (http://74.125.157.132/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.tvc-15.com/apollonia/price.html&prev=hp&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhi5n94IbjDR07CRvwmLiHsO0zRG_g)

Gideon
07-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I like how the description says "easy to assemble!!" Something tells me that's all a matter of perspective...lol. Just looking at the detail in those models tells me otherwise (at least for my skill level).

Mechanic
07-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah! I've been wanting this for MONTHS. I wouldn't say it's too expensive (coming from someone who paid $90 for an Alan Rose Saturn V:eek:).

I finished my order and if the conversion is right, all in all it should be about $120 for the three Apollo models.

(btw, I hope Dan Shippey see this and sees how much he could probably sell his Apollo series for. As nice as Apollonia's models are, I'm sure Dan's are(will be) superior; that guy has talent.)

surfduke
07-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I would be most interested in seeing these in detail. The builds look clean.

Carl, (Surfduke)

surfduke
07-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know the author of these models? I would like to see a larger sample of the published material. The one shown on the Iron Man mission looks like a repaint and rearrangement of Ton's work, (The style is kind of obvious to my eye). If this is all original work, then the sale of them is not a problem. If it is a repaint and repackage job then I think some investigation is in order. Not on a witch hunt, just a research mission.

Surfduke

mldixon
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I was looking at a new Apollo Model at the following site.

APOLLONIA PAPER MODEL (http://www.tvc-15.com/apollonia/j2.html)

Bengt Fredén
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi mldixon,

Yes, the Saturn V Aft Interstage and the SPS engine seems to be two recent additions to the Apollonia model line. They also look very detailed.

Has anybody ordered the Apollo 8/S-VIB stage model yet? I´d like to know if it is complete with the LES tower. Thanks.

Bengt :D

mldixon
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, I am a paper modeler who saw this thread on another site, and no one could buy from the designer because he would not do business with anyone who emailed him. I contacted the Japanesse Hobby Shop and had them act as middle man for me. They contacted the TV guys and provided the ability for us to buy this model with a paypal link.
As a side note I have built all of Ton's models and consider him a real asset to the papermodel sites, and I have ordered the Apollina site models. I do not consider these even close to a repaint of his work. Every designer has a new twist and turn to every subject we build. The Quaratine trailer is as original as it gets.
The price is a little steep but what the heck, I would rather spend it on the model then see it go up in smoke in my 401k.

Thanks to all the designers, the ever humble and grateful papermodeler

tikitiki_m
07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Here is his show case's photos.
http://mimibukuro.ddo.jp/img/WF2009-summer/WF2009-summer-042.jpg
http://mimibukuro.ddo.jp/img/WF2009-summer/WF2009-summer-043.jpg
http://mimibukuro.ddo.jp/img/WF2009-summer/WF2009-summer-044.jpg

Bengt Fredén
08-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks, tikitiki,

for the showcase photos - they make me even more interested . . .

Very soon now . . . that Apollo S-IVB model is a real beauty.

Best,
Bengt F:rolleyes:

jparenti
08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
As soon as any of you buy and build any of these, make sure you post with your pics and your impressions. :D I'm still waiting until I have the extra cash to buy that S-IVB... and the quarantine trailer...

surfduke
08-02-2009, 06:12 AM
As soon as any of you buy and build any of these, make sure you post with your pics and your impressions. :D I'm still waiting until I have the extra cash to buy that S-IVB... and the quarantine trailer...

I think if you are willing to wait, one, (quarantine trailer), will be available for free soon. A little bird showed me a almost complete project awhile back. I think I could ask real nice, (with sugar on top), and get them to try and finish it.

Surfduke

jparenti
08-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Yay! (claps hands) I would like nothing better!
BTW, I got to see one of the real ones in Huntsville a long time ago. They actually had it set up with plastic partitions so you could walk inside. I had someone take my picture while peeking out the rear window. It was done up to look like the Apollo 11 quarantine trailer, with the Hornet +3 sign and everything. I assumed that it wasn't the ACTUAL one used to house Neil, Buzz, and Mike, but as a kid, it was good enough for me.
Much, much later, I found out it WAS, indeed, the trailer from Apollo 11. It was later moved to another museum somewhere else, though I'm not sure where.

rickstef
08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Right now the trailer and other Apollo 11 stuff is located on the USS Hornet, docked in San Francisco.

