PDA

View Full Version : Reaver Titan WIP

ARMORMAN
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Here's my latest WIP. A 40k Titan....all paper. Feet are finally to a stage that I can call done....rivets...why did I have to do rivets?

Base model was from BWC Archive. Added pistons, raised edge detail, treads on toes, piston joint mounts, logo, and rivets....many rivets....

FAKEnameguy
08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
It's nice to see someone try a paper titan other than the same old warhound patterns, have you decided on what the load out will be? if not let me suggest the Vulcan mega-bolter and chain-fist.

ARMORMAN
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
All....(magnets are wonderful things) ;)

silveroxide
08-31-2009, 07:06 PM
After you are finished or half way done, start posting it over at dakkadakka.com and blow their 40k minds away. They are not used to paper 40K items. They loved my thunderbolt Chimera and Rhino I posted over there.

ARMORMAN
09-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I'll have to do that....currently posting over at Heresy Online as well.

Stev0
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I'll have to do that....currently posting over at Heresy Online as well.

What that, a plastic model forum?

*runs away*

ARMORMAN
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I thought that's what plastic modelers called us.....

silveroxide
09-01-2009, 05:54 PM
What that, a plastic model forum?

*runs away*

It is a place to recruit followers to the paper side. They can't believe that it is not plastic. "A paper Baneblade:confused:? A paper Dreadnaught:confused::confused:? A paper Rhino:confused::confused::confused:??? A paper Flyer:confused::confused::confused:???? A paper Titan:eek::eek::eek::eek:? No way Jose, I have to go to papermodels.com and check this out!!!!!!"

It is a recruiting tool:D:D:D:D:D!!!!

Ing. Spendlik
09-02-2009, 06:47 AM
... "A paper Baneblade:confused:? A paper Dreadnaught:confused::confused:? A paper Rhino:confused::confused::confused:??? A paper Flyer:confused::confused::confused:???? A paper Titan:eek::eek::eek::eek:? ...

And the list will continue... :cool:

ARMORMAN
09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
This is my last year and 4 months worth of work. I have 1 week to finish the white model.

Originally this was going to be an "out of the box" build. Just a quick build of JSV's DIY Reaver Titan from BWC Archive...the only problem was my inability to leave well enough alone....it all started with building the feet and thinking "it would be cooler if I just added raised surface detail" then..."If I added hydraulics to the model...that would be really cool..." and so on. Well, needless to say, it became an exercise in creativity (and sometimes endurance - sanity went out the door long before the start of this project).

OK, so here's the deal: So often I see people posting about making this and other large kits out of pl*stic as opposed to trying to make it out of paper and cardboard (this is a paper model forum, after all). My thought was that if you wanted to take the time, it could all be done in paper. Also, not everyone on a group or forum may have access to the materials others have, but everyone can get their hands on paper and glue. Thirdly, I have seen this and other models done before where the model was (or looked) slammed together (now, in the builder's defense, if you are building it to the best of your abilities, then well done).

I am about 93% finished with the model and here's what I have wrought.

Modifications:

- Re-laid out the parts to fit on US letter

- Added raised surface edges

- Added hand punched grill (paper),false mechanics, "eye" optics, Hose attachments, rivets, and raised surface detail to the "Dragon" or "Eagle" head that comes with the kit

- scratch built a second "python" head with raised detail and hose attachments (this will be the one that goes on it in the end)

- Heavily modified both mini cannon and Plasma Blastgun (not finished, will be adding hoses and other details)

- Re designed upper leg assembly to more closely match the metal miniature's set up and leg orientation.

- Added rear radiator under carapace to match the metal miniature

- Magnetized all weapon mounts, head mount, and ankles

- Custom designed scrollwork, and raised surface logos

- lowered the head mount to match the metal miniature.

- added platform to set rocket launcher further back on carapace to more match the miniature

tekzo
09-05-2011, 12:57 AM
AMAZING!! love the model and armor

silveroxide
09-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Great work on the Reaver. A good paint job, small details and weathering will enhance it to the extreme. Enjoyed the photos and the build. See you around the forums.

mchale
09-05-2011, 01:36 AM
When I saw the name reaver I thought this thread was about the space cannibals from firefly and serenity

NYC Irishman
09-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Awesome work, Well done
John

sjsquirrel
09-12-2011, 09:51 AM
First of all, WOW! Great build, and I love the detail. You've obviously put a lot of work into this build and it's paid off tremendously.

