PDA

View Full Version : my Russian Battleship

ct ertz
07-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I am in the middle of running my wife's chat board on her blog talk radio show and decided to sneak over here to say hi! Those logged into the chat are busy listening to my wife roast some politician or another. Oh I like watching her get heated while she talks, her freckles come out!

Any how, I did some more work on a Russian battle ship today. That is, I got one ships launch done and another torpedo launching boat started. I downloaded this 1:250 scale model from a Russian site I was directed to from here. Pleas forgive me, I can not find the link just now, but I am looking. The site also has some other great downloads, but they are all in Russian.

This model is a battleship from around 1902 or 04 I think. It must have been a great ship, for even in a paper model their is a lot of detail. The ship launches alone are detailed with benches and a small torpedo tube or machine guns!

This model has been on the back burner so to speak, so I work on something from time to time. I have many models going on, but this one is intimidating, in part because I can not read the directions! Keds Girl Lala, you out there?

Any how Between my other builds, by cookie baking, bread making, house work and other choirs, I will work on this fine model. Slowly!

For now, back to my wifs show and my cheap beer! Ahhhh....beer.:D

Tim Crowe
07-19-2009, 02:43 AM
I think the site you are after is: Navarin.Ru (http://www.navarin.ru/)

Tim

ct ertz
07-19-2009, 10:32 AM
That's the one! Thanks Tim. If you go to the Download page, the battle ship right at the top is the one I am working on, well I am working on the boats anyhow. I hope to have pictures up soon! So much going on these days!

Golden Bear
07-19-2009, 01:46 PM
CT, I recently referred someone to that same model but was told that there are problems with it. I don't know about that but the price is right and it doesn't look too bad to me. I'd give it a try, but me, I'd redo the deck color first. Decks should be more like a faded tan (look at the Richelieu build that Barry's doing).

So where are your little boat pictures?

Carl

ct ertz
07-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Here are a couple of shots of the boats.

As to the ship, the decks are going to stay that bright yellow this time. I printed these out some time ago, before I had Gimp. This free-bee is a good practice model for me, I have never done one so big with so many parts.

Carl, you have a number of ships I would like to build, and Digital Navy as well, but until I get a bit better at building, it would be a wasted effort. I really like the pre-WW1 era ships!

doug
07-19-2009, 04:46 PM
very nice,the work you guys do on the small stuff gives me something to shoot for,keep us updated,doug

Golden Bear
07-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I hear you about the color stuff. Just BUILDING is the most important thing so don't bog down on something silly like that.

Your little boats look damn fine (can I say that or do I need to say d*mn?) from here. It sounds like you may become a convert to the Light side if you are fond of pre dreadnoughts. I should warn you that it is addictive - I found my first book about them when I was about 15 and you see where I am 40 years later.

Carl

ct ertz
07-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys for your comments.

I have always liked the Civil War era ironclads, but I have taken a real liking to the post Civil War to WW1 battleships and coastal/river monitors. Lucky for me, there are so many great models for this period out there!

As far as building goes, I always have so many things going on. I have at this time the a mini Gladiator started, the Bristol Fighter (it intimidates me!), the BA-3 Russian truck, and a test build of an ironclad for Dragos, plus this Russian Battle Ship.

Right now though, I have to get back to my dumplings, dinner is almost ready!

Michael Mash
07-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Nice work on those boats CT. I am also a fan of these "old" ships.
Good luck with this one.
Mike

ct ertz
07-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, after dinner last night, I was able to start on the formers, and they are quite thick. I am using the back side of one of those super big sketch pads, the thickness of it is the same as the width of the cut out slots, so it is about perfect. Also, the art sheet was 2 by 3 feet so I have enough for all of the needed parts, and I was able to join the long card parts first, then glue them to the board as one piece. The center keel and all of the ribs are done, and with the addition of just one of the four long spacers, the ship is already quite stable. It is also gaining weight.

