PDA

View Full Version : Mechwarrior 4 mechs

shiftdel
09-18-2009, 07:56 PM
This is (one of) my current WiP models, Templar from Mechwarrior 4. It is one of the actual game models, not one modeled by me from scratch, as the other which I released before.

It is at the cleaning stage, but seems easy and may be released soon. My plan was to finish Fafnir before it, but it is much more difficult to clean so I changed my mind...

http://img224.imagevenue.com/loc223/th_23426_templar_meta_122_223lo.jpg (http://img224.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=23426_templar_meta_122_223lo.jpg)

Millenniumfalsehood
09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Cool! Have you done a Thanatos yet? I was a bit partial to that design.

shiftdel
09-19-2009, 06:59 AM
I didn't, but this guy did:

The MechWarrior 3 Community Project :: View topic - Thanatos (http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=3538&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=thanatos&start=30)

However, seems that it is not available for download yet, as I couldn't find any link for it... :(

widget
09-19-2009, 04:42 PM
It's on BlaaRs download page : http://www.mediafire.com/BLaaR

shiftdel
09-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Ah, good! Thanks, I did look only at his FileFront page...

blaar
05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Extending shiftdel's topic.

I have finished the MW4 Highlander. This too is the actual in game model, provided to me by cantaris. So I only cleaned and unfolded it.

I finished the beta build a while back so here it is now.

Enjoy.

I will submit the model here and also upload it to my MediaFire Page as soon as I made some extra skins for it.

blaar
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Sorry about the double post.

I am also close to releasing another 2 mektek Mechs.

The Ursus and the Deimos. ( The Ursus was modeled from screen shots and the Deimos is the actual in game model)

SJPONeill
05-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Nothing to apologise for...more, more!!!! I love looking at these Mech models...grunty!!!

blaar
05-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Nothing to apologise for...more, more!!!! I love looking at these Mech models...grunty!!!

I will, I will.

Also started working on the MW4 Kodiak.

blaar
05-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I forgot. I also finished the Deimos and it is ready to be built. I don't have time to beta build it.

If any one wants to beta build please PM me.

blaar
05-29-2011, 11:18 PM
The Kodiak is done.

Moving on to the Beta build , hopefully soon. Still need to finish my "secret mech" :)

blaar
06-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Well. I finished my "secret build"

FAFNIR !!!!!!

Necroscope
06-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Hello folks,
this is my repaint of Vulture.
take a look: Äîðîæíûå áûëèöû - äíåâíèê (http://journals.ru/journals_comments.php?id=2901486)
Caution - a lot of images and Russian text. :)

blaar
06-07-2011, 12:46 AM
The Fafnir is ready for download. I have uploaded it to my MediaFire page and will also submit it here. I will not submit the skin pack here so you will have to grab it from my MedieFire page since it is a hefty 16mb file.

Sushibones
06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
That Fafnir is.. awesome!

shiftdel
06-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Very interesting Vulture, Necroscope. I like the machine gun barrels on the chin pod.

Uyraell
06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Blaar and Shiftdel : Gentlemen, Thank you both for an exceptionally fine series of very good Mechs.
I'm a long-standing fan of the sci-fi novels, and the mechs they portrayed, even though I was never able to enter the gaming aspect because of outdated computers (they STILL are) and lack of finances.

However, since I discovered paper modelling a couple years ago I've slowly been collecting such mechs as I found available online freely.

I'm count myself very blessed to be in possession of several of those each of you have offered at various times, and shall post build pics etc once I am able to build them.
Gentlemen, you have a very thankful fan of your works here.

Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

shiftdel
07-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Probably I still have some minor details to fix, but I decided to release a beta version of MekTek´s Grizzly (I did test build it, but I need some feedback from other experienced modelers, and from not so experienced modelers).

You can find on link below 2 download options, A4, or letter sheets, as well as a complete Grizzly´s customized joints set (not yet fully test built).

The MechWarrior 3 Community Project :: View topic - MW3 & MW4 Lost Downloads (http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=4040)

For who started to read this thread now, some pics of the finished model:
http://img202.imagevenue.com/loc5/th_49489_grizzly_final01_122_5lo.jpg (http://img202.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49489_grizzly_final01_122_5lo.jpg) http://img18.imagevenue.com/loc122/th_49497_grizzly_final02_122_122lo.jpg (http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49497_grizzly_final02_122_122lo.jpg) http://img203.imagevenue.com/loc383/th_49504_grizzly_final03_122_383lo.jpg (http://img203.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49504_grizzly_final03_122_383lo.jpg)

And the parts split.
http://img222.imagevenue.com/loc915/th_49483_grizzly_final_parts_122_915lo.jpg (http://img222.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49483_grizzly_final_parts_122_915lo. jpg)

blaar
08-01-2011, 03:29 AM
I have uploaded the Deimos, Ursus and Kodiak to my MediaFire page. I will also submit it here when I have some time to upload the files.

Vermin_King
08-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Are these Pepakura or pdf?

shiftdel
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Mine are all Pepakura

blaar
08-01-2011, 10:26 PM
DItto. Mine also all PDO files.

legion
08-02-2011, 02:42 AM
As usual with them, they are in Pepakura format. But it never hurts to ask for a .pdf of one.

cfuruti
08-02-2011, 05:40 AM
I have uploaded the Deimos, Ursus and Kodiak to my MediaFire page. I will also submit it here when I have some time to upload the files.

Thanks a lot to you and Shiftdel. After I finish my current WIP (articulations, reinforcements and detailing are taking too much time), it'll be hard deciding between the Deimos and the Grizzly, both have distinctive features and challenges. And while there's no way I can build all available MW models in my free time, I'm still waiting for the Templar...

blaar
08-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I know shiftdel is/was working on the Templar. Maybe he will finish it in the near future.

cfuruti
08-03-2011, 07:09 AM
I know shiftdel is/was working on the Templar. Maybe he will finish it in the near future.

Yes, so nice of him. Hopefully, like the recent Grizzly, he'll be friendly to articulation-addicted builders and include extra/extended parts; "growing" interpenetrating parts
from a PDF can be fun (remember Whammy's Warhammer?) but takes a long time and is IMHO more easily done at the modelling/cleaning phase.

Compound curves are always a personal challenge to me - maybe it's the big curvy cockpit that makes the Templar so enticing. On the other hand, engineering an articulation for that exposed kneecap will be interesting.

kjev
08-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I have Acrobat and can turn any PDO into a PDF if anyone needs it.

legion
08-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Does someone have all the mw4:Mercenaries textures? Specifically the Hellhound Sunset/Firestorm ones? The ones that came with the Hellhound have too much camo, or just don't look too good. Unfortunately, www.mechwarrior3.org (http://www.mechwarrior3.org) seems to have been shut down by Godaddy...

monkeyrum
08-08-2011, 07:18 AM
BLaar had all the textures on his mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/blaar) page I believe. I was checking here to see if dawgpack or someone was going to resurrect mech3 or if it's going to be dead for good.

kjev
08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Does someone have all the mw4:Mercenaries textures? Specifically the Hellhound Sunset/Firestorm ones? The ones that came with the Hellhound have too much camo, or just don't look too good. Unfortunately, www.mechwarrior3.org (http://www.mechwarrior3.org) seems to have been shut down by Godaddy...

