PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Head to Head Build; Modelperry vs KCStephens

rickstef
10-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi All,

Here is your chance to influence a build for two of the most respected Armor builders we have here on papermodelers.com

Kevin Stephens and Greg Perry.

The 3 kits you can choose from are the:

GPM M-25 Dragon Wagon
http://www.model-hobby.pl/products/M25_Dragon-Wagon_GPM.jpg

Or

The GPM M-4 Sherman Tank
http://www.moduni.de/picture/250/6/1/3/0/6130188.jpg

Or

The Modelik SS-1C SCUD B + MAZ-543
http://papel3d.com/tienda/images/mod_0089.jpg

So you know, in spirit of full disclosure, Kevin has some what of a head start on the hull of the Sherman.

Rick

member_3
10-25-2009, 09:49 PM
My vote is for the SCUD!

KCStephens
10-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Rick for starting us off...So without further ado let the voting begin.

redhorse
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
SKUD, that's a great looking kit!!

RyanShort
10-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I voted for the Sherman - it has tracks! :D

Ryan

rickstef
10-25-2009, 10:05 PM
The scud has individual lugs on the tires :D:eek::cool:;)

John Bowden
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Well since I'm not an Armor guy...... but doesn't the Dragon Wagon picture have a Sherman on it?

So I guess it doesn't come with the Sherman............. I think the SCUD toter would be nice to see.............. and then maybe a same scaled A-10:p

Moshe
10-26-2009, 12:35 AM
The scud has individual lugs on the tires :D:eek::cool:;)

Yes, a million of them. It'll be easier and faster to carve the tires in wood :D
I voted for this one, because I have this kit at the bottom of the to-do list, so until I get there, at least I'll enjoy watching it come to life.

modelperry
10-26-2009, 04:53 AM
I see the Scud is in the lead as of the date of my post. This is fine with me although I voted for the Sherman for the following reasons:

I think its more accessible and since one of my thoughts was to open this up to other potential convention attendees for participation, I thought the Sherman would be a better first choice.
This would be a first of its kind competition for the convention and as such is kind of a trial run type of thing.
In theory, the victor could choose the Dragon Wagon for the following year's competition to haul said Sherman around.
But, if the Scud wins, I'm ready for it!:)

silveroxide
10-26-2009, 04:58 AM
The Sherman and if possible, with a scratched built detailed interior, and individual linked or built up tracks.

Bomarc
10-26-2009, 05:44 AM
I voted for the Dragon Wagon, my reason being a reverse of Greg's: Build the wagon first, then you have something to haul something (not just a Sherman) in for the following year.

But really, I'd be happy to see any of the three built by these gents.

Happy modeling guys!

Mike

peter taft
10-26-2009, 06:10 AM
I think that the SCUD would be a great one to build - and a really gutsy looking piece of kit ;)

CharlieC
10-26-2009, 06:21 AM
The Sherman and if possible, with a scratched built detailed interior, and individual linked or built up tracks.

Not with a GPM Sherman you won't - you need the new Halinski Firefly for that level of detail.

I voted for the Scud - the tires alone are a real challenge on that model.

Regards,

Charlie

Clashster
10-26-2009, 06:42 AM
SCUD!!!! I have this one, but not sure I have the guts to start it, so let me live vicariously through others! :)

peter taft
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
SCUD!!!! I have this one, but not sure I have the guts to start it, so let me live vicariously through others! :)

Can you please upload a piccy of the parts sheets - i would like to see what you would be up against... Charlie mentioned that the tyres are a challenge - all in all a cool looking vehicle and sounds a wee bit of a handful.

KCStephens
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Can you please upload a piccy of the parts sheets - i would like to see what you would be up against... Charlie mentioned that the tyres are a challenge - all in all a cool looking vehicle and sounds a wee bit of a handful.
Peter,
To give you a better idea of the scope of this project here's what the kit consists of... 28 - 17" x 12" pages of parts (8 of which are formers etc... that get laminated onto 1mm stock ) 19 pages of illustrations and building instructions.
Now, as far as the parts go...I just did a quick count of the tire tread pieces alone...(by the way each of which gets laminated to 1mm card) and came up with roughly 2626 pieces +/-...this equates to 328 treads per tire. Keep in mind that count does not include any other parts for rest of the tire or wheel assembly. This model is HUGE to say the least. I think the designer even included the cigar lighter on the dash....(Just kidding) but it is going to be a massive undertaking.

modelperry
10-26-2009, 12:54 PM
OK for those who have not seen the Scud and the tires in this kit, here is one picture of just the tread block pieces for the tires.

