PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Mk IX

peter taft
10-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi guys. I have decided to build my first diorama. I have a rough idea what i am going to include in the scene, the star of the scene will be the Mk IX Spitfire - JE-J with tail number EN398 has flown by Johnnie Johnson. The kit is one from the ModelArt series (#23) at 1:72 scale. I have some hangar models {wooden type and metal} there will also be a Tower which i have in Camouflage or plain effect. I am trying to get a MOOD to the scene, like a STANDBYE situation, maybe aircrew waiting around on grassed areas, with some refuelling going on. I guess i will PLAY and see what looks nice. Anything you may think of to add along the way, please give input and i will see what i can come up with. So first up is the build of the wonderful Mk IX Spitfire. I hope you enjoy this thread.

silveroxide
10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
At 1/72 scale, there are a couple of air crew figure sets from Airfix that could come in handy. There are a couple of 1/72 jeeps out there that could come in handy as well the Bren carrier, Remember, a model by itself is just a model, but a model in action, tells a story. Good luck and waiting to see the outcome.

Don Boose
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Good start. Looking forward to seeing the diorama. I'll have to go back and read wing Leader.

Don

Bomarc
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Peter, this is going to be great. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

My only suggestions, work in a dog somehow. There always seems to be a base dog running around. And maybe some bicycles, the ground crew's best friend.

Mike

peter taft
10-15-2009, 06:12 AM
At 1/72 scale, there are a couple of air crew figure sets from Airfix that could come in handy. There are a couple of 1/72 jeeps out there that could come in handy as well the Bren carrier, Remember, a model by itself is just a model, but a model in action, tells a story. Good luck and waiting to see the outcome.

Thanks for those suggestions, our friend Gixergs {phil} found some figures of ground crew that he has kindly offered to send me to add to the diorama - and these are the Airfix ones. I have a refuller somewhere which is also Airfix.

Good start. Looking forward to seeing the diorama. I'll have to go back and read wing Leader.

Don

I am looking forward to it as well - never know how this will turn out

Peter, this is going to be great. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

My only suggestions, work in a dog somehow. There always seems to be a base dog running around. And maybe some bicycles, the ground crew's best friend.

Mike

These suggestions are brilliant mate - if it all comes together the scene should be great. I have looked LONGINGLY at some of the TANK based dioramas {paper and plastic mix} and the guys who made them are something special.

Gixergs
10-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Here you go Pete the man himself and the Pooch!. Looking good my Mate I :)will get the figures of to you hopefully before the postal strike:mad:

peter taft
10-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Here you go Pete the man himself and the Pooch!. Looking good my Mate I :)will get the figures of to you hopefully before the postal strike:mad:

Hey... Thanks for the photograph mate, puts me right in the zone for this :) and i will pray the figures beat the postal strike :mad: all the people out of work and still we get strikes, doesn't seem right does it, but i will steer away from that. Thanks again Phil :)

Bomarc
10-15-2009, 06:30 AM
AND....

Not sure how "multi-media" you want to go with this, but Flight Path makes a whole range of WWII airfield accessories in 1/72nd scale:

Flightpath 1/72nd Scale WWII Airfield Accessories Products Page (http://home.clara.net/djparkins/fltpath/fp72_wwii_airfield_acc.htm)

Could be good patterns if you want to sick with paper. If you want to make your own Fordson "N" tow tractor, I have a couple of books on that tractor with some good 3-views illustrations and details (plus photos!) I can email to you.

Mike

Gixergs
10-15-2009, 06:31 AM
I can lend you his book as well if you want,get you right there with him. I have a lot of reference for him if you want ,he had Typhoons in his Wing so I just have a little bit about him:)

peter taft
10-15-2009, 06:51 AM
AND....

Not sure how "multi-media" you want to go with this, but Flight Path makes a whole range of WWII airfield accessories in 1/72nd scale:

Flightpath 1/72nd Scale WWII Airfield Accessories Products Page (http://home.clara.net/djparkins/fltpath/fp72_wwii_airfield_acc.htm)

Could be good patterns if you want to sick with paper. If you want to make your own Fordson "N" tow tractor, I have a couple of books on that tractor with some good 3-views illustrations and details (plus photos!) I can email to you.