I just checked and at a quick glance it looked like the site was still up.

blaar
08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
@ legion, I do have all the MW4 textures. I don't know what the sunset/firestorm skin look like, but if you can show me I can make it for you. The game uses a base detail texture file on which you apply the camo scheme at the bottom. I can either send you the TGA file and you can give it a shot or I could make the skin for you once I know how the sunset / Firestorm schemes look like.

legion
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Here is what they look like in the mechlab:

blaar
08-23-2011, 12:50 AM
@ Legion I searched but can not find the base camo you are looking for. I have PM'd cantaris who should have those base camo skins. Once I get it from him I will make up the skins for the Hellhound that you want. The strange thing is the camo's are not labeled as firestorm etc but rather skin1 skin2 skin3 etc. etc. Maybe that is why I am having difficulty tracking those base camo skins.

I have also finished the model of the Longbow. Currently I am in the process of unfolding.

blaar
09-19-2011, 10:51 PM
The Longbow is available for download :)

kjev
09-24-2011, 05:09 AM
You Rock Blaar!

You do know that, right?

blaar
09-25-2011, 10:48 PM
You Rock Blaar!

You do know that, right?

As always, thanks and enjoy :)

Millenniumfalsehood
09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
W00t! Longbow FTW! :)

glabbott
09-30-2011, 07:48 AM
WOOHOO a Longbow, I have the mini sitting with my other 150 mech mini's in my China Cupboard...yes I use my CHINA cupboard to hold my precious Battletech and WArhammer 40K mini's...why? Don't you?

blaar
10-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Moving back to my list of wanted mechs :

Here is another mech I always wanted. Years back "texteele" I think that was member, made an excellent Cauldron but it was to detailed for me to build. I have tried to modified his PDO to better suit my building style but to no avail.

So now I made my own.

Need to finish up the unfolding then I can start building it ...... oh, oky, after I have finished the Longbow that has been sitting and waiting to be finished for weeks now.

I made a WWII type of skin that I am going to build it in. I used some colors from the Spitfire camo and added the shark teeth *grin* , oh and one little minor detail.......... PIN UP GIRL !!!!!!!!!! *double grin*

I had a terrible time mapping the "nose". There was a lot of texture stretching so I tried to cheat a bit. There are some minor texture miss matching but at least those ugly stretch marks are gone.

legion
10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Sweet texture job, Blaar! Always had a soft spot for the CB, despite the bad torso/hip design (it has NO torso twist at all!). But it is low, fast and just mean with the various weapons.

blaar
10-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks legion, also I have not forgot about the skins you wanted. I have extracted all the skins I can find in the resource files but didn't find the once you want. I have PM'd another member at mech3 but he seems to be MIA.

legion
10-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Maybe they are just colour variations of another texture?

kjev
10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Awesome! I mean great work! (Not the 'mech)

blaar
10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
Just a little something I finished.

Overlord Drop ship.

You know where to get it. :)

Millenniumfalsehood
11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Excellent! Now I have something for my Mechs to deploy from. :cool:

Have you considered doing the MW4 Flea?

blaar
11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
i actualy tried a Mw4 Flea ages ago. But i can give a go again. Have way more exp now. I need to finish a promised Hunchback then i can make you tie flea.

Millenniumfalsehood
11-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks Blaar! The Flea is a favorite of mine; I like to arm it with twin machine guns, a medium pulse laser, and a small pulse laser and go after larger 'Mechs. Because of my small size and high speed, coupled with the respectable laser armament and high-efficiency heat sinks, I can run circles around them, chipping away at their armor without getting so much as a scratch. :cool:

kjev
11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks Blaar! The Flea is a favorite of mine; I like to arm it with twin machine guns, a medium pulse laser, and a small pulse laser and go after larger 'Mechs. Because of my small size and high speed, coupled with the respectable laser armament and high-efficiency heat sinks, I can run circles around them, chipping away at their armor without getting so much as a scratch. :cool:

OFF TOPIC.

Just a random thought. Please delete if it detracts from the thread.

You can put that much armament on a Flea?

Sorry, just the assault-jock in me talking.

blaar
11-06-2011, 11:29 PM
OFF TOPIC.

In MW4 : Mercs, YES you could, and you even have 1 ton left for adding more speed :)

blaar
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM
W00t! Longbow FTW! :)

DItto, finally had some time to build one.

Next I plan to build the Cauldron Born.

Millenniumfalsehood
11-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Nice work, Blaar! And a fine collection of Mechs you've got there! I think I'm going to start building all these Mechs I've downloaded over the years. ;)

OFF TOPIC.

Yep! In fact, in Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, there was a mission where you had to use a Flea (or whatever Light mech you happened to have in your mechbay) in the scout role, infiltrating an enemy base. I rearmed it with that loadout and increased the armor around the legs, and it turned out to be such a great combo that I went into the mechlab and did another one like that for use in "Waves", with (IIRC) the Sunset camo pattern. I like to use it when I want an exhilarating game of chicken with Heavies and Assaults. One hit and I'm dead, so when I survive five rounds with a Mad Cat or an Atlas in a Flea I really feel like I've accomplished something. :cool:

kjev
11-08-2011, 11:59 PM
I like the last picture the best. Do you have any shots of your entire collection?

blaar
11-09-2011, 06:20 AM
I like the last picture the best. Do you have any shots of your entire collection?

I will take a pic some time and post here ........ or here is a pic of my mechs, excluding the Longbow.

As of late some members with seriously good modeling skills, are building the mechs in plastic. I am almost done with the Hunchback for a member who wants to build the Hunchback in plastic. I will also release the PDO for others to build in paper.

Check out the plastic builds here :
Kodiak : http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=4970
Thanatos : http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=5615
Thor : http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=4973

cfuruti
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I concur with the Flea request, light Mechs are IMHO underrepresented as paper. My current WIP is in fact a light one, though for the last months real life has conspired to delay it...

Check out the plastic builds here :

I noticed in another thread you're considering adding white patches to the texture in order to show where to attach limbs and other parts. Please don't do that, since as you mentioned a white rim is likely to be visible when articulated versions rotate. The optional panel idea seems reasonable, if you can design panels whose edges match well with the texture of the part to be covered.
For my articulated mechs, I usually draw (in Inkscape) blank panels with the same shape and size as the faces to be glued, plus a circle marking the glue spot. I glue the panel to the inside of its part, then cut the circle off. So the panels both reinforce and serve as a positioning template (for both parts: I glue the male joint to the inside, not outside, so it also requires a hole).

Millenniumfalsehood
11-09-2011, 09:59 PM
^Agreed. I've got a soft spot for the Light class (though I'm just as comfortable in a Heavy, like my favorite Mech, the Catapult; what can I say, I like the support role ;)).

In fact, my first custom Mech design was a Light. It had a small missile pack, four light lasers, and a medium, and a maximum speed of 110 KPH. Okay, so that was more of a Medium class, or at least on the heavy end of the Light spectrum. Still, I *intended* it to be a Light. :cool:

There's just something cool about the fact that you can outrun and outmaneuver just about anything on the battlefield. Causing damage is another story, but the Mechwarrior Online game promises to make up for that by making Lights excel in the scout role, having a full electronic suite and the ability to get around undetected and scout out enemy positions.

blaar
11-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Looking over my shelve of mechs, I could only count 3 light mechs. The only MW4 released light mech that I have not yet built was the Osiris cantaris released long ago.

So yes. Maybe it is time for some more light mechs. I am finishing the Hunchback as we speak then I will do some light mechs first being the Flea. Then perhaps either the Raven or Owens.

I think I also have an idea about that markings where the joints should be. Instead of cutting away the texture and making the white marks where it should go, I will copy the whole face and then cut away where the joints should be. That way you can use the extra supplied face as a template to mark where you want to glue or make the joints. That way it also saves on ink for the template since I plan to leave it white.

See attached pic of what I have in mind.

Millenniumfalsehood
11-09-2011, 11:59 PM
That's not a bad idea! It certainly would make creating articulated joints that much easier.

