PDA

View Full Version : Formula One 'Spygate'

dansls1
09-14-2007, 11:32 AM
So - any other F1 fans here have any reaction to 'Spygate'? For those who missed it and may be interested, Mclaren has been found guilty of having and 'using' confidential informatino from Ferrari and has been removed from the constructors portion of the 2007 season, fined $100 million and must prove that the '08 car does not use any Ferrari information in it's design before they can race next year. (Specifics here (http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070914155658.shtml)).
So what do you think? From reading all the information, it appears that they can't prove in any case that Mclaren actually gained an advantage from the data - only that they could have and didn't do enough to prevent the use of the information. Apparently that's enough.
It sounds like Mclaren probably will have to just take their lumps, as further appeals could jeapordize their chance at winning the driver's championship this year with either Alonso or Hamilton.
To me - I find F1 politics to be one of the key ingredients to my interest, and just find this as more entertainment value. I actually read the whole 14 page 'legal-eze' press release detailing the findings at lunch today. Fun stuff :D

Kaz
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Except the drivers can continue to drive and compete. Why? because if they didn't than no one would watch F1, because, at the moment, F1 IS Alonso and Hamilton.

SCEtoAUX
09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
The commentators during the Belgium Grand Prix pratice today mentioned that during the investigation Alonso threatened to give more damaging information to FIA if McLaren did not make him the undisputed #1 driver for the team.
They didn't. He did. $100 million, thank you very much.
Egos and polictics, what a combination.

Stev0
09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
I think it was pointless to let them continue. A fine that big only to disqualify them from the build competition portion yet let them partake in the driver's area is just stupid.

Either to disqualify them or let them continue. It was the initial act of one man that has tarnished McLaren's reputation from the manual copying incident and communication over setups. It just gave fuel to Ferrari to hold back their competition. I like Ferrari AND McLaren so this to me is something of a conundrum.

McLaren will be tied up in court over this for a LOOOOOONG time and to be honest I can't blame them for fighting it though.

whulsey
09-14-2007, 05:35 PM
With everybody all year talking about NASCAR's fines and penalities, this makes theirs look like small potatoes. Also points up that worldwide F1 still rules the motorsport roost in spite of NASCAR and the US-centric view. Reading the whole press release, beyond my level of interest. Of course, I come at it from being a gearhead mechanic so would probably spend the same amount of time reading a description of the engine valve train.

Barry
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
I find Ferrari taking the high moral ground a bit of a joke for the last 8 years they won half their titles by crashing into any other driver who was likely to beat them. I noticed no one ever took to them to the formula I "court" for highly questionable sportsmanship. The other question I have is who is going to pocket the money, sorry I just do not like kangeroo courts. I will watch Moto GP after this lot at least they overtake a damn sight more often. If Alonso can't win then he is not the champion end of story I seem to remember he was driving a car deemed to be illegal as well. Anyway bring back the real drivers like Moss, Fangio, Jim Clarke and gearboxes and without traction control just maybe it might be exciting again.

Like football it's just mega business. It would be fun if the English premier league had a few more players whose names I could pronounce and you could buy a ticket to watch where you did not need a second mortgage. Oh and Manchester United was run by an English company not a highly leveredged Yank.(Sorry to my American friends) not too keen on Russian's either.

dansls1
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
...gearboxes and without traction control...

This part will be back next year ;)

The more I think about it, the more I can't believe that Mclaren is actually letting Alonso race...

whulsey
09-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I was sort of thinking that myself. Maybe it was my bad companions in my younger day, but if you'd "dropped the dime" like that at the minimum you'd have a nasty fall going out to your car some night.

jyduchene
09-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I would like to believe that Ron Dennis thought his team was clean. With De la rosa and Alonzo having info. It creats an interesting problem. Do you fire or suspend them as any boss would who had been lied to and betrayed by his employees, Would formula 1 allow him to "take the high road" in this instance since Max and Bernie need Alonzo.
Also if McLaren were using Ferrair info, would they have been so many constructors points ahead. It seems that Honda would benefit from Ferrair data but not McLaren.

Since Michael and Ruben is no longer with Ferrari, Todt needs Max to follow team orders and pull Mc Laren over so Ferrari can pass.

John

BARX2
09-15-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm a big F1 fan, but I haven't been following this matter very closely. I try to ignore the politics and enjoy the racing. What became of the Ferrari guy who gave away their data? It seems like he's the one who should have received the brunt of the punishment. I agree McLaren should be punished for accepting stolen proprietary information. If they had done the right thing, they would have exposed the thief and turned the data over to FOM, but they didn't, so they are guilty, too. I'm just glad this hasn't jeopardized Hamilton's chance to win the championship. He deserves it, in my opinion.

paulhbell
09-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't really get this spy thing. At least 2 teams use ferrari engines, at least 2 teams use renault engines and 2 teams use Honda engines. Ain't this cheeting. This means they have an unfare advantage over the other teams, by having 'lesser teams running their engines. Sorry, but if it wasn't for it being so close this year I would not have watched it. Come back Senna, Prost, Mansell, etc. And let's have it back on the BBC it's crap on ITV.