PDA

View Full Version : Building St. Stephen's

BARX2
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I have been looking forward to building some architectural models for a while. When I bought a couple of Domus kits I didn't realize they were pre-cut and scored for folding. Because of that, and because it isn't a highly detailed model, it's going pretty quick. The stock is quite heavy and glossy. It's very nice to work with. The only problems I've run into so far are a couple of areas where the fit isn't great, and gluing two glossy edges together. Fortunately, most gluing involves one glossy edge and one "raw" edge.

I haven't done a build thread yet, and this one is beginning kind of late into the project, but I thought I'd try to take some pictures every once in a while as I work on it. Here's what I've got so far.

modelperry
09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Very nice so far. I like the colors of this one.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Greg

cdavenport
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I have Domus's Sagrada Familia. Their kits are really nicely detailed and easy to build. Yours looks really good, too.

Kind of hard to screw them up, isn't it? I'd almost recommend them to novices if it weren't for the number of parts

redhorse
09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
This is very cool! I like these building models a lot!

willygoat
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM
This is great! St. Stephen's is in my top 3 fave cathedrals. had the opportunity to sing there in college. It's a very neat place. Can't wait to see your build progress.

B-Manic
09-07-2009, 10:22 AM
More building builds yeah, we don't see enough of them here. Gotta love these big old cathedrals. It looks real good Joe

Mike Stamper
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
That's a great start to a good modei, although, I must admit that I prefer the S&S kit - but then I'm a glutton for punishment.

Looking at your pictures brought a question - are the windows printed or are they recessed - I'm guessing they are printed but it's difficult to tell. The S&S has recessed windows - each window is three pieces - as I said - I'm a glutton ;-)

I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Cheers
Mike

Claus
09-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Great. The Steffl - that's how we call it here in Vienna. Only 2 or 3 weeks ago, I climbed up the app. 300 Stairs to the Southern Tower together with my son.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Regards,
Claus

BARX2
09-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the support! Today is my daughter's birthday, so I didn't get much done - just a couple of gables on the north side. I'll do more and add pictures tomorrow. I'm anxious to start the towers.

Mike, the windows are printed, but they really do have a nice 3-D appearance. What's the S&S model you mentioned? Is that the name of the company - S&S, or an abbreviation?

Mike Stamper
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Sorry,

S&S is the name of the German company who sell kits. The publisher is Schreiber Bogen.

Here's more details. I also see that Instante Durable have a kit.
St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna 1:300 - Schreiber-Bogen (http://www.moduni.com/product_info.php/cPath/30000000_30100000_30104000/products_id/6072484)

On mine, I didn't glue the spire to the building, because it's so tall. When I display it I put the spire on.

Here's a small picture of the Schreiber model - you will also see pictures of a few of the well known designers ! Oh ! I'm there as well, just to prove I don't look like a paper lady ;-))

Halton Show (http://home.clara.net/rogerpattenden/model_exhibition.html)

I guess "tromp l'oeil" would describe your window;-)

BTW Happy birth day to your daughter !

mike

Claus
09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi!

Does one of you know, if there is a model of St Stephen showing it's state before it was bombed in WWII?

Thanks,
Claus

BARX2
09-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Mike thanks for the info. The Schreiber-Bogen model is certainly more detailed (and expensive) than the Domus kit. And yes, tromp l'oeil exactly describes the windows! Thanks for the tip about not gluing the tower. Great idea! My daughter had a really nice birthday. Thanks.

BARX2
09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
A little more progress. I added gables on the north and south sides. Next up will be the south tower.

BARX2
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I finished the south steeple without too many mistakes. :) Like Jimmy Three Shoes said in his thread ( http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/architectural-models/3789-my-paper-model-church.html ) most of the details are printed on. The myriad details help to conceal building mistakes because they draw your eye. I have to say that Domus took an extremely intricate subject and managed to make a good looking model with only about 250 pieces. Still a lot to go, but here's the tower.

willygoat
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow! The can of Coke really put the model's size into perspective. There's some tiny details in there. Great stuff!!

BARX2
12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I can't believe it took me so long to finish this model! I have to admit, I got bored half-way through and it took a lot of effort to get back on track and finish it. I got sidetracked and did a few small Canon models and some projects around the house. One of the things I didn't like about this model is that it's pre-cut - something I didn't realize when I bought it. One aspect of this hobby I really enjoy is cutting and folding the parts. I really like the sturdy, semi-gloss cardboard the model is made of. Now I just have to figure out where to put it. I borrowed Mike Stamper's idea of not gluing the towers to the main structure to make it easier to move and store. By the way, I somehow managed to buy two of these kits! If anyone would like to build this model, offer me a trade and it's yours.

Picasa Web Albums - Joe - St. Stephen's... (http://picasaweb.google.com/jepolch/StStephenSCathedral#)

Mike Stamper
12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
That is a good looking model.

However, it seems to have most of the things I don't like about some kits. That is glossy, thick, diecut parts! Generally they look "cheap" but you obviously have the knack of making a "silk purse out of a sow's ear"

Which Canon models did you make?

Have you looked at the Instante Durable site? they have some great Cathedrals to make ;-)

Cheers
Mike

BARX2
05-06-2010, 07:55 PM
The model was too big to display in my house, so I gave it to my mother's senior citizens club. They have a very big HO scale train layout in the basement. Several of the old guys are always maintaining the trains and adding to the layout. They set the cathedral up on a hill and I think they did a great job of integrating it into their "village". The pictures aren't the greatest quality, but you get the idea.

Texman
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Very nice. Glad it got a home where it will be enjoyed as well as have a purpose.

willygoat
05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
That's pretty neat. It almost looks like it's supposed to be there, and not in the middle of Vienna. :D