PDA

View Full Version : Custom punch sets, Need your opinions

jmcdermott
09-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I am fortunate enough to have the tools to make any size punch/die as I need it, but many do not.

Years ago I bought a Waldron set and it didn't take long to break the smallest punches after heavy use. (I built models for a living, so I am not putting down the product)

I also found that several of the hole sizes were never used.

So, here is the idea I currently have:

I can make custom sets based on the sizes that the buyer requested. If you wanted 4 holes, that is what you can order.

Pricing would be $15 for the first size and $5 for each size after that.

ie, a 1/32, 3/64, 1/16, 5/64 set would be $30

A 15 punch set of 1/32, 3/64, 1/16, 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 11/64, 3/16, 13/64, 7/32, 15/64, and 1/4 would be $85.

Please let me know what you think!

All the best,
Jason

rickstef
09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
one small niggle i can think of, you might want to make a metric set, seeing that most of the models coming from Europe are set up with metric measurements

B-Manic
09-26-2009, 07:24 PM
one small niggle i can think of, you might want to make a metric set, seeing that most of the models coming from Europe are set up with metric measurements

I agree metric, would be best for my needs.

like this one from Micro-Mark, its $40 MICRO PUNCH SET (http://www.micromark.com/MICRO-PUNCH-SET,8603.html)
I'd rather buy one from you than some megastore though.

Wyvern
09-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I like the idea of paying for just what you need; I think it would be a successful product.

Wyvern

Amazyah
09-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I too would purchase it.
I have been drooling over the Micro-Mark set for a while but the only thing stopping me from purchasing it is the sizes available.
I think you would do a great service here.
I too would prefer a mm set as well.
Most of the models I have that I want to build are European.
Sounds like a really great idea.
I say, "Go for it!"

Russell

shrike
09-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Add in metric sized options and count me in too

ct ertz
09-26-2009, 11:14 PM
I think its a great idea. Those darn port hols on 1/250 scale ships could finally be tackled!
CT

Bomarc
09-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Metric punches purchased à la Carte?

I'm in!

Mike

lancer525
09-27-2009, 08:49 AM
This sounds like a fantastic idea!
Last night, I was thinking about what kinds of tools I would like to have to facilitate the kinds of models I build, and a set of punches was on the list. Also, as an additional thing, it would be the bestest thing since sliced bread to have a circle template done in metal that could be used as a cutting guide for larger circles. Something along the lines of one of those green Staedtler or RapidDesign templates, like this:

http://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/images/rapiddesign/140R.jpg

That would be a pretty good thing to have as well...

akremedy
09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
This sounds like a fantastic idea!
Also, as an additional thing, it would be the bestest thing since sliced bread to have a circle template done in metal that could be used as a cutting guide for larger circles.

Yes, that and a basic French curve in metal as well.

Metric punches would be great, but in 1/64 increments, would it be close enough? It's equivalent to the difference between "do I cut on-the-line, or inside-the-line" - since I choose randomly anyway, it wouldn't make much difference to me :-)

Math for the Toolbox. SAE to Metric Conversion. (http://www.sosmath.com/tables/sae/sae.html)

One last thought, any chance you could come up with a simple means of dealing with concentric circles? I've forgotten the link, but there is this great (and really expensive) set that deals with punching self-centering concentric circles. It's terribly out of reach for the cost for the average hobbiest.

jmcdermott
09-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, that and a basic French curve in metal as well.

Metric punches would be great, but in 1/64 increments, would it be close enough? It's equivalent to the difference between "do I cut on-the-line, or inside-the-line" - since I choose randomly anyway, it wouldn't make much difference to me :-)

Math for the Toolbox. SAE to Metric Conversion. (http://www.sosmath.com/tables/sae/sae.html)

One last thought, any chance you could come up with a simple means of dealing with concentric circles? I've forgotten the link, but there is this great (and really expensive) set that deals with punching self-centering concentric circles. It's terribly out of reach for the cost for the average hobbiest.

If you could find links, that would be great. I am not really following you on what the tool does.

The sizes I gave were an example. I could do punches of any size SAE or metric.

My only limitations on punch sizes are the milling bits I can find.

Jim Nunn
09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Put me on the list for a metric set 1 to 3 mm in .5mm increments. Any chance you can make hex punch sets?