Nice work on the Hunchback, too! He's a mech I want on my shelf (I say that and the only Mech I've got, or rather had, is a MW3 Shadowcat which my Dog thought would go good with his dinner . . .).

cfuruti
11-10-2011, 04:50 AM
I am finishing the Hunchback as we speak then I will do some light mechs first being the Flea. Then perhaps either the Raven or Owens.
The Raven's curved nose would be a good challenge. Curves are cool. Speaking of which, I'm partial to such designs departing from the classic "giant robot" archetype - like the medium MekTek Hollander, or the heavier Marauder/Marauder II and Behemoth. But I'm still craving for Shiftdel's very orthodox Templar. So many models, so little time!

Instead of cutting away the texture and making the white marks where it should go, I will copy the whole face and then cut away where the joints should be. That way you can use the extra supplied face as a template to mark where you want to glue or make the joints.
Very good, in fact I had failed to mention this jig technique. I use it to make sure a thick overlaid panel (used to simulate detail) is glued in the same spot at both sides of a model, when the underlying texture is too uniform to clearly mark the place. When used for limbs, the glued limb might make impossible removing the blank template through the hole - that's not a problem, just print it twice and tear them off after use.

blaar
11-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Coming very very soon ......... should be a quick model to do since there are no arms and the legs are relatively simply too.

Indeed curved / round parts does make it harder, like the Couger with its small cone shaped nose.

There is one mech I really would like to make some day for myself and that is the Mektek Black Heart. Still I need to sit take screen shots and model it from scratch like the way I did with the Kanazuchi. But for the time being I am just lazy and decided to work on models that I already have.

I actually have the Templar too, but I have already stolen Fafnir from shiftdel, cant do it to him again. So we all must wait till the day he releases the Templar. Still, it is a mech I wouldn't mind having myself.

kjev
11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Is there a model of the Behemoth/Stone Rhino out there? It's one of my favorites. Dual Gauss, jump jets, and 100 tons of attitude! Plus I won a scenario with one once.

blaar
11-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I know Yogsolthan over at mech3.org was working on one. I could try and make one later in the future, but for now my to do list is relatively , uhm ........ time constraint lol

Millenniumfalsehood
11-10-2011, 11:39 PM
That Flea looks terrific, Blaar! I will have to export the color scheme I used and apply the texture to this model to accompany my Catapult.

blaar
11-11-2011, 01:32 AM
The Hunchback is ready for download. I tried to add the skin pack here but the upload failed at each attempt. Maybe the file size was to big. Grab the skin pack from my Media Fire page.

As always.

ENJOY !!!!

kjev
11-11-2011, 04:29 AM
I know Yogsolthan over at mech3.org was working on one. I could try and make one later in the future, but for now my to do list is relatively , uhm ........ time constraint lol

You produce so many mechs that I REALLY cannot complain. Just continue to say thank you!

Millenniumfalsehood
11-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey Blaar, I'm getting an error message when I try the link to your Mediafire page in your sigline. Is their website down or is it my machine?

NStarkel
11-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey Blaar, I'm getting an error message when I try the link to your Mediafire page in your sigline. Is their website down or is it my machine?

Nope not just you.

Jubotron2060
11-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Hi BlaaR

I'm getting a 404 error message when I try to access your Mediafire site. I'm using both Internet Explorer and Firefox and get the same message in both.

blaar
11-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Guys I dont know what is going on with my mediafire account. I have not received any reply from mediafire staff regarding my account. Most of my models are uploaded here at paper modelers too so for time being graa them from here. If my page is not fixed by monday then I will upload all my models some place else.

blaar
11-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi BlaaR

I'm getting a 404 error message when I try to access your Mediafire site. I'm using both Internet Explorer and Firefox and get the same message in both.

Seems like MediaFire has upgraded their interface. All my files are still there but I have no idea how to get the simplified link back. For now you will have to use this one :

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/?0sexct8u86nk9)

I will update my sig ASAP

Millenniumfalsehood
11-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks Blaar! With that mess way back when with AOL Hometown's meltdown, I'm a bit paranoid about web hosts. ;)

EDIT: Just downloaded. I was pleasantly surprised that the main cannon on the shoulder has an option for a hollow barrel! Thanks for that!

blaar
11-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Thanks Blaar! With that mess way back when with AOL Hometown's meltdown, I'm a bit paranoid about web hosts. ;)

EDIT: Just downloaded. I was pleasantly surprised that the main cannon on the shoulder has an option for a hollow barrel! Thanks for that!

No problem. I think it looks better that way. I wanted to do all the barrel holes but some will just be to small for the average builder (like me) to build.

I am almost done with the Flea. I have searched high and low for the sunset base camo but can't find it ......... do you have it perhaps :)

blaar
11-14-2011, 05:56 AM
The Flea is finished. I just need to sit and make some skins for it.

I must say, I don't think I have ever made a MW4 Mech scaled at 1/40 with so few parts and pages. 50 odd parts and only 4 A4 pages.

No wonder these things are cheap to make in the BattleTech universe. lol I think the Atlas's armor alone is about the weight of a Flea.

legion
11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
More... IIRC, most of the 100ton assaults carry atleast 25 tons of armor. And about 50 tons of weapons and ammo. The rest is engine and misc stuff. Now I kinda would like to see a 100 ton fleaIIC...

Neptune
11-14-2011, 11:18 PM
While digging through all of my CD's looking for an old game for MF, I found a copy of Mech Warriors... Anyone need anything from that?

Millenniumfalsehood
11-15-2011, 01:46 AM
I am almost done with the Flea. I have searched high and low for the sunset base camo but can't find it ......... do you have it perhaps :)

Let me check my Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries file for it. Actually, it may not have been Sunset. I'll go through the camos until I find the correct one (I'd check the actual mech, but I lost my old computer back in '08 and the Flea went with it. Life sucks sometimes).

EDIT: It was 40-Kell Hound. Don't know why I said Sunset; that's a MW3 camo pattern and not even close to the red-and-black paintjob I loved back when I played this Flea. #-o

blaar
11-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Let me check my Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries file for it. Actually, it may not have been Sunset. I'll go through the camos until I find the correct one (I'd check the actual mech, but I lost my old computer back in '08 and the Flea went with it. Life sucks sometimes).

I found it. Took me a while to figure out the texture since the names are all cryptic (skin%01.tga) etc. I hope this is what you are looking for. :)

@ Legion, I finally found those skins you were looking for. Making them up for you know as I post this. Will upload it for you in a sec.

Edit 1 : Just saw your post edit. Will have a look for the skin.

Edit 2 : Here you go .......... got it. Was easy to find.

Edit 3 : Flea is available for download.

Enjoy

Millenniumfalsehood
11-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Thank you! I did have a question about it. What happened to the little "pipe" on the lower joint of the leg? It was in the old picture of your model.

blaar
11-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Thank you! I did have a question about it. What happened to the little "pipe" on the lower joint of the leg? It was in the old picture of your model.

Oh ghezz, thanks for pointing that out. Seems like I forgot to "unhide" it when I exported it from Sketchup.

Lemme fix it ASAP.

Should be quick fix.

Edit : Fixed

rockpaperscissor
11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Thank you, thank you, this is great! I've been waiting for a Flea for some time now. The first mech I ever build was vlmarshall's Fire Ant, a Flea variant, and I've been hoping ever since that a more detailed model would be designed. Bless you, sir.

Wulf111
11-15-2011, 08:30 AM
have you finished this one yet??

Neptune
11-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Guess not...

While digging through all of my CD's looking for an old game for MF, I found a copy of Mech Warriors... Anyone need anything from that?

blaar
11-15-2011, 12:04 PM
So. Any requests for a mech from mechwarrior 4 ? I am very keen to make the Puma next but would rather do something that the community wants.

legion
11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
What about the Uller/Kitfox?