Greg

peter taft
10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Peter,
To give you a better idea of the scope of this project here's what the kit consists of... 28 - 17" x 12" pages of parts (8 of which are formers etc... that get laminated onto 1mm stock ) 19 pages of illustrations and building instructions.
Now, as far as the parts go...I just did a quick count of the tire tread pieces alone...(by the way each of which gets laminated to 1mm card) and came up with roughly 2626 pieces +/-...this equates to 328 treads per tire. Keep in mind that count does not include any other parts for rest of the tire or wheel assembly. This model is HUGE to say the least. I think the designer even included the cigar lighter on the dash....(Just kidding) but it is going to be a massive undertaking.

WOW i can see that this is a truly in depth kit for sure and a HUGE undertaking. The designer really went to town with this, which is quite apparent just in the TYRES. If Clashster decides to GO with the build, he will certainly get a big following ;)

modelperry
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Boy did we create a monster, me by bringing it up, you for the poll part. I'm still up for it and am already forming a plan in my head to conquer the launcher tires in a more systematic way.

You know Kevin, Everybody voting SCUD says nothing or very little about the Maz launcher part (except for the tires). Since the SCUD is just the missile part, would we have to build the launcher part too?;)

Greg

peter taft
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Boy did we create a monster, me by bringing it up, you for the poll part. I'm still up for it and am already forming a plan in my head to conquer the launcher tires in a more systematic way.

You know Kevin, Everybody voting SCUD says nothing or very little about the Maz launcher part (except for the tires). Since the SCUD is just the missile part, would we have to build the launcher part too?;)

Greg

Now this is blatant TEASING :D A medal would be in order just for those TYRES what you would receive for the whole deal, ummm A chest full of 'em ;)

Wyvern
10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Since I usually favor the underdog, I cast my vote for the Dragon Wagon. Just thinking of you two racing to build those Scud-hauler's tires is making me queasy.

Wyvern

member_3
10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
You'd better build the launcher or else they won't be eligible for the "Wheeled Vehicle" special category at next year's convention! :)

Moshe
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Now, as far as the parts go...I just did a quick count of the tire tread pieces alone...(by the way each of which gets laminated to 1mm card) and came up with roughly 2626 pieces +/-...this equates to 328 treads per tire ...

And just for the fun of it :rolleyes: when I received my copy, I counted all the parts and came up with approx 7146 parts :o

Once you start it, there is no way back :D

Papercut
10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Since I usually favor the underdog, I cast my vote for the Dragon Wagon. Just thinking of you two racing to build those Scud-hauler's tires is making me queasy.

Wyvern Seen the Scud and Sherman done! Now the Dragon Wagon, I ordered this one from Poland, the distributor lost the order and had to refund back to my Pay-Pal account after a period of time. So since I could not get one, @least maybe I can see one get built?:eek:Rick

airdave
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
it sounds more like "which model can we irritate them the most with" poll? LOL

I think the good ole Sherman is a nice choice...but maybe shake it up, with some some sort of added scratch mod for the Sherman to be included by the builder (they're choice)...like maybe a Mine clearer, or Mobile bridge or Rocket Launch carrier...there are many variants of the Sherman.

KCStephens
10-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Greg

You're right, Greg. I guess i should have thought a little more about this before opening up this great big can of worms. There is always the laser cut option for the wheels and formers.

KCStephens
10-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi All,

Here is your chance to influence a build for two of the most respected Armor builders we have here on papermodelers.com

Greg, This may be our saving grace...:) Rick used the word "influence" in his initial post. So, I guess ultimately the final choice is still up to us...;) Maybe we could quietly move on with the Sherman and nobody would be the wiser :confused: What do you think?

modelperry
10-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Greg, This may be our saving grace...:) Rick used the word "influence" in his initial post. So, I guess ultimately the final choice is still up to us...;) Maybe we could quietly move on with the Sherman and nobody would be the wiser :confused: What do you think?

