PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Pimento Spread

dansls1
10-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Rules!

That's all.

Don Boose
10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
More than limburger and onion on pumpernickel?

Texman
10-25-2007, 08:16 PM
There are some serious issues in this thread!

Ray

rickstef
10-25-2007, 08:34 PM
i lost my apetite

Gil
10-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Has to be the imported limburger and sweet Granex onions on real pumpernickel to work. A little speck is also a good idea...,

+Gil

dansls1
10-26-2007, 04:32 AM
I've never tried limburger and onions on pumpernickel. To be honest I've never even seen limburger, but I generally like strong cheeses, so I'd be willing to give this a try.

dustey
10-26-2007, 06:53 AM
whats this talk of food? lol make me miss my old home cooking that I cant do here in Florida becouse they dont sell the items down here :-( ah to have a nice bowl of fava,s with linguesa or a cocerla sandwitch.......................................

Don Boose
10-26-2007, 07:54 AM
The more significant questions are:

Is a Granex onion an oblate spheroid?

Has MOS95B ever matched two Granex onions in a gladiatorial contest?

And when will Phil offer a model of a Granex onion to go with Log and Plankton?

Incidentally, there used to be a wonderful cheese called Liederkranz, similar to limburger, invented in America by a Swiss immigrant named Emil Frey, the same man who invented Velveeta, would you believe. It was great stuff, but sadly, Liederkranz was withdrawn from the market in the 1980s. The name (wreath of song) comes from the old German singing societies in America (one of which counted my grandparents as members).

If left too long on the shelf, Liederkranz would turn haze gray in color, similar to many U.S. Navy camouflage schemes. Not unlike pimento cheese spread, which has a passing resemblance to the Pacific Measure 33 green schemes -- although some might argue that the resemblance is closer to the color scheme of a French pre-dreadnought.

For linguesa or cocerla, one would have to go to the Condottieri-class light cruisers, such as the Bartolomeo Colleoni, the Emanuele Filiberto Duca d'Aosta, or the Luigi Savoia Duca degli Abruzzi.

Don B.

rickstef
10-26-2007, 08:08 AM
never in my mind would i have thought that i would have seen the color of rotting foodstuff be related to Naval Capital ships.

Rick

dansls1
10-26-2007, 09:40 AM
never in my mind would i have thought that i would have seen the color of rotting foodstuff be related to Naval Capital ships.

Rick

Yes, but you have to admit if anybody was going to relate those 2 things it'd be Don :p

rickstef
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
i wouldn't have expected anything less

B-Manic
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Rules!

That's all.

Does it come in a spray can?

Don Boose
10-26-2007, 01:23 PM
The mind does fairly boggle at the idea of pimento cheese or Limburger in a spray can -- like Cheese Whiz, the essential ingredient of one version of the Philly Cheese Steak?

Incidentally, as Gil no doubt is aware, speck comes originally from the Tyrol, so there is probably an Italian connection, the German name to the contrary notwithstanding. I'm not sure what Missy would call it -- lardo? -- but in Appalachia, I think the correct technical term is "sowbelly.

And while I totally respect Gil's culinary opinion, I think I would only add speck to Limburger and onion when pigs fly. Which leads me to ask, has anyone seen the film Porco Rosso? There are some wonderful floatplanes and flying boats of the 1920s in that Miyazaki film! http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/

And so I conclude by asking Krzychu74, what is the status of the Pzl-12, which is very similar to some of the World War I seaplane scouts that appear in Porco Rosso?

Don B.

John Bowden
10-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Dang............. I thought this was going to be a new way to put stuff on celery.............all this plane and ship talk has gone over my head!:p

john

P.S.

Not too much was better than my grandma's home made Pimento Cheese.................

Barry
10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Again two nations divided by a common language and now it seems a common appetite lord you do eat some strange things. He says thinking a bit of Black pudding would be nice for a change.

Don Boose
10-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Not to mention steak and kidney pud, stewed kidneys, kippers, bloaters . . . all delicious, in this Yank's opinion!

And speaking of kippers -- one of my grandsons, after watching an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine, asked what "kippers" were. As it happened, there were a couple of cans ("tins" to you, Barry) of kippers in the pantry, so we were able to have an immediate demonstration. After downing the kippers, we built the Fiddlers Green Kipper Factory, so we were able to combine culinary with paper modeling adventures.

And, of course, having spent the last 3.5 years of my life doing research and writing on amphibious warfare, I must add that the British WWII slang term for the landing craft, tank (LCT) was "kipper box."

Tim Perry uses that term for the name of his website. He builds in plastic, but most of his techniques are applicable to paper models and his website is well worth a look: http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/lct_mk_4.html

If you look at his Arizona under construction, you could be excused for thinking you were seeing a paper model: http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/uss_arizona_page_2.html

Don B.

PS: You DO come up with the most stimulating discussion topics, Dan.

Kaz
10-26-2007, 03:40 PM
The mind does fairly boggle at the idea of pimento cheese or Limburger in a spray can -- like Cheese Whiz, the essential ingredient of one version of the Philly Cheese Steak?

Incidentally, as Gil no doubt is aware, speck comes originally from the Tyrol, so there is probably an Italian connection, the German name to the contrary notwithstanding. I'm not sure what Missy would call it -- lardo? -- but in Appalachia, I think the correct technical term is "sowbelly.