I recieved the skins, by the way. They look damn sweet on the Hell Hound. Which I might build at a smaller scale, like 1/144...

Millenniumfalsehood
11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
I think he already has the Uller.

I for one would like an Owens from MW4. I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought the model in MW3 was ugly and don't want to build it; the MW4 model is much better looking and more true to the original illustration.

Out of curiosity, how many 'mechs do you have left to do from MW4?

Also, what about the designs from Mechassault 1 and 2? You can't extract them, but I think there are enough videos and stillls of the 'mechs to get an idea of what they look like and their textures. I'd love a Blood Asp from that game.

blaar
11-15-2011, 10:51 PM
@wulf111
The CB is finished yes. I still need to swap the optional template parts around and remove the white marked pieces and re-apply the texture. I decided to remove the white mark areas for the guys like millennium etc who like to make joints and having the white marked areas might be a problem for them. Instead I am making templates to mark where the joints should go.

@ legion
Indeed, shiftdel released the Uller some time ago. Unfortunately I do not know where he is hosting his files since his File Front page went down. You might find it over at mech3.org since I know he was posting some models there in the topics. If you do not find it, let me know and I will e-mail it to you.

@millennium
There are still quite a bit of mechs to go. I have all the mechs up until the mekpak 2 expansion. Unfortunately Mektek decided to encrypt their work since the release of mekpak 3 and onwards. At least I have all the textures for the mechs but I will have to remodel them from scratch if I want to convert the mekpak 3 mechs to paper. I already did 2 mechs from the mekpak 3, the Ursus and the Kanazuchi. So, there are still a lot of mechs yet to come.

I do not have Mechassault nor a XBOX so I will have to dig on the internet to find sceens / vids etc to be able to model them. I suppose I could try that once I ran out of mechs from MechWarrior 4 / Mektek.

The BloodAsp is another mech I want, and I have been bugging Walter to share his great Blood Asp with me but till date not luck. If you know him, maybe you could twist his arm a bit. I have modeled the Mektek Blood Asp but the texture of the mech isn't as good as the one Walter made. So I am rather holding of and hoping for Walters Blood Asp. I have attached pics showing the two versions. The yellow skinned Asp is from mektek and the other on is Walters.

The Owens I tried to model back in my early Sketchup days but never finished it. Perhaps I should finish it off now.

Millenniumfalsehood
11-16-2011, 02:12 AM
I've got a copy of Mechassault. If I get some spare time I might just see if I can get some detailed screenshots of the Blood Asp. The MA2 model is, I think, better looking than the classic Battletech design, with the spiked Plasma PPCs and the SRMs in vertical racks on either side of the cockpit.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/24/10832-Mech_BloodAsp.jpg

cfuruti
11-16-2011, 04:46 AM
@wulf111
remove the white marked pieces and re-apply the texture. I decided to remove the white mark areas for the guys like millennium etc who like to make joints and

Thank you thank you thank you.

The BloodAsp is another mech I want, and I have been bugging Walter to share his great Blood Asp with me but till date not luck..
Yes, I first saw Walter's model, in an untextured version. Later I saw the in-game model and was sorely disappointed.

kjev
11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I didn't know the Clans used the Bushwacker!;)

Aww, I know what it is. I just detest the metal mini. It's kind of a pain in the ...azimuth...to put together. And I'm a Mad Cat II fan.

But I know when the Cauldy's finished, I will have a request from my brother to build him one.

kjev
11-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you thank you thank you.

Yes, I first saw Walter's model, in an untextured version. Later I saw the in-game model and was sorely disappointed.

Amen. Walter is a fantastic artist. I just he was more prolific.

MF's red version would be great too, although I think spikes on the PPCs are kinda weird.

Millenniumfalsehood
11-16-2011, 11:21 PM
The spikes remind me of a bull's horns, though that may be because my dad and I watched PBR up until I turned 13 or 14.

The main thing I like about the Mechassault version though is that it is a lot leaner than the Battletech design. It's got a much better profile in that regard.

blaar
11-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Those "spikes" reminds me of the Hercs from Earth Siege / Star Seige when mounted with Electron Flux Weapon (ELF).

the Junkyard: Starsiege Weapons (http://legacy.the-junkyard.net/weapons-starsiege.php)

blaar
11-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Light mechs are cool ......... the torso's aren't as complex as the heavy's ....... lol

Finished the torso of the Owens.

will69
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Hmmm.. reminds me of an certain cockpit... hmmm. The Y-wing, maybe... hehehe:rolleyes:;);) Nice work on the mech...

kjev
11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Looks good.

I actually used one in the Mechwarrior: Mercs demo. I liked it.

shiftdel
11-18-2011, 05:26 PM
What about the Uller/Kitfox?

I recieved the skins, by the way. They look damn sweet on the Hell Hound. Which I might build at a smaller scale, like 1/144...

Legion, you can find almost all available paper mechs on this link, including my Uller:

The MechWarrior 3 Community Project :: View topic - Mechwarrior Paper Model Download Links (http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=3244)

About the Hell Hound, good luck, I think it will be a hard build due to the several small pieces.

That is one of my babies that I must build sometime. Now that I am finally able to make my Silhouette cut on register (not missing by a large margin), I can find time to build more stuff.

legion
11-19-2011, 07:37 AM
One model i haven't seen yet of MW3 is the Champion, one of my favourite (looks only) mechs.

Going to build the HH at full size though.

rockpaperscissor
11-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Legion, Yogsolthan over at the mechwarrior3 community project site has designed a Champion. Here's a link to all his models. The Champion is in there. Index of /Papercraft/Devs (http://yogsolthan.free.fr/Papercraft/Devs/) It's a beta, but I wouldn't be too worried about that. I've built one of his betas (Stalker), and it was trouble-free. He's a great mech designer.

Thanmos
11-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Well, hello from a fresh newbie, and may I add that a MW4 Argus is very much missed?

legion
11-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Argus was being worked on, iirc. Including the dual ballistic arms version. Check the MW3 community forum for more info.

RPS, that Champion i did find, but it isn't the MW3 one which i prefer. The MW3 Champion doesn't look as 'fat' as Yog's model (no offense ment). Unfortunately, running MW3 on a win7 era PC is a big failure. I could PM the guy who has/had all the extracted model and attempt unfolding myself.

blaar
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
The Champion on Yogsolthan page I believe was made by "smoking mirror" or something in that line, who made the model for the Battle Tech Sim.

The models feet are too small IMO.

I have mw3 I could try and run it on my win7 box using virtual PC or something. But it will be some time if I ever get to doing it. For now I am working on the MW4 merchs.

The Argus is also one of my favorites and was one of my very first models I tried to convert to paper. Madcatmaniac made a CBT version and I textured it with the MW4 texture.

I am not sure how far off cantaris was with the Argus but I will try and contact him and if he hasn't done to much I could give it a shot.

Thanmos
11-21-2011, 02:55 AM
Yes, I know of your CBT Argus, very good job, but the MW4 one is (imho) really different and unique! The most "real" looking mech of them all...

If you can make it, that would be REALLY awesome, BlaaR!!!

cfuruti
11-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Edit 3 : Flea is available for download.

I generated some PDFs and noticed the folding lines printed as dashed. I hate to bother you with details, but for your next model could you use thin continuous lines, or perhaps provide a no-lines version (I don't have Pepakura Designer)? Sometimes folding lines do detract from a model's appearance, dashed ones most of all. I can use Inkscape to remove the lines from the PDF, but it's slow work because every separate dash must be individually selected and erased.