Jim Nunn

jmcdermott
09-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Well, I am all set except for needing to make a bit order.

the examples in this photo are 1/32 (.79mm). The material on the right is .02 styrene and on the left 150lb card stock.

If you are serious about ordering a set, please pm me with your contact info and a list of punch sizes so I can order materials.

Thanks

akremedy
09-28-2009, 06:52 PM
If you could find links, that would be great. I am not really following you on what the tool does.

The sizes I gave were an example. I could do punches of any size SAE or metric.

My only limitations on punch sizes are the milling bits I can find.

I found that concentric circle punch that I was thinking of: Precision Brand | Products (http://www.precisionbrand.com/ProductsCatalog/PBPCategoryDetails.aspx?Catid=9)

Originally spotted by dell_zantoz here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tips-tricks/3695-punch.html

I gather there would be an awful lot of machining involved, but this is a great concept, especially for the armor builders that are out there.

jmcdermott
09-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I found that concentric circle punch that I was thinking of: Precision Brand | Products (http://www.precisionbrand.com/ProductsCatalog/PBPCategoryDetails.aspx?Catid=9)

Originally spotted by dell_zantoz here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tips-tricks/3695-punch.html

I gather there would be an awful lot of machining involved, but this is a great concept, especially for the armor builders that are out there.

Wow, that's a great tool. I am going to make one for myself in mini size.

It is a good bit of machining, but not terrible considering the small sizes I would use.

Thanks for the links.

Peter Epps
09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
After thinking about it,and taking a good look at my tools, I have punch and die sets that are all ways either too big or too small for paper. As for paper kits metric would be a must have.
I love the idea of custom sets. I need something in between and the option of having it custom order is very cool.
What do you think your turn around time would be?
Peter

jmcdermott
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Peter, 2-3 days turn around if I have materials in stock. I am putting together an order and I think it may be worthwhile to just go metric. That seems to be the common need.

Please let me know what you would like and I will get you on the list.

The lead time could quickly go to a week. I am getting a lot of interest and I have a regular job to contend with. Sat, Sun and Mon are my most productive days if I have a large order to fill.

The orders get filled in the order they are requested. Tuesday and Wednesday do not allow me much time to work because of other commitments.

I can take paypal to secure any order.

Peter Epps
09-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Very cool, I am going to put my needs together and send you an order. How do you want to handle orders. Pay pal is ok by me.
Peter

jmcdermott
09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I am getting a lot of pms for sets and I want to make sure everyone's request are clear.

Please take the time to write down each individual size.

Ie. 1mm, 2mm, 3mm or .5mm, 1mm, 1.5, 2mm etc.

I don't want to send someone a set in 1mm increments when they actually wanted .5mm increments.

When you pm your request, please include your name and address.

Thanks for ordering. I'll be in the shop all weekend.

My email is [email protected]

jmcdermott
10-03-2009, 02:07 PM
To everyone that ordered a punch set this week:

My drill bit order arrived Friday (Oct 3) minus all 2.5 and 4mm bits. They gladly drop shipped the missing items the same day but that doesn't help me much this weekend. I am going to Home Depot this afternoon to see if I can find some but I don't recall ever seeing metric there.

I should have the bits Monday since the vendor is just one state away. I will fill the orders Monday-Tueusday and ship mid week.

Sorry for the delay.

Jason

B-Manic
10-03-2009, 09:01 PM
No problems here Jason. It's hard to miss something I never had. Although, I do look forward to using the device. :)

jmcdermott
10-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Wrapping everything up. Again, sorry for the delay.

It always seems that the shipments you need rather than want are the ones that get lost or have errors.

Thanks again,
Jason

Zathros
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Why would punch sizes be limited by the milling cutters? You could drill extremely accurate holes by making your own half drills (tool size stock milled in half with a drill tip) or using tungsten drills for what ever size for the holes and a lathe to make the punch.

If you are using milling cutters for the holes you could drill the holes the ream the holes to size. The punch could be made on a lathe. I was just wondering.

I have a milling machine and lathe and think you could save a lot of money and shipping charges by turning paper to the different sizes and selling the paper discs. A finished wheel or disc product that just needs to be pained by the builder. Just a thought. Then again, the builder would have to make the outside wheel pattern but it would be a lot easier to glue together a stack of 30 paper discs and cut the printed wheel to it, or peen it over the sides and makes a wheel. Just throwing some ideas out there. I think your offer is extremely generous:) as I know the time it takes to make things, and all the shipping and handling involved.:eek:

jmcdermott
10-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Sure, I could turn any size, but I would be less likely to offer a die and matching punch for 5 bucks.

buy materials, anneal, mill, quench, temper, pack, ship.....

