PDA

View Full Version : Christ Church New Zealand

tazman3
10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
From Canon Papercraft...

ChristChurch Cathedral, New Zealand - Asia / Oceania - Architecture - Paper CraftCanon CREATIVE PARK (http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3152/christchurch/index.html)

Parts, and more parts...lol...

tazman3
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Pretty quick work starting out, here is two nights work...that is a lot for me...:D

Ron Caudillo
10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Looking good Taz! You really have a lot done in such a short time.

I can just see all of your kids gathered around checking out the progress! Train 'em early!

The best part about showing kids is that there are no glue fumes!

Best Regards,

mark
10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Wonderful work!
I grew up in Christchurch and have many memories of "The Square" (it's actually a cross). I'll have to see if I can get a Red Bus to place in front. I've downloaded the file and have it on my list.
Looking forward to seeing your completed model.

tazman3
10-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh wow...how awesome it is that you have actually attended there! What a nice connection. I tried to find an overhead shot of the current ground of the church...the whole thing, but was unsuccessful. I was thinking I would try to get the trees close to correct, and use maybe some HO scale trees, or some other scale. They have ones that look so realistic now.

If you happen to have any overhead shots, please share them. Thanks!!
I understand the name issue now, it is ChristChurch Cathedral. At least the name is correct on the model...sorry!

Edit: RonC: Yeah, Miranda hovers mostly...Caitlyn has little interest, unless i'm making something for her...LOL...But I did do a model of the shakespeare theater for a school project...she was into that one at least.

tazman3
10-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Some more progress...the main spire has begun, it has a lot of detail...it will be nice to see how it turns out.

cdavenport
10-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Taz, have you tried Google Earth? That's how I got an overhead shot of my Notre Dame Cathedral.

cdavenport
10-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Here's the overhead view. Measure some prominent feature on the model, such as the length of the two wings and tell me what it is to the nearest .1"

christchurch nz - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=christchurch+nz&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Christchurch,+New+Zealand&gl=us&ei=aQzhSsvtE9WM8AaDzNWuDQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CA8Q8gEwAA)

cdavenport
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
This view allows you to accurately model the trees. See my build thread on Notre Dame on how to build your own.

The Canon models are "box scale" which means that each model is designed to fit a certain number of sheets regardless of scale. As I type this, I am researching the actual dimensions of the building. Once I find them and compare them to your model dimensions, I can calculate the scale for you.

christchurch nz - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=christchurch+nz&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Christchurch,+New+Zealand&gl=us&ei=aQzhSsvtE9WM8AaDzNWuDQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CA8Q8gEwAA)

cdavenport
10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Ok, I found the reference point. Measure from the base of the cathedral to the top of the central spire. The actual measurement is 63 meters.

If you don't know how to do the scale calculation, I am pleased to assist.

On my ND, I replaced the windows with printed acetate. I just copied a bunch of stained glass window profiles from the net and sized them to my model. I still have those image files if you want them.

Once you know the scale, you'll know if a standard railroad scale will work for you.

tazman3
10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
I appreciate that...looks like there are two "groves" of trees...so it seems it might be a little more involved than I'm ready for. I loved your idea for the windows, and I thought about that for this one, but decided against it. I do think I'll do it for St. Peter's Basilica, which is my next project.

No trees there I don't think, but thanks for the Google earth idea, that works stupendously!

tazman3
12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, believe it or not, I've still been workiing on this one. My daughter spilled water on a bunch of parts I had cut out...so that was part of my delay...plus christmas decos and such slowed me. And finally I was just like...man, I don't have time to take pics, I just got to get this thing done! So I'm getting there, and I'll post pics when I finish the building proper. Sorry for the big delay!