BTW, although time constraints mean I won't build the Flea anytime soon, double thanks for the articulation-friendly ankle.

blaar
11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
I could make a no-lines version for you. See the fold lines work as follow.

_____________ = Cut line
Dashed - - - - - - = mountain fold line
Dashed -.-.-.-.-.- = valley fold line

If I were to change them to a solid line, it would be tricky to understand if the fold is valley or mountain. I score my valley lines at the back and the mountain on the front. So knowing before hand which one is which really helps.

Let me know in the future which models you want to build and I will export them for you with no lines or every line as solid, doesn't matter which you prefer, but I am not going to change my models from the default lines as mentioned above as they are being released.

blaar
11-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Speaking of releases .......... the Owens is up. :)

Thanmos
11-21-2011, 06:55 AM
It looks like every next model you release is better (made AND chosen) than the previous!!!

Very nice indeed...

Pls DO mess with the MW4 Argus, it'll be a stunner....

blaar
11-22-2011, 01:39 AM
It looks like every next model you release is better (made AND chosen) than the previous!!!

Very nice indeed...

Pls DO mess with the MW4 Argus, it'll be a stunner....

We will see mmmmmmkaaaaay :)

Millenniumfalsehood
11-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Woo-hoo! Owens!

As long as you're asking for MW4 'mechs, hows about an Osiris or a Wolfhound? ;)

I know there's already a MC2 Wolfhound, but I really hesitate to build MC2 models because they're so undetailed (though I have considered popping them into Pepakura Designer and shrinking them to tabletop mini size).

cfuruti
11-22-2011, 05:27 AM
I could make a no-lines version for you
If I were to change them to a solid line, it would be tricky to understand if the fold is valley or mountain.

Let me know in the future which models you want to build and I will export them for you with no lines or every line as solid, doesn't matter which you prefer, but I am not going to change my models from the default lines as mentioned above as they are being released.

Thanks a lot. Hmm, I had never felt the need to differentiate folding orientation in situ, probably because

I only build with ordinary paper, which is thin enough not to be much important whether I score on the valley or mountain side, and little harm is done if I invert a fold
With .pdo files, I always study each part, mainly looking for opportunities for reinforcement, articulation, extra detail or tab optimization, so at building time the folds are second nature to me

Also, I frequently omit "artificial" edges in favor of soft curves, betting on the paper's flexibility. E.g., gun cylinders and the diagonal lines on the side windows of Whammy & Shiftdel's Warhammer's cockpit, and the leg "cheeks" of Shiftdel's Shadow Cat (both use only continuous lines). The same applies to two diagonals in the orange trapezoidal "boxes" near the top of your Flea. Here most of all I don't want folding lines calling attention to the edges :)
I certainly appreciate yours and other creators's work, and don't want to impose on you regarding this matter.

Thanmos
11-22-2011, 05:47 AM
We will see mmmmmmkaaaaay :)

NOW THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

Should we dare think that pepakura-ing it is soon enough?

(For some reason, though there are a lot of masters in this art like you, your models have an attractive mix of sturdiness, accurate representation, good taste in selection, and easiness of construction that makes them instant hits and favorites! If it helps motivating you, consider this a flatter, but it's the truth!)

blaar
11-22-2011, 07:25 AM
NOW THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

Should we dare think that pepakura-ing it is soon enough?

(For some reason, though there are a lot of masters in this art like you, your models have an attractive mix of sturdiness, accurate representation, good taste in selection, and easiness of construction that makes them instant hits and favorites! If it helps motivating you, consider this a flatter, but it's the truth!)

Hey thanks a lot buddy. I will try and release the Argus soon.

I was busy playing around with Windows movie maker, so here is a video with a small montage of my built paper mech models.

Enjoy.

Edit : I am not sure how to post youtube vids so in case the posted video doesn't work ....... CLICK HERE !!! (http://youtu.be/wrSxpZMPmio)

http://youtu.be/wrSxpZMPmio

blaar
11-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks a lot. Hmm, I had never felt the need to differentiate folding orientation in situ, probably because

I only build with ordinary paper, which is thin enough not to be much important whether I score on the valley or mountain side, and little harm is done if I invert a fold
With .pdo files, I always study each part, mainly looking for opportunities for reinforcement, articulation, extra detail or tab optimization, so at building time the folds are second nature to me
Also, I frequently omit "artificial" edges in favor of soft curves, betting on the paper's flexibility. E.g., gun cylinders and the diagonal lines on the side windows of Whammy & Shiftdel's Warhammer's cockpit, and the leg "cheeks" of Shiftdel's Shadow Cat (both use only continuous lines). The same applies to two diagonals in the orange trapezoidal "boxes" near the top of your Flea. Here most of all I don't want folding lines calling attention to the edges :)

I certainly appreciate yours and other creators's work, and don't want to impose on you regarding this matter.

No problem. I can understand your need for lineless or solid lines. I will make you special versions as you request them, you just need to ask. :)

blaar
11-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Woo-hoo! Owens!

As long as you're asking for MW4 'mechs, hows about an Osiris or a Wolfhound? ;)

I know there's already a MC2 Wolfhound, but I really hesitate to build MC2 models because they're so undetailed (though I have considered popping them into Pepakura Designer and shrinking them to tabletop mini size).

Cantaris released the Oriris a while back, download available HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c5be290952186d64ab1eab3e9fa335ca8a17d1f8 861cd019) , the topic over at mech3.org HERE. (http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=4234)

As for the Wolfhound, I think shiftdel is working on it :)

shiftdel
11-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Yes, I´m working on Wolfhound too, but if the guys are eager to get it, I can share my work with anyone with more free time, so it can be to finished faster, as it is down on my priorities list by now.

Millenniumfalsehood
11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
No rush on the Wolfhound, I just want to round out my selection of Lights. ;)

I'll get right on that Osiris! Thanks for the link. :cool:

blaar
11-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I have made some progress with the Argus. The torso needs a lot of work. Loads of intersecting / broken parts and the amount of texture stretching is just ridiculous. I am trying to fix most of the texture problems but it is hard since nothing really fits. Once I am done with the torso I will post some pics for review.

Thanmos
11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Woohoo! Way to go, and may the Force be with you...
...Wait, no, that's from another thread...

Anyway, good news!

blaar
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Woohoo! Way to go, and may the Force be with you...
...Wait, no, that's from another thread...

Anyway, good news!

The torso is done for the most part. Now it should be smooth going.

I have decided to make some optional detail parts. Just to add some more look and detail. Shiftdel used it excellently on his Shadow Cat and I thought it would work well in the case of the Argus.

Hardest / trickiest parts are going to be those bubble shaped pieces at the front of the torso. I tried to make them easier.

blaar
11-24-2011, 03:28 AM
I am going all out on the Argus.

Millennium is going to have to make some joints for you guys to be used with the Argus. I have "hollowed" out the lower leg parts so that they can be articulated.

This model is loaded with posing options. I also plan on making extra parts to replace the LRM so that you can make an Argus XT. :)

Thanmos
11-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Are you NUTS?

You're gonna give me a heart attack!!!

Your best model ever is gonna be the Argus???

WoooooHoooooo!

blaar
11-24-2011, 05:06 AM
LoL

Anyway. I am done with the prep work. Now just to unfold. Must say, even with all the extra parts I made, there still is only 88 or so parts to build, and that is including if you build both sets of lower legs.

Attached is pic of the Argus in pepakura. To the left is the MW4 Argus and to the right all the optional stuff. I am unsure on how much height I should have given the "raised plates" so I hope they look good once built.

In the pic you can't see it, but I made some "bolt" like parts for the legs. They seemed pretty flat and lacked detail. Hopefully the "bolts" will make it look better. They are at the ankles and at the top outer side of the middle leg.