I guess I could open a sweat shop in Indonesia.

I make all kinds of stuff for myself. :D

If someone wanted a set in .1 mm increments, I could certainly do it.

Zathros
10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
:)I don't know where the $5 dollars came from but I would charge that much just to open my shop and let someone look at my tools.

I somehow missed the pictures of what you are offering, which looks like drill stock cut to length and acrylic plates. You may have to open a shop to sell these, just to keep up with the orders. I think they are going to be very very popular. The punches could be easily sharpened also. If it goes crazy in orders, you may want to look up a local high school that offers a machine shop course and have them make some as a class project. Good luck.

jmcdermott
10-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Zathros,

Thanks for the encouragement. I certainly am not going to get rich making these sets, but at least I can keep my lathe turning and offer an affordable option to fellow model makers.

I am turning the punches out of spring steel and then tempering them. The part of the operation that makes it possible to do it cheap is using readily available drill bits to make the die plates. If I had to cut tools and use reamers, I couldn't do it.

I really enjoy turning things on a lathe for some reason. It's like a caveman looking at fire. Sometimes I just throw something in the lathe and make a sci-fi looking gun barrel.

I have a couple of other tools in the works that you may find useful. I am still working on a circle cutter that works.

I need to get back on my fw-190 model. Those .5 mm punches will come in handy to ventilate the mg 131 barrel shrouds. :D

B-Manic
10-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Zathros,

Thanks for the encouragement. I certainly am not going to get rich making these sets, but at least I can keep my lathe turning and offer an affordable option to fellow model makers.

I am turning the punches out of spring steel and then tempering them. The part of the operation that makes it possible to do it cheap is using readily available drill bits to make the die plates. If I had to cut tools and use reamers, I couldn't do it.

I really enjoy turning things on a lathe for some reason. It's like a caveman looking at fire. Sometimes I just throw something in the lathe and make a sci-fi looking gun barrel.

I have a couple of other tools in the works that you may find useful. I am still working on a circle cutter that works.

I need to get back on my fw-190 model. Those .5 mm punches will come in handy to ventilate the mg 131 barrel shrouds. :D

I for one am glad that there are people like you willing to take on a challenge and provide an alternative source of useful tools to fellow modelers. I look forward to your next offering.

Zathros
10-09-2009, 10:39 AM
There are a lot of guys looking for gun barrels, for their ship models I have noticed. Something you might want to consider if you enjoy turning. I got my lathe from an estate in Redding Ct. The gentleman purchased the 9" Southbend Lathe with every possible attachment new in 1939 and only made parts for Brass Trains as a hobby. It is a back gear lathe and is in perfect condition. I even have the 1939 Southbend Book, "How to be a Machinist", that has all the tips used by that generation of machinists, which came with the machine. Sme have suggested that book may be worth more than the lathe.

Are you tempering the steel by immersing in oil after heating? Just curious. My Spinal Cord injurty severly limits what I can do these days with my machines, so when a fellow machinist speaks, I listen and live vicariously.

jmcdermott
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello,

All current orders are out in transit.

I have to take a couple of weeks off from any new orders to move my business to a new location. Anyone who has relocated before knows what a joy moving is...:rolleyes:

Thanks again to everyone. Will be back to modeling in after October.

Jason

B-Manic
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the update jason. Try to enjoy your move.

jmcdermott
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I have solved my issue with the tube rolling tool. Everyone that has ordered a punch set will get a free tube rolling tool in the mail.

I have everyone's addresses, so please be patient. It will be 3-4 weeks before you can expect your tube roller. This little sucker will roll a tight little tube like no ones business.

Thanks,
Jason

B-Manic
10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Bonus - YAHOO! I can't wait. Thanks.

jmcdermott
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I have some ideas for making all the tools I wished I had as a model maker. I don't want to charge a lot for these tools as long as I can work out the logistics.

I am not much of a business man, but I am model maker.

Creative people need tools at a good fair price.

I'll probably make some mistakes, but we'll get it right.

