PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing, instead of Paper Modeling ?

AndrewO
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Hello Paper Model fans ! I just started another class. UOP POS-427, Windows Networking. I only have 3 to go, until I get my B.S., so I am pretty excited. But, this cuts into my modeling time. And, NaNoWriMo is on the horizon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaNoWriMo Maybe this year I'll be able to make a decent showing. Anyway, I am off to school. Take care and cut and glue when you can ! - Andrew

Jason
10-08-2007, 11:01 PM
While I am not writing a novel at the moment, I will be building a house over the next couple of months. Other then that and the Hobby Factory (http://www.hobbyfactory.com/), and work I have lots of free time to work on models. Oh did I mention I am expecting my first child sometime in November.

Jason

MOS95B
10-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm training for my new job. Which, in and of itself shouldn't be a big deal, but the hours are 3PM to 11:30 which leaves my wiped out for some reason. http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/images/smiles/new_gmorning.gif (javascript:emoticon(':goodmorning:')) Too tired to trust myself with sharp objects, and by the time I do wake up enough, it's time to go to work http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif (javascript:emoticon(':roll:'))

Getting old is the pits.... If I'd have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself....

Gil
10-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Just be happy you're not working a rotating shift. It is the most hateful form of capitalistic slavery ever invented. Swing shifts weren't that bad for me for some reason. Really depends on the person though..,

Things I'm currently working on:

1.) Reviewing Schrodinger's Wave Equations for NVidia GPGPU programming solution as a tool for researching sub-atomic inter-nucleonic resonance structures...,

2.) Writing a report on Alternative Power Technologies, Implications and Effects on a Technically Advanced Society.

3.) Lining up technology players for real time stereo video multicast.

4.) Working out legacy implications of implementing part 10 in MPEG 4 stereo video streaming.

5.) Deciding whether I should learn Modo or Cinema 4D as the next imaging package.

6.) Relaxing by designing a card model of a rather pretty little bird from the 1950's and learning to use Sibelius and Virtual Instruments to write classical music.

7.) Doing the third rewrite of a novel gone to motion picture script now in filming and never seems to get to the end...,

8.) Wondering if Jason is going to carry Fly Models new release of the Avro Lancaster Mk I...,

9.) Several other assorted assundried things that I've most likely forgotten to mention...,

popala
10-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Hello Paper Model fans ! I just started another class. UOP POS-427, Windows Networking. I only have 3 to go, until I get my B.S

I feel your pain Andrew. On top of my full time job I'm also trying to get BS in CS with Math minor. This is my last year and I should be graduating in May. While I am excited about finishing school, I am also hobby-depressed, since in the last 4 years I have built 2 models... I'm sooooo ready to be out of school and back into building!!!

dansls1
10-09-2007, 05:51 AM
I feel so less busy than y'all. I just finished my golf league, so other than normal housework and spending time with my son - I don't have much else going on.

BARX2
10-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Gil, I got tired just from reading your post! :) I had a great schedule when I worked 8-5 and worked on card models after dinner till about 10 pm. Then I changed jobs and now work from 4-midnight. I get up around 9 or 10 am but just don't have the energy to do much building before I have to get ready for work. It will take me a while to get used to this new schedule.

Gharbad
10-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Eh, I'm just doing my school stuff.
Currently in the third year of electrical engineering.
I still have some free time but haven't been doing any models for some reason.

Midterm week, woo!

Gil
10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi Barx,

I have a motto that time is your most precious possession. Be careful how you use it especially for employers who have yet to be enlightened...,

A good way to frame this thought is to think about how you would rate yourself on a performance review;

o Makes good use of time...,

It really depends one's perspective. Being an independent contributor has made me ever more appreciative of this fact and how it is perceived by others as it is very important in modern society.

Card modeling is a pleasant and safe haven from time constraints that allows my neo-cortex to relax and do the type of thing which it is good at namely making sense of it all on a day to day basis..., I suggest you try to squeeze a little modeling time on a daily basis. It will improve the quality of life by allowing a much needed mental adjustment that similar to vitamin tablets needs to be taken on a daily basis. If someone makes a pointed comment about your hobby time just tell them that you read somewhere that it has been found that modeling done on a daily basis has been found to increase one's feeling of well being and has decidedly long term positive effects on an individuals overall health...,

+Gil

wunwinglow
10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Gil, you don't know how much your post rings true....

Here I am, still at work, 10-30pm, cutting masters for a silicone RTV tool which has to poured and cured later tonight, so I can make 150 castings tomorrow, clean them up, wrap them and get them to the courier company by 7pm. In the meantime, the Yamaha has to have an 18k mile service and new brake hoses, and we ought to be stripping down one of the vac-casting machines ready for a service on friday. My boss has just told be that our best client wants to triple his last order, which means the 10 days holiday I am still due will have to be carried over into 2008.

