PDA

View Full Version : Free Tiger I

KCStephens
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I've just started another little project that I would like to share with everyone here. It's the Tiger I model that's available free at STANDARD@헪@d (http://daisenryaku.sega.jp/dengeki/papercraft.html). I decided to scale the model down in size by printing two pages to one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. I really like the weathered look of this kit, it is very attractive. This model lacks a lot of the little details that are printed on it. The constructions is actually quite simple, but, as always I have printed out multiple copies and plan to do a lot of layering to make things pop. So far, the turret is pretty much done. Now, I am starting to build the hull. This needs a lot of internal reinforcing to make it stronger than it would otherwise be. I'll keep you posted.

birder
08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
That's nice work, Kevin, what style are the tracks? Such neat work on the turret.

B-Manic
08-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Very nice Kevin. The layering you are doing really brings the model to life.

Texman
08-04-2009, 05:04 AM
If the rest of the build matches the quality of the turret build, this is gonna be on superb little model.

cjwalas
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Great to see you working your magic on another relatively simple tank kit, Kevin. I've wondered what this one would look like with a little extra work and it looks fantastic from what you've done so far.
Any idea what the original scale is on this one? The kit says "Non-scale" on it somewhere. 1/25th, 1/32....??
Chris

Zakopious
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Approximate scale:
It appears that the length of the original finished model would be about 9 inches.
The length of the Tiger I was 27 ft 9 in with the gun forward.
A quick and dirty calculation gives an original scale of approximately 1/37.
If someone has built the tiger in original scale and can provide me with a measured length of the model (gun forward), I can calculate a better scale.

Ken

Wyvern
08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
That's incredibly good work! In the thumbnails I could've sworn it was resin. Looks like you're going to have a superbly detailed Tiger when you're done. Bravo!

Wyvern

redhorse
08-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I just love watching your tank builds, Kevin! Great work!

KCStephens
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.

I'm presently working on the hull construction. I just finished adding new glue tabs here and there to the inside of the tub. I prefer to remove the original glue tabs because I find that they make for too bulky of a joint. By adding my own to the inside of the part I end up with a nice clean and flush joint. Next I will reinforce the hull with some heavy cardboard to add strength to the structure. I'll post more photos as I progress.

Approximate scale:
It appears that the length of the original finished model would be about 9 inches.
The length of the Tiger I was 27 ft 9 in with the gun forward.
A quick and dirty calculation gives an original scale of approximately 1/37.
If someone has built the tiger in original scale and can provide me with a measured length of the model (gun forward), I can calculate a better scale.

Ken

Ken, As far as the scale goes...My finished model is going to be ~5.75" long when measured from the tip of the cannon barrel to the back edge of the hull. Since I'm not too good at this calculation, I would be very grateful if you would let me know what scale I'm building.

Thanks

TLHarrell
08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I've built this one stock. Even without the additional work this one's weathering stands out. It's a very nice little model.

Zakopious
08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Kevin,

Scale of 5.75" length model.
Tiger I length equals 27 ft 9 in = 333 inches.
333" divided by 5.75" = 57.9 or 58.
Thus, the scale is about 1/58.

Ken

KCStephens
11-01-2009, 09:03 AM
UPDATE...It's been far to long since I've posted anything on this project. Going back to school full-time has put a real damper on my model building schedule. However, I still find a little free time to get some work done. Here is an update from where we left off in August...The hull is now finished and I am starting to work on the running gear. That's it for now. I'll keep posing 'till I get her finished but it may be awhile.

Clashster
11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Good looking work!

ct ertz
11-01-2009, 09:35 AM
close to 1/60 scale...aint that what FG aircraft are? This would go great with an ME-109. It looks great.

CT

modelperry
11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
It looks great in person too. Kevin was working on this one at the convention last weekend.:)

Greg

KCStephens
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Here is an update of my progress on the Tigers running gear. So far, I've been able to finish up one side. As you can see I've pretty much building it from scratch, using multiple copies of the model to get all of the pieces that are required. I will try to highlight everything that I did in more detail when I start building the other side. But for now, I'll just quickly go over what I did...

I built 8 road wheels per side rather than just the 4 that come with the kit. (yes, yes, yes, I know the real thing has twice as many...but for this 8 is enough!)

The original wheels for this kit are a simple "flat" design. I actually made them "cup" shaped and added a center hub and outside rim. They look much more realistic this way.

I also doctored up the drive sprocket and idler wheel. Now I just have to do the other side then I'll be ready to do the tracks....I've got some good ideas planned for them too.

I keep you posted.

ct ertz
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Cool, I like this a lot.
Corey.

CMDRTED
11-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Pretty darn cool. Your mods and the printing make it look as detailed as the big 1/25 kits, darn good work!

birder
11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
That looks great KC! Another little beauty.

Don Boose
11-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Fine work, as always, Kevin!

Don

Papercut
11-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Sweeeety:D. I am a fan of layering to bring out details. A fine build for a freebie. Can not wait to see what you do w/tracks!:DRick

30-06
11-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Kevin -
I saw your layering technique and am giving it a go. I found a 1:100 PzKpfw IV Afrika Corps - I did the left side of the tracks last night - looks great. I think I'll try it on a larger scale - 1:100 was a little bit of a challenge. Thanks for sharing your skillfull threads -
Gregor

KCStephens
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Running gear is complete...

