PDA

View Full Version : The Hunter FanRacer

ThunderChild
10-26-2009, 02:26 AM
I've had this design in mind for a while now. I'm again planning 2 sizes, one to join G1 and Janx's Valkyrie fleet and one large model with cockpit and landing gear.

(No, this is not the secret project... ;D )

Getter 1
10-26-2009, 01:24 PM
TC,

Got the body assembled. On to the wings :D

I'm doing it up in 1/72 and will measure 8.5cm when done. It's smaller than most WW1 fighters :eek:

Pix to come later.

G1

legion
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
I wonder, would it have enough lift to fly for real?

Getter 1
10-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Hello All,

Here's what I have so far. I go tall but the duct ring booster pods built. The wings are placed and are seting in position but no pix of that ATM.

I used 65 lbs. Card stock and for the size it was a tad too heavy. The problem being was the overlap was a bit more than I would have liked. That being the case I buffed down all the over laps smooth and I will be painting this one. I stopped edge coloring for that reason and the final assembly will be done as things are colored.

I built it straight with little mods. For one I used the tabs but for sections like the cockpit and ring I used my "step tab" method. What's a step tab you say? Bend the tab down. With a pair of needle nose pliers bend it back up just back from the down fold. You will make a "step" and the tabs seam will blend better.

So the only real mods I did were to angle the fan blades and the engine exhausts were cut into 2 parts each. The outlet was a black section that I removed making the bottom a seperate plate. This made it easier to assemble and created an open exhaust end instead of being capped off. Oh the inner ring segments didn't align too well (my fault not TC's) so I lined it with regular paper.

This is a fairly fast and fun kit. I can't wait to try the larger one with full details. Of course I will shrink that one to 1/72 also :P

TC you've doen it again with another masterpiece :D

Ahh, popped a few shots of the wings setting after all :P THe ring and tail fin are not glued to the wings yet for painting reasons but I placed em together for the proper angle of the wings while the glue was drying on them. the tail is glued to the ring though but not to the body.

Legion, I do believe this woudl be a very sound flying design. Only thing I think would need to change is perhaps larger canards but only for stability reasons. The componets arrangement also suggets good balance.

G1

Getter 1
10-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Component pix. Note one exhaust without the bottom plate to show what I was talking about earlier.
G1

Wulf111
10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
you beat me to this one TC LOL very nice job to you both

ThunderChild
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey Wulf, thanks!
If you're not far from completion, I say bring it out! Can never have too many Macross models! :D

The little one is nearing completion, just the instructions left to do on it.

onions22
10-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Looks very nice. It's good to know one of them matches the scale of the other macross models.

Getter 1
10-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Got it mostly built now. Jut finishing the ring booster pods and she's ready for color :D

G1

Wulf111
10-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey Wulf, thanks!
If you're not far from completion, I say bring it out! Can never have too many Macross models! :D

The little one is nearing completion, just the instructions left to do on it.

i don't have all that much done except for some research so i will leave this one to you :) when/if i get the up-scaled Daedalous and Prometheous complete i will show you all my next project.

great work on the design TC looking forward to building one of my own in the near future and a masterful build there G1 your skills are always top notch.

Getter 1
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Hello All,

She's all bult now :D Still haven't glued the ring or the fan assembly to the rear yet but I will after painting. Got it on the stand that's on the final version.

Very enjoyable model TC.

Painted pix to come. Gonna let all the glue harden so I can buff the booster pods safely so painting will comence tomorrow. In the mean time I need to get started on the VF-1 on my desk here :P

G1

Janx
10-29-2009, 05:08 AM
looks brilliant G1, A beautiful model TC well done guys :D

ThunderChild
11-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanx Janx! :D

Here's my test build. Not as spiffy as G1's skills, but I think I got the scale ok now...

Just need to finish up the instructions.

Getter 1
11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Mighty fine build there TC :D :D :D

G1

ThunderChild
11-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi all!

The little one is up. Check out the download section! Enjoy and remember to post some pics!

Getter 1
11-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Master TC,

Great ont he little one being up :D

I'm working ont he large one now. I scaled it way down to 1/48 which gave me 4 pages per sheet of card :D

Got the body well underway but that's it for the night. After finishng the VF-1D tut I'm wiped out :P

G1

Stev0
11-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time.

The canopy is gonna be massive.

ThunderChild
11-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm too scared to build the large one myself... :D

Good start there G1! Can't wait to see the rest!

Getter 1
11-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello All,

Well the large Racer is nearly done. I need to make the ring pods still and have to re-do the canopy. I messed up bad on it. I was starting to pour the epoxy into the mold when I realized I forgot to make the tape "skirt". I figured it would be ok (epoxy was mixed so it was too late to correct) and that I could still use it but somehow the rear portion's angle got off and re****ed in a non fitting canopy at the back. I know now I should have written off the batch of epoxy and added the skirt :(

Oh well took a shot of it anyway to show you how it will look with the glass on :D Also got a zoom in to show the mistake :( The worst thing is that was my last piece of clear plastic on hand :( Oh well I still have a little time before it has to be done as this is a Christmas present for a buddy of mine.

Great model TC :D You've made yet another masterpiece ;) Got a few minor notes for ya but will hold off till I get at least one pod done to see if there's anymore notes :P Though I don't foresee any problems.

Hmmm Gear up build means I should try for a pilot :P Note this buld is actually 1/4 the size TC intended it to be. I scale dit down to 1/48 meaning TC's intent was more like 1/12!!! Hee hee the next time I visit this model it will be scaled down to 1/72 :D

Enjoy,
G1

ThunderChild
11-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Lookin great there G1!
Probs with the canopy? Good to see that you are human after all! :D Still better than what mine would have been like! I'm too scared to try and build this!
You're still the master!

Stev0
11-29-2009, 10:22 AM
A interesting display would be to have it suspended upside down by some cables with the canopy open.

=)

Getter 1
11-29-2009, 11:30 AM
A interesting display would be to have it suspended upside down by some cables with the canopy open.

=)

Had the same thought myself ;)

G1

hawkman67
11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey G1;
That large Fan Racer looking really good so far, my friend.

Getter 1
11-29-2009, 02:19 PM
HM, Thanks :) I got the canopy re-printed so sometime today I'll get it re-made and start on those dreaded ring pods :P

G1

ThunderChild
11-29-2009, 03:09 PM
A guy over at macrossworld did the whole upside-down-suspended diorama with a plastic/resin kit. It looks amazing!

Getter 1
12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Finally got those dreadded ring pods done :P Well they weren't bad it's just I wasn't in the mood for em so I waited till I was up for it.

Just need to re-do the canopy and some color touch ups and it's off to Pittsburgh for Christmas :D

TC, I'm preparing the list of notes for ya. All minor stuff mostly texture or inidications.

G1

ltla9000311
12-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Another excellent build of a well designed model.

Getter 1
12-17-2009, 09:03 PM
It's a done :D

I'm not entirely happy with the canopy but I had no more time left to start the process all over again :(

Pilot fig was designed by Janx. I made that a tad too big to but it works :P That's what I get for making basically a prototype a present :P

Overall I'm ok with it but I wish I had time to start the entire thing over.

G1

Getter 1
12-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok For some odd reason I posted the pix from my previous post and cannot edit them so here's the finished pix.

G1

Stev0
12-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Another great piece.