PDA

View Full Version : Are papermodels really puzzles?

Phil
09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Browsing through my downloaded models, I notice a very high percentage of them have no instructions. Of the hundred or so I built, most had no instructions.

I got to thinking about this when a neighbor kid showed us a puzzle he completed. I told him " I don't like solving puzzles" followed by my Wife laughing. She reminded me of the uninstructed models I built.

I remember reading somewhere, maybe Steve Brown's cardmodeling faq, that some view papermodeling as solving puzzles. There are sometimes several ways to assemble each part with similar results and each designer and builder is different.

Could this be an heretofore unwritten cosmic joke that nobody told us? lol

goney3
09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for starting this poll Phil. Couldn't agree more :)
I never thought about it either until you brought it up.

Cheers!

SCEtoAUX
09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
The models without instructions seem like those 3D jigsaw puzzles. Heck, even some of the models with instructions can be like elaborate puzzles.:)

dansls1
09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I'd take it a step further. Paper modeling has 2 steps of puzzle solving. The first is as you mention, instructions for models (and I mean all models, not just paper models) are generally lacking at best. I remember picking up many a plastic model and looking at diagrams that were sketchy or just plain wrong on how to assemble things. The amount of parts and limited ability to document every individual step for most card models makes this more evident.
The second thing is that even if you know exactly how each piece fits with every other one, you still have multiple ways to cut / bend / fold / roll / glue the individual pieces. Look at how many different types of cutting tools and glue are used by different people. Some swear by scissors and others scalples. There are at least 4 distinctly different types of glues used by different people, and the same people often use multiple types for different types of parts. This all represents each of us 'solving' the puzzle of building the model differently. And that's just scratching the surface, as I didn't mention scoring, shaping and many other different techniques.

MOS95B
09-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, for all the reasons stated above. But

Most models just need more cowbell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt8bJdmUlSo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiG8yLf7h1M

Frank Kelle
09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, I agree with you all! They ARE 3D-Puzzles - and THIS is one of the most fascinating thing... to make a huge (more or less) 3D-thing out of a sheet of printed paper, or?

Btw: thank you Mos95B for the links, now I know exactly that you mean with "more cowbells" - I start at one to learn how to play this beautiful instrument

Jim Nunn
09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
La Puente or West Covina??

I voted for the puzzle choice but I drive through West Covina to my office near La Puente that would be my second choice.

Jim Nunn

Fozzy The Bear
09-26-2007, 04:43 PM
:confused: OTHER.... Are paper modelers at all bothered either way??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Phil
09-27-2007, 08:00 AM
:confused: OTHER.... Are paper modelers at all bothered either way??

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

No, bothered was not a poll option.

@Jim Nunn, West Covina, or mention of that city, is an inside joke for those who know me well. La Puente was added for flair!

Lex
09-27-2007, 08:12 AM
--I remember building a Scharnhorst without instructions, so that's a "yes", but otherwise, I'd say "no" ^^

West Covina? Not this time...

Frank Kelle
09-27-2007, 08:15 AM
--I remember building a Scharnhorst without instructions, so that's a "yes", but otherwise, I'd say "no" ^^

West Covina? Not this time...

Scharnhorst without instruction??? Which one??? Lex, you are my hero... :eek:

milenio3
09-28-2007, 05:23 PM
No 3D puzzles.

Paper modeling is WAY TOO MUCH HIGHER than that.

But, again, more philosophical thoughts can be added here.

kcorbin
05-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Of course they are puzzles. They are most especially a puzzle to the designer. You have to look at a structure then figure out the best way to make it in paper. You won't get any instructions it and in fact you are the one who has to create them. This task of course includes getting all the parts the right shape and figuring out how to manipulate the flat paper into the right shape. Also of course how it will all hold together.

A lot of times the instructions don't have clear photos or photos of every step so even for the buyer there are things to figure out.

Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/)puzzle

Something, such as a game, toy, or problem, that requires ingenuity and often persistence in solving or assembling.

Pgtaylorart
05-25-2015, 02:38 AM
I just drove through West Covina last night and I didn't need instructions. ;)

But, it is frustrating that so many models don't have adequate instructions. I recently gave up on a kit after spending days cutting out parts because I couldn't even tell what to start on first. It's a shame because it was a beautifully illustrated model. I even looked for a build report to see if anyone else has built it, but I couldn't find one. I guess I'm not the only one who couldn't figure it out!

ashevilleangler
05-25-2015, 01:10 PM
George,

Don't give up just yet. Tell us which model stymied you and I'd bet that this group could help figure it out.

Curt

ringmaster
05-25-2015, 01:54 PM
To quote Chip:
"Modeling isn't assembling"

herky
05-26-2015, 12:32 AM
Scharnhorst without instruction??? Which one??? Lex, you are my hero... :eek:

mmmmmmm guessing it may have been prudenziati.great models but no instructions for their ships

Sakrison
05-26-2015, 07:20 AM
According the dictionary:

Puzzle (noun)
: a question or problem that requires thought, skill, or cleverness to be answered or solved
: something or someone that is difficult to understand

I guess that applies to both the paper models and the modelers.
--David

N96HBK
05-26-2015, 07:54 AM
This gets me thinking...I'm not really sure about it.

gotham
05-26-2015, 08:37 AM
For me they are puzzles. It also puzzles me sometimes why I build them, as there are times I experience a high build failure rate to completed ratio.