Steve

ARMORMAN
09-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks, but it's not done yet..... ;)

ARMORMAN
09-14-2011, 08:08 AM
The Titan and I made the local paper....

Dolls spark memories - Post-Tribune (http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/neighbors/7636697-418/dolls-spark-memories.html)

ThunderChild
09-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Congrats Armorman!

Tirick
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
That is incredible work ARMORMAN!

ARMORMAN
09-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Raised surface detail on one of the feet....

Vorcha
09-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Very impressive!

kjev
09-24-2011, 05:33 AM
WOW.

Nice model Armorman!

And the Titan's pretty cool too.

Mind-blowing, actually. I admit, I'm more of a fan of the Warlord, but that is just too cool. Since you magnetized all the weapon hardpoints, I assume you're going to make additional weapon options?

I think the Adeptus Mechanicus would be pleased-ius.

ARMORMAN
09-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Yes, originally the idea was to make all the weapons, but now it's just to GET IT DONE IN MY LIFETIME!!!

ARMORMAN
10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Here's some pics of the raised surface detailing on the carapace armor...all hand cut and glued. The script is Greek (not Latin) and it is all hand cut and glued down.

ThunderChild
10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
You have the patience of a saint. Those look wonderful!

Tirick
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
That is incredible detail Armorman. Makes me want one, for certain. It is in some ways better than the 'real' one as you can detail to your heart's content, and add elements easily out of paper. Awesome work!

ARMORMAN
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Update...Finally started to make progress on the painting.

ThunderChild
02-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Looks amazing so far! The color adds a lot!

ARMORMAN
02-13-2012, 09:24 AM
yeah....a lot of days.... ;)

Neptune
02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
So, how are things going with this? Anything new?

Update...Finally started to make progress on the painting.

ARMORMAN
02-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Still painting..... ;)

ARMORMAN
03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Couple of pic updates.

I have most of the upper body painted and decided to start the storage case which is 28" x 20" x 20" (70 cm x 50 cm x 50cm). The body is starting to fatigue due to all the travel (I work on it wherever I can) and probably would not have had as much problems had I doubled up on the thickness of the paper at stress points. Nonetheless, we fight on.

Uyraell
03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
It is a brilliant model, and one that is a joy, every time I see it.
It's also one of the best paintjobs I've ever seen on a Titan. Most are either garish, or far too overstated.
Your paintjob has finess and subtlety, along with very fine detailing, and gives a most apposite impression to the viewer.

Kind and Respectful Regards Armorman my friend, Uyraell.

SJPONeill
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
It's looking really good!!

I can almost feel the ground shake as each foot comes down...

ARMORMAN
03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Heh, if I can work out the problems, You'll be able to hear it.... ;)

Neptune
03-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Couple of pic updates.

I have most of the upper body painted and decided to start the storage case which is 28" x 20" x 20" (70 cm x 50 cm x 50cm). The body is starting to fatigue due to all the travel (I work on it wherever I can) and probably would not have had as much problems had I doubled up on the thickness of the paper at stress points. Nonetheless, we fight on.

Dude! Noice!:)

Neptune
03-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Heh, if I can work out the problems, You'll be able to hear it.... ;)

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you for a looooong time, I love your artwork. I always have liked that pic you did of the Armorman. Nice.

ARMORMAN
04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Couple more pics. Started on the lower half of the body and guns. Thought the gun barrels turned out pretty good. Sorry for the blurry pics.

Neptune
04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow! That is some wicked artwork. Awesome build!

ARMORMAN
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Well, I just entered it in Art Prize...should be interesting to see how it fares with the "fine arts" crowd.

Neptune
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, I just entered it in Art Prize...should be interesting to see how it fares with the "fine arts" crowd.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.:)

sjsquirrel
04-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Are you in Michigan? I'm from Windsor originally but live out west now.

Great work on this model. As others have commented the painting is fantastic and takes the whole model to a new level for paper modelling. I'm sure there will be a constant flow of "that's paper?!" comments. Best of luck, and don't forget to let us know how it all turns out.

Steve

ARMORMAN
04-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm originally from the Grand Rapids area. Moved to take a job in Chicago (that lasted about 10 months after my move).

jleslie48
05-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Very cool Bill. - Jon

Neptune
05-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Very cool Bill. - Jon

What he said. Hope you're able to get your competition thing worked out! Break a leg, hope you win the contest.:)

ARMORMAN
05-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, I finally got the big baby painted completely (pics to follow later). It was 2 years ago this month that I started this project.

