PDA

View Full Version : How to form a cone with "fingers"

Paperwarrior
09-25-2009, 04:44 AM
Greetings,

Can someone give some techniques for forming a cone with "fingers".

I've tried before, but never have had good results. :mad: ...very frustrating when a kit looks good except for this part.

Thank you.

GreMir
09-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Here is my way to deal with parts like that:
1. Separate the end cone from the rest of the part - much easier to work this way.
2. Pre-form the cone so it starts to look like a tube on it's own.
3. Pre-form the petals (fingers) so they start curving towards each other.
4. Unroll the part and form the petals with something ball-shape over the mouse pad - I use metal ball with a handle, but any smooth curved surface should do. This will give you much better look of the cone.
5. Glue together ends of the part - not the petals - and wait until glue is dry and connection secure.
6. Very delicately press the entire part against surface of the desk, petals pointing down, so the ends of the petals meet. Use something to nudge the ends into correct position and then apply tiny bit of glue to hold the ends together.
7. Step away from the desk, grab a cup of coffee/beer or whatever will help you to calm down ;) and wait till you are confident that the glue will hold.
8. Press gently nose of the cone onto the desk surface and help the petals to conform to each other. When you are happy with the result, apply glue to the inside of the cone and hold it in this position untill glue grabs.
9. When everything is dry use something smooth and rounded to adjust the shape of the cone (from the inside).
10. Liberally apply white glue to the inside of the cone - this will strengthen the entire assembly.

Paperwarrior
09-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks tons!! I'll give it a try. I must admit up till now there are a lot of kits I shy away from just because of parts like this.

solo67
09-26-2009, 07:23 AM
there is a tutorial by gil for doing just that here is the link
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tips-tricks/1505-tutorial-technique-assembly-open-petal-designs.html