This is only my second full hall ship, and the first that I have made keel up. The torpedo boat from Digital Navy was the on other one with a full hull, but I actually made the waterline model first, then some days later added the hull.

I have a full day planned today, but if time allows I will sneak in and get some more done, and may be a couple of quick shots of the formers also.

ct ertz
07-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I got all the formers done. I can not hardly believe how solid the structure is! Some of the length wise formers did not line up with the "ribs", but I discovered this before I glued the card to the board. I was able to cut and move the one that was off and line it up with its mate that was near perfect, then cut the slots together, then separated them down the middle. Must have worked, thy all fit when I was done. I will try and get some pictures. Now I am gluing up the parts and fixing up a few short comings.

SJPONeill
07-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I've just started using the backing board off one of those pads as well for formers for the Udarnyj and I can not believe a. how good it is to work with and b. that I used to just toss it out when I finished a pad. I've also learned to peel off the adhesive strip that forms the hinge/spine of the pad before cutting as it is really difficult to get through...

Golden Bear
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I know that cost IS an issue - I'm a laid off layabout myself now myself - but I really like the results that I get with Bristol Board. It is pricier since it is art material but it looks nice and cuts nice. Best of all it really works well with kits that need 1mm stock.

Basically, I use 3M spray adhesive and glue together two sheets of Bristol and then use 3M to attach the plain paper template to it. I'm pretty certain that I am unique in this but I like it enough to save my tiny fund of "optional" pennies to buy it when I can.

I'm looking forward to your progress, CT.

Carl

ct ertz
07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I tried to sneel over and do some of the under water skins tonight. I got a way with getting an almost perfect fit at the bulbous bow. The second skin fit alright. At the third skin, while holding it in place with wet glue, everyone needed me for something...just at the most inconvenient time. Now the skin has some ridges in it from the rib do to misplaced pressure and I have a few glue spots showing. Things were gong so good too, but then things like this. The boat is about a hartbeat away from becoming a paper artificial reef at this point. Oh well. I will continue though. Just disappointed. I am not the world neatest modeler to start with, and when I had something working so well...should have known better. That's what a guy gets for hurrying I guess, when there is other stuff that needs done.

ct ertz
07-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Sorry I got to wining there, some days you know...here are some pics so far. Even if this ends up being a kids toy in the end, I am learning a lot.

Golden Bear
07-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Not tooooo bad. But if you are compulsive and eccentric, unlike anyone else around here (ahem) you could rip it off and put a replacement on after very carefully trimming off glue residue.

ct ertz
07-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I may do that. I am going to finish the last of the hull plates first to see how everything lines up. If it comes to it, I will reprint and redo.

I am looking at the rest of this thing with new eyes though. I wanted to pop out every porthole but now I just don't know. May be I will save that kind of detailing for another build. W shall see.

ct ertz
07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Up date...
The hull plates are done and the added paper pieces are sure to add good fuel to the fire when I lite this worthless attempt up. The pieces started to become much longer then need as the went aft, but too short to go from water line port to waterline starboard. Then, the last curved piece at the stern fit perfectly, however, though two are provided both are starboard pieces. I had to put the port side on wrong side out and paint it with red marker. Looks like crap.

I started the deck pieces, but I have no idea how they go for sure or what pieces form the visible bulk heads. Much of the bulkhead pieces are left off of the two view diagram. And, of coarse, the parts that I do know were they go do not fit. I am adjusting the formers as I go, as much as I can, but it is frustrating and slow going.

I do plan on finishing this thing if for no other reason then I do not want it to beat me. It will look somewhat like a ship when it is done. Who knows, maybe the sight of it slowly sinking in the kids pool all covered in fire and smoke will make an entertaining you tube video, we'll see.

Those Pay For models from Golden Bear and Digital Navy are looking all the more appealing!

Between the five year old fighting me over home schooling today and my model fighting me at every step, I may be close to loosing my mind. Oh well, small loss...

