PDA

View Full Version : USS Enterprise NX-01

Sidewinder81777
08-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Working on Clever's Enterprise. This is not a scaledown for my fleet but another birthday model for a friend from TrekLair (I build my TL pals the ship of their choice for their b-day and ship it to them)built at full designed scale. Other Birthday models I've got coming up are the Jem Hadar Battlecruiser and a sovereign class with the registry of a simm group that friend is a member of. Somewhere in there im going to be continuing my fleet also with the Enterprise-C. anyway I have the saucer done so far and here it is.
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv351/sidewinder81777/DSCN0472.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv351/sidewinder81777/DSCN0473.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv351/sidewinder81777/DSCN0474.jpg

mousemuffins
08-10-2009, 01:44 AM
ooohhh. pretty. where can I download this one?

PaperSamurai
08-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Clever Santoro's site mate :)
Dunno if i may link here, but if you google him, you'll find him ;)

jagolden01
08-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Very nice. Parts fit looks really good.

Rhaven Blaack
08-10-2009, 08:15 AM
It is looking really good. Are you going to build one for your micro fleet?
Keep up the good work.

ashevilleangler
08-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Dude! You must be very popular over at TrekLair!

Cecil

davelant
08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Heavens yes, you can link here! This isn't the bad place.

Clever Santoro's site mate :)
Dunno if i may link here, but if you google him, you'll find him ;)

davelant
08-10-2009, 07:42 PM
To cut to the chase:

Clever - Windows Live (http://cleversantoro.spaces.live.com/)

cMags
08-11-2009, 07:05 AM
ItAre you going to build one for your micro fleet?

I'm curious too how you feel this one would go at 1:1700. Maybe some of the tinier details could be removed as is done on the 1:1700 version of Nothing's Voyager.

Wyvern
08-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Looking good, Sidewinder!

Wyvern

D-WHALE
08-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm curious too how you feel this one would go at 1:1700. Maybe some of the tinier details could be removed as is done on the 1:1700 version of Nothing's Voyager.

I have Clever´s original file (.mqo)! The problem is, that the ship was converted from a game!!! Some parts are wrong unfolded, to small or cross other parts! If you use the Boolean operations for the last thing, you lost the UV-texture!
So maybe it is easier to make a new small version of the NX-01, which you can build in 1/1700!?

@Josh
The build looks good! Can you say how big the diameter is of the saucer?

CU
Marko

Loenf
08-11-2009, 08:35 AM
That looks really awesome! Its one of my next projects.

regards Loenf

Sidewinder81777
08-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Can you say how big the diameter is of the saucer?

Saucer is roughly 6.2 inches

Sidewinder81777
08-12-2009, 08:42 PM
OK have made some progress. There are some holes in this thing Ive had to patch due to clever's rather "unorthodox" unfolding but its coming together not too bad. Here are some more pics.

cdwheatley
08-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Very nicely done there sidewinder :). Just one thing though, I'm pretty sure that this ship, and others of the time e.g. Columbia NX-02, were never prefixed with 'USS' - this came later on, with the birth of the Federation.

Sidewinder81777
08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Noted and logged CD. too late to go back and edit that now though lol

Tars
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
By the way, I am really impressed by your printing quality! It looks almost like metal on the pics :)

Sidewinder81777
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
By the way, I am really impressed by your printing quality! It looks almost like metal on the pics :)
Thanks! Im just using a Canon PIXMA MX700 All-in-One

cdwheatley
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Noted and logged CD. too late to go back and edit that now though lol
Yeah I realised that, it was meant more as a nugget of useful/less(?) information :D. I've got a Canon PIXMA all-in-one too, an MP220 - works great!

Sidewinder81777
08-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Ok she's done (more or less) here are a few more pics.

ThunderChild
08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Great build man! :)

DavidW
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Ditto... great build! I'm doing that one now... though probably due to my skill level having a hard time of it.

Again asking about the printouts... are you using metallic paper?

F131
05-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Great job. Is this printed on a glossy paper? I like the metallic look.

spaceagent-9
05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
another great build from sidewinder!

cMags
05-31-2012, 10:06 PM
another great build from sidewinder!

Lol, this build was from 3 years ago.

DavidW
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
CMags... I also followed your NX01 build... it's fantastic! I have not even attempted one without tabs! Do you know if Paragon wrapped up your modifications in his download?

Neptune
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Lol, this build was from 3 years ago.

I know right? LOL! Some things are so transparent and yet the same thing keeps happening again and again. You would think that some people might learn a new tactic, or try something original, something other than ressurecting old threads. LOL!

DavidW
06-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Hmmm... I guess I am confused then. Is a person's experience with a build less impressive or important to someone who just joined the forum? If we are not to comment and "ressurect" a thread, then it should be locked to new comments. I also don't like the insinuation that I am using some sort of "tactic" to do whatever you might think I am trying to do.

mchale
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
no is blaming you davidw i have done the same thing also i think everyone has at one point or another

vulcan8630
06-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Hmmm... I guess I am confused then. Is a person's experience with a build less impressive or important to someone who just joined the forum? If we are not to comment and "ressurect" a thread, then it should be locked to new comments. I also don't like the insinuation that I am using some sort of "tactic" to do whatever you might think I am trying to do.

