PDA

View Full Version : Halinski 1:25 Bergepanther

Ron0909
11-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi guys,

I've hit modeler's block and for the longest time couldn't figure out why until now. I need to build a tank! Seriously...I've been building aircraft forever and the last 3 I've attacked haven't been completed (2 have their landing gear left to do and the last proved to be unbuildable).
I have a couple models I've been sitting on for a few years that were a gift from a friend that used to have a shop overseas a few years back. Unfortunately the one I'm thinking of attacking is lacking the english instructions. Does anyone have the english instructions for Halinski's SdKfz 179 Bergepanther? The other question, probably equally as important, what kind of glue do you all recommend for gluing armor frames? I've cut out all of the required 1mm stuff (what I've decypered so far :)). I'm almost positive I need to skin the internals of the frames prior to assembly as there *is* a full interior and am wondering what works best for adhereing skins? I have the standard PVA (thickened through age and some new stuff), UHU clear all purpose 'twist and glue', UHU all purpose, small tube, solvent free black cap and some glue sticks.

Thanks a million! If this gets on it's treads, I might force you guys into watching (or suffering through) a armor newbie build :)
Ron

Jim Nunn
11-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I think I have the English instructions If I do I will send then via a privet message.

To glue the skins I just use good old Aleene’s brown bottle. For the interior skins I would build up the frame and then glue the skins on. I just tack the skin on at the edges and a couple of dots of glue in the center. Putting a film of glue on the whole skin and then trying to get it aligned is a real B***h sometimes. Also you may need to trim the skin to fit. I also would test fit the outer skin to make sure the hull is correct.

I’m glad you picked a simple model for your first AFV. . . It has what only 4 to 5 thousand parts.

Post photos.

Jim Nunn

Ron0909
11-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Jim,
Thank you for the advice. Coming from you, I always know it's well founded :) Those instructions will really come in handy. You weren't kidding when you said it was a simple model of 3308 parts. I found a very good build thread (It's in Chinese I believe) but the images are great along with the construction methods depicted. [CPM-1]1:25 Halinski Bergepanther ÇÀÐÞ±ª - ½װģÐÍÖÆ×÷½øÐÐÇø(Contruction Reports) - cardmodel.cn ÖлªÖ½Ä£Íø¡¢3Dֽģ¡¢3DTֽģÐÍ¡¢Ö½Ä£Íø¡¢Ö½Ä£¡¢Ö½Ä£Ð Í¡¢Papermodel¡¢Cardmodel¡¢3Dcard - Powered by Discuz! (http://www.cardmodel.cn/viewthread.php?tid=946&extra=page%3D1)
I was just getting past the first few images...this guy is nuts! WORKING Spring loaded suspension! Ever feel outdone way before you even start? Here I am asking how to glue on skins :)

Ron

Keds_Girl_Lala
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
For the gluing of thick parts I like Devcon Weldit my self

Ron0909
11-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks K.G.L :) I'm going to experiment...Believe it or not, I've never owned a bottle of Aleene's nor a tube of Weldit. When painting hull frames with interior and exterior skins of 2 different colors, what color should I paint the walls of any openings cut into them? With aircraft wing trailing edges etc where 2 colors meet I usually just paint them the top color as it looks unfinished to me otherwise.

Sorry about these silly, seemingly basic questions. I'd rather ask you pro's than make a mess of things :)

B-Manic
11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks K.G.L :) I'm going to experiment...Believe it or not, I've never owned a bottle of Aleene's nor a tube of Weldit. When painting hull frames with interior and exterior skins of 2 different colors, what color should I paint the walls of any openings cut into them? With aircraft wing trailing edges etc where 2 colors meet I usually just paint them the top color as it looks unfinished to me otherwise.

Sorry about these silly, seemingly basic questions. I'd rather ask you pro's than make a mess of things :)

If the openings are thin, I edge colour in black. If thick, I try to match the outside colour.