Hobbies? Pah......

Tim

Barry
10-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Sitting here trying to get my brain to work at half it's old capacity thinking it would be nice to turn this pile of tatty files into kits and not much else. I might walk down the garden tomorrow and put a screw in the fastening on the gate only if it's not raining but I will have to find my electric screwdriver first otherwise by the time the screw is in I will have to wait 3 hours while my wrists stop shaking.

I would rather have your problems enjoy them while you can.

Barx you might as well shift your day all together do the modeling before you go to bed and get up later mate.

ps Building card models any time I want ain't a bad life you can be jealous if you like

pps I'm glad my working life is over I could not stand the pace and ambition you all seem to have to have just to survive, friends and a good hobby are better than stacks of money (been there, lost the lot and survived on printing the t shirts)

dustey
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Im a lucky one i guess if you can call it that im disabled and do not work and just turned 40 so other then playing with my 2 dogs atempting to be active an keep the muscles moving,i have lots of time for modeling and scrollworking (my secound hobby) and my all time love of researching anything and everything lol.
missy

Lex
10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
For me I've got a 2 week project recently, but apart from that I'm quite free as a student...

--Otherwise I'm learning Blender and trying to make amaturish games out of it.

Don Boose
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
I've enjoyed this thread, finding out a little more about all of you.

As for me, for the past three years, I was researching and writing a book on Army participation in Korean War amphibious operations (following two years of researching and writing a book for Osprey Publications on the U.S. Army in the Korean War), teaching, copyediting, and doing almost no actual model building.

I sent the amphib manuscript in last July and cut back on the teaching, thus freeing up a little time. Now I am enjoying participating in this forum and am working on easy models (Trotskiy's and Chip's FG airplanes, Y's tanks, the simpler Digital Navy and Model Shipwrights, and so on), trying to regain/improve my hand skills in preparation for some of the projects I really want to do: tentatively, the Modelik GPA (inspired and humbled by Johnny's work), the Gremir Nagatsuki (in 1/200 first, then maybe 1/400 -- inspired and humbled by Bob's work), and some airplanes to be determined.

I've also very much enjoyed doing some amateur sleuthing on USN and RN WWII color schemes inspired by Bob and Barry's work and throwing my two cents worth in on those subjects.

One of these days, I will make a proper introduction, post an avatar, and maybe even post some photos (perhaps as examples of what not to do when building paper models).

For fun, when I'm not model building, I read, watch birds, listen to music, and enjoy spending time with my wife, children, and grandchildren (two of whom are aspiring paper modelers).

Don B.

Darwin
10-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Gil, when I encountered Maxwell's equations, I was too busy wrestling some demons of my own to gelve too deeply into them.....and as far as Schrodinger goes, if you can manage to skin that particular cat, my hat is off to you. Maybe you can come up with a good explanation for tunneling. Would love to see your report on alternative energy technologies....one of the first of the items on my retirement docket is to try writing a book looking at energy alternatives from a system engineering viewpoint.

My time is being spent trying to get my model shop finished so I can manage to join Barry in the ranks of the retired. The way my poor body feels after a day of hard labor, I find myself fully relating to his response.

Sakrison
10-10-2007, 09:35 PM
As for me, for the past three years, I was researching and writing a book on Army participation in Korean War amphibious operations (following two years of researching and writing a book for Osprey Publications on the U.S. Army in the Korean War)
Don B.
Another author! Good show!

I spent two years writing a book on three cutting-edge wildlife conservation projects--trumpeter swans, Siberian cranes, and whooping cranes, from the 1940s through the current ultralight-led crane migrations from WI to FL each fall. (The most recent migration will depart WI within days. You can read the daily field notes at www.operationmigration.org (http://www.operationmigration.org).)

That was published six months ago. Since then, I've been marketing and distributing the book, and trying to re-establish my consulting practice -- copywriting, marketing & PR, corporate training, and writing articles about aviation. I'm also looking for the next book to write.

I haven't done much card modeling over the summer--it's more of a winter sport for me. As the days get shorter and colder here, I'll spend more time at my workbench. I'm seriously considering taking on my first 1/200 battleship kit this winter. And I have to build something for a "Something Red" challenge at the January meeting of the local IPMS chapter--probably a Russian aircraft of some kind. I doubt that I could finish a Russian battleship by then.

I also enjoy photography, reading (mainly history and science), kites, cycling, flying, travel, and learning (with my wife Christal) to be an empty-nester. Oh, and single malt Scotch.