I had taken it to my youngest daughter's 4th grade class last year when it was a white model with no detail, so today it made a return visit at lunch time to show them how it turned out. I arrived a little early and the second graders were finishing up lunch when I arrived and it drew a spontaneous standing ovation (that was surprising and thoroughly enjoyable). Her classmates (and former teacher) were impressed. Soon as I get the rockets in the launch tubes (and it's daylight) I'll get some pics up.

Neptune
05-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Well, I finally got the big baby painted completely (pics to follow later). It was 2 years ago this month that I started this project.

I had taken it to my youngest daughter's 4th grade class last year when it was a white model with no detail, so today it made a return visit at lunch time to show them how it turned out. I arrived a little early and the second graders were finishing up lunch when I arrived and it drew a spontaneous standing ovation (that was surprising and thoroughly enjoyable). Her classmates (and former teacher) were impressed. Soon as I get the rockets in the launch tubes (and it's daylight) I'll get some pics up.

Awesome, can't wait to see the new photos!:)

ARMORMAN
05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Two years to the month after starting this project, I am calling it done. I am probably going to change out the missiles, but aside from that, it is complete. 23" tall x 15" x 15". I learned a lot.

The purpose for this project was to test out whether a paper model this big could be made completely out of paper, stand under it's own weight and look reeeeeeeeeallly cool doing it. I believe the answer is yes on all three counts, but were I to do it again, I would probably redesign how the toes are joined to the foot, reinforce the knee and redesign the hip assembly.

Although the time spent two years, part of that time was figuring out how to accomplish what I wanted to do. Specifically the thigh and hip assembly which went through several design/build/redesign iterations to get the final result. A happy unintended result is that it looks like it is stalking rather than static.

Now, please bear with me as I bore you to death with pictures of my "Big Baby"....

ARMORMAN
05-05-2012, 10:37 PM
A few more detail shots...

Papercrafted
05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
OOOO I want to build one.

Very well done.

ThunderChild
05-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Positively stunning end result! She looks beautiful and the detail is sublime! Great work Armorman!

Jan Kytop
05-06-2012, 01:53 AM
A fantastic model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jleslie48
05-06-2012, 07:26 AM
love the steampunk look of this. - Jon

Neptune
05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
A few more detail shots...

Woohoo! Freakin awesomesauce! BTW, Should have that artwork done at some point. Still working on the Spacemarine and trying to fins the right version of the Necron. Great looking model. Later.:)

ARMORMAN
05-29-2012, 03:49 PM
So anyway, I get many request from friends and former classmates to enter the titan in an art contest called "Artprize" which is in Grand Rapids, MI. They provide a list of venues that you can contact (though they don't tell you how) to see if they will host your art piece.

My college alma mater happens to be in this city, so I contacted them.....

I just received a rejection notice from them....figures.

SJPONeill
05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Some people clearly just don't know what art is...their loss...

Tirick
05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
'Art' to a layman, and 'art' to judges and art majors are not the same thing, unfortunately.

You have done an utterly fantastic job with this model Armorman, from construction to the detail buildup to the paint work (I love the brass/burning on the guns). Rejection notices from an 'art' contest should not detract from this fact in any way.

Neptune
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
So anyway, I get many request from friends and former classmates to enter the titan in an art contest called "Artprize" which is in Grand Rapids, MI. They provide a list of venues that you can contact (though they don't tell you how) to see if they will host your art piece.

My college alma mater happens to be in this city, so I contacted them.....

I just received a rejection notice from them....figures.

Figures is right.... If it's a college, you have to figure that it's inhabited by left wing, anti military, academicians who see things such as christ-in-urine as art, because it speaks to the far left radical, anti-christian, pseudo-intellectual premise that there is no God and that the Holy Bible is a hate filled, homophic, sexist, racist, diatribe that has no more intellectual significance that the Great Spighetti Monster. Especially if it's a liberal arts college. Since your Mecha shows real talent and appears to support the military industrial complex, of course they would find the very thought repugnant! Therefore, I would hold that rejection as a badge of honor!

Please don't ban me for speaking the truth from the perspective of a Veteran, a Realist and a Conservative. I spent time in several different colleges and community colleges while persuing my degree and I know personally of what I speak.

Anyway... Badge of Honor Dude!;)

Papercrafted
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
AMEN!!!

Paper modeling is most definitely Art. It's just another way of sculpting even though, with the model pattern, someone else can make the same sculpture.