I finally finished up the wheels for the other side of the Tiger. I'm not building as quickly as I would like to these days with school and all, but I'm getting very close to completing this project. Here is a brief description of what I did since I last posted here...

To add more detail to this kit, I built the wheels with a "cone" shape rather than just flat as the kit intends. To do this I cut out each wheel with my compass cutter, then with a template (that I made from some clear scrap plastic) I cut a "V" shaped notch out of the circle so that I could roll and glue them up in a cone shape.

From a second copy of the kit, I cut out the wheels rim and sidewall of the rubber tire as well as the center hub using a hole punch. I also glued together both halves of the tire tread (This kit is odd in the sense that this is made up of two short pieces rather than one long strip like all other kits that I have seen. Since I did not want the wheel assembly to be as thick as the original wheel, I cut the tread in half lengthwise and only used half of it.

An other thing that I did to add a few more details to the drive sprocket and rear take-up wheel was to cut out the openings from between the spokes and add center hubs with a few nuts and bolts.

Now, the only thing left to do are the tracks.

KCStephens
11-24-2009, 08:46 AM
On to the tracks.

The tracks for this model are rather simple in their construction. They are made up of several strips of link sections of both the inside and outside surfaces.

To begin I cut out all of the inside track pieces and glued them to a strip of graph paper using my trusty 'ol 3M-77 spray adhesive forming one long strip that could then be wrapped around each wheel assembly.

After attaching the inside half, I cut out all of the outside pieces, and glued them onto the assembly using a thin layer of Elmer's glue applied with a paint brush. Finally the edges were touched up with some acrylic paint.

The next thing that I want to do to enhance their look is to add grouser bars to each link. Hopefully I will be able to post an update here in the near future showing everything finished.

Clashster
11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Nice work! Must be track day... seen a couple of tracks completed today! Enjoying seeing this come together!

birder
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Kevin good luck with what must be a busy (understatement) schedule! You don't build tanks during class do you..:D

KCStephens
11-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Kevin good luck with what must be a busy (understatement) schedule! You don't build tanks during class do you..:D
Ha Ha ha...No, not during class. But fortunately, I have the week off (a much needed break) so I'm able to squeeze in a bit of model building time here and there between chores on my wife's "honey-do" list. It's funny when she gets home, she asks "what did you do today"....I can't tell her that I spent all day building tracks and surfing the forum....

Now onto the that gosh darn carpet cleaner.....:mad:

30-06
12-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Kevin -
Your layering technique is the best bar none. I found a 1:35 KV-1 just screamin' to have this done. I have used it on a couple of 1:25 armor subjects that are in work - it works great! Thanks again for your contributions to the Hobby.
Gregor

Don Boose
12-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Great work, Kevin. It's good to see this little beauty taking shape, especially as I have seen you working on the actual model in the past.

Incidentally, while the Blick store in LeMoyne is closing, the firm is staying in business, so we can still order from them via the Internet. They hope to open another store in Central PA when the economy picks up.

Don

KCStephens
12-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Finally Finished!

Thank you for your more than kind words, Gregor. I'd love to see some pictures of your builds even if they are still in the woks.

Thanks, Don, It's sad to see a great store like Blick come to a close....Lets hope '10 is more prosperous than '09.

Here are some final pictures of the Tiger. This model took a whole lot longer to build than it should have. With going back to school full time, working part time, and keeping everything nailed down around the house, there isn't too much time left over for modeling.

I have to say that this kit is very nice (especially the price tag - It's free). The pages are painted with beautiful weathering effects that are equal to many of today's commercially printed kits from gpm and the parts fit together flawlessly. This kit lends itself very well to lots and lots of extra details. It's up to you how far you want to go with that (or how much printer ink you have). Even building the kit straight up as is, would be very nice. You just can't go wrong with this one.

Enjoy

cjwalas
12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
As always, Kevin, your work is a real inspiration and this one has come out beautifully! I love seeing how you enhance these relatively simple kits and turn them into stunning models.
Chris

Stev0
12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Congrats on the build.

I think the layering was a great idea.

Zathros
12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
You have really brought that model too life. My son wants me to build for him and now I feel inspired too. Yours interpretation came out great.

B-Manic
12-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Great build Kevin. I really enjoy seeing what you do to bring these flat kits to life.

Clashster
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Great work! You really did a awesome job on this kit! Very cool!!

Peter Epps
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Your work is outstanding. I have downloaded the model and I am just scratching my head in wonder. I gotta try it! Fantastic.
Peter

doctormax
12-23-2009, 04:45 AM
It turned out great, that free tiger model was the first one I actually built and finished but my one was nowhere as good looking as that. ;)

Yu Gyokubun
12-23-2009, 06:24 AM
It is inspirational that effective modification of wheels and adding layers turns out this simple kit worthy of admiration

airdave
12-23-2009, 06:32 AM
I always get a kick out of how small (in reality) the Gun barrel is, on most Tanks...

and then along comes the Tiger! and it reminds you of what a Tank should really look like!
Of all "tanks" I think the Tiger best fits the image most people have of what a "tank" should look like!!

and...you have accomplished the build of what most people think a "tank model" should look like!! good job!

modelperry
12-23-2009, 07:34 AM
This turned out great! Can't wait to see it in person!

Now you gotta finish the Sherman. :p

Greg

Barry
12-23-2009, 07:44 AM
It's only after 2 or 3 passes through the pics that you realise this is not an expensive kit but superb building skills.

cdwheatley
03-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Wow that looks fantastic! I feel like trying this myself now!