PDA

View Full Version : "Rare & Unusual Paint Schemes" MustangSeries

airdave
10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
My new set of kits...
"Rare & Unusual Paint Schemes"
focusing on the P-51 Mustang (for now)

Issue One is "Evalina" a Japanese captured and reliveried Mustang (WW2)

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/675/medium/Rare_P-51_Paint_cover_page.jpg

Once again, using a combination of historical photos and artists recreations...
and I have also added a fair bit of weathering detail
as well as some other photo realistic details.
This kit also includes new landing gear wheel-well detail parts for building with gear down.

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/676/medium/Rare_P-51_Paint_wheel_well_detail.jpg

Shes ready for a test build while I prepare Issue Two...a Luftwaffe captured Mustang!

Keep watching for more updates!

3Turner
10-14-2009, 06:34 PM
That looks great...and at 1:33, nice.

airdave
10-14-2009, 07:12 PM
anyone wanna do the test build?
The kit is all ready to go into the shop,
and I want to get working on the next
so if anyone has time right now for a quick build...let me know.

I don't actually need a build thread, so that's up to you...
but I definately want some pics (of the completed model) for the shop.

Phil
10-14-2009, 07:30 PM
VERY nice work my friend!!!

airdave
10-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Issue Two in this Series is also ready for BetaBuild and Store release.
(If anyone is interested in doing the test build for this one too, let me know)

Issue Two is the P-51B Kennueng T9+HK of the "Rosarius Circus"

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/675/Luft_Mustang_cover_page.jpg

as usual, all my fancy weathering and "photorealistic" details.
There are limited photographic references to these "rare" planes, and decal and artist renditions don't always match up to the historical photos...but I have done my best to recreate accurate markings and colour schemes.

Heres a couple of sample pages from the kit...

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/676/luft_mustang_sample_pages.jpg

member_3
10-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, Dave - why do you need a beta build? Wasn't the repaint design proven in the build of the 'Red Tail" repaints?

airdave
10-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Beta Builds for two main reasons:

First to check the alignment (and look) of all the new artwork elements in the repaint.
Second is to gather some display photos for the shop.

I'm not too worried about the model construction, but the repaint means completely new issues regarding part alignment...making sure all new graphics and markings are positioned correctly.

Chris prefers (understandably) photos of the actual model for the shop and we can only get those from a first build.

And lets face it...the test build is a good way to promote the new item going up for sale...and if a build thread is included, it serves as an Instructional thread for future builds, as well as visual entertainment for us modelers.

...and just in case I missed something!

member_3
10-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, if you don't need it before the convention (23-25 Oct) I'll be happy to give one a go just to clear my mind of bent-wing syndrome brought on by the F2G test build. I have no preference as to the capturing nationality...

airdave
10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Ron...lets see if theres anyone who is looking for something to build right away...and if not, you are welcome to take your pick!

I had a request to build one of the models (or more) at 1/144 scale.
I personally think the builder is crazy! lol
...but I would love to see it reduced that small!
(and I may just give him the model to give it a try!)

However, it might not serve my purpose here as a "test" build.

Reducing the model that much could hide any fit or alignment issues
and I am also concerned about the quality reduction of the repaint artwork and markings.
Not to mention the fact that I need photos of the completed model for the shop, and I am concerned that the model will not photograph the same as a 1/33 scale version.

So, for the purposes of the "test" builds...I'd like the model built at 1/33 scale, with landing gear down (using the new wheel well inserts).
Any takers?

airdave
10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, looks like Ron (Old Troll) will take a crack at the "Evalina" Mustang for me!

I'm still looking for a test build of the Luftwaffe captured plane...
anyone?
anyone?

bueller?
beuller?

ringmaster
10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Germans measured and evaluated several captured P-51's. It drove their best engineers nuts. Test pilots had no trouble flying 30 mph faster than the engineers said the should. They never did catch on to the ram jet.

cgutzmer
10-17-2009, 07:48 PM
sweet - got the two rons doing beta's ;)
Chris

member_3
10-17-2009, 07:52 PM
When you want a "betta" beta - get Ron...or Ron...or Ron...

airdave
10-17-2009, 10:04 PM
yay! we have a test builder for the Luftwaffe captured Mustang...
B-Manic (Douglas) will be handling that one for me.

