PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - podracer

Biroka
09-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Hy! For months I've been searching for a paper version of a podracer (Anakin's or Sebulba's), but with no luck. So finally I thought, that is time for me to design one. I got some 3d models already done, but when I tried to unfold them, well lets just say, I couldn't. So I started designing one in sketchup, but don't expect a high-detail something, I'm making it in a way I think I can unfold It. The engines are done, but any modification suggestions are welcome. The cabin will be a bit more difficult, but I hope I can make out something of it.

silveroxide
09-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Presently I am building the pond racer, and in the process I was thinking about the pod racer. There is a distant familiarity between both vehicles. Are you going to use bent and sig zag wiring to connect the engines and the pod cockpit?

Biroka
09-05-2009, 06:20 AM
The engines with the cockpit will be be joined with a (don't really know the correct word for them) thicker sealed aluminum wire, and the engines between them will be connected with a wire without its seal witch is made of many thin wires, to reflect the energy-connection. When I get them to hand, I'll make some photos of them.

silveroxide
09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Cool, I understand, Will wait and see when you start yourr build or the finish product.

maxcarbon
09-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Just a heads up, saw Anakin's pod racer at papercraft museum. Here's the link..
Anakin Podracer | PaperCraft Museum (http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/anakin-podracer/)

rgds

Biroka
09-13-2009, 06:00 AM
I didn't have the time to work with it last week, but I hope this week I can finish the model, and start unfolding. Because this is my first attempt in sketchup and in pepakura too I can't really make it faster. I got a bit distressed that there is already a paper podracer, but if I already started it, I'll finish it.

silveroxide
09-13-2009, 07:17 AM
I got a bit distressed that there is already a paper podracer, but if I already started it, I'll finish it.

No need to get distressed, make a better one. The cockpit in the other one needs some work. You started off on the right foot now move your left foot and continue onwards.:):):)

Biroka
09-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Enough work for today on this topic. I almost finished the cockpit too, just a few more details on it and texturing. Tomorrow university starts, but the firs week is pretty easy-going, so hopefully I will finish it this week. Here some photos.

murphyaa
09-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Sweet, I was just looking through my Essential Guide to Star Wars Vehicles and debating attempting to design this. I'll have to keep an eye in here.

Biroka
09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
A bit of progress on the model. What's left to be done is texturing the front of the cockpit and some antena suports to be added, and of course a stand.

Biroka
09-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Oups.... I forgot the attachments.

silveroxide
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
There you go, I knew you could excel in your design. Now to wait for the plans.

Biroka
09-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Couldn't rest until wasn't finished. Finally it looks like something I wanted to do. I know it doesn't look like the real thing, but approximately its there. The connections between the engines-cockpit-stand are made just for illustration, those will be replaced with different types of wires. Now I hope i manage to unfold it ;).

Biroka
10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Finally I got a bit of spare time and managed to unfold the engines. One engine is 6 pages A4, so 12 pages totally just the engines. Now I can't decide what to do next.... start building or unfold the cockpit and the stand.

Biroka
10-19-2009, 01:39 PM
The time has come... I've finished unfolding too. As soon as I buy a new cartage in my printer, I'll start building it.

silveroxide
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Good Graphics, Waiting for the build. At 12 pages and counting, what is the scale?

Biroka
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Well its dimensions are (in mm): height:138 width:217 depth:476. Now I started thinking, where will I put this model when it will be built...

Sidewinder81777
05-28-2011, 08:14 PM
And I thought it took ME a long time to get ink....... ;)

Biroka
05-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I have it printed, only I don't have time to build it (work + Msc. classes) :P

whulsey
05-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Don't you just hate the way that "work + Msc." interfers with your modeling.

Biroka
06-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Hate is a weak word for that! :P

Biroka
04-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Finally I managed to spare some time on modelling. I am now back on track with this model and hope I will finish it in the near future. Now I'm finished with the cockpit and started to work on the engines.

It is observable that this is my first model design, because there are parts where the folding flaps should be switched and the cuts should be better over-thought, but anyway I am a bit proud on what I achieved with my first attempt.

Some pictures of the progress (sorry phone quality pictures...).