Mike

Thanks for the link, some REALLY good items there for sure Mike, will certainly be in mind during this build :)

I can lend you his book as well if you want,get you right there with him. I have a lot of reference for him if you want ,he had Typhoons in his Wing so I just have a little bit about him:)

Phil, you are Mr Typhoon you tinker ;) i am sure that there is very little you don't know about that aircraft {if indeed anything} But please don't entrust your book to the mail service - Rem memory stick :eek: point me in the right directions to the web and i will look - better that, than to have a book lost or ruined, but thanks for the offer my old mate :)

shrike
10-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Deck chairs - the universal fighter accessory

Gixergs
10-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Just Google 2nd TAF plenty of stuff should come up or tell me the sort of thing your looking for,I risked losing the house to buy Chris Shores series of books,still have them hidden from Ashley! so I can provide loads of reference.Wing Commander James Edgar Johnson is his full name wing man to Douglas Bader led the 144 Canadian Wing and was the RAF's(official) highest scorer finished his Carree as Air Vice Marshal passed away in 2005 aged 85, stick any of that in a search engine and you should get something useful

smyfe
10-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Pete, you sneaky so and so, fancy posting a new model while i'm at work:p. She's looking up to your usual high standards:D:eek: and doing the diorama will just about make it perfect. Looking forward to more.
Best wishes
Mick

peter taft
10-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Just Google 2nd TAF plenty of stuff should come up or tell me the sort of thing your looking for,I risked losing the house to buy Chris Shores series of books,still have them hidden from Ashley! so I can provide loads of reference.Wing Commander James Edgar Johnson is his full name wing man to Douglas Bader led the 144 Canadian Wing and was the RAF's(official) highest scorer finished his Carree as Air Vice Marshal passed away in 2005 aged 85, stick any of that in a search engine and you should get something useful

Hiya mate. I did some of that and like you say a plethora of information ;) Thanks. I will let Ash know they're under the floorboards :D you really go for it when you want something mate that's for sure. I did some work to the Spitfire, but have to wait for batteries to recharge then will post the results.

Pete, you sneaky so and so, fancy posting a new model while i'm at work:p. She's looking up to your usual high standards:D:eek: and doing the diorama will just about make it perfect. Looking forward to more.
Best wishes
Mick

Hi Mick... umm and there's the F1 thread i'm working on at the same time :D Glad you like this so far, but a long way to go yet - all fired up with all the excellent ideas the guys have put here for me thus far...:) If i can fit it all in it should look pretty cool :cool: I hope not to let anyone down. More pics later when the batteries have recharged.

rockpaperscissor
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do here. 1/72 is my preferred scale, but my bases are barely big enough to contain the airplane itself. I did include a 55 gal fuel drum with a hand pump in one of my displays, but that hardly qualifies as a diorama. I'll be watching with interest.

CMDRTED
10-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Looking good, some great ideas too, anxious to see how it 's getting along.

peter taft
10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do here. 1/72 is my preferred scale, but my bases are barely big enough to contain the airplane itself. I did include a 55 gal fuel drum with a hand pump in one of my displays, but that hardly qualifies as a diorama. I'll be watching with interest.

I am also looking forward to making this - a diorama is a whole new ball game for me - I just hope i can please you guys. 1:72 scale is just right for this project, so should get quite a lot of details into a small'ish area

Looking good, some great ideas too, anxious to see how it 's getting along.

Thanks friend. :)

peter taft
10-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi guys. Well, i thought i had a few pictures to show the build in the usual fashion, but the memory card seems to have corrupted most of them so i will post what i have got - the Spitfire is now COMPLETE and i can move on to the next stage - The Tower, which i should be able to start building this weekend, there's not many parts to that, so probably a few hours work - a few piccys if the card will allow and post here. Hope you like the Spitfire guys. :)

Gixergs
10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Pete looking really good,Johnny would be proud in fact here's the man himself again finishing of a pork pie in your honour.Nice job Mate very nice job.:)

peter taft
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Pete looking really good,Johnny would be proud in fact here's the man himself again finishing of a pork pie in your honour.Nice job Mate very nice job.:)

Hey, thanks Phil really pleased you like her and thanks again for those kind words. I can have some great fun with all the rest to come ;)

Bomarc
10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Johnny would be proud ...

Hell yes he would. That looks every bit a MkIX Spit to me.

