PDA

View Full Version : Sword Impulse Gundam Build

Getter 1
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Hello All,

I'm test building the Sword Impulse Gundam designed by Cerebrave. It's in 1/100 scale and is based on the Master Grade plastic model's porportions. I don't have the MG IP version but I do have the 1/100 High Grade (HG) which I will be using portions of for scale comparison. I'm actuallu doing a tandem build of both :P So hopefully you will see both standing side by side at the end :D Note the HG and MG versions have a great difference in porportions so they are not intended to side by side comparison aside from scale.

The model is very well designed and it's break down makes for a very strong model. There are no tabs present so instead of an all edge gluing I chose the paper strip tabs method. The lack of attached card tabs makes for a much tighter and more accurate build.

There are also joints designed into the model which I am trying to make functional. Cerebrave's build had them glued into a pose. The fact that there are functioning joints makes for many dynamic poses which can be fixed posed if the weight proves too much for them.

The following is 3 days of work from the Labor Day weekend. I tried to start this thread a couple days ago but the file sizes for pix was reduced. I asked Jason about it and he kindly bumped it back up a little so I can now post the pix. Ok ok I know Getter is a long winded idiot so get on with the pix already :P

I couldn't upload the 1st round of pix covering the upper body and B.Pak build as they are too big still so the pix cover from the point the upper body was done on.

G1

Getter 1
09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Here we have the thight and hip joint assembly.

G1

Getter 1
09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Here we have more of the thigh and knee joint assembly. Also the lower leg underway.

G1

Getter 1
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Here we have the upper and lower leg connected and lower leg detail parts assembly.

G1

Getter 1
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Here's a couple test shots of the leg in pklace and in action :D

That's it for now. Trying to finish up that right leg ATM :P

G1

The Orange
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow, 1/100.. Gosh, you're doing a fantastic job. Excellent craftsmanship. Cheers to Cerebrave for designing this beast.

Nazgul
09-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Awesome :D

mbahg666
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
wow... great build... i'm building myself the blast version... but still lack the time to completed yet... after seeing your work, i think i have to sacrifice a little work hour and spend it on papercraft hour...... cheers to cerebrave who designed this model, and you who could build it with a fine craftmanship.

Getter 1
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks Guys :D

Mbahg666, Look forward to seeing your Blast Impulse ;)

G1

cerebrave
09-12-2009, 01:57 PM
All i want to say is that I was lucky that G1 wants to help building. The model will be great on his hand. Your progress is a very-very well done!

Mbah666, thanks to you also. I don't have any blast impulse... just yet... I hope nothing goes wrong with the model I give you... :)

for all others,
these two beasts is going to be released for free, but if you cant wait any longer, contact me. Thanks!

Getter 1
09-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Cerebrave, Thanks for the kind words :)

I got the legs now done. After working out the engineering on the joints the other leg built up quite fast :D

Got a small pile of arm parts there in the 1st pic.

I added a waist joint for rotation at the waist.

Here's some shots of it in various poses of the legs. I probably could have added more reinfocement to the joints but didn't thik of how till too late :P Well it's only too late for the knees as they are pernamently in place. The other joints are assembled where thay can be taken apart for more glue reinforcement :D It's fairly stable ATM but when all the weapons are added it may be a bit too much as is.

The arms should go a lot easier than the legs did. The feet, or rather ankles were troublesome to figure out how to make movable and remain simple as complex design in paper is a bad thing for durability.

Cerebrave, this is an awesome model. Thanks for letting me give er a go ;)

Enjoy the pix :)

G1

Getter 1
09-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Here's the last shot of the above set.

Also I show the 1st attempt at an ankle joint :P It was a doulbe hinge and it worked but was weak and was wearing out fast. The leg couldn't even stand on it's own with that joint. So I show the 2nd design and it's very simple, stable, and quite effective. It's simply 2 large insert tabs in slighty wider slots on the bottom of the leg allowing for the ankle's sides to side and even front to back movement by the tabs sliding in or out and tot he sides. In one shot I have the tabs partialy pulled out to show instillation.