Clashster
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Hoping to see a build thread of this! I have selected 7 or 8 models I have to choose from for my next build. This was one of them... Perhaps I can live vicariously through you and build the Wespe instead!

Ron0909
11-28-2009, 03:50 PM
If the openings are thin, I edge colour in black. If thick, I try to match the outside colour.

That's what I did..matched the outside color :)
Chris, don't live through me! I would love to see the Wespe built though. That was one of my choices when I was contemplating my next order. Seriously, I've never built anything with 4 wheels let alone treads so I might just barely tread water here.

Ron

Clashster
11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Ron -
I read somewhere that someone needed English instructions and emailed Halinski. The next day they received a pdf file with the instructions. I emailed them today for several models I have. If I am successful, I will forward the Bergepanther instructions.

Ron0909
11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks :) I should have just written myself! My copy was a gift a few years back and I never had the testicular fortitude to build it. In never even occured to me to ask for the instructions back then. Speaking of which, has anyone spoken at all to Joseph from 'Spishop'?

Ron

Stev0
11-28-2009, 04:53 PM
If your having problems finishing an aircraft model, then your going to be angry when you come to the track sections of a tank model. Every build that does not use laser cut tracks comes to a screeching halt when the builder begins the track sections.

Personally I have yet to build armor that had individual track sections (1/50-1/72 scale). I cannot advise how to get around this hurdle other than the purchase of laser cut tracks. I think you can buy 1:25 laser cuts for the Tiger.

Ron0909
11-28-2009, 05:14 PM
My problem was boredom with eternal aircraft models. I mean literally years of them
from before the days of Cardmodels.net until now. I've never built anything else! I'm sure the first attempt at tracks will be pretty interesting and by the time they are done I'll be wishing for laser cut :) Right now I'm going to type out by hand the first paragraphs of Polish instructions into an online translator....talk about losing hair!

CharlieC
11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
If your having problems finishing an aircraft model, then your going to be angry when you come to the track sections of a tank model. Every build that does not use laser cut tracks comes to a screeching halt when the builder begins the track sections.

Personally I have yet to build armor that had individual track sections (1/50-1/72 scale). I cannot advise how to get around this hurdle other than the purchase of laser cut tracks. I think you can buy 1:25 laser cuts for the Tiger.

Panther tracks should be ok for the Bergepanther - I think Drafmodel does a set of Panther tracks.

If it's so difficult to build the tracks why not build the tracks first? Or at least early in the build - you get the pain over and there's lot of motivation to finish the model so you don't wind up with an orphaned set of tracks.

Regards,

Charlie

Jim Nunn
11-28-2009, 11:26 PM
When painting hull frames with interior and exterior skins of 2 different colors, what color should I paint the walls of any openings cut into them?

Ron

These are good questions. On German Armor There are lots of discussions on what colors were used no less what was painted. I use the rule that the outside color was never applied to the interior so the edge of the Armor plate on a hatch would be the same color as the interior. The Bergepanther is an exception the exposed interior is the same color as the outside (Dunkelgelb). I agree with Charlie its best to get the track links out of way first or What I have done is take one building night in 5 and cut out track parts and build just a few at a time. Better yet the laser cut track links are will worth the $20.

Instructins are on the way

Jim Nunn

redhorse
11-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I've only built one tank myself. Overall, it was very fun to build, but the tracks were a bear. I built another small model in between building the tracks. I'd do ten links and then a couple steps on the other model and so on. It made it much more bearable, and for looks nothing even comes close to individual links. When I do my next one, I won't be satisfied unless I do more individual links. It's like making a fine bracelet out of paper.

