PDA

View Full Version : To resize...or not to resize?

umtutsut
09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
For me, that is the question! ;-}

I already have a collection (~10) plastic or resin models of launch vehicles in 1/144 or 1/72 scale. Most card models of launch vehicles seem to be in 1/96 scale.

Are there any disadvantages to printing 1/96 models at 67% and building them at 1/144? Granted, they won't be as impressive in size, but would match the rest of my collection.

Curious if anyone else does this....

:cool: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

member_3
09-14-2009, 01:08 PM
The only disadvantage to size reduction is that the parts become smaller (more "fiddly", as we say) but that doesn't slow down some of our "Braille scale" builders who do aircraft at 1:144, 1:200 or smaller. You might have to shift from card stock to regular bond paper but that is not a big deal.

londonbluemisty
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
For me, that is the question! ;-}

I already have a collection (~10) plastic or resin models of launch vehicles in 1/144 or 1/72 scale. Most card models of launch vehicles seem to be in 1/96 scale.

Are there any disadvantages to printing 1/96 models at 67% and building them at 1/144? Granted, they won't be as impressive in size, but would match the rest of my collection.

Curious if anyone else does this....

:cool: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

"Ditto Old Troll"

The only disadvantage is the size that some of the smaller parts will be after reducing to 1/144:(

It might be easier to omit a 3d look of some of the smaller parts to a more flat 2d by just gluing the front face of the part to the model:o.

I have had some problems reducing 1/48 to 1/96 with some of the parts just to small for my big fingers!!

Wayne

Texman
09-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I find very little (no pun intended) real difference when I scale down to 1/144. I simply make adjustments to the color (I lighten it by about 15% brightness), and use 65lb cardstock as opposed to 110lb. For some of the smaller rolled parts like gear struts, machine guns, etc, I do use regular printer paper for that.

Retired_for_now
09-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Les,
The paper models I've tried so far work well resized from 50-200%. For the most part, the graphics detail looks just as good (sometimes even better when downsized to a "how did they do that" size).

However - echo the comments on some parts becoming very tiny fiddly bits - on the other hand, if they get too tiny they can sometimes be omitted with little impact on the finished model. Also, depending on the software a very reduced print may lose some of the original's very fine lines when printed. Probably a printer resolution issue.

I've been building the rocket garden at 1:200 and have used 1:96 (and one 1:48) scale original without a problem - caveat: I have not been building all the original detail, more "desk model" quality.

Yogi

joeblow321
09-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I do all my model in 1/144 or 1/48 I don't have a problem with going that small.