Well I did vote for the Sherman in the poll and gave my reasons why, so I'm good with bucking the trend.:)

Greg

dansls1
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I voted the Scud Launcher for a more personal reason - it's on my build list and I'd love to see a detailed English language build (or 2) for when I get around to mine ;)

Don Boose
10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Since I was part of the gang that has been putting the pressure on Kevin to build the Dragon Wagon, I had to vote for it. But the idea was to put the Sherman that Kevin bought at last year's IPMC ON the Dragon Wagon -- so I guess you ought to get that Sherman finished first, Kevin.

However it turns out, I look forward to seeing the builds from these two superb model builders.

Don

modelperry
11-01-2009, 10:13 PM
1st I'd like to thank everyone for voting and to Rick for starting the poll.

OK, Here's the deal now that the poll is closed.

Kevin & I have discussed this issue and have come to a compromise that should make "most" of you happy.

Since both Kevin & I are now back in school, neither of us are sure we could do the dragon wagon or scud models justice within a year. Also, since we want this contest to be open to any other willing participants, we want the subject matter to be something others would not be as intimidated by.

This has lead us to choose the Sherman as our challenge.

HOWEVER, since the scud won the poll, I have agreed to start a build thread of it as soon as I'm finished with my Chi-Ri. This way I can give it the time and attention it deserves and meet my other obligations (ie. building the Sherman and helping my buddy Ed enter the paper modeling world - We're going to build Modelik Dingo's together)

For those of you who voted for the Dragon Wagon, you'll just have to continue harassing Kevin to build it for now. OK Don?

Now, for the Sherman challenge part:

Kevin & I will be participants, but anyone intending to attend next year's Paper Model convention in Virginia is invited to participate. The winner will be chosen by popular vote by all attendees of the convention. The winner will then get to choose the subject for the following year's build challenge.

May the challenge commence!

Greg

rickstef
11-01-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.slidersweb.net/blinker/fics/lane.gif

"I'll allow it!"

Zhara
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I vote for the Skud ('cause it's "dead sexy")

the hermit
11-01-2009, 11:35 PM
aww heck its closed

lol

KCStephens
11-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Okay, now that the polls are officially closed. As Greg mentioned above, we have decided to go on with the Sherman build for the competition. Sorry to disappoint you with our choice but after thinking long and hard about it we felt that this was the most do-able of the three candidates, considering our busy lives and other commitments. But fear not, as Greg mentioned, he plans on building the Scud here sometime in the future. So please be patient, it will definitely be worth the wait.

peter taft
11-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Okay, now that the polls are officially closed. As Greg mentioned above, we have decided to go on with the Sherman build for the competition. Sorry to disappoint you with our choice but after thinking long and hard about it we felt that this was the most do-able of the three candidates, considering our busy lives and other commitments. But fear not, as Greg mentioned, he plans on building the Scud here sometime in the future. So please be patient, it will definitely be worth the wait.

Quiet understand the decision here, and look forward to what's in the line anyway... and obviously the popular scud will definitely be worth the wait. Good luck, and ENJOY ;)

rmks2000
11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Quick question - is the Sherman contest a subset of the convention's theme/contest? I thought that the theme would be vehicles in general.

modelperry
11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Quick question - is the Sherman contest a subset of the convention's theme/contest? I thought that the theme would be vehicles in general.

It's an entirely separate thing that I came up with and has nothing to do with the vehicle theme. :)

Old Troll mentioned the special was wheeled vehicles, is this right?

Greg

rickstef
11-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, the contest for next year is Wheeled vehicles
this only applies for the convention

rmks2000
11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I hope to have a few cars built by the convention next year.

modelperry
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey Kevin, Only about a month left! Hope your Sherman is done or close to it! Also, I hope other attendees were secretly building Shermans to compete with us. The more the merrier! I don't want to win by default, just because I was able to get mine finished! ;)

Greg

John Wagenseil
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Dragon Wagon with Sherman. Tracks, wheels with lugs, and have to build trailer suspension stron enough to carry Sherman