Ron0909
11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I think I'll take the advice of you learned folks and tackle the tracks bit by bit inbetween other little steps. I got the main framework together today and was surprised when I came up with a minor inaccuracy. The holes in the skin that cover the inside hull flooring are in the wrong position. No big deal at all as I just cut the skin and have a small 1/8" gap on the floor that I painted in.
This is gonna be a great, fun model.... I can feel it in my bones :)
Just a few pics of what I have so far if anyone is interested... I slipped on the grill openings so I just cut them out clean. Maybe if the planets are all aligned correctly I'll do a new one that has the grills cut out correctly. I'm not the best with really fine 1mm work. The main hull skin has the grills also so it will probably look good by themselves. Opinions are always welcome :)

Ron

Clashster
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Nice start, Ron! BTW, no reply from Halinski yet on English instructions.

Ron0909
11-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks Chris :) I'm gonna need all the re-enforcement I can get on this puppy!
I should have mentioned before, a kind soul passed a set of English instructions on to me (Thank God!!). If I can do the same for anyone, just pm me with your email address

Ron

Ron0909
11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Finally got the main hull shell completed. Once I figured out the proper angles and read the instructions to sand when needed, it went together really well. The 2 pics below just show the top dry fitted in place. It will need to be sanded as well but not by much at all. Onto the internal bulkheads and fiddly bits....and more fiddly bits. I'm really looking forward to building the internals as its a real learning opportunity.

Ron

Ron0909
12-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Hello everyone :)
Sorry about not posting recently in this thread. It's a go again after a first attempt was scrapped. For anyone taking on this kit, take care to sand all the frame edges so that each piece mates up nicely with the next. I missed a few and just glued them 'as is' and it wasn't good. In the pics below, the internal skins are in and the axle supports are on their way in (man! there are alot!) So far all is fitting perfectly! I found a few walkarounds of the real deal on the net and things look a wee bit different. For the most part the kit looks good and I'll just go with it 'out of the box'

More tomorrow I hope :)
PS...I haven't had too many people to show the last pic to so I thought I'd show it to my friends here. I finally managed to pull off a diploma for the first time in my life! Just received it the other day (finally!!)

Have a good night everyone :)
Ron

rickstef
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Congrats Buddy,

Nicely done

that piece of paper won't end up in a model ever, right?

Clashster
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Looks great, Ron! Nice clean work, too! congrats on the diploma!

shrike
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Congratulations!

Now you need to make about 5 copies of the diploma and do a 3D Collage version.<G>

Jim Nunn
12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Ron

Very precise work!

I’m jealous my kit did not come with that last page you displayed. Congratulations on the earning the diploma.

Jim Nunn

Texman
12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Congratulations Ron, both on taking on the challenge of this build, and the diploma.

dansls1
12-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Congrats on the diploma!

Ron0909
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks a million everyone :) I hope it will help land a job that doesn't require putting on the tool belt or climbing ladders all day!
The panther is coming along slowly...I guess I shouldn't expect a speedy build should I? Today was the construction of the axle supports forward of the engine compartment and a whole whack of washers and hex nuts. Painting the edges of 32 washers and the hex nuts drove me a little nuts myself :)Tomorrow I'm on the hunt for a suitable axle material. For the life of me I can't consistantly roll the axles with Halinski paper or bond paper and will be happy with wire. I gather from my wire strippers that 14awg copper might be just perfect. Any ideas guys? The last pic is just a dry run with the axle supports. They should all line up really well when they get glued in

Clashster
12-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Great work, Ron! Getting exciting! I've always used dowels for axels, but wire may be easier to deal with...

Jim Nunn
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Ron

Your excellent work is rekindling my interest in building this model.

The first photo is from the Bergepanther on display at the Saumur Museum and shows the zerk fittings for greasing the torsion bar suspension this is part 193 in the kit. The second photo shows the grease lines and hull bottom detail in a panther Ausf A. If you want to go nuts on detail use 0.016 dia. solder for the lines.

