PDA

View Full Version : Are modelers/designers insane?

Phil
09-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Just for fun, this is not meant to offend anyone, if you cannot follow, it is me, not you.

I have a website, now I don't, but now I do, then I don't...
I share my models, naw, I don't want to, well...maybe...oh allright...

Call it indecisiveness, I call it pure nuts!
Yes, I am insane, I have papers to prove it...well, I had papers to prove it, before my dog ate them!...or did I build a model with them?...or did the rock finally win?

My troubles are all concieved within my own brain, and rarely have anything at all to do with reality (not like I even know what reality is anymore).

What I want to know is;
Do you think I/we (the voices in my head) or any modelers or designers to be insane? Or do I stand alone in this quagmire of nutsiness.

dansls1
09-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Serious answer - just like anything else in life it's never a good idea to stereotype all of one category of person as any particular thing.
Personal answer - the biggest response I get when I show people models I've built is they can't believe I have the patience to do it. Now - patience certainly would not be considered a sign of insanity (for the most part).
I think people without hobbies are the ones who end up not being 'normal'. Everybody needs a release from real life to relax. People who a) can't find that release or b) bring stress into their hobbies I would consider need help ;)

rickstef
09-19-2007, 08:49 AM
No West Covina option?

rickstef
09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
i agree with Dan, those who do not have a hobby have the problem.

there are days where my boss wonders/worries about me, my response to him is, at least most of the time is, I am doing something totally non work related, if you doubt me, you can check out my online photo albums.
He usually declines.

Rick

Alcides
09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Why a person with a job , married with 3 kids, trying to get a University degree wast time in paper models?

Just, because I NEED to think about something else if not I can GET INSANE !!! :p

and one advice about pools or post: We aren't all US citizens so I don't know the meaning of "I will take the 5th ammendment"

Regards
Alcides

Fozzy The Bear
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Just for fun, this is not meant to offend anyone, if you cannot follow, it is me, not you.

HEY!!!! Where's the Christopher Walken Option!!!!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Texman
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Need more cowbells

MOS95B
09-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I voted YES!! I go insane trying to build these wonderful designs. I can't imagine the level of (the best kind of) insanity it takes to create them!!

Since iwas only allowed one answer, though, I gotta know...

Phil, will you go out with me?

rickstef
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
actually it is a multiple choice poll

Rick

MOS95B
09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
dangit.......

Frank Kelle
09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Hummmmmmm.... I drank a bear before my answer :p and now I have to say: .
YES

Yes - we are all insane! Men with family, men fully involved in their joy, men you are long away (more or less) from their childhood are playing with paper! Go to a person on the street and say: "Hi! I am build a ship out of paper. What are you doing?" And you will get the answer to our question - and this is not 42.
And YES - I think that everyone who has no hobby must go insane! For myself my hobbies had rescued me over several severe problems - and (for NO joke) for the opinion of the doctor they had rescued my life after a very ugly car-accident of mine (he allowed my to build in the hospital a small kit).

My conclusion:
When we all are insane: I wish to have only insane people around me!
Lets seperate the normal people and show them their missings!

Ashrunner
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I will say this much regarding the theme of this poll. I found cardmodels around mid 2001. For about five years, I was happy building and designing models. In the remaining timeframe, my eyesight has deteriorated and my hands have a tendency to start shaking at the most inappropriate times (like when I have a sharp knife in them. Because of these (and other minor ones), my building/designing time has been severely affected to the point anything takes a loooooong time to finish.

That one fact is probably the biggest reason I am depressed and going insane.

Kaz
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I voted yes, however, with a little less tongue in cheek aren't all men borderline aspergers. I read that once, and did an online test, scored quite highly too as I remember. Not that a high score is an achievement, its just an indicator..
Its here for those of a non nervous disposition
http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=1982215450153908026

Barry
09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Dear Phil

It sounds like you have all the qualities to be a president or maybe a dictator or maybe both all of you ............... just like me I shall send my cardboard gunboat to settle the problems of the world or the universe egad. Of course I'm nuts it's my second childhood

Johnny
09-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Modelers and designer are absolutely NOT insane.....footballfans are :)

whulsey
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Oh that was take the 5th admendment, sorry was just thinking take a fifth. (americanism for our non US members). By the way instead of West Covina, how about La Puente for a choice? That was always when I knew I'd got lost when I went over the hill from Orange County trying to sneak the back way into LA.

dustey
09-19-2007, 03:11 PM
hey wait a minute lol im not a man so am i excempt from the insane thing? :-P...seriously i do models and a ton of other things aka woodworking painting ect to keep my sanity i think without the outlet i would be insane.

