PDA

View Full Version : New York City Paper Model

obscure object films
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I finally uploaded the "Sketch City" promo vid.

Sketch City Promo (http://wp.me/pvHXG-f1)

An elaborate urban paper model set for a story telling web series. I shot it with some pretty fancy lens system ( $500,000 for 1 lens fancy! ) which is a boroscope sepcialy for tabletop shoots ( and then some ). Lots of details on production and post in the article.

Love the hear what you think.

cheers
s

Ron Caudillo
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Wow- That's quite a unique project! I especially like the way you filmed the city, snaking around through the buildings. The models are nicely built with some good details scattered around for interest and diversity. Very effective story telling.

Thanks for sharing!

Retired_for_now
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Whoa - something about reality (as opposed to CGI) has impact. Interesting effects with the video insertions and lens edge curvature. CGI is sterile by comparison since every part of every image is basically intentional (and I'm not sure the software or the practicing artists can cover every nuance). I'm from before the MTV generation so the transitions are a little strong for me, though.

Well done!

Yogi

B-Manic
10-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Very interesting. I enjoyed the videos although some of the effects were a little jarring. A few drinks and some blasting euro-dance and they would be good though. Thanks for sharing.

obscure object films
10-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback. I strongly agree with the sentiment that some extra magic happens when actual objects get captured through glass as opposed to the CGI technique. The kinda strange spining transistion in the vid is me, spinning the "Rotate" ring on the T REX lens. It looks really "chunky" in the vid because of the way the lo-rez encode plays online, but a very unique feature of the lens "Horizon spin".