Jim Nunn

Ron0909
12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Hmmmmm...do they make dowels the same thickness as a toothpick? Luck has it that toothpicks (the round ones of course) are about 1cm too short otherwise they'd be perfect. Thanks for those pictures Jim! Wow...there is a ton of opportunity
there for detailing. This is my first bit of armor and I'm already feeling overwhelmed.......
Is there any chance a moderator or admin (Hi Rick:)) can change the lame title I gave this thread? Halinski 1:25 Bergepanther would be great or anything similar. I'd really appreciate it!
Ron

Ron0909
12-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Now that's a better thread title :) Thanks to the kind person that took the time out to change it! Jim, I have some of the solder you mentioned and I might just give the grease lines a go.

Talk soon
Ron

Bomarc
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Hmmmmm...do they make dowels the same thickness as a toothpick? Luck has it that toothpicks (the round ones of course) are about 1cm too short otherwise they'd be perfect.

Hi Ron!

Good to see you working on something! Panther looks great so far. Maybe Jim Nunn's post today on making paper rods will do the trick?

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tips-tricks/6461-method-easily-make-1-mm-paper-rods.html

Great tip....

Mike

Paperwarrior
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
...just had a chance to see this thread.

CONGRATS on the diploma!! That is a piece of paper to be proud of!

The Panther looks great...coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing more!

Ron0909
12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey all :)

Jim, that Q-tip idea is just perfect! I've included a most exciting picture of a Q-tip dowel aprox. 1/8" in diameter. Seriously...it solved my immediate need for axles in my engine compartment. The remainder will be wire only for speed of application. The other pics are just a few installed axles and engine compartment bulkheads/firewalls and the main axle supports for both sides. I had the main dividing bulkhead completed (the one that separates the engine from the rest of the tank) but I buggered it up in a bad way. I was hoping to get onto building the engine stuff but it will have to wait until I have another built.

Have a good night everyone

Ron

Ron0909
12-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi guys

A small update for now...hopefully some better, far more interesting additions coming real soon :) Today I finally finished the basic engine compartment. Axles, like I mentioned before are all Q-tip dowels...everything else is straight out of the box so to speak. I can't wait to get my fingers into the engine parts so see ya in a bit!

Ron

B-Manic
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
It has been interesting, there are just so many great build threads going at the moment. The build is up to your usual high standards Ron. I look forward to following along with the entire build.

Zathros
12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
It is so perfect that I thought it was a computer rendered photo. Incredible!

Bomarc
12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Amazing Ron. Those hex nuts make me dizzy just looking at them. I can't imagine cutting them all out!

Also congrats on the diploma (I finally read the entire thread).

Good on 'ya!

Mike

Clashster
12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Great work, Ron! Inspiring me to start looking a little more at my Halinski kits.... Might have to do one for my next build! Enjoying watching you put it together!

Jim Nunn
12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Jim, that Q-tip idea is just perfect!

Ron,

The little tutorial on making rods is some thing that I have been meaning to post for quite a while. When you got to the point of making the torsion bars I thought that it was time to get off my duff and do it. I am glad it helped.

Jim Nunn

Ron0909
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi all

Sorry not much going on tonight except for one of the intake fans. It's a module in itself so it thankfully took away from the hull for a little bit. Assembly is pretty straight forward with about 15-17 parts. The fan blades are a simple disk with slits cut into it. This didn't look good at all to me so I pulled a Bomarc and chopped it up into itty bitty pieces and made a real fan :) Now the module has increased to about 37 parts. Sadly the detail below it will never be seen again. Cutting those axles was a good experience and I learned a lot. I could leave the fans loose but it would look like poop so I glued it down. I'm still building the 2nd fan and the fuel tank so I'll show some pics tomorrow when they are done. Thanks for the kind words everyone. Being able to share it with friends makes it all that much better!

Have a good night!
Ron

Clashster
12-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Fan looks awesome! Since you took a picture, we'll all know it's in there!