Well done sir.

Mike

whulsey
10-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Looking good, I read his biography when I was in high school. The Model N Fordson tractor referenced really perked my interest being the "All Things Ford" man that I am. Saw a cut down one with small wheels and tires and these massive fender/running boards that was used by the USN in WW2 at the Estrella Warbirds Museum over the summer.

Gixergs
10-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Here's a picture for you Pete to get you in the moment. The Brit air show goers should recognise the one and only MH434 Ray Hanna's mount of many years before he received a different pair of wings.

Gixergs
10-24-2009, 06:30 AM
And if you want a more unusual vehicle for your diorama then how about this.. A 2nd TAF Mobile Church made using a Dakota fuselage.

peter taft
10-24-2009, 06:38 AM
And if you want a more unusual vehicle for your diorama then how about this.. A 2nd TAF Mobile Church made using a Dakota fuselage.

Hey hey... now that is most certainly unusual :eek: , brilliant picture mate and thanks for the one above too :)

peter taft
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Meanwhile.... You may think i forgot about this Diorama, NO ! i have made a start on a Tower and when completed i have a hangar to build too. Pictures will follow as soon as possible guys. Also waiting for some other parts, so don't give up on me - well at least not just yet :D

Bomarc
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Meanwhile.... You may think i forgot about this Diorama, NO ! i have made a start on a Tower....

And to this I shout YAAAAAAY!!!

Glad to see this is still on your radar screen Peter....

....so don't give up on me....

Never!

Mike

sjsquirrel
01-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Peter,

I keep wondering, and so I have to ask - where is this "RAMBLINGS OF PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO GROW UP THREAD". I'd like to read those ramblings sometime, and maybe I have to join, cause, ya know, I don't wanna grow up :D.

Steve

peter taft
01-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Hey Peter,

I keep wondering, and so I have to ask - where is this "RAMBLINGS OF PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO GROW UP THREAD". I'd like to read those ramblings sometime, and maybe I have to join, cause, ya know, I don't wanna grow up :D.

Steve

Here you go my friend :

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/3570-stingray-fandersons.html#post49042

Tis a very big thread with lots of stuff in there. Hope you enjoy your read and the models too. I liked it so much - hence the "RAMBLINGS OF PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO GROW UP THREAD" and several of us really do REFUSE to GROW UP :D and why not... :rolleyes:

Wyvern
01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey Pete- the Airfix Bristol Bloodhound kit actually contains a dog and handler in 1:72. And there's always Preiser; they have lots of HO scale dogs.

Lovely Spit, by the way.

Wyvern

peter taft
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
This is where i was at prior the Data loss.. More up-dates soon guys :)

Don Boose
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for reposting the images, Peter.

Don

peter taft
02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi guys. Well, whilst i wait for the Short Stirling to become available, i made this B-26 Marauder which is also part of the diorama. Had a problem when printing as you can see the rear section of the fuselage is a slightly different shade to the rest, but i let it go as is, because her only roll will be an appearance in the scene. Upgraded the wheels to the better disk stacks and sanding method. She was nice to build - Free, and available here : Stahlhart Papercraft – Paper Models of Aircraft, Buildings and Figures (http://www.hoxity.de/papercraft/marauder_main.html)
Hope you like her.

Gixergs
02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice job Matey!!!

peter taft
02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Nice job Matey!!!

Thank you my friend - can't wait for the other bits to get the diorama finished, but hey... who's rushing ;)

Bomarc
02-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Hope you like her.

Well I like her Peter, very much so (don't tell the wife).

Great build. Your dio is 1/72nd yes? So you had to do an elargment of the original Stahlhart model?

The dio's really starting to come together!

Mike

Sidewinder81777
02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Im pretty sure the stahlhart b26 is in 1:60 if printed at full size

peter taft
02-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Well I like her Peter, very much so (don't tell the wife).

Great build. Your dio is 1/72nd yes? So you had to do an elargment of the original Stahlhart model?

The dio's really starting to come together!

Mike

Hi guys. Pleased you like her, and yes you are both right, the original model is 1:60 re-scaled to 1:72 . If all goes to the plan in my head, she will be heading for disaster in one of the shots of the Diorama :eek: I don't want to use CG's to get special FX, so.... if she's making an emergency landing :rolleyes: hey.... i'm giving the plot away :D

Bomarc
02-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Of course! So Peter hit it with the shrink ray. I downloaded all those puppies, but for some reason I thought they were smaller that 1/72nd scale.

