PDA

View Full Version : Schloss Neuschwanstein, Schreiber

rlwhitt
10-25-2007, 11:47 AM
My latest build was intended to be a break from the more difficult stuff I've worked on of late. I was aiming for a fun, fast (for me) build. This is going to be given to one of my daughter's former teachers so the goal was not to get things as precise as I would normally try to do, and as a result some things were done a bit rough. With an audience of 6th graders, highest quality was not the top priority. This teacher takes tour groups to Europe every year. We've been with her once and will be going again this spring, so this model was also meant to stoke a little interest among my kids. They might actually be a little more interested when they see the real thing! I've never done an architecture model before, and have certainly found it to be a different exterience. But it WAS fun, so mission accomplished!

This model is from Schreiber-Bogen, and I gather it has been in print for quite a while. It is 1:250 scale, and produces a model roughly 23" long, 8" wide and 12" high (59cm x 20cm x 30cm). It has around 370 parts, if you use them all. It's a bit pricey @ $29.95 or so, but it's a very nice kit. It actually comes with the cardboard needed to laminate the 5 sheets of parts that need to be 1mm thick. The remaining colored parts come on 11 A3 sheets.

Print quality is nice and the overall fit is very good. I ran into a few ill fitting parts, but nothing that could not be cajoled a bit. There are a couple of very nice features. One is that there are optional parts. You can cut out probably about 100 parts to simplify things a bit, as the detail they add is also printed on the parts. Examples are the real door and arch at the entrance and all the little dormers on the main building's roof. I put most of the optional parts on, but not all. Some of them did not add enough in my opnion to justify the effort for the target audience. I also left off the little pointed deals on the top of the spires, as I figure they'll just get broken off from handling anyway!

Another nicety is that most of the parts are printed with part number in black (or blue for the optionals) and the parts they JOIN with are printed in the appropriate places in red. Very nice.

Here are two views of the Schloss, side and front:

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/538/medium/Neuschwanstein_Side.jpg

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/538/medium/Neuschwanstein_Front.jpg

Golden Bear
10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Nice build Rick. I did some architecture models back in the day and enjoyed building them. They have been easy to dust over the years. :-)

dansls1
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Neat model.

cgutzmer
10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Very nice build! Did you build it on one big sheet of cardboard to get it to stay so flat? I built a smaller version of this and had a lot of problems getting it to sit flat. I had the same problem when I built sleeping beautys (or was that cinderellas - I forget) castle. You certainly did it justice!
Chris

rlwhitt
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
It comes with 1mm cardboard and the base parts are laminated to it (base covers 2 sheets). It's a VERY sturdy base, well designed!

Very nice build! Did you build it on one big sheet of cardboard to get it to stay so flat? I built a smaller version of this and had a lot of problems getting it to sit flat. I had the same problem when I built sleeping beautys (or was that cinderellas - I forget) castle. You certainly did it justice!
Chris

Clashster
10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Nice job, Rick! Looks like a very cool castle.... Perhaps I may have to try an architecture model one of these days... Thanks for the pictures!

Gil
10-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi Rick,

Where's Baron Bomburst's airship?

+Gil

willygoat
10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Great work! I was at that castle 5 years ago. It's an amaizing place and I always wanted to go there. Only bad thing is you can't take pictures inside. Your model brings back some great memories though.

PXR5
10-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Really appreciate your photos Rick. A very nice model, and well executed.

I was half expecting to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Hmmm, is that what Gil was alluding to?

rlwhitt
10-29-2007, 06:31 AM
The Baron Bomburst reference puzzled me, but now that you mention CCBB, it finally dawned on my thick skull. Must've seen the movie a hundred times when my kids were little, but my memory failed me - perhaps I was just blocking it out!

Phil
10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Beautiful!!!!!:):D;)