Ron0909
12-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks Chris! I couldn't help but get one last pic posted. I tried to get at my last post before the edit period ran out but no luck....no big deal at all just the second fan unit, less the fan. It really balances things out :) I promise... nothing more until it's semi-substantial

'Night again

Ron

Ron0909
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi guys

The ventillation fans just didn't look right in the end so I re-built them. This time around the blades actually extend out close to the housing walls as they should and they look symetrical. I'm glad they're done with, as doing something more than twice sucks :) On to bigger (or smaller) and better...

Have a good night

Ron

redhorse
12-14-2009, 11:26 PM
That's an excellent job on those fans!! These Halinski armor kits are just great. One day I'll get up the courage to build one, but it sure is fun following your build in the meantime.

Paperwarrior
12-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Wow! You are doing an amazing job!
I cannot wait to see more!

Ron0909
12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks you two :) I'm really happy folks are watching as it definitely makes me ignore the problems of the day and keep building. Today was a good one as I actually completed the &*&^%$ fuel tank. It's made from 1 main piece cut, scored and folded in multiple places with 2 additional smaller pieces added to create grief. This piece was wrong. No BS...I made the final from a scan after trying this thing out no less than 7 times with 2 modifications done in Photoshop. If anyone attempts to build this one I'd really like to compare notes. Anyways, the finished piece was worth the effort. I think it looks pretty neat :) More tomorrow!

Ron

Clashster
12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Looks great, Ron! Almost there!!:D

Ron0909
12-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Hi guys

Just a bit of a start on the engine block and air filters. Building aircraft for all these years really had me believing that armor was inelegant and coarse. I was sorely mistaken. Considering what goes into one of these beasts engineering wise.....Anyways, it's had me thinking of a modern day cavalry equipped with helicopters and tanks instead of the old days of horses and towed field pieces. Enough of my rambling thoughts....today was a slow one with just the beginings of the engine. The amount of parts that goes into just the engine is crazy. So far we're probably at around 15 with a whack more to go. Fit is near perfect as long as I pay attention to lamination thicknesses. This kit uses 3 different lamination thicknesses along with plain paper and heavy stock. Tomorrow should have the engine completed and then I get to finish off all those tricky suspension pieces. I can hardly wait to get to the outside of this beast!

Nite all
Ron

Ron0909
12-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry guys...just a small engine update that seemed to use a zillion parts but didn't result in big changes :) Remember I said 'should be done the engine tomorrow'? Nope... the more I look, the more pieces I see. I swear...there are almost more parts in an engine that will probably be only 20% visible at best than in some aircraft models I've built. Anyways...more tomorrow :)

good night all :)

Ron

B-Manic
12-18-2009, 09:45 AM
The engine looks great Ron. Its the little fiddly bits that give a model realism. Yours is looking very real.

jagolden01
12-18-2009, 12:36 PM
... I swear...there are almost more parts in an engine that will probably be only 20% visible at best than in some aircraft models I've built. Anyways...more tomorrow :)

good night all :)

Ron

Ron, the engine looks great. I have the same problem on the GPM 1:16 Panzer III. So much of it will be hidden. I'm going to try to make some sub-assemblies removable so the engine can be appreciated (even if only by me).

Ron0909
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement :) I'm going to have all of the hatches open where possible. The beauty of this machine is that the entire center is opened up for the winch.
Back to building my monster!

Ron

Ron0909
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Finally finished this blasted engine and got it installed! This kit has *2* of them. The idea being the 2nd is to be used as a prop. I think I'll find something else :) The build was pretty straight forward and actually a lot of fun. I keep asking myself why I haven't tackled a tank before this :) The pics are just the engine from a few different angles and then finally installed. The drive part lands dead center of the hole in the bulkhead. Amazing engineering!