Mike

birder
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Nice aircraft Peter! Looking forward to see what you have planned for them!

peter taft
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice aircraft Peter! Looking forward to see what you have planned for them!

Pleased you like her... :) When i have all the items required, it will be a SHOOT to remember, at least i hope it goes that way :confused: ;)

peter taft
04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Ok.... the skin problem has dried but not gone completely {but much better} I am going to make a late Easter present for my wife Cheryl - an F14 Tomcat { i will post that when complete} it's one of her favourite aircraft, and i promised i would make her this a while a go....:rolleyes: then i will be on to Gary's DH Mosquito which is going to be a part of this diorama. Stay tuned :D

Ron40
06-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Peter,
Looking forward to your diorama. The models are
nicely done. Ron

Swampfox
06-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Meanwhile.... You may think i forgot about this Diorama, NO ! i have made a start on a Tower and when completed i have a hangar to build too. Pictures will follow as soon as possible guys. Also waiting for some other parts, so don't give up on me - well at least not just yet :D

I really like your diorama idea and it looks like its coming out really nice. Mind if I ask where you got the tower and hanger from? Are they scratch build or are they available for purchase somewhere/

Thanks,
Swampfox

Gixergs
06-12-2010, 11:05 AM
They are free and came from here Downloads (http://kampfgruppe144.com/downloads_All_00.htm) Pete just resized them.

Swampfox
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
They are free and came from here Downloads (http://kampfgruppe144.com/downloads_All_00.htm) Pete just resized them.

Thanks for the link, I just downloaded several of them.

SFX

ultra
06-12-2010, 02:45 PM
keep going man

looking forward to seeing your diorama

ultra stone

peter taft
06-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I really like your diorama idea and it looks like its coming out really nice. Mind if I ask where you got the tower and hanger from? Are they scratch build or are they available for purchase somewhere/

Thanks,
Swampfox

Cheers mate - although this dio is still in the TO DO stage, got plenty of bits for it, but other things in the list keep shouting at me to be built... but this will happen EVENTUALLY :) Here's the link you need for the Tower and hanger
Downloads (http://kampfgruppe144.com/Downloads_All_00.htm) Have fun :D

If only i had looked further up the thread i would have seen that our Phil gave you the link already - oh well Cest lavie, and thanks Phil for helping.

Gixergs
06-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Already past the link on me old mate,didn't think you would still have it.Looks like you're going to have to get back to this by popular demand.I know I would like to see it.

peter taft
06-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Already past the link on me old mate,didn't think you would still have it.Looks like you're going to have to get back to this by popular demand.I know I would like to see it.

Ummm, well.. when i have finished building the L.E.M i will TRY and get back to this, but there's the 66 for the other dio - and the actual Lunar dio {i am making the 1:48 CM/SM } for that :rolleyes: I have a few things there, but hey.... i will give you a dio to remember WITHOUT CG's - so.... if it looks like something's on fire - then it actually is, ermmmm ON FIRE :D

Gixergs
06-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Actualy on fire,yeah I get frustrated with my kits too!.I think there will be a few 66's built when Gary's done.

peter taft
06-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Actualy on fire,yeah I get frustrated with my kits too!.I think there will be a few ^^'s built when Gary's done.

Hee hee... now you know that aint true. Just to show i am actually doing something, i just took these pictures to show. The Saturn V and L.U.T is one of the nice models created by WEEVIKES - the L.E.M {unfinished due to skin problem flaring up again} but can't remember her designer.... i am looking for some Gold foil to enhance her like the other one built here on PM.COM... you will have to forgive me but i forgot who that is :( NO i still haven't fixed the camera yet :rolleyes: well there you go... plenty on the go at the mo :D

Gixergs
06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Very nice my friend,for the gold foil you can always start eating Caramac's!.

peter taft
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Very nice my friend,for the gold foil you can always start eating Caramac's!.

Gooooooood idea Sir, i will enjoy eating and building, once the bloody skin dries up again... tis very sore and holes like craters to boot :( Cest lavie :rolleyes: