PDA

View Full Version : CSS Charleston-1/250 scale

ct ertz
10-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Hot on the heels of my Missouri I have read for a test build the CSS Charleston. This was a 200 foot long ironclad that served as the flagship of the Charleston fleet. Similar to the CSS Virginia II, the Charleston had a larger casement and carried six cannon. Only making 5 knots do to her underpowered engine, the Charleston severed until the evacuation of Charleston by the Confederates, when she was burned to prevent capture.

This model has three pages of parts and two diagram pages. It is a waterline model and has a removable casement option with a basic intirior of guns and deck fittings. The scale is 1/250.

Is there anyone who would like to try it, I need pictures of a completd model. Doing the full intirior would be nice but not nessessary. Any takes should PM me! Thanks,
CT

ct ertz
10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Here is a copy of page one parts before text is added. I went with a gray weathered wood tone for the fore and aft decks. Notice to how the broadside guns are off set slightly to give working room. The Charleston had six guns, two pivots and four broad side. I put the boats on the stern but i will leve an option to put them on the casement as wll, as I am unsure which way the went. Is anyone interested in a test build for me? Just PM me.:)

CT.

ct ertz
10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
My CSS Charleston is now ready for a test build. It has optional inside parts or can be built with out them. It appears to be a good looking ship, I hope some one will take this on. just PM me with your email if you want to test build and I will send the pdf off to you.

CT

ct ertz
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Hopefully we have pictures soon. the work is continuing...

Wyvern
11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Well, you know I'll take a shot at it, though you might not see it finished for 6 weeks! I'll build anything you design.
Wyvern

ct ertz
11-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Hello,
Royaloakmin was kind enough to start a build and give me a lot of feed back. I have been busy adding forgotten parts and updating the model files, and I hope to have another model available at Ecardmodels.com (http://www.ecardmodels.com) soon! Here are a couple of pics from his build.

30-06
11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
CT- Awesome Subject! Great choice on the wood!
Gregor

ct ertz
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww277/ctertz/CSSCharelstonparts5.jpg

Things are coming along. Here is my combined diagrams. Still learning on Gimp a bit more everyday.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww277/ctertz/CSSCharelstonparts6.jpg

I am also overhauling the deck and adding placement marks for deck fixtures. I have also been busy adding more construction notes as well...

Royaloakmin
11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I have been giving Corey lots of feedback...and he is still smiling! He also has lots of pictures to post. His graphics are very nice. This will be an excellent addition to his line of kits.

ct ertz
11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I have a number of models in the pre-release form, and as I get more feed back I have been cross checking to see if I have updated the other models as well with these great ideas. Here are some more of Royaloakmin's great build.

ct ertz
11-26-2009, 06:15 PM
OK, Fred has been hard at work. Here are some of his pictures. Picture on shows the stack and stack great. I have noted on the current draft of the model that the stack great should be tripled for thickness. I Have also included a steam pipe as well, although Fred's scratch built one looks great!

Picture two shows the layout of the casemate. I like the idea of doing the gun port stopper detail first, silly me, I always added the things after the model was built! Live and learn.

Picture three shows how he is rolling the gun tubes on 1mm wire. Great job.

Picture four shows the gun tubes and the davits.

Picture five shows the anchor parts.

CT

ct ertz
11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Picture six and seven shows Fred's continuing progress.

Picture eight is an optical illusion(?) Are you really making that chain?:eek:

Nine and 10 show the anchors off well!

ct ertz
11-26-2009, 06:21 PM
And more!

I love the gun deck. I think I need to add a wench and deck hatches to the model though.

Great job Fred!

CT

Darwin
11-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I would think the crew might greatly appreciate having a wench aboard....might even make them overlook the aches and pains incurred by not having a winch when they need one......

ct ertz
11-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Its the wine! My fingers feel it first.

CT

ct ertz
11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
OK, got the final draft done with many corrections in place. here are some pictures of Fred's finished build!

Royaloakmin
11-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Corey has done a fine job with Charlie, and she is worth picking up once she is available. A fun quick build, and the only parts I added are the railings and ladders, from GPM. Congratulations, Corey!

ct ertz
11-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks Fred, you made my relatively simple design look great! After I implemented the final changes you suggested, I put it off to Chris this morning. It should be up soon!

CT