All the best everyone
Ron

Ron0909
12-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Just a quick question.....
Did I do something wrong here? I swear..3 days building an engine all the while taking pics and doing the best I can so that my best representation possible is displayed here for everyone to see. Not one response or question. I'm too old to be looking for attaboys and smoke blown up my arse but at least a lttle feedback would be welcome. Are my builds that crappy? Is my writing bad? I've noticed this here for other folks that build their hearts out to share things and not a response either. I'll tell ya something..the old community was never like this and I'm not talking about Zealot either for you guys that think online cardmodeling life began there.
I'm gonna take this elsewheres and yes, I hope the door slams me on the way out. It would be about the only positive thing I've seen lately here.
Merry Christmas
Ron

redhorse
12-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Just a quick question.....
Did I do something wrong here? I swear..3 days building an engine all the while taking pics and doing the best I can so that my best representation possible is displayed here for everyone to see. Not one response or question. I'm too old to be looking for attaboys and smoke blown up my arse but at least a lttle feedback would be welcome. Are my builds that crappy? Is my writing bad? I've noticed this here for other folks that build their hearts out to share things and not a response either. I'll tell ya something..the old community was never like this and I'm not talking about Zealot either for you guys that think online cardmodeling life began there.
I'm gonna take this elsewheres and yes, I hope the door slams me on the way out. It would be about the only positive thing I've seen lately here.
Merry Christmas
Ron

Well, I for one hope you don't quit posting this build here, I've enjoyed it greatly so far. I know that I personally have not been as active on the forums lately as I'd like, but my job's become much busier as the economy went downhill. The work didn't go away, just some of the people who used to do it unfortunately for all of us.

I am looking forward to the tracks, hope you post them!

CharlieC
12-21-2009, 04:00 PM
I've been busy on another project and haven't been paying attention. I think your engine/engine bay came out really well. I particularly liked what you did with the fans.

I wonder if Halinski was thinking about a diorama with another Panther when they designed the Bergepanther - as in "engine change in 1/25". The Maybach engines were notorious for a short service life. The French Army used Panthers after WW2 and noted that the engines required change out every 200km or so. This wasn't so much of a problem since the Wehrmacht used trains to move their armour over long distances.

The winch on the Bergepanther looks pretty challenging as well. Just in case you want/need a reference on the winch there's one on AMMS Brisbane (http://www.ammsbrisbane.com/reference/bergepanther_winch.html) - this is the winch at Saumur. I'm not entirely sure why the guy turned it into a walkaround but it's there.

Regards,

Charlie

B-Manic
12-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Nothing wrong going on here Ron the engine looks fantastic. I wish I could build like that. I think everyone is busy, it being that time of year combined with the number of high quality builds. Keep posting, we will catch up.

BTW love the close-up pictures.

Merry Christmas
~Douglas

Although composed in sunshine - no smoke was blown anywhere during the composition of this post)

dansls1
12-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Engine looks great! Was running late and didn't get a chance to check out all the threads this morning, so this is my first chance to see it and reply myself. Please don't feel offended - the model is extremely clean and gorgeous regardless of response ;)

30-06
12-21-2009, 11:45 PM
This is really coming along nicely - I have the GPM PzKpfw IV G in work - there's alot to the interior - watching your engine build inspired me to get back to building it - not blowin' smoke up yer arse - got no matches to start the fire :o)
Gregor

Ron0909
12-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Sorry about the rant guys. It's been one of those days. It's just nice to see discussions going on every once in awhile and a little feedback (negative is even welcome or we can never get better). The Begpanther is sitting patiently waiting for the remainder of it's axles to be installed. I need to hit the hardware store to buy some 14 Awg copper wire. I think the standard Romex electrical wire will do stripped down, cut and painted. What do you guys think? I'm not a purist so paper isn't really mandatory

have a good night :)
Ron

Tim Crowe
12-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Go for it. I use wire or wooden dowels all the time. I find trying to roll small diameters in paper a complete pain.

Currently using 2mm aluminium wire for my Kubelwagen.

Keep posting, just because there are no responses doesn't mean there is no interest.

Tim

shrike
12-22-2009, 07:16 AM
It's not you Ron, I think it's either a seasonal thing, or perhaps just a coincidence. I've noticed posts in general are down just a little. Everyone is a feeling a little more distracted than usual maybe.
Hell, I've got a build and build-thread going, but I feel like I've run into a brick wall.