Another shot shows the ankle armor pivot made from a toothpick through the lower leg with holes in the inside wall of the armor for rotation.

G1

Getter 1
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Here's some pose shots of the leg and ankle in action. Also a shot of the card reinforcement of the toe joint.

G1

Janx
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
The leg Looks brilliant G1, The articulation is the business :)

Cerebrave Has made an excellent Job of the model and the build and tweaks are just making it look fantastic.

I wouldn't mind having a go at this one in future.

Getter 1
09-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks Janx :D

Well didn't get much done yesterday and not as far as I wanted to today but here's the efforts. I got the right arm main components done. The elbow joint is just placed, not glue in yet. The hand and shoulder armo to go and on tho the other arm. From there, head, weapons, done :D

Still having fun on this one.

Janx you should sign up ;) Perhaps when the Force Impulse set is done :D

G1

mrbig
09-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Getter1, that is one helluva job you are doing. Always pleasure to see your works!
Also I would like to mention that it was nicely modeled by Cerebrave!

cerebrave
09-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Hot build.. and is getting hotter...
sorry G1, I don't understand and still could not figures on how you did manage to have the ankle joint stiffened by mobile... Well, my english perhaps... :(

well, if the gundam facing to us, and supposed left to right line is the X axis, up and down is Y, front to back is Z. It looks to me that your design could move the foot against the leg in X axis, but looks like you've been able also to do it in Z, how is that?

Great!

marksolo
09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh wow, another incredible build, looks like nothing is impossible for G1.

Getter 1
09-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Mr.Big, MS, thanks for the compliments :D

Cerebrave, Took some pix with the ankle armor removed to answer your question ;) (Pix in next post)

Didn't get much done last night but i did get the elbow glued in and a start on the shoulder armor. Check out the range of motion from the double elbow joint :)

G1

Getter 1
09-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Here are those ankle shots.

G1

Getter 1
09-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Well the right arm is now done and I decided to get on the head before doing the left arm. Sorry the pix aren't transfered yet besides I wanted to get the head done but not tonight :P

Cerebrave, I got a major compliment for you. I sent a buddy of mine a pic of the build and he saw the pic before reading what I said about it being a paper model and before he read it he thought it was the MG model! :D Now he's an incredible plastic and resin modeler and it had him fooled till he read it was paper. Janx knows who I'm talking about and can vouch that he's not easily impressed! Take a bow CB, take a bow ;)

Be loking for more pix tomorrow with a head :D

G1

Getter 1
09-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I know I said yesterday :P

Well here we have the shoulder and shoulder armor coming together.

I had to make a trap door in the top plate for the side plate to go into for movement allowance. Other than that pretty straight forward :D

G1

Getter 1
09-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Here we have the head coming together. A lot of little pieces and a lot of compound curves but not that hard. The "crown" and "back base were the hardest to do.

G1

Getter 1
09-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Head installed. The white antennas were tough at the top. Very small ridge tofold there and connect with the front panel.

Down to other arm and weapons now :D

G1

Janx
09-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Beautiful! lol I want one :)

marksolo
09-19-2009, 09:42 PM
huh? did i see a white edge on the fingers? is G1 a mortal after all?

lol, it is still a superb build, above and beyond anything i can ever accomplish

Getter 1
09-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Mortal??? Well yes, but Human, No :P

The fingers are not done quite yet as I only lightly tacked the thumb on as it will most likely need to be re-positioned for holding a weapon.

I haven't done the other arm yet but today I moved onto the weapons. Pix in a bit. I need to print another weapon sheet to fix a mistake......... yes I admitted a mistake MS :P On the Beam boomerangs on the back I accidently put both lefts and both rights together so I need to cover that up :P

G1

Getter 1
09-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok Goof up fixed and I'm now on the swords.