No worries,
--David

Gil
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Darwin,

You need to solve the wave equations in order to understand the energy eigenvalues within the nucleus. It is required to understand quantum harmonics. Tunneling may be closely related to these harmonics a sort of cross section for harmonic absorption...,

+Gil

Golden Bear
10-11-2007, 06:32 AM
ctually Gil's brainwork sounds like fun to me!! I aspire to Barry's place in life. After a six year period of dealing with bad health problems for my wife and a series of incidents (ongoing) with my antique parents I've turned a corner and just don't have the spirit to deal with the nonsense at work anymore. Thank goodness that card modeling has been there to help me through... it is really therapeutic.

Carl

Johnny
10-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Hello guys!

When I'm not building cardmodels......
I work around the clock as an electrical technichian on a big zink producing factory here in my home town.
The job is to keep the factory running and that involves all electrical equipment,high voltage ecquipment such as trafo's,incoming 66kv,steam,oil,watersupply,comressed air supply,0-24v,220v,380v and 660v equipment and machines.
When I'm at work , I'm alone with the responsebility for all the power and
So I'm phoned every time there are a problem.We are 6 guys sharing that job.All working different shifts.As you might have noticed....It's often very quiet at work,so I'm doing some building there also :)

When I'm not at work....and I'm a lot not at work :)
I have the family to take care of....my wife also works around the clock as a nurse,and 3 kids to see off to school.
So when I'm at home I'm doing the usual homework...making breakfast to the kids before they leave for school , doing the shopping,making dinner ready when they come home.I have the house to do the usual maintenance on....of course...and the car....the lawn...man I'm stuffed with work!!

I'm also an avid flyfisher and tries to get out to my lakes here and there as often as I can.Both me and the rest of my family enjoys beeing out in the mountains,so we have a lot of nice trips during the snowfree season from july to the end of october.
During the winterseason I'm also skiing a lot. We have a great ski resort 20mins drive from home.
Thats mostly my life......

Don Boose
10-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Quote: I spent two years writing a book on three cutting-edge wildlife conservation projects--trumpeter swans, Siberian cranes, and whooping cranes, from the 1940s through the current ultralight-led crane migrations from WI to FL each fall. (The most recent migration will depart WI within days. You can read the daily field notes at www.operationmigration.org (http://www.operationmigration.org/).) - Sakrison

David -- I love your website and your book. My connection with cranes is that from 1984-1987 I was Secretary of the UNC Component of the Military Armistice Commission in Korea. The Korean Demilitarized Zone is a stopping off place for Manchurian cranes and our Security Force Battalion at Panmunjom assisted George Archibald in setting up feeding stations and observing and counting the cranes during the migration. Now I do most of my birding at Cape May and in our back yard (fovorite visitor: a pileated woodpecker that eats at our feeder -- and sometimes eats the feeder. Don B.

Ashrunner
10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I spend most of my time (which is a lot of time since I don't work), as a nature photographer. I'll wander the high desert shooting anything and everything. Then it's processing the images at home on the computer, posting them to my website, then fixing my sore feet, back and eyes. 8v)

And when the weather is too gloomy for shooting, I can be found pounding the keyboard on several novels I am working on, including an autobiography tentatively titled, "The Autobiography of an Unknown Solider."

My medical condition makes building card models difficult (prone to sudden fits of shaking - dangerous with an Xacto knife in hand) but I can still do things such as repaint and design, though designing is very slow these days.

Sakrison
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I spend most of my time (which is a lot of time since I don't work), as a nature photographer.

Gathering photos for my book, Chasing the Ghost Birds, I gained a lot of respect for nature photographers. I saw many stunning images--far more than I could use in the book--that put my own bird photos to shame. I've shot thousands of aviation images, including some air-to-air, and won a few minor awards, but the natural world continues to elude my lens. I keep trying.

My hat's off to you, Ashrunner.

--David

Ashrunner
10-12-2007, 10:22 AM
My hat's off to you, Ashrunner.

David

I'm not professional and don't have but one camera and lens, but I know how to use them to the best advantage. I started out shooting anything that flew and branched out to anything living in nature (though plants haven't caught my attention yet), scenic and aircraft. I try to sell my work, but it's hard.

Anyone interested in seeing what I've shot can visit my 800 plus photo site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashrunner/

Good luck with your endevour. I've photographed a few of the still flying warbirds, but I see very few here.

Gharbad
10-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Those are great photos!
What kind of lens are you using for the birds?

I never seem to be able to get close enough for decent shots.

Paperbeam
10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Your shots look professional to me Ashrunner.:cool:

I've taken some outdoor shots myself in the Yukon, etc. but you're definitely a pro IMHO!