Oh yes, I know there seems to be quite a bit of open edges but I don't think, or let me rephrase , I hope the work out good.

I found that having the faces in the in side does make the parts stronger when gluing onto the main parts but when building with thicker paper / card they tend to fit difficult plus having the glue tab and the internal face makes it a bigger edge. (I hope my explanation makes sense :)

legion
11-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Blaar, could you do a dual LRM version as well? Kinda like a mini-Longbow?

I also started on the Hellhound, in around 1/80 scale.

blaar
11-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Sure. Can do. Will add the LRM for you.

kjev
11-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Wow. Just wow.

blaar
11-24-2011, 11:57 PM
This has got to be the most customizable mech I have ever done.

You can :
1. Add detail parts
2. Make a XT version - either with dual lasers or LRM's
3. Optional lower legs that can be articulated. (for those you will need to make your own joints by either making them like MF did, or by using shiftdel's generic sets or make your own. I just "hollowed out" the lower parts.

No for the unfold. would have been odd 60 or so pieces. Now it is almost 100. Pity one can't select similar parts and pepakura unfolds them the same.

Ah well.

blaar
11-25-2011, 03:01 AM
I am curious, when you guys build parts like small cylinders , bolt like shapes etc, how do you prefer the unfold ?

Take a look at my attached pic and please let me know which is suits you better.

Is is unfold A or B or C.

Thanks

Thanmos
11-25-2011, 03:10 AM
I believe "A" might be preferrable....

The customization you offer is tremendous, though!

Since everybody asks, I am informing you on the next models you WILL (lol) make:

MW4/MP3 Behemoth II, Ares, Avatar, Crab, and I'm off your back!

blaar
11-25-2011, 04:27 AM
I believe "A" might be preferrable....

The customization you offer is tremendous, though!

Since everybody asks, I am informing you on the next models you WILL (lol) make:

MW4/MP3 Behemoth II, Ares, Avatar, Crab, and I'm off your back!

LoL, we will see. You already got your Argus. Until such time that you post a build pic of the Argus you get nothing more on your wish list ....... j/k

I am already working on my next mech. This one is one I wanted for a loooooong time. I finally got hold of the artist who was kind enough to share the original model with me ...... so stay tuned. It is going to be a stunner of a mech.

I am done with the PDO. Just labeling some pages now. I almost made a mistake and arranged the parts as I go, which is what I normally do. But in the Argus's case I had to move and split some parts onto its own page. Basically the first few pages will be the torso and pelvic area with the upper leg parts followed by the feet and toes. Then I have put all the weapons on its own pages. So the LRM left / right is on its own pages same goes for the laser / gun parts. I did the same for the standard and alternative lower leg parts. Last but not least the extra details are right at the bottom.

So when you print your model you print the first few pages. Then you select the pages containing the parts that you want.

Hope my page lay out makes sense once you guys have the PDO.

Thanmos
11-25-2011, 05:07 AM
I already got it!!!

Gotcha!

Zillion thanks and sorry for the announcement ruin buddy!

You'll get them as built photos allright when ready!

blaar
11-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Bwahahahaha , I tried to keep it silent and wondered if any one is going to notice. Good on yah.

Enjoy.

I am making some base skins now. Will upload to my page when I am done.

So can you guess the next mech ?

legion
11-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Blaar, for those bolt parts, a combination of A and B is best. Put the outer tabs on the white part (like in B), but keep the inner tabs. This way, you can close the part with the smoothest result. It also makes the ring easier to glue because you can grip the parts with pincets.

On the HH front, i am making joints for the arms and legs. Thanks for the LRM version of the Argus.

Thanmos
11-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Your Argus is a FINE model I must say!

A new class of models IMHO, at least as far as detail goes!

Give us a hint on the next one?

Millenniumfalsehood
11-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey Blaar! In answer to your question regarding cylinders/cones, here's my input.

My preferred style depends on how shallow the cone is. If it's close to a true cylinder, I prefer the flaps to be on both of the 'caps'. If it's shallower, I prefer the flaps to be on the side faces.

Now, if it's a stack of cones to create a curve, I like it the opposite way. This allows the stronger base cones to be built and the smaller cones to be stacked on top of them.

Update on the joints: I've got three out of fourteen designs completed. I've also got a great design for the joint cover! It'll function very well and keep the joint covered no matter the angle. It's a lot like the shoulder joints on suits of armor, with several segments which fold into each other. I promise, it'll be worth the wait, for use in ankles and shoulders (and the elbows of the Timber Wolf). :)

legion
11-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Hmm, Blaar, how do the hip joints work on the Hellhound?

Stormeagle
11-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi Blaar, is the next one the Hatchetman -- Axman?

blaar
11-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Hmm, Blaar, how do the hip joints work on the Hellhound?

Not sure, shiftdel created the Hellhound.

When I built mine years back I choose to build it with the fixed legs.

Looking the model over now, it would seem you can build the lower legs to be articulated by using the optional parts.

Hi Blaar, is the next one the Hatchetman -- Axman?

Nope sorry. But YogSolthan released his last week. You can download it from his site : YogSolthon's Paper Models (http://yogsolthan.free.fr/Papercraft/Devs/)

He has created some very nice models not seen any where in any PC game mechwarrior related.

cfuruti
11-28-2011, 04:58 AM
I am curious, when you guys build parts like small cylinders , bolt like shapes etc, how do you prefer the unfold ?

Take a look at my attached pic and please let me know which is suits you better.

Is is unfold A or B or C.

Thanks

Sorry for the late, long answer. For personal reasons, in Mech leg/arm conical sockets (I've explained how I glue a white template to the reverse side, both for reinforcement and to mark where an articulation hole must be cut) I don't like the A-style "inner" tabs; my favorite building sequence is:

score and cut the part
glue the template (scored cone sides make sure it is centered)
cut the hole
glue the joint, the sides and additional reinforcements

Because of this, A-style tabs either are glued before the template, complicating the hole cutting because the part's no longer flat, or are glued later, and the template's thickness increases the likelihood of some white appearing.

I dislike B-style outer tabs, because:

the ring is weakened
the tabs must be necessarily narrow
it's harder to align
A/C outer tabs allow omitting the big white disc, or replacing it with a reinforcement

However, I wouldn't care much should you choose differently, because this kind of tab is easily rearranged on the spot. The only thing it's harder to change is the ring/petal arrangement; if the number of sides is high, I prefer either petals (C) or a ring detached from the central core, because it becomes increasingly difficult neatly cutting and folding the two inner tabs's narrow white slivers (the ones nearest to the "B") - especially small parts are prone to asymmetry.

blaar
11-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Your Argus is a FINE model I must say!

A new class of models IMHO, at least as far as detail goes!

Give us a hint on the next one?

Can you guess the name ?

Thanmos
11-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Nice rarity!

The Black Heart indeed!

I myself like the less humanoid mechs, (as far as looks is concerned), but I guess that this is a liking for the performance you have, quiaff? (lol)...

blaar
11-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Oky, so I want to release this model with optional joints.

I am making joints at the hips, shoulders and at the guns. The guns and shoulders should be easily do able. The hips is the part that is making me doubt how I should make it.

Attaching the peg to the hips is going to give problems because then you will need to go through several parts when making a hole to attach the leg. I am not connived that making a hole on the first bolt like part is going to be deep enough to keep the legs from swaying left / right.

I was thinking to attach the peg to the square hip parts and then have a tube right through the hip part. The pegs will meet each other half way but will not touch each other. I am attaching a pic.

What do you guys think ?