Just like Carl's pre-dreadnoughts, just because no one is posting comments doesn't mean they aren't following along in appreciative silence.

On the wire front, if you have to go to the hardware store anyway, get bare grounding wire, it'll save a step in stripping. To straighten, put one end in a vice, grip the other end with plier (locking if available) and pull until you feel it 'give'. You'll have nice straight sections to work with.

B-Manic
12-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Ron - 1739 views of this thread.

Rolled paper, wire, wood dowel, lollipop stick, bamboo rod. There are a lot of options but, if you are not using paper, why not use styrene rods? They come in lots of different diameters, are easy to cut, cheap, easy to paint, easy to come by and, unlike copper or other metals do not corrode.

rockpaperscissor
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Your Bergepanther is coming along with speed and precision, Ron. This is my first visit to the thread and I'm blown away. Despite my being logged on to the forum nearly...well, always, I've managed to peek in to see what's going on very infrequently over the past month or so. I envy your skill, perseverance, and ambition. I'd wish I had to stick-to-it-iveness to take on something like a Halinski armor kit, but models with part counts that run into triple digits and beyond are pretty much beyond my attention span and need for instant gratification. So, I'll be watching with interest even if I don't chime in with comments all that often.

georgerutherford1861
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Ron,

Not being able to build too much on my side, and not having been at it too long, I am not typically one to post much (I can't stick my foot in my mouth if I keep my mouth shut). I will say that your build threads are always magnificent (I drooled all over the Albatros you finished previously) and I very much appreciate them - even if I don't post to them.

This Bergepanther looks very intimidating - for armor, when I get there (I am stuck on WWI aviation at the moment), I'll probably stay with 1/72 scale, even if that means scaling some models down and leaving off some of the detail bits off. I do not mean to hijack the thread, but I would love to find some Cold War armor models available digitally out there (they may be there, I confess I haven't done much looking). M60s, early model T-80s (I have seen an updated T-64 out there as well as a T-62).

Anyway, great build! I look forward to more.

Doug

Clashster
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey Ron - I have usually used wood dowels, but styrene rods seem even easier. Wire seems like might have a consistancy problem... then again, I have never tried it, so I probably shouldn't speak. BTW - been following your thread closely (I wish I had your speed and ability), but was visiting my fiancee (four hours away) and she is one of those crazies who doesn't have a computer.... Great work on the engine!

Jim Nunn
12-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Ron,

Don’t worry we are watching, were just out of superlatives right now,

With the very nicely detailed engine have given any consideration to opening up the rear engine deck to show off the engine? I could send you photos of how I did this on the Panther If you want them just let me know.

Jim Nunn

Ron0909
12-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi guys
I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas :) Nothing much going on here with the Bergepanther today except for a couple simple boxes. Thank you all for the suggestions in regard to the axle material. I'd love to use styrene! Ottawa has a serious lack of hobby shops and almost anything I need in that department needs to be ordered online. I'll be going with the bare grounding wire (Thanks Shrike). I was an electrician for 15 years and it totally slipped me..DOH!! I wasn't looking for kind words or anything of that nature even though I always appreciate them :) I just wanted to see some dialogue going on. Jim, I'd love to see how you did yours. Maybe you could show it here? I'm positive we'd all like to see how you did it. This Christmas was good to me. The fat elf brought me a new cutting mat twice the size of my old one (the old one is now in 4x6 inch pieces used as mats for my punches) and a magnifying lamp. Seeing in real natural light is such a treat as is the magnification! There is a warning not to leave the cover open in the sunlight. Ants beware! I'm kidding :) Even the photos look so much more natural. Anyways...it's 2:05am and I better call it a night
Happy new year everyone!
Ron

NOBI
12-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Ron...very neat work, my friend...

Happy Christmas :)

Clashster
12-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Nice clean mat, Ron! Can't wait to watch you score it up! The Bergepanther looks great - seems you could just do the interior and have a model in itself!