They had a live remote on FNC all last weekend at the Hornet

davelant
08-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Yay! (claps hands) I would like nothing better!
BTW, I got to see one of the real ones in Huntsville a long time ago. They actually had it set up with plastic partitions so you could walk inside. I had someone take my picture while peeking out the rear window. It was done up to look like the Apollo 11 quarantine trailer, with the Hornet +3 sign and everything. I assumed that it wasn't the ACTUAL one used to house Neil, Buzz, and Mike, but as a kid, it was good enough for me.
Much, much later, I found out it WAS, indeed, the trailer from Apollo 11. It was later moved to another museum somewhere else, though I'm not sure where.

My daughter, now 20, went with me often to the museum when she was small, and liked to play, running in and out of the "little house." In the new Davidson Center display at the museum, they have one again underneath the Saturn V; I don't know whether it's the real one or not, but it looks the same.

Dyna-Soar
08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
My daughter, now 20, went with me often to the museum when she was small, and liked to play, running in and out of the "little house." In the new Davidson Center display at the museum, they have one again underneath the Saturn V; I don't know whether it's the real one or not, but it looks the same.

It's the one used on Apollo 12: Apollo 12 MQF trailer resurfaces - collectSPACE: Messages (http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000587.html)

cdavenport
08-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, I am a paper modeler who saw this thread on another site, and no one could buy from the designer because he would not do business with anyone who emailed him. I contacted the Japanesse Hobby Shop and had them act as middle man for me. They contacted the TV guys and provided the ability for us to buy this model with a paypal link.
As a side note I have built all of Ton's models and consider him a real asset to the papermodel sites, and I have ordered the Apollina site models. I do not consider these even close to a repaint of his work. Every designer has a new twist and turn to every subject we build. The Quaratine trailer is as original as it gets.
The price is a little steep but what the heck, I would rather spend it on the model then see it go up in smoke in my 401k.

Thanks to all the designers, the ever humble and grateful papermodeler

Is that link still live? Are you allowed to share it?

lairdre
08-03-2009, 12:04 AM
If you go out to the original Apollonia site they now have a link to the purchase site. I placed an order 5 days ago and just this evening got notiification to pay for my order so that it will ship. So far so good.

Ron

Bengt Fredén
08-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi lairdre,

I have purchased the Apollonia S-IVB model DVD now. And I have just had a payment confirmation and a shipping update - some time around the 20th of August, it will probably be in my mail box. I can hardly wait to see it . . .

Best,
Bengt :rolleyes:

lairdre
08-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Bengt,
My order is expected to ship August 17th. HWJapan is on vacation this next week and will not ship until they return. Here in the USA you rarely see a business totally shutdown for a vacation. Oh, the diversity of other cultures! The Internet has made our world very small, here we are, you in Stockholm and me in Chicago, both discussing the same purchase we made from Japan.

I also purchased the Apollo 13 detailed capsule.

Ron

Mechanic
08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
My shipment arrived yesterday morning. I had a little trouble just trying to look at it at first, my computer wouldn't recognize the DVDs. I ended up putting them into my wife's computer and it read them fine, then I just put it on a thumb drive and loaded it on my computer. THEN Adobe wouldn't recognize it, so I had to DL the latest Adobe Reader.

But finally I had it, and it looks pretty good. Now all I need to do hook up my new printer that I've had lying in the livingroom for a month now (sigh) :p

lairdre
08-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Mechanic,

Have you had a chance to look at the Japanese instructions? Are there tips or hints on better assembly that we may need to get translated?

Ron

Mechanic
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Mechanic,

Have you had a chance to look at the Japanese instructions? Are there tips or hints on better assembly that we may need to get translated?

Ron

It all looks pretty straight forward, but I'm sure some translations would be helpful. Here's a page from the Apollo 8 instructions reduced 75%. Looks like he(?) printed several things on silver or 'chrome' paper (wonder if it's Red River).

jparenti
08-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Interesting heat shield construction method there. I don't think I ever would have thought of that...

lairdre
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
I just heard from HWJapan that my order shipped yesterday. It will arrive while I am away on a business trip. UGH.

Ron

The Mole
08-24-2009, 08:28 AM
More goodies to be had. Check it out. http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/APM005.aspx (http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/APM005.aspx)
http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/APM006.aspx (http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/APM006.aspx)

I know all of use will want these for winter projects.