Royaloakmin
10-20-2009, 07:54 AM
You have my support. Ive been looking for decent small punches for years. I have three sets and dislike them all...

jmcdermott
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
The thing about micro punches is that they are going to break at some point.

The way I make the .5 - 1.5 or similar sizes is so economical that I wouldn't hesitate to replace one for someone who broke one. They aren't fancy, but they work.

I wish I could find a good solution to hex punches.

I am looking for someone who will water-jet cut french curves and other shapes out of stainless at a decent price.

lee4752
10-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Try True Value Hardware. The one near me has just about any size you can think of.

lancer525
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Tube rolling tool?

I'd really love to have a list of all the tools you have available or planned, so that we could just pick the tools we'd like to have.... LOL

jmcdermott
10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Lancer, I will gladly share my ideas.

I am almost done moving and have to get a couple of sets finished. (sorry guys)

I am trying to figure out a good circle cutter. It's easy to understand why most circle cutters are junk when you try to design one.

Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with a circle cutter that works. I'll build it if we can design it.

lancer525
11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Just returned from a cruise, so I've got to get caught up!

WRT circle cutters, my biggest issue is that the centering pin reams out the hole in the card stock or chipboard, and the edge wanders as a result. Something like a caliper, with a pin that has some sort of collar that prevents enlargement of the hole. Maybe something that fits into a plate under the stock? I have a cutter, made of plastic, but if it were metal, it would be better. A good knurled set-screw that holds the blade securely would be the biggest advantage with a metal cutter. Also, some sort of fine adjustment would be easier in metal as opposed to plastic.

Cutting circles is the one thing I have the most trouble with, and dislike the most. If it were less tiresome, less tedious, and less problematic it wouldn't be an issue.

jmcdermott
11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I am moved into the new building and have passed all inspections (business license is in my hands)

I have a few orders outstanding and apologize. I had to make this move.

I was offered a chance to get out of my current commercial lease and jumped on it.

So in the spirit of full disclosure, I openly give my appreciation for your patience.

jmcdermott
12-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi there,

I am typing on my phone so I am going to do my best to make an educational post.

I got my karate school moved into the new location and am finally open for business.

I ran into a serious problem that has affected 3 people who ordered punch sets. Here is the skinny:

I moved and and set everything up for business. The fire marshall came and shut me down because I didn't have a commercial dust collector on every tool. They shut the whole place down including my martial arts school. I had the same setup just one county away and there was never any problem.

So, I disconnected everything and arranged the shop tools in the corner with tarps over them. They came back to inspect and failed me again with instructions that I had to move every tool out of my building before I could get passed.

On to my next task, I reloaded all my shop tools back onto a trailer to get them out of the building so I could get the karate school open. They sat in storage while I went back and got set up for final inspection.

I was then told that I might have to double up the drywall on my unit as well as the wall on the empty unit next to to increase the burn time of the fire wall. In addition, I would have to change the hardware on the doors based on occupancy. By the grace of God, I was able to get out of that.

Long story short, I didn't get to work on the 3 orders of those who had sent payment via paypal.

To those 3 guys, I am back working again and will be shipping this week. The paypal payments are still on paypal and I will gladly refund if you wish.

The moral of the story? Don't doubt your local government to find ways to make money during the downtimes. They got me for a bunch.

I still don't have internet hooked up here at the new school so I am clicking away on my phone.

CMDRTED
12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
sounds like dealings from any county in the republik of new jersey, good luck!

lancer525
12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
That old joke about bureaucracy moving at the speed of government is a lie. They can move really fast when there's money to be made from some hapless citizen. I bet you $50 that the idiots who gigged you for the supposed discrepancies in your setup, couldn't set up a business like yours without any references if their lives depend on it. Petty bureaucrats, acting like they're the most important government official in the land, and they stick it to you because you're only a citizen and have no recourse.

Man, I am so pleased that you finally got these issues out of the way, and that you are not so frustrated that you gave up on everything!

Jim Nunn
01-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi there,

I am typing on my phone so I am going to do my best to make an educational post.

I ran into a serious problem that has affected 3 people who ordered punch sets. Here is the skinny:

I am one of the three who as of this date have not received the punch set and Jason has not responded to my emails and private messages or refunded the money as I requested. Would the other members who ordered a punch set and have not received it please contact me via private message, I intend to file a clime with PayPal.

Jim Nunn