Thanks guys!
looking forward to pleasant builds I hope...and since i don't have time right now to try to build these myself, I am looking forward to seeing the end result!

These "repaints/redesigns" turned out to be a lot more work than I had originally imagined, but I have to admit, a lot more fun!
Between the challenge and the research...hopefully you will enjoy Issue #3, which is almost ready for release (in the new week)!!

member_3
10-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Looks like the pre-capture version of "Evalina" ought to be a quick and easy repaint - just restore the national markings...

rickstef
10-17-2009, 10:51 PM
quick question/hijack.

there was posted a couple of days ago, a site which had all kinds of different paintings of WWII aircraft, Allied and Axis.

does anyone know or remember what I am trying to describe or remember?

3Turner
10-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Is it....
WINGS PALETTE

rickstef
10-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Robert, thanks, but i knew about that one

this site I am looking for was posted in the last couple of days
the site had some Dutch Air Force planes, and I want to get back to that site for some of the pictures of those planes

3Turner
10-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Ah okay. I must've missed that website link.

airdave
10-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Looks like the pre-capture version of "Evalina" ought to be a quick and easy repaint - just restore the national markings...

are you suggesting you would like to see the Evalina in its original glory?
(I can add that idea to my list of future repaints)

any other ideas for "rare/unusual" paint schemes?
primarily Mustang P-51 A, B or C at the moment
(and then maybe some other aircraft for Series Two)

member_3
10-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Yes, that was what I was suggesting... :)

ringmaster
10-18-2009, 10:53 AM
How about an interned Swiss P-51 ?

airdave
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
How about an interned Swiss P-51 ?

ooh post a pic (or link to info)

member_3
10-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Here's a start Wings (http://www.wings.de.ms/)

airdave
10-18-2009, 02:05 PM
If I read correctly, is that just one P51-B delivered to the Swiss AF in 1944?

And then of course they get lots of P51-Ds in 1947

and the paint scheme is very cool.

OK! its at the top of the list for Issue 4...
any others?

member_3
10-18-2009, 03:09 PM
The P-51B was "delivered" unintentionally in 1944 (emergency landing?) and was interned until the war was over whereupon it was returned to the USAAF. The performance of the aircraft impressed the Swiss (who had tested it while in their custody) and this greatly influenced the decision to acquire surplus USAAF P-51Ds after the war.

ringmaster
10-18-2009, 05:19 PM
They also had at least one interned Me 109, but somebody has that out already.1/50 Me-109E-3 (Emil) by Marek Classics - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for (http://ecardmodels.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=57&products_id=727&osCsid=46de8cd50b0ffd50abef838dd17bd313)

airdave
10-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Test builds of Issue One (P-51C Evalina) and Issue Two (Luftwaffe T9-HK) are underway!

Once I get some completed Photos for the Shop (at ecardmodels.com)
the Planes will be available!

In the meantime, here we go with Issue No. 3 !!!!

I have been preparing this one for a while,
and to make it right, I needed to make a few alterations to the base model...and here it is:

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/678/dazzle_cover_display.jpg

This "Disruptive Camouflage" P-51A includes:
-a complete "Dazzle" repaint,
-P-51 "A" fuselage remodeling (lower cowl, belly intake and upper cowl intake)
-3 Blade Propellor
-20mm Wing Cannons
-optional Wheel Well inserts
-weathering textures

Heres a sample of one of the pages:

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/678/dazzle_page_3_sample.jpg

Because of the fuselage modifications, I have already done two limited test builds...of the main fuselage sections.
As a result, I don't need a "test build" for the graphics or artwork alignment.
So this plane is ready to go in the Shop now!

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/678/dazzle_test.jpg

BUT! I do need some completed build photos for the shop.

So...if anyone is interested in a very fast build (less than week?) I will give you the first copy for free!
...in return I need a quick (but proper) build and a set of display photos to use in the ecardmodels shop!
For this build, the landing gear is not a necessity...it would be your choice to include that in the build or not.

Anyone interested? PM me!

airdave
10-22-2009, 09:16 AM
oh yes.....Issue Four is ready for release too!!

but that one is still a secret (shhh!)