Bengt Fredén
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Great find, Mole,

It´s a pity, though, that they are not also in 1:48 scale . . .
I am still waiting for my Apollo 8 S-IVB model - it should turn up any day now.
I can´t wait to see it in real life, on good quality photo paper.

Best,
Bengt ;)

jtalle
08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Actually, 1200 Yen is about $12.

lairdre
08-28-2009, 03:32 PM
My models arrived this week. I got the Apollo 8 with S-IVB and Apollo 13. I've been looking at the design and construction. It seems a little different than what most of our rocket designs have been, but it supports a lot more details.

I've printed out several pages. Most of the page layouts seem to be rotated so that an A4 page fits on US Letter paper. I've printed several of the pages rotated and so far it look pretty good. I have fould only a few things that come off the side, but I can go back and selectivly print those parts, and if they are not exterior parts it doesn't really matter.

I may start some test cutting to see how things fit before I commit to expensive paper.

I wish I knew what some of the Japanese notes say. They appear to non obvious things that may need to be done in a particular order.

So far so good,

Ron

cut 'n' paste
08-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Bl**dy hell! You're not kidding about expensive! As a comparison, I've recently seen the entire seven-series collection of Star Trek Voyager DVDs on sale for around 80 euros - the same as one of these models!

Mechanic
08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Bl**dy hell! You're not kidding about expensive! As a comparison, I've recently seen the entire seven-series collection of Star Trek Voyager DVDs on sale for around 80 euros - the same as one of these models!

I think it is a bit expensive (esp. compared to the quality and price of Ken West's models!), but are you calculating the correct price? 80 euros = ~ (US)$114, and except for the Saturn with "mobile launch", the models are about $35 a piece.

cut 'n' paste
08-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah, you're right, mechanic. The Saturn with mobile launcher (12000 yen) works out at 91 euros (129 US$), while the rest (at 4000yen) are around 30 euros (43US$). Still very dear!

the hermit
08-31-2009, 06:27 AM
any one game for the saturn and moble launcher.

hehe it looks sweet and i want to see how much paper and ink it takes to print it

kitty is requesting a dollar cost analysis before she will allow me to purchase it

:mad:

lairdre
08-31-2009, 06:41 AM
I would be interested in obtaining the Saturn and Mobile Launcher. I plan on working with the models I have, Apollo 8 and S-IVB and Apollo 13, first. I really would like to get the Saturn and Launcher even if I never build them.

Ron

NYC Irishman
08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
I just recieved my order, Im not overly impressed, Its been too much of a wait and the kits themselves are not that special.

I got the Stage 3 Kit, The Apollo 17 CSM and the Apollo 13 Recovery things.

The Apollo 17 CSM is a waste of money and postage, There are bigger and better kits of it out there, Surfduke Etc. At 1/48 its painfully small, I doubt I will ever build it.

THe 3rd stage is good, It does have plenty of bits to keep me occupied but you get a compleet CSM and 3rd stage for the same price as the previous CSM only kit....why?????

THe Apollo 13 kits is good too, Again its awfully small (I know just photoshop it bigger but I hope I do not lose too much of the graphic details) Its redemming factor is the vehicle and trailer supplied with it, Its will make an interesting diorama.

Id say if the designer continues the 1/48 project I will pick up further parts to the 1/48 3rd stage and if anyone can help me locate the BPC and Escape tower I could appreciate it, but otherwise I would have liked to see cheaper or bigger kits with some kind of digital delivery...Id love to see that line available on the Ecardmodels site for how easy that shop works...

So thats my 2 Euro's

regards from a permanently wet Ireland

John John

Bengt Fredén
09-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

I got the DVD with the sheets now - the graphics are STUNNING, to say the least . . .
However, I´m just a little bit disappointed that the LES tower wasn´t included in this expensive model DVD.

I´m going to test-print one of the pages very soon, when I have some time off. I´ll be back with a report when I have done so.

Best,

mldixon
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Well I decided that the J2 engine just wasn't what I wanted so I took Greelts J2 and substituted it into the S-IV B Apollo 8. I made the helium tanks from 1/2" balls from the local craft store and painted them. The LOX line was a bendy drinking straw sprayed with white enamel. I thought whoever did the build for the instructions in this kit left a lot to be desired. Overall I think this is going to be a great kit with a little extra help.