G1

cerebrave
09-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Well the right arm is now done and I decided to get on the head before doing the left arm. Sorry the pix aren't transfered yet besides I wanted to get the head done but not tonight :P

Cerebrave, I got a major compliment for you. I sent a buddy of mine a pic of the build and he saw the pic before reading what I said about it being a paper model and before he read it he thought it was the MG model! :D Now he's an incredible plastic and resin modeler and it had him fooled till he read it was paper. Janx knows who I'm talking about and can vouch that he's not easily impressed! Take a bow CB, take a bow ;)

Be loking for more pix tomorrow with a head :D

G1

G1,
thanks for the compliments, but I guess I'm not only the one who is entitled for it. Designing a papercraft is only half the way, another half is to build it, and with your skill, the result is fascinating!

I've just lay down the canvas and sketch it, but you've painted it very well done! Congrats to you too!

I really cant wait the final moments, with several different pose that you can think of!

Getter 1
09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
One sword done now minus the beam blade. Got it in a fun pose here holding one of the beam boomerangs (note no blade attached to it). There is no beam blade for the boomerang in the Beta but perhaps CB will make one if some builder wants it :D

I will most likely lock it in a pose later on as it had a hard time holding the BB without a blade. Now granted I built the BB different from design. It was just a 2 pice front and back part but I gave it a few layers of 110 lbs stock in between for added thickness :P Those will be glued to the back later on so it may still hold the other weapons ok but doubtfull. The oversized nature of the weapons will take a toll on the joints int he long run. Still fun to play with posing ATM :D

G1

Getter 1
09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Got both swords built now minus the beam blades. Made the connection functional also.

Now that all parts are tested I can put my report together for CB. After that only thing to do is build the other arm :P

I got a couple 1/400 figures of the Sword and Blast Impulse Gundams for comparison. Funny I've fallen way behind on building hte 1/100 plastic kit :P

G1

marksolo
09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
absolutely stunning. If I am Bandai, I would be afraid, very afraid.....

Getter 1
09-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Other arm now built. Only the left hand and sword beam blades to go but it's a bit late now so a quick pose then it's beddy bye :P

G1

marksolo
09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
impeccable, immaculate, flawless, sukoi, awesome, ichi-ban, and i am running out of adjactives, so just finish it already! :)

Janx
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Subarashii desu yo! Fantastic building there G1 :D

Nazgul
09-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Good work G1..very neat!

Getter 1
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Arigato Gents :D

I got the build more or less done now. Not sure if I want to lock down a pose yet so I'll leave it as is till I make up my mind :P Getting caught up on the plastic kit now. I'm contemplating getting the actual plastic Sword Impulse (the plastic one I have is the Force Impulse) now to :P I wasn't too interested in SEED Destiny till I built this model so the wallet is cringing :P

I temporarily attached the weapons to the back unit so you can see it fully loaded. Ah yes for those wondering the swords are acting as props to keep it from tiping over on his back :P

The Shield has a peg mount so it can rotate for various poses.

CB, Mnay thanks for letting me participate in your project :D Very well designed model and it was a lot of fun to build. A true pleasure ;)

G1

marksolo
09-24-2009, 09:56 PM
A picture perfect finish G1.

Forum admin must be blind because it is high time that one of your pics gets plastered in the home page of this site.

How about it PaperModelers.Com? Rickstef is it? Surely if you want to knock people off their socks you can use a pictire from this set.

ThunderChild
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Another masterpiece built by the master!

Good build G1! :D

Getter 1
09-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks Guys :D

TC, so now that I finished this one did you still want me to reveal the secret project? You can do it as you have plenty of pix from the test group ;)

G1

Senzasuono
09-26-2009, 03:54 AM
mythical G1 ;)
Gundam and this' wonderful
then with swivel joints WOW fantastic :eek::D
great job and great satisfaction ;)