Welcome, DavidW! Pay no nevermind...This happened when I too first joined....I used to open many an old thread....Some of these great paper models just beg for input!!!! When I first came I did not realize how developed paper models were ..... Some of the papermodels here could easily surpass a plastice model in appearance!

Neptune
06-06-2012, 08:50 AM

I'll overlook the rightoeus indignation and just say this, as with other forums, when you see new members come in a ressurect a three year old thread, the longer term members often wonder, especially if there have been no updates, for years. There's no need to lock these old threads as they still hold pertinant data, photos, etc.. With regards to tactics.... When you see new members come in with only three, or four posts and they start off with a long dead thread, it's usually the same type of thing that has happened on other forums, where they are either trying to get links to downloads to out of print models, or models that have been pulled by their original authors as well as other reasons to try and bump old threads. On some forums you can get a warning for something as simple as bumping dead threads. I'm not a mod here, or anything, but I have seen this type of thing happen over and over, people come in with multiple user names and bump old threads for no other reason, but to knock down others work. As Cmags said "This thread is three years old." Sure, we all appreicate good work and even peruse some of the previous work of others. I myself have been guilty of finding old threads that are of interest and asking questions, or bumping them up due to the interesting nature of the content there in, let's just say that I didn't do it in my first post, of two. New members to an established forum often fins fascinating and intersting topics they haven't seen in other places.:rolleyes:

jagolden01
06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I'll overlook the rightoeus indignation and just say this, as with other forums, when you see new members come in a ressurect a three year old thread, the longer term members often wonder, especially if there have been no updates, for years. There's no need to lock these old threads as they still hold pertinant data, photos, etc.. With regards to tactics.... When you see new members come in with only three, or four posts and they start off with a long dead thread, it's usually the same type of thing that has happened on other forums, where they are either trying to get links to downloads to out of print models, or models that have been pulled by their original authors as well as other reasons to try and bump old threads. On some forums you can get a warning for something as simple as bumping dead threads. I'm not a mod here, or anything, but I have seen this type of thing happen over and over, people come in with multiple user names and bump old threads for no other reason, but to knock down others work. As Cmags said "This thread is three years old." Sure, we all appreicate good work and even peruse some of the previous work of others. I myself have been guilty of finding old threads that are of interest and asking questions, or bumping them up due to the interesting nature of the content there in, let's just say that I didn't do it in my first post, of two. New members to an established forum often fins fascinating and intersting topics they haven't seen in other places.:rolleyes:

Well, I suppose that's one opinion. Is there anything to back it up?
After searching the net, this thread might have been what pulled him in here. Seems natural to post to it. And I thought we like to get new members.
I originally started a thread in July 09 for kooklits U-Boat Type VII C build. Then I let it go for over a year. Should I not have recently resurrected that? Should no one ever have posted to that thread even though it was old?

Neptune
06-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, I suppose that's one opinion. Is there anything to back it up?
After searching the net, this thread might have been what pulled him in here. Seems natural to post to it. And I thought we like to get new members.
I originally started a thread in July 09 for kooklits U-Boat Type VII C build. Then I let it go for over a year. Should I not have recently resurrected that? Should no one ever have posted to that thread even though it was old?

1) What would you propose to back it up? Shall I go through the members list and see how many low posting members have ressurected new threads, just to disappear, or change their names and come in again? You've been around long enough, I'm sure you know of what I speak?

2) I'm all about new members, that's exactly why I post links over here from my facebook account and submit links to my friends and encourage them to join up, which several have.....:);)

3) Usually, but not always, the number of replies are directly related to, or indirectly related to the level of interest that the subject material garners.

4) If you've done recent work on an old model I don't see any reason not to update the thread. I'd like to see a link to the U-Boat thread, I'm always interested in that type of thing.:cool:

cMags
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi David! Let me start by apologizing for my comment to Spaceagent-9 having been taken the wrong way and redirected as a criticism towards you. I was simply joking with Jim, who is now a veteran member here, that he hadn't noticed the age of the thread and thought Josh (Sidewinder) had just given us another new great build. Anyway...

CMags... I also followed your NX01 build... it's fantastic! I have not even attempted one without tabs! Do you know if Paragon wrapped up your modifications in his download?

I just downloaded the NX01 and the season 5 version from James' site (Paragon) but see that my updates were not put into the files. PM me your email address and I'll see if I can get a hold of James to approve sending you the updated version directly.

As a moderator on this forum, I can put to rest the question and say "Yes, definitely bump up old topics if you have questions or comments." Not only is this better than making a duplicate thread on a topic that had been discussed in the past, it also revives the thread for folks to see who may not have seen it when it was new, or have not found it in a search. It also proves that you used the search feature like a good newbie. ;)

Back onto your original question - no, I do not believe Josh used metallic paper. The model just has a good texture that approximates the reflective metallic nature of the ship. However, if you want to experiment with metallic paper, check out this recent topic on metallic papers: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/found-internet/19602-metalic-papers-available.html

DavidW
06-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey guys,

A public thanks for all the public/private replies on this subject. I guess the main point here was concern over hijacking an old thread needlessly to just up my posting count... not really what I am up to here. I was just basically interested in asking if it was metallic paper and saw cmags post... who I really respect. To show my true interest, I am now heading over an attempting to open a new thread with my NX01 build.