Uyraell
05-29-2012, 09:14 PM
In My poetry thread I allude to why I turned away from Churches.
Most of the reasons are also encapsulated in Neptune's post here above.
While I am not anti-Christian I remain very much against what the Churches as an institution have become.
That said, I am equally against the anti-Christian paths most academic institutions openly espouse, as described so well by my friend Neptune.

That such an institution did reject your Reaper Titan as an artwork, Armorman, should, as Neptune rightly points out, be seen as a Badge of Honour.

Those here who have followed the evolution of your model through this thread have seen clearly your dedication and skill, the sheer effort involved, and the superlative result. It will be a long time before I ever have the necessary skillset to do with a model as you have achieved with your Titan. In fact, I might never achieve a similarly fine result, though I'm certainly going to try to.

In short, Armoman my friend, nil desperandum, and noli illegitmii te carborandet!

Kind and Respectful Regards Armorman my friend,Uyraell.

Neptune
05-29-2012, 09:30 PM
See there Armorman, with supporters like this, who needs some stupid critic anyway. Anyone can judge anothers work, I prefer the people that actually do it instead of talking about it and having no talent. You've obviously got the talent! Keep on Meckin!;)

ARMORMAN
07-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Good News! I have a venue for display:

GrandLAN Gaming Center
56 N. Division Ave
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Dates:

SEPTEMBER 19 – OCTOBER 7, 2012

If you can make it there, check out the Titan.

It's Kitty-Corner from my alma-mater and my daughter wants me to set it up in their front window with guns pointing toward it....

Uyraell
07-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Warm Congratulations of obtaining a venue for your Reaper Titan ArmorMan my friend!
I'm very pleased for you that you have found a venue, for the Reaper Titan you've so finely crafted is well worthy of display in public, as part of any Art Event.

I wish you every success, ArmorMan.

Kind and Respectful Regards ArmorMan my friend, Uyraell.

ThunderChild
07-01-2012, 03:08 AM
That's good news Armorman! You'll definitely get a lot of interest!

Neptune
07-01-2012, 05:20 AM
[Mr. Burns] Excellent![Mr. Burns].

Good News! I have a venue for display:

GrandLAN Gaming Center
56 N. Division Ave
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Dates:

SEPTEMBER 19 – OCTOBER 7, 2012

If you can make it there, check out the Titan.

It's Kitty-Corner from my alma-mater and my daughter wants me to set it up in their front window with guns pointing toward it....

Famous Dave
07-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous job. The emporer would be pleased

kjev
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Congratulations!

And I lover her sense of humor!

ARMORMAN
07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Not everyone does....I sent out a general email about the venue, and somehow one of my clients got stuck on the list. This is what I got in my inbox:

XXXX Corp. strongly objects to ideas of self-righteousness, hatefulness, vengeance and violence. It is our preference to avoid associating with organizations and individuals who declare such thoughts or ideology. Kindly remove our email address from your list immediately. Thank you.

Neptune
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Not everyone does....I sent out a general email about the venue, and somehow one of my clients got stuck on the list. This is what I got in my inbox:

XXXX Corp. strongly objects to ideas of self-righteousness, hatefulness, vengeance and violence. It is our preference to avoid associating with organizations and individuals who declare such thoughts or ideology. Kindly remove our email address from your list immediately. Thank you.

Wow! Just wow... Talk about selfrighteous indignation and hypocricy? Wow!:)

kjev
07-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes, we want peace, love, tolerance, and fluffy bunnies for everyone. Now beat it!

Did it ever occur to these nitwits that IT'S A GAME?

Not to mention a fine piece of art!

I suppose they think checkers is violent, too. Come to think of it, the way my brother and I played, that's probably not too far wrong...

Just the same, I think I would remove their email address from my list, and my shopping from their place of business.

ARMORMAN
09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, I finally finished the pedestal and display case for the Titan (notice the all 3-D paper scale Space Marine). Now I wait to see if enough people like it and will vote for it....

Neptune
09-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Well, I finally finished the pedestal and display case for the Titan (notice the all 3-D paper scale Space Marine). Now I wait to see if enough people like it and will vote for it....

Awesomesauce! Nice freakin work. Woohooo!:)

ARMORMAN
10-21-2014, 11:06 AM
It is with a heavy heart that I post that my "big baby" is up for sale on ebay. I have need of cash to pay bills and replace a vehicle (among other things):

Warhammer 40K Reaver Titan Custom Paper Model OOAK 9 11 Memorial Titan 23" H | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291272026227?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649)

elliott
10-21-2014, 11:44 AM
I hope it sells for more than your initial asking bid. Best of luck, Bill.