And while I totally respect Gil's culinary opinion, I think I would only add speck to Limburger and onion when pigs fly. Which leads me to ask, has anyone seen the film Porco Rosso? There are some wonderful floatplanes and flying boats of the 1920s in that Miyazaki film! http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/

And so I conclude by asking Krzychu74, what is the status of the Pzl-12, which is very similar to some of the World War I seaplane scouts that appear in Porco Rosso?

Don B.

And the plane is available as a paper model too!
my 2p worth.... jalapeno stuffed with cheese, battered and fried... toilet paper kept overnight in the fridge

Barry
10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Don you taught me something. I never knew you could buy kippers in a can.

I prefer my herrings rolled and dried in an old Victorian cast iron fireplace with a bread oven built in and a coal fire to give them a bit of extra taste. No way of getting them now, the oven and our cobbles and the crab pots were sold 60 years ago.

A large scale Yorkshire cobble would make a good card model come to think of it.

B-Manic
10-26-2007, 04:16 PM
There is a thread on zealot http://forum.zealot.com/t148142/ about the savoia S.21 seaplane from Porco Rosso. Including pictures of a paper model by ojimak that has never been released.

All this talk of lard and cheese reminds me of poutine - a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with hot gravy (usually brown gravy) and sometimes other additional ingredients. The curds' freshness is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential French Canadian comfort food, especially but not exclusively among Québécois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Phil
10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Normally, I would have mentioned Spam and Eggs, but with my cholesterol issues, I will have a salad, with some of those funny onions...

I know, BORING!...it's been like that lately.

Gil
10-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Speck is usually goose or duck fat (in Bavaria, can be ham elsewhere) and is used to coat the onions which are then fried to a crispy consistency before being placed on a slice of pumpernickel and given a topping of Limburger cheese...,

+Gil

Don Boose
10-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Okay, Gil. I'm convinced! My version uses raw onion, but yours sounds so delicious that it must be against the law. And I learned something new -- that speck can be non-pig. This forum is an unending source of education and delight.

Too bad you can't cook one up one of those sandwiches and post it. I'd download it immediately (although too many of those and I'd be a candidate for another bypass operation).

Don B.

Gil
10-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Speck is usually goose or duck fat (in Bavaria, can be ham elsewhere) and is used to coat the onions which are then fried to a crispy consistency before being placed on a slice of pumpernickel and given a topping of Limburger cheese...,

+Gil

Ok, the bait has gone long enough and has not aroused Maurice so I am forced to set the record straight. It's my creative way of wiggling out of the fact that I got schmaltz and speck reversed. Speck is usually smoked bacon and schmaltz is usually clarified goose or duck fat and sometimes bacon fat. Duck fat yields the crispiest fried food. It's also served along with fresh butter at all the better Bavarian restaurants. Sorry Maurice, you just aren't as fast as you used to be...,

+Gil

John Bowden
10-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Dang................ my kippers always came in a can (tin).........Yes there is one in the pantry. My momma got me hooked(pun intended) on them.

My question is.............. why can't you find sardines so small they are packed in two layers??!!................. all the cans around here are one layer deep and big enough to filet!

Man............ I'm all of a sudden wanting some on a cracker............. saltines and sardines..........breakfast of champions............. I just might have to go outside and eat my kippers............Sheila dosen't like them to stink up the house!:p

john

P.S.

Barry you can have all the kidneys, I have to pass....................

B-Manic
10-27-2007, 08:58 AM
When I first joined the Navy (30 years ago) it seemed that every morning after a storm at sea you could count on there being kippers and/or kidneys on the steam line for breakfast. I could never decide whether it was a treat or sadism.

Gil
10-27-2007, 09:03 AM
That's called Cookies revenge...,

+Gil

whulsey
10-28-2007, 05:52 PM
And I was wondering where I was going for dinner tonight. I got a can of sardines in the cupboard, saltines, some Cajun mustard, yumm. dinner time...back in a bit. Don't want to get crumbs down the keyboard.

Ashrunner
10-28-2007, 06:00 PM
This thread got me thinking about MREs. I actually enjoyed them. However, when most people were dumping the little bottles of Tabasco Sauce on them to give the meal some "flavor," I dumped mustard on mine. Mustard...yummm...I eat it on almost (notice almost) everything.

Kaz
10-29-2007, 01:24 AM
I have a question about american mustard... is it wholegrain or smooth or do you do both?
Wholegrain on porkpies is wonderful

dansls1
10-29-2007, 04:49 AM
I have a question about american mustard... is it wholegrain or smooth or do you do both?

Typical is smooth - but pretty much anything you want is available.

John Bowden
10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
and Yellow.................

whulsey
10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
I tend to go for the whole grain types myself and like Ashrunner I tend to use it on lots of things.

Ashrunner
10-29-2007, 01:16 PM

Our yellow mustard is smooth, but that is one of 13 different mustards on my shelves right now. 8v) Among others, I have dijon mustard, brown mustard, sweet hot mustard, and my personal favorite, horseradish mustard. I was hoping my sister would bring me back some European mustard, but she forgot. Also forgot my mead. Oh well.