NYC Irishman
09-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Does anyone know if Greelt made it during the evacuation?

John John

rickstef
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
John John,

Greelt is a member here, and has been for a while

Rick

NYC Irishman
10-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know how to get the LES Tower or the 2 to 3rd stage section?

Thanks
John John

Mechanic
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know how to get the LES Tower or the 2 to 3rd stage section?

Thanks
John John

Until HWJapan listes it, it's pretty difficult (practically impossible) to get it from Apollonia.

Marco
10-12-2009, 02:33 AM
They're indeed not the cheapest models, but I'm really considering buying the Saturn and Launch Tower, and the crawler transporter as well. They look fantastic!

The Mole
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I have the Apollo Saturn V with mobile launcher and the Crwler Trasporter from Apollonia. It's a nice paper model, but you need a A3 printer to print the sheet out full size. The sheets are 16.5 X 11.7 in size. I don't have a A3 printer. I am printing mine out on 8.5 X 11 sheets.

I have just started working on mine but I am scaleing it down to go with a Saturn V flying rocket by Peter Alway.

Saturn Press Kits (http://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Saturn_Press.html)
It is 1/195 scale. I am also useing the Saturn V paper wraps from the Apollonia kit to use on the Saturn V rocket so I don't have to paint the rocket an keep the weight down. The best thing is if you mess up you just print another one.

You are all right when you say the price is High, But you will always have it there when you want to work on it. I have not regretted one time buying these two kits. They will keep me busy this winter for sure.:)

Marco
10-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Well, curiosity has won (as usual). I just placed the order for the Saturn V & Launch Tower, the crawler transporter and the Apollo 13 recovery through HWJapan.

NYC Irishman
11-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Anone know what the deal is with the 2nd to 3rd stage cone, From my best google translation it seems that its available via pre printe donly...anyone got info?

NYC Irishman
12-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok the 2nd to 3rd stage cone is available as a printed kit on A3 paper only, I juts ordered it...Really really annoying that 1/2 the kit is PDF an dthe other half is pre printed....possibly the most annoying kit producer out there...

What can I do I ordered it anyway.... booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

John John

Marco
12-18-2009, 01:50 AM
I just received the Saturn V + LUT, crawler transporter and Apollo 13 recovery. First look: very nice! Two hints on printing:
- Copy the files and change the names to alphanumeric only - I had problems opening them initially
- When printing, set your printer to printing "document" only, not "document + markings"

Marco
01-05-2010, 03:45 AM
...and a very nice holiday gift from the folks at HWJapan: they sent a DVD with the Apollo Launch Escape System, and a capsule interior diorama of Jule Verne's From the Earth to the Moon!

Marco
01-12-2010, 01:38 AM
As soon as the Santa Maria is finished, I'm thinking of making the Apollo 13 CM to see how I like these models. If all goes well I'll go on to the Saturn V, LUT and crawler transporter.

Bengt Fredén
01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Marco,

You lucky d*vil,
I had hoped that the Launch Escape System would have been included with the Apollo 8 stage IV-B bundle but, alas, it was not. I would very much like to have the detailed LES tower on top of a future super-detailed 1:48 scale Apollo 11 Saturn V build. LUT and crawler, in the same scale, later perhaps, when I am a senior citizen . . .

Do you by any chance know how to order or obtain it? I have checked with HW JAPAN but they don't have it in their online listing, just the current five models.
Does it say on the DVD cover how much it costs in Japanese Yen?
I would be grateful for any information leading to an order - thanks.

All the best from up North,

Marco
01-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi Marco,

You lucky d*vil,
I had hoped that the Launch Escape System would have been included with the Apollo 8 stage IV-B bundle but, alas, it was not. I would very much like to have the detailed LES tower on top of a future super-detailed 1:48 scale Apollo 11 Saturn V build. LUT and crawler, in the same scale, later perhaps, when I am a senior citizen . . .

Do you by any chance know how to order or obtain it? I have checked with HW JAPAN but they don't have it in their online listing, just the current five models.
Does it say on the DVD cover how much it costs in Japanese Yen?
I would be grateful for any information leading to an order - thanks.

All the best from up North,

No, I just got the DVD in a sleeve, and it was sent a few weeks after I ordered as a Christmas gift from HWJapan. You might try and ask them if they sell them separately.