Phil
09-19-2007, 06:02 PM
LOL!!!
I found a Home! Thanx, you all know how to lift my spirits!

@Dansls1, I liked your personal answer best!

@Rickstef, I thought about the west covina option, but I did that once, I wanted to be origional as possible this time, thanx for remembering Rick.

@Alcides, Since I feel so at home here, I often forget that some of you don't live in the USA, but was hoping you would understand anyway. Basically, the fifth ammendment means "I have the right to remain silent" or " I did it, but I will not incriminate myself", or something to that effect.

@Fozzy the bear, Christopher Walken is wierd!

@Texman, Hi Ray!

@MOS95B, since you blew your multiple choice on only 1 answer, YES, I will go out with you, but don't give me no lines, and keep your hands to yourself!

@Frank Kelle, my conclusion is similar to yours, I only understand insanity!

@Ashrunner, though I am sad to hear your news, it is inevitable for us all, eventually. I only wish I had the time to offer beta building for you.

@Kaz, taking this poll reveals you! heh heh heh.

@Barry, I do not act well enough to be president!

@Johnny, do hockey fans count? LOL

@Whulsey, take a fifth would have worked well, shoot, take a whole case!

@Dustey, I think the poll was non gender biased, so, NO, you are not exempt.

A Thank you, a thank you very muchhhh!
Philvis has left the building.:p

Clashster
09-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Georgia Satellite reference... don't get that on a sane forum!! :D

B-Manic
09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
:D Everyone is insane in their own special way, nurse wheres my medication

BTW - I would have voted for a Christopher Walken choice

FredZ KSAC
09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
"I found a Home! Thanx, you all know how to lift my spirits!"

Phil, you have always had and always will have a home with this mis-guided group! You sure fit with the rest of us. :) And remember, insanity is an inherited condition - we get it from our kids! :p Enjoy the day.

Later,
Fred Z.

Paperbeam
09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
West Covina.

Certified...

Terry

Phil
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
@Clashster, man, we seem to have many similar likes, do you suppose we were seperated at birth? lol

@B-manic, I knew you would vote, what with a user name like yours.:)

@FredZ KSAC, Thank you!!!

@Paperbeam, still have memory brain cells left huh? Thanx!

Kitkaboodle katkaboodle kitty kitty kow kow,
mowptootle flapdoodle oom papa mouw mouw!

Anyone know what that blurb is from?

MOS95B
09-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I know Ooom Papa Mouw Mouw from the Oak Ridge Boys' song Elvira

Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Heigh-ho Silver, away

But yours is cooler. I need to memorize it and drive The Missus insane(r?)

Don Boose
09-21-2007, 12:24 PM
"Mouw Mouw" and "Mow Mow" begin with "M&M," as I am sure you Smarties have noticed. And "mao" (pronounced "mouw" or "Mow") is Chinese for "cat." Noting the other cat references (Kitkaboodle katkaboodle kitty kitty kow kow) and that some mighty fine paper modelers in this forum live in Taiwan, it's obvious that everything is connected.

Could you repeat the question? I got distracted by the sensation of something blimp-like hovering behind me. If it gets any closer, I'm gonna zap it with a can of Krylon . . . or Future floor wax.

Phil
09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
I will give you one more clue;
The phrase was coined by;
F. Frederick Skitty (note- F. Frederick Skitty is an alias).

Paperbeam
09-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Fat Freddy's Cat

(Not that I read much of that stuff back then...)

Waaaayyyyy too much time on my hands...

Terry

Phil
09-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat
Terry

We have a WINNER!!! Very good memory Terry!
For those of you that are confused, Fat Freddy's Cat is an offshoot of "Those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers". I hear this will soon be a computer animated movie!!!
( I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!).

shrike
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
( I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!).

"Airplane"
That one was easy

Paperbeam
09-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Phil:

It wasn't my memory - just a good search engine!:rolleyes:

I encountered those comics in my teens from friends of mine, but wasn't really into them...

Terry

TheWebdude
11-13-2007, 09:18 PM
:rolleyes:The voices tell me I shouldn't take this survey right now...........:rolleyes:

wunwinglow
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I was going to say I was barking mad, but it might upset the cats.....

Tim