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/secret_issue_four.jpg

cMags
10-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Nice work on the Dazzle! I was wondering what issue that would appear in. :D

I'd offer to build but I'm actually near the top of the running in the DGA comp and I wanna stay on top of it. I'm sure someone will jump on the opportunity for this great model at the perfect price!

Texman
10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Can't wait to show this one to the model club! But of course, mine won't be the proper scale.. ;) Hope it's in the store soon so I can get started!

airdave
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
What? no one wants a free "Dazzle" Mustang?...I'm surprised.

You know this just delays the release of Issue Four in the Series, don't you?

rickstef
10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
you know, i was the first one to suggest the Dazzle camo in a prior thread, if you can wait until next week til i start, i will gladly take it

Rick

airdave
10-23-2009, 09:51 PM
you know, i was the first one to suggest the Dazzle camo in a prior thread, if you can wait until next week til i start, i will gladly take it

Rick

thats funny, I was trying to remember who had first put up the picture (in one of our older threads)!...

sure Rick, its yours if you want it.
I'll send you a DL link shortly.

airdave
10-28-2009, 12:21 PM
well, hopefully the test/beta builds are progressing okay?

haven't heard anything further on Evalina
or P-51B Kennueng T9+HK yet...

and I believe Rick will be working on the Dazzle Mustang this week.

if anyone is interested in test building Issue Four it is ready,
let me know...

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/675/swiss_cover_display.jpg

No real concerns other than the need for some nice photos for the ecardmodels Store...
so, if you would like a free kit and can give me a speedy build with some display photos, then its yours!
And...once again, a build thread is not requested, but is optional if you would like to do it.

rickstef
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes I hope to have the bird printed by tomorrow evening or friday, if I don't forget the pack of paper

member_3
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I got to work on Evalina after return from the convention as promised. Lamination done, formers are cut. Had to take a break for some routine old troll medical stuff but should be clear-headed by tomorrow and back to work on it.

B-Manic
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
The P-51B Kennueng is coming along well. I'm pretty much finished with the fuselage and have started the wings . A couple of minor things have come up with the canopy and exhaust pipes. The tail section mated perfectly with the rest of the fuselage with no alignment problems. I will post updates here http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/5834-luftwaffe-captured-mustang-repaint-p-51b-kennueng-t9-hk-rosar.html on Friday or Saturday. I'm pretty busy at work and have to attend a Mess Dinner tomorrow so time is in short supply.

~ Douglas

airdave
11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
This is the promised Announcement regarding updates to to P-51 Mustang Models (Repaints)

as many already know, discussions in another thread, have led me to make a number of changes to my repainted Mustang kits.
This includes all my P-51 repaints:
Ina The Macon belle (Tuskegee Mustang)
Tuskegee Mustang Variant Packs 1, 2 and 3
Rare & Unusual (Mustangs) Series 1

All Mustangs have received a modification to the Wings that includes:
- removal of an "extra" Landing headlight
- inclusion of the correct under wing "Identity" Lights
- some aircraft have also received modifications to Insignia

The "Dazzle" Mustang (Disruptive Camo version) in the rare & Unusual Mustang series has received the most modifications
(due to the finding of more reference photos and information applicable to this aircraft)
The modifications to the (repaint) kit are:
- a total redesign of the underside Disruptive camouflage paint scheme (to better match the actual historic photographs of this aircraft).
- alteration of the wing insignia, accurate to the aircraft.
- modification of the wing "Landing Lights"
- inclusion of additional wing lighting, accurate to this aircraft.

I apologize to any and all who have already purchased any of these kits through ecardmodels,
but please keep in mind that the goal is to provide you with the best kits(repaints) I can
and I will always endeavor to produce the best kit I can
and if that means making changes to existing repaints, thats what I will do!

The Dazzle Mustang and Ina Macon Belle Kits are on their way to ecardmodels as I am writing this!!
and...the remaining Mustang revisions will be available very soon!

Please contact Chris at ecardmodels and arrange to download the applicable replacement kit(s) as applies to your past purchases.
In other words...if you already got one, throw it away and ask Chris for the updated version!

member_3
11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Many thanks, Dave! If all designers were as responsive as you there would a lot more "perfect" models out there. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors (and I'll be in line at eCardmodels when you release the next group!)