Also I know I can not make the male / female parts the same diameter because it will result in a too close fit or no fit at all. I have scaled the one part 1% bigger or smaller than the other.

Is it too much or too little ?

It is hard to determine how much to scale the one from the other since when scaling the model in pepakura to the 1/40 scale, I don't really know how much the gap is going to increase or even decrease.

I know , I should have set a scale before I started.

Edit : Checking the height of the model in Sketchup it is 1450, toes till top of head.

If I make either the male or female diameter 1mm bigger or smaller would it be a good fit. The BlackHeart is close to 260mm in height at the 1/40 scale I plan on using.

cfuruti
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I am making joints at the hips, shoulders and at the guns. The guns and shoulders should be easily do able.

I don't see why the problem with male/female calibers won't happen with these upper joints.

I am not connived that making a hole on the first bolt like part is going to be deep enough to keep the legs from swaying left / right.

Probably not, on the other hand gluing the peg only to the first bolt puts some pressure on the other bolts/thigh joints. Should I build it, I'd probably attach the peg to either hip or thigh and make holes through all bolts anyway.

I was thinking to attach the peg to the square hip parts and then have a tube right through the hip part. The pegs will meet each other half way but will not touch each other. I am attaching a pic.

What do you guys think ?

Also I know I can not make the male / female parts the same diameter because it will result in a too close fit or no fit at all. I have scaled the one part 1% bigger or smaller than the other.

The male/female caliber ratio depends on paper thickness, so I guess any value you choose won't work for everyone. It also wouldn't work exactly for people who build at different scales (e.g., I print four pages per sheet). In the end, I'd suggest you to make a test, selecting by trial-and-error the ratio which you think is best for the medium you are comfortable with. Then in the README-like file you provide, make clear that adjustments will likely be necessary; after all articulation lovers probably are experienced enough to cope with them.
BTW instead of a single tube I usually make two half female joints with petals, leaving a small gap between them. This means male pegs must be shorter than with a single tube, but assembly is easier, because each pipe can separately be firmly attached to the inside of the hip part while it is still open, and the total length is less sensitive to the hip's inner reinforcement's thickness; optionally, when only the hip's top remains to be closed, a short strip with glue can be rolled over the half pipes's ends. This, like the peg's diameter, is obviously just another personal preference.

P.S. I had never seen the Black Heart. Can't avoid thinking of a Templar/Rifleman/Warhammer hybrid...

blaar
11-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Waay to much effort to try and sit and figure out what diameter to use for what medium. I think I will just make a "USE AT OWN RISK" in my readme file. At least if the joints don't fit you still have the uncut / original parts and you can make them according to your own needs, and if my joints work ..... well then great. :)

Will be building the Black Heart soon. Just need to get a skin going that I would like to build it in.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it does look like a hybrid of those mechs combined. Good point.

cfuruti
11-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Waay to much effort to try and sit and figure out what diameter to use for what medium. I think I will just make a "USE AT OWN RISK" in my readme file. .
Yes, that's my point - make just what's enough for you, but easy to adjust if necessary (and necessary it will be :)).
My Warhammer IIC build thread mentioned a quick-and-dirty application I wrote to draw male/female joints, given diameter and length. I roughly figured out the math to reduce the male caliber given paper thickness, but due to scaling and cutting imprecision, instead of blindly trusting the drawing, in practice it's better building the male joint first, then using it as a mold to trim the female one.

blaar
11-30-2011, 06:18 AM
So what mech would you like to see cfuruti ?

cfuruti
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
So what mech would you like to see cfuruti ?
Are you serious? I thought by this time you'd wish a break from modelling/unfolding...

Let's dream a bit, first of all Shiftdel's Templar. Walter's Blood Asp. Then, the Mektek Hollander II and Behemoth. You mentioned you already have the models for the MW4 Canis and Loki.
But perhaps you could just finish the Cauldron Born and the Warthog.

legion
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
What about the Thor/Summoner (and subsequently, the Loki/Hellbringer)?

legion
11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Here's the Hellhound Gallery (http://www.n15.nl/?page_id=298&album=6&gallery=68). Not done yet, but it'll be grand!

blaar
11-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Oky lets see :

Templar : shiftdel is working on it, I already stole Fafnir from him. So unless he says I can finish it, I rather not. Even though I want the Templar too along with others, I would rather wait. He is sorta my mentor :)

Walters Blood Asp : That one is just about a 0% chance. I have e-mailed Walter on several occasions, he did reply once stating that another member upset-ted him when he wanted to work with MW4 mechs and the said member did not want to share some of the models with him. So for the time being he is holding onto his own work. I will e-mail him again. Maybe we get lucky since his Blood Asp is amazing. No offense to the Mektek Blood Asp, but the one in MP3 isn't as good as Walters.

Mektek Hollander II / Behemoth : I might take a stab at the Hollander II, as for the Behemoth, don't know, maybe in the future but that is way down in my list.

Canis / Loki : I gave those models along with the Black Knight to monkeyrum who is working on them. Oh yes. For those who don't know. The Black Knight is available from monkeyrum's deviant art page.

Cauldron Born : It is ready for download but I want to build this one myself before releasing it. I know, but I want to be the first one to build this Cauldy since it has a special place in my heart.

Warthog / Pig : Since it is loosely based on several mechs one of which is the Longbow, and is also the most prominent I feel that it is going to be a boring process. But yes. I need to finish it sometime right.

Thor : Hmmm, maybe. We will see.

I am actually waiting on Teslacoil over at mektek to give me the go ahead to work on his Firefly. So hopefully I will be hearing from him soon.

Stormeagle
12-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Hi modelers,

Anyone thinking of working on the Sagittaire???I love this mech but I don't have the modeling skills to design it :mad:

cfuruti
12-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Templar : shiftdel is working on it, I already stole Fafnir from him. So unless he says I can finish it, I rather not.

Oh, I wouldn't ask it of you. Certainly he's is well aware of the "most wanted Mech", so let's hope that after the Grizzly and a recent Star Trek side trek ;) the Templar will be next... No one should complain, I guess 2011's a record year for MW paper model releases :cool:

He is sorta my mentor :)

He probably pioneered public MW4 paper models, and modelling from scratch IIRC.

shiftdel
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Oh, I wouldn't ask it of you. Certainly he's is well aware of the "most wanted Mech", so let's hope that after the Grizzly and a recent Star Trek side trek ;) the Templar will be next... No one should complain, I guess 2011's a record year for MW paper model releases :cool:

He probably pioneered public MW4 paper models, and modelling from scratch IIRC.

Yep, now I´m aware that is the "most wanted mech", I didn´t know that it was so desired... interesting.

As everyone must know, I am pretty slow to model, or clean, or build, or anything ;)

Besides this, Templar´s cleaning is almost done, just needing to review if everything s really Ok, and it will be ready to be Pepakured, which will take some more time.

Pioneered public MW4 mechs? Actually no, I got this fever with a model of the Daishi on a Taiwanese site (which also had MW3 Thor and Madcat), neither I pioneered modelling from scratch, that was an idea of Zecks.

What I simply did was to follow their path, and thanks to the papermodel community, we now have a lot of mech modelers and releasers, so no one can blame me for being too slow :D

kjev
12-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Blaar,

At the risk of sounding really dumb, did you ever finish the grizzly? I looked in your downloads and couldn't find it. Now that I actually have cash to get some models printed, I wanted to tackle it.

shiftdel
12-11-2011, 11:48 AM
At the risk of sounding really dumb, did you ever finish the grizzly? I looked in your downloads and couldn't find it. Now that I actually have cash to get some models printed, I wanted to tackle it.