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon at: Paper Card Model Ping-Pong Ball Cannon - (eBay item 160167718366 end time Oct-21-07 11:27:53 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160167718366&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006)

N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: paperbeam - virtual paper models (http://www.paperbeam.com)

whulsey
10-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey Ashrunner,

Great sprint car shots. I only live a couple of miles from Manzanita here in Phoenix, but just don't get there enough. Especially like the non-wing cars (wings belong on planes, not race cars). The birds are really nice also, metal and feathered.

As for what I'm doing besides papermodeling, some plastic modeling: 28 Lincoln d-c phaeton currently. Working which takes way too much of my time between it and recuperating from it. Trying to do some more artwork, acrylic and colored pencil. Got a dozen books I need to read and catching up on the magazines.

Ashrunner
10-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Those are great photos!
What kind of lens are you using for the birds?

I never seem to be able to get close enough for decent shots.

Thanks everyone. I am glad you enjoy my photography.

I use a Canon Digital Rebel...the original 6 megapixel camera...and a 70-300mm image stabilized Canon zoom lens. On the camera I have, the image has a 1.6 crop factor which means the imaging chip is seeing a field of view equivalent to a zoom lens of 112-480mm. It helps bring in the birds, but with a close focus of just under five feet, it allows me to get the little guys from a distance rather than having to get closer and scaring them off.

I had a bit of an inspiration on a model I have been designing and will probably get back on the horse with it now that cool weather is setting in. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I will say this: It's not Flintstones related. So, I guess you could say I will soon be giving most of my time to designing instead of photography. 8v)

Gharbad
10-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Just 480mm, really?
Now you gave me hope that non-ridiculous lenses work as well :D
We haven't had much luck with my brother's 500mm, but it is a fully manual film camera and naturally you take less pictures.

Sakrison
10-13-2007, 07:51 PM
David

I'm not professional and don't have but one camera and lens, but I know how to use them to the best advantage.

Yes, you certainly do. Good equipment helps, but in the end, it's the eye (and brain) behind the lens that makes a great photograph. You have some truly stunning images on your Web page! Have you shown them to any local art galleries?

--David

rickstef
10-13-2007, 09:06 PM
well, I have been flexing a different creative muscle as of late.

I have been turning wood
My dad has two lathes, and I get to use one, mostly I have been turning pens, if you care to look at some of what I have done, visit
http://picasaweb.google.com/rickstef/TurnedPensAndOthers

I have been also turning some bowls, but i have no pictures of those yet

Rick

Amazyah
10-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I've been spending all my time lately selling off all the models I will never build, on EBay.
I never realized it would be so much work but it sure is fun and I've met a lot of new modelers too!

You can check out my offerings at www.Cardmodelsnmore.com (http://www.Cardmodelsnmore.com)

Russell

Don Boose
10-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Rick -- Your pens are beautiful. Are the "corncob" barrels really made from corncobs, or is that the name of a type of wood grain, like "burl"? Do you ever do fountain pens? Don B.

Ashrunner
10-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes, you certainly do. Good equipment helps, but in the end, it's the eye (and brain) behind the lens that makes a great photograph. You have some truly stunning images on your Web page! Have you shown them to any local art galleries?

Thanks David. I have been a photog in one way or another for about 40 years now. When the digital cameras came down in price, I began shooting that way. I'll shoot anywhere from two to 20 shots on one subject and upload the best to the webpage. There are times when I like more than one and they too get uploaded. I am constantly updating the site with new images.

The only time galleries have seen any of my shots, was when I took a print in to get framed. I have asked if any would sell my images on consignment, but haven't found one yet willing to do so.

billy.leliveld
10-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, I'm a freelance production-designer/art-director, so I have my own workshop, at this moment I designed a set for a Dutch television program, and starting to build it next week, then there is this 40 year old Citroen HY van sitting in the backyard of the workshop which need some welding...It's next to my 1973 Citroen DS Pallas, which needs also some bodywork..
But building cardboardmodels is realy relaxing..
Cheers, Billy

rickstef
10-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Rick -- Your pens are beautiful. Are the "corncob" barrels really made from corncobs, or is that the name of a type of wood grain, like "burl"? Do you ever do fountain pens? Don B.

Don,

Yes, actual Corn cobs, resin stabilized.

I have not done fountain pens as of yet. but the Europeans and Baron/Navigators do have a fountain pen version, but I have not yet bought the hardware parts of a fountain pen kit, i will look into it in the future.

I am hoping to cut up some Box Elder scraps, which are big enough and contain Burl, hoping that turns into a nice pen.

Rick

MOS95B
10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Wow, Rick. Those are cool!! I've always wished I had accesse to a lathe so I could try my hand at stuff like that!!!