PDA

View Full Version : Recolouring of 1851 navy colt by Trent

doctormax
08-02-2009, 04:18 AM
I have stared a recolour of the 1851 navy colt, have done lots of research on the gun even found the engraving that was on the original gun which i sent to trent.

So lets get started with this. first of all I got permission to do so that is an important thing when doing such things makes it good as can ask the orignal designer things when needed to.

first of all opened files in 300 dpi and made a background colour for the pages in all there is six for the gun. then dupilicated the layer of parts in this case the navy colt and moved that above my brightly coloured layer. I use a bright orange but some would prefer a different colour :) to make it easier to see when i miss parts when erasing the original image. Take time to do this as you want the shape and any parts that or needed for when you do the recolour. the image shows a part i done not this way to show what kind of mistakes one can make. but all in all the thing is to take time and to zoom in when using the eraser tool. i will post updates as i go along here if anything it will give people planning recolours an idea of mistakes one can make when undertaking such a project.

whulsey
08-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Looks like an interesting project. How's it coming along?

doctormax
08-09-2009, 02:19 AM
It is coming along good, i thought do it be a lot easier how wrong I was, I rushed into it and made a few mistakes huge mistakes such as not having it at a high dpi but on the right track now. ;)

cgutzmer
08-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Awesome :) glad its on track!
Chris

nothing
08-09-2009, 03:08 PM
i can attest at the difficulty in doing a repaint this way! cant wait to see more.

doctormax
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
alright after the computer misshap had to get back into the project in a big way must thank chris and nothing for the help here. and for not losing patience with my little errors.. i learned one thing never ever trust any site that tries to do a scan of your computer..

doctormax
08-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Update, having opened once again all the pages of parts and duplication of layers. the good thing with some parts of the models not so many parts on the different pages which made that part a little easier.. Rather happy with the progress since restarting.. oh and i am saving updates to my mp3 player every time i make a change.. dont want to end up losing everything when nearly finished as i was when disaster struck..

nothing
08-20-2009, 06:25 AM
glad you are back at it!

doctormax
08-25-2009, 07:40 AM
This is harder than I thought, to be honest when I thought of doing this I thought i few minutes here and there working on it and you get it done. How wrong I was.. I reckon I have no spent about ten hours in all on it and not finished at all yet. i suppose designing the model in the first place took longer than that so really I should not be surprised. I should get another page done today at least unless I get interrrupted once again. I never seem to be able to get a full few hours to do the thing at all. and then my brother in law comes around and just closes photoshop down without saving my changes when he goes on the internet as is his style. I have a word for him when he just closes down the programmes I am using without thinking save. So really have to get in the habit of pressing save when he comes to the door or get him to press save when he does it. Fat chance of that happening he thinks i am waisting my time doing things like this.

cgutzmer
08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Cut off his beer supply ;)

cant you turn on autosave for like every 5 minutes? :)
Chris

doctormax
08-28-2009, 07:00 AM
A little bit of an update, i hope this looks good when built sadly the source of the engraved gun only has one view so it is a bit of guess work what the parts not shown look like.

elliott
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
That is nice work depicting the engravings doctormax!

doctormax
08-28-2009, 02:07 PM
That is nice work depicting the engravings doctormax!

thanks, it was not easy finding good photos of engraved guns. Then I thought auctioneers would be a good place to look and that is where i went looking I notice a nice one sold the other week for 123 thousand pounds

cgutzmer
08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
WOW! did you buy it? :)

Looks really nice so far :D
Chris

doctormax
08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
WOW! did you buy it? :)

Looks really nice so far :D
Chris

The last few days I have been making progress do it is a lot harder than I thought it would be at first, do now knowing where the different parts go has made it a little easier to figure out.. ;)

doctormax
08-29-2009, 08:31 AM
another little update, not sure now if i will add an eagle to the handle. i am thinking just add the eagles to the sheet with the handle and the builder can add them to the model if they wish too.. some may think it over kill to have the eagle on the handle others may think it may it look better. So does anyone think it be a good idea to just add them to the sheet at the size so you can add them?

wag
09-03-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks, it was not easy finding good photos of engraved guns. Then I thought auctioneers would be a good place to look and that is where i went looking I notice a nice one sold the other week for 123 thousand pounds
If you can find a copy of COLT SINGLE ACTION FROM PATERSONS TO PEACEMAKERS by Dennis Adler it has many photos of engraved navy colts-several taken from both sides of the same gun. I found my copy at Half Price Books for a very reasonable price.

I would love to see the eagle included-I have an idea of making a replica of "Wild Bill" Hickoks gun.

doctormax
09-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry for not much progress been up to my ears in trouble, yes wag i will have the eagle on the sheet.