Blaar surely not, because I did finish it ;)

That´s why you didn´t find it on his folder. You can find it here:

The MechWarrior 3 Community Project :: View topic - MW3 & MW4 Lost Downloads (http://www.mechwarrior3.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=4040)

2 options of page layout (A4 or Letter) and a custom made joints set.

kjev
12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Blaar surely not, because I did finish it ;)

That´s why you didn´t find it on his folder. You can find it here:

2 options of page layout (A4 or Letter) and a custom made joints set.

Well, when you risk sounding dumb...sometimes you sound dumb.

My sincere apologies Shiftdel. And thank you for the link.

blaar
12-11-2011, 11:14 PM
kjev, you are too hard on yourself.

Draelren
12-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Here's the Hellhound Gallery (http://www.n15.nl/?page_id=298&album=6&gallery=68). Not done yet, but it'll be grand!

If you finish this, holy hell! I WANT! :D

legion
12-17-2011, 07:16 AM
It's not done yet... And i don't sell my built models.

blaar
12-17-2011, 08:30 AM
maybe he refers to where to download the model. Drealren you will find the Hellhound over at mechwar3.org 3d craft forum download links.

moonwoka
03-13-2012, 04:20 AM
This thread's been silent for some time, but hopefully it's not forgotten.
I've been bashing myself for becoming collector rather than modeler. So, i decided it's time to build a 'mech or two. Then i ran into a problem:
1. skins are symmetrical which means that both sides of, let's say, Fafnir are identical. Or that numbers and letters (e.g. on Deimos) are mirrored.
2. camouflage pattern does not match on adjacent surfaces.
Now, i'm not trying to blame anyone. Guys, who turn 3D models into buildable ones, are doing terrific job. It's just static model doesn't come at you guns blazing. So you have more time to spot misaligned camouflage and stuff like that.
I'm not good with making/adjusting textures. So, i was wondering, if there is any way to export unfolded parts from Pepakura to image file, preferably not low-res. Then some things can be worked out with image editing software.

cfuruti
03-13-2012, 05:28 AM
1. skins are symmetrical which means that both sides of, let's say, Fafnir are identical. Or that numbers and letters (e.g. on Deimos) are mirrored.
2. camouflage pattern does not match on adjacent surfaces.
So, i was wondering, if there is any way to export unfolded parts from Pepakura to image file, preferably not low-res. Then some things can be worked out with image editing software.

That's a common problem with Mech models. It's very easy overlaying a random texture with the features TGA, but there's no warranty the texture will correctly flow across adjacent faces. For my current WIP I'm actually creating a custom texture which will minimize this issue. It's tedious work, and obviously completely Mech-specific.

Not only for skinwork, but also for extending and articulating Mech parts, I first "print" the .PDO to a PDF (I use PDFCreator, but there are other virtual printers available), then load it into Inkscape.

Inkscape is also nice for applying insignias and text. Even when left/right faces are separate (therefore not mirrored), the mapping in Pepakura is not always conformal (e.g., sometimes a circular badge becomes elliptical).

blaar
03-13-2012, 06:24 AM
The problems mentioned is known. I will try and explain why this happens.

1. The camo patterns will never seamlessly flow from one face to another, or one part to another. This do happen at times but it will never be possible with the whole model. That is the way the models was mapped by Microsoft artists who made the mechs and textured them. They were never intended to be used as paper models so there are flaws using them ripped from the game. Below is an example of the Fafnir base texture. Take a look at the torso for instance. The front and back of the torso is mapped to the top right , the top of the torso is mapped to the left top side while the side view is in between them in the middle. The bottom of the torso is right at the bottom of texture map. There is no way that the camo will flow from one face / part to another since the mapping of model was done as it is. Even if you do copy and paste the camo to the correct parts, getting them the same scale is going to be very difficult, since the mapping was done by what seems like taking a snap shot of each view and projecting it onto the model, so there are alot of scaling and stretching. I normally try to fix a lot of the texture stretching that occur but sometimes it just is not possible and you end up with a washed out type of look. (very blurry).

As for numbering, for instance if you want to add numbering to the leg or shoulder, well, the same texture space is used for both parts in order to save texture space for other parts, that is why you end up with the mirror / backward text / image.

2. As for the mirroring of the parts. Well, that is just me being lazy. Normally I clean up the on halve of the model, then just copy and paste it over to the other side and flip them, aka mirror the part. This saves a lot of time not having to do the same part / parts over again. Also you can ask why not remap the parts, well, once again I am lazy. It takes time.

Cleaning of the model refers to fixing the overlapping parts and or cutting parts so they fit into one another.

My apologies once again, well, at least for the copying / mirroring of the parts :) as for camo patterns not fitting, sorry, blame M$

moonwoka
03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank you for answers. Again, i had no intention to blame anyone. Blaar, you being "lazy" create more than me being "productive" :D
I do have superficial understanding how textures work. So i was looking for a way to tweak unfolded parts, rather than demanding Blaar (or Shiftdel, or anyone else) to spend even more of their precious time on every single model. Cfuruti's suggestion to use PDF printer might just work for me.

cfuruti
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
So i was looking for a way to tweak unfolded parts, rather than demanding Blaar (or Shiftdel, or anyone else) to spend even more of their precious time on every single model

My latest mech (MW4 Osiris) required some 2D tweaking, the previous one (Warhammer IIC) quite a lot. The current one? Looks like I'll spend more time with a mouse in hand than a blade...

kjev
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO BE PICKY! Just something I remembered from a while back. On some of the alternate skins on the Fafnir, the textures for the cockpit came out in the wrong spot.

But I'm still grateful for the 'mech!

blaar
03-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Thank you for answers. Again, i had no intention to blame anyone. Blaar, you being "lazy" create more than me being "productive" :D
I do have superficial understanding how textures work. So i was looking for a way to tweak unfolded parts, rather than demanding Blaar (or Shiftdel, or anyone else) to spend even more of their precious time on every single model. Cfuruti's suggestion to use PDF printer might just work for me.

No worries. Please let me know if I can help in any way, if there is something you need I will gladly try and assist.

@kjev

Could you try and re-create the problem you encountered with the Fafnir's cockpit windows and let me know so that I can try and figure out what the problem is. I have made many patterns before I built my Fafnir beta and none of them had any problems. Perhaps one of the alternative skins I made ended up with a odd resolution instead of the usual 512x512.

Thanks

kjev
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Could you try and re-create the problem you encountered with the Fafnir's cockpit windows and let me know so that I can try and figure out what the problem is. I have made many patterns before I built my Fafnir beta and none of them had any problems. Perhaps one of the alternative skins I made ended up with a odd resolution instead of the usual 512x512.

Thanks

Sure. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

IronHawk-711
04-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello, guys. Just want to ask - anybody plans to make a Bushwacker? I say about MW-4 variant?

legion
05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Just calling in that I (finally!) finished the Hellhound:

http://www.tapapercraft.com/wp-content/galleries/mw4-hellhound/dsc03032.jpg
http://www.tapapercraft.com/wp-content/galleries/mw4-hellhound/dsc03033.jpg

Used 200gr/m^2 paper. BAD IDEA, as you can see by the warping and glaring white spots... And it might be a bit faded after it sat on my desk unfinished...
As for the recap: It has 7 joints (arms, torso, hips and knees), is build in roughly 1/80, or half size. And it is one of the best 'Mechs in the Medium class of the game.

rockpaperscissor
05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Nice build. Extreme flexibility with all the tiny joints. Last photo looks like a stepped on spider. Very fine work indeed.

kjev
05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Awesome! I have one going at the moment, but it's being built right from the printer. No joints, nothing fancy. The only customization I did was to make a skin from "Prairie Ghost" camo.

Your 'Hound looks fantastic.