Golden Bear
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I just looked at the kit and I see what you mean. It seems to be a scan of a poorly printed kit. If you have some kind of graphics programs you could flip that stupid part but I don't know that it is work it now that I look at the thing. Firecrackers are fun with paper models because they don't necessary destroy all at once unlike plastic. Lighter fluid is good too. BB guns would be a thought, so that it would take a while to wear it out.

Carl

ct ertz
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
OK, this has been a great lesson so far. As the decking and ubove water hull parts are coming along, and it is starting to look some what ship like, I am becoming less gloomy about it. Everything has to be cut into place, but it is kind of working. I also have some ideas about the parts that just have not worked well.

The fun stuff is starting, like the deck skylights and superstructures. I may have pictures this afternoon on the "progress" so far. I have learned much already. I do have a question though.

I do not like the look of the overlapping hull plates, even when they work out. Is there a way to butt-end these thing (in other models that have plates that line up?

I have learned that Golden Bear's number one rule is all too true! Test fit everything. These formers would have never have lined up on the Starboard side if I had cut them out the way the printed piece shows.

I have also learned that not all models are equal. I will not complain too much about this one, because it was after all free, and if I had the proper computer-modeling skills, it could have been made a lot better. That being said though, I am glad that some of my first ship models were Civil War ironclads from MM on face book, Dragos, and Avery, and that my first full hull ship was from Digital Navy.

So I continue, when I have time, and will get this done. It will just not be a prize winner by any thought.
CT.

ct ertz
07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
A couple of quick pics with the five yea old boy. He dose not seem to mind the errors. This is of the good side of the ship. So far...so much to go.:)

ct ertz
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
A couple of close ups showing the God-all full details. :( I know that some of the mistakes I made I own out right as my own, but others, such as the rear hull not lining up and missing the red color are problems with the model. Again, these might be easy corrections if I could run the proper programs but...I cant. Not yet.

Michael Mash
07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Not bad CT. I think this is the first one I have seen being done in the white color scheme.
Mike

SJPONeill
07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
CT, I think you might be being a bit harsh on yourself on this build - I really like what I see in your pics and if anything, this thread is encouraging me to have a crack at this one as well (once I actually finish at least one of my current projects!!) I haven't had a lot to do with ships but have spent some time on and around them and my experience is that the only time a ship's hull bears any resemblance to a baby's backside is when the champagne bottle bursts on the bow - after that it's all stress and strain...

Barry
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
You have done extremely well to get so far with that particular model.

airdave
07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
hahaha ...you're still lightyears ahead of me!

my battleship would look more like a bathtub! lol

ct ertz
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys. Now that I have been getting to some of the other details, I am liking it a little better. My big issue is the connection between the upper hull and the red lower hull, or lack there of! I may just cut a piece of narrow colored paper, black may be, and glue over the length at water line. This would hide the gaps and bumps to a point. I could do it in red or white, but because it would be noticeable any way, I think I should make it look like "I meant to do that". I still have no idea were a lot of the parts go, but I will carry on.

Warnings so far for this great free model.
1) the keel length is about 1/4 inch short for the length of the upper hull plates.
2) the lower length wise formers fit well, but will ned to be gapped if you lengthen the keel.
3) the two part starboard upper lengthwise formers work, but the three part port formers are wrong and need to be measured and cut to match the starboard.
4) The back most bottom hull plates are identical, or two starboards. One needs to be flipped to make it a port.
5) Number "70" are stars-ladders and the spot marking them needs to be cut through for an opening. At first I thought these were covers of some sort and glued them flat.

That's the big issues so far. The decks seem to line up just fine other then being a bit on the long side by about 1/8 inch or so.

And, as Golden Bear mentioned, the decks seem real bright! I left mine be for now, but I may ad some light stain to them to tone them down a bit.

Back to laundry...cooking and so on...
CT

redhorse
07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I think it looks pretty good. And I'm glad you're plugging away and not just quitting, you always learn a lot from building this kind of kit. Plus they always seem to look better than you think they will when you finish :)

ct ertz
07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I will say this, with only a little work, the ships boats did come out real nice, and in 1:250 scale they will work for many other ship models so even if I do just quit, and I wont, but if I quit now the bunch of ships boats are nice!

