PDA

View Full Version : Weekend project-Atlas D

APA-168
10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Needed a bit of a break from all my massive bombers so I got started on this little project. So I am almost done with CAD for the Atlas D rocket which will eventually be released as an Atlas D ICBM, the Mercury-Atlas and the Atlas-Agena. Scale is 1/48. Thought about scaling up existing kits, but really wanted to do the missiles as well and decided it would be faster to design a new kit than detail and convert an existing one. Hopefully I can do the other versions, Atlas C, Atlas F and Atlas-Centaur from this kit as well. Started this at 4 PM, now 9 and I'm getting ready for unfolding. Going to try and get the kit finished over the weekend and released on Monday so I can back to the "big" kits. Think I can do it...? :D

Retired_for_now
10-02-2009, 09:22 PM
This should be good ... don't mind the drooling over all you digital-natives' CAD skills either.

Yogi (pencil and slide rule generation)

wag
10-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I'd love to see a 1/48 mercury-atlas! Waiting anxiously.
Wayne

billy.leliveld
10-03-2009, 07:31 AM
I think you deserve the titel
"Fastest Paper Model Designer in the World" :cool:

APA-168
10-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Update, completed the first page of parts, as well as most of the second page. Should be four or five pages, depending on the amount of framing parts necessary. This will be available for free from ecardmodels once it's done. First version will be the Mercury-Atlas.

APA-168
10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Completed all three pages of parts, sans engine nozzles, now on to instructions. Still hope to have it released tomorrow, but it's getting close...might be delayed a day.

Anyone care to have a go at building it once I'm finished? I'd just like to see how it goes together. I'm building my own copy, but it's going to take me a while to finish.

APA-168
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Finished all the parts sheets, changed my mind, the first version will be the Atlas D ICBM. Having trouble finding references for the Atlas-Agena and Atlas-Centaur...

The model is now up to four pages of parts. Let me know what you think...

Retired_for_now
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Only problem will be digging a hole in the back yard for the silo (F model only) ... and the erector gear. Atlas D/E had to be raised to vertical, fueled, then launched; F had an elevator for the tower to "jack-in-the-box" out of a vertical silo, then launch.

Yogi

Ponytail
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Apa,

Looks great and fairly nice detailed.
Maybe the coloring is a bit light, washed. This can be an issue with certain printers....
Sofar so good. Looking forward for the final result.

BTW, do you already found your testbuilder?

Greetings,
Ponytail.

Finished all the parts sheets, changed my mind, the first version will be the Atlas D ICBM. Having trouble finding references for the Atlas-Agena and Atlas-Centaur...

The model is now up to four pages of parts. Let me know what you think...

APA-168
10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Apa,

Looks great and fairly nice detailed.
Maybe the coloring is a bit light, washed. This can be an issue with certain printers....
Sofar so good. Looking forward for the final result.

BTW, do you already found your testbuilder?

Greetings,
Ponytail.

Thanks for the comments, the colors got somewhat washed out when I converted it to raster, the original vector version prints fine (at least on my printer) but I am aware of that issue and had to play around with it in order to get it right.

Would you like to test build? :)

Ponytail
10-07-2009, 03:15 AM
Hello Apa,

I'm using a Canon Pixma4300 printer and found that this fine machine seems a little week on the grey colors: come out light and washed while the others are truly bright. So at least I could do a test-print.

But also I can do a test-build for you and show the progress here in the Forum. Done this before as you probably know......

Greetings
Ponytail.

Thanks for the comments, the colors got somewhat washed out when I converted it to raster, the original vector version prints fine (at least on my printer) but I am aware of that issue and had to play around with it in order to get it right.

Would you like to test build? :)

APA-168
10-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Hello Apa,

I'm using a Canon Pixma4300 printer and found that this fine machine seems a little week on the grey colors: come out light and washed while the others are truly bright. So at least I could do a test-print.

But also I can do a test-build for you and show the progress here in the Forum. Done this before as you probably know......

Greetings
Ponytail.

PM sent... :)

LAKEDAD
10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Has there been any progress on the "weekend" Atlas project.....or has the "weekend" been lost.

In the early 60's I was involved in the installation of the Atlas ICBM in hard silos in upper NY state area....would like to see a model of this missile.

APA-168
10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Very cool! I will work extra hard to get it finished than! It's being test built at the moment, there were some snags (on my end) with the instructions. Hopefully within a week or two.

Retired_for_now
10-27-2009, 03:10 PM
A very long weekend ...

Yogi (but, they're all weekends to me - for a little while yet)

APA-168
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, a very long weekend, made long by some scaling issues. My builder has been having trouble printing this kit on A4 sheets. Is there anyone willing to try printing it just to make sure it's an issue with the kit and not an issue with his printer?

Really sorry about the delay guys, I want to get this one done ASAP but it's been a real battle.

On a lighter note, does anyone want to build the Atlas-Agena A? I have that one almost ready to go.