My next big issue other then matching up parts with there proper place will be trimming the front to look good. As I said earlier, the keel is a bit, long so the aft has a bit of a space, however, the front overlaps slightly. Because of were the sides meet up with deck fixtures, you can not just slide the sides back a bit. I can fix the back opening by piecing, and the addition of the tail piece will hide the piecing, but I will have to be realcareul on how I trim the fronts down.
CT

ct ertz
07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I have gotten a bit more done, and it is coming through alright. I am working on the air ventilators and I can not figure them out just now.:(

Ignore the brat child in the pics, he thinks h needs to be in every camera shot ever taken!;)

ct ertz
07-25-2009, 04:18 PM
I forgot to add that the wells on each side of the bow need to be clipped, cut to size, and eased into place. The parts are over sized and do not fit as is. I do not know what these wells are for, the anchor may be? At any rate, they are easy enough to fit, just thought I would add this to a heads up.

Michael Mash
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I believe those wells are for the anchors CT. Looks like you are coping well with all the adjustments you are having to make. Nice work.
Mike

ct ertz
07-26-2009, 06:33 PM
A few more pics. My one air vent is in place. I ended up cutting the air vent in a number of places to get it to form right. I kind of took my cuts with the air vents used on DNs torpedo boat.:)

ct ertz
08-26-2009, 07:43 AM
I got a bit more done on the model, but with everything else going on, it is slow going. This model has its issues, but if I can make it work at my skill level then most people should be able to. And, the price is right! I hope to have pictures soon.
CT

Keds_Girl_Lala
08-26-2009, 09:30 AM
I have forgot this model... your work it is very good and you make more progress that I achieve on the two battle ship models that I try. Even with the issues you have, it is impressive.

Wyvern
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm with Lala, CT- you have nothing to be ashamed of with this build; looks great. I'm betting that you're going to complete an impressive model.

Wyvern

Greg S.
08-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Russian battleships are always interesting, IMO. The Peresviet class ships were not a successful design, but I think they were handsome ships with their high, flat sides.

Michael Mash
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Its quite a feat that you are managing to fit this work in with all the "ironclads" you have going. My hat if off to you.
Mike

ct ertz
08-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys. This model is a challenge. I have done the ecent stuff in little bits and pieces do to time. I got most of the port side on and another vent, and a few more ships boats done. Slowly!

When I re do this one, and I plan two, I will spend some time in Gimp to fix a few things. I need to flip that stern piece for sure and as mentioned before, I will color the decks a bit darker. Also, the red water line is not colored on the stern parts. Any how,
I was a bit hard on this model when I started and still believe it will tern out OK. We shall see.
More pictures soon...

ct ertz
08-27-2009, 01:33 PM
A quick shot of the next vent.:o

elliott
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Very impressed by your work on this model. Also by your determination to finish it. It's helpful to me to see how other builders work through, or around, problems they encounter.

Papercut
09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
This is not a easy kit to build! You are doing a great job of it. Russian Battleships have a character all their own. I just can not think of any ship builder who does not @ least once tries to tackle one of these monsters. I am sure you will complete, and I agree, designing, building your designs, and working on this project as well, now that is multi-tasking, not to mention helping wify. You my friend are a busy fella!!!!!!!:DRick

ct ertz
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys. I am doing a bit at a time. Even if you do not want to build the who ship, the free down load is good for the ships boats. They are all on 1 page and do work well, and include the normal oar powered launch and a few steam powered launches with what might be a small torpedo tube on a swivel (?). And they are rather easy to put together despite smallish parts. These would b useful if a guy need some late 1800s launches for other ships, but something besides the nomal row boat. Even a couple of double enders.

CT

ct ertz
09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Still working on it a bit at a time. Hope to have more ohotos soon,
CT

Papercut
09-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Looking forward to that!:DRick