B-Manic
12-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice xmas loot Ron. That engine compartment sure looks good.
Whenever I am in Ottawa I try to check out The Hobby Centre Store Info The Hobby Centre Online (http://hobcen.wordpress.com/store-hours-and-contact-info/) .They have all sorts of goodies.

whulsey
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Finally catching up on pages of unread threads and just went through your engine build. Excellent. As good as you did the one going in the beastie, if there's another with the kit maybe really superdetail it with all the little hidden widgets and such. Then as someone suggested having it set up like its getting uncrated to do an engine change. Of course this is coming from a model car builder whose favorite part is the engine.

Ron0909
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Happy New Year everyone :)
I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday! I finally got up the nerve
to start the axles on this beast. Believe me.....there are many and that's an understatement! My first problem as I mentioned before was a suitable material to make them with. I scoped out the places I could here in Ottawa and settled on the 14 awg. copper wire I was mumbling about before. The local hardware store didn't have the bare grounding wire but it was a simple matter of stripping the insulation off what I had. Styrene would be perfect for this but again it was a matter of availability. After I straightened the stuff and cut the pieces to length, I needed to figure out a way of making copper look like steel. At first a black permanent marker and then the trusty silver sharpie gave the copper a perfect grey blue steel look. I had made the axle supports before but they were not as accurate as I needed them to be I took the time to do it right. Using that little trick of using a piece of transparent material to act as a guide for the hole punch worked like a charm! In the end, the holes lined up and the assembly went together nicely. The last 2 pics show the entire assembly placed inside the panther. It's gonna need a bit of trimming but I think it will work out ok. Luckily there's a winch and a whack o' other stuff going in on top of the axles so all the mistakes will not be too apparent :) Tomorrow I'll trim the metal and see what I can do to glue the mess down

Night all!
Ron

B-Manic
01-04-2010, 11:50 PM
The axles look great Ron. I'm glad the transparent punch idea guide worked for you. What did you colour the wire with?

Ron0909
01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm glad the transparent punch idea guide worked for you. What did you colour the wire with? That transparent guide idea is the best! It's perfect as you can see exactly where you need to be and you don't scratch the surrounding paper sliding the punch around. The color was an accident. I tried a black sharpie first and it had a bluish tint so I hit it with the silver sharpie. Now it looks like tempered steel :) I got lucky as I really had no idea what to color the copper with as acrylics didn't stick too well

Bomarc
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Axels looks great Ron. I love happy accidents like you had with coloring the copper. Now you can do it on purpose the next time.

How did you get the wire so straight? Kevin Stephens showed me his trick by rolling the wire between two flat surfaces (he used a file on a table top), and it came out laser straight. But that was thin wire, the wire you used looks much thicker and harder.

Mike

P.S. Transparent guide? Is that made of transparent aluminum?

Barry
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Put it in a vice pull it straight then twist it half a turn to set it

Ron0909
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mike :) The wire is 14 awg (American Wire Gauge). It's 'romex' or the typical plastic insulated stuff used in most N.American homes. I straightened it out by hand at first and then did as you said and put it between 2 surfaces and rolled. In this case it was 2 pieces of my chopped up old cutting mat with a lot of pressure while rolling. It's not perfect but in the short segments here it turned out ok. I just finished trimming it up and it fits pretty good now. The wire is just a tad smaller in diameter than called for so I need to color in the tiny white circles where the axles are meant to attach. It's crappy work but someone's gotta do it :). Ill post a few pics later on tonight. Barry, I just saw your post and hurried back to say thank you for the tip! I'll remember it for sure when I grab a vice. This apartment dwelling doesn't allow for many of the good things that that are important in life (or so my wife dictates)

Ron

rickstef
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
It's crappy work but someone's gotta do it :).
Ron

And I know I can get away with this comment.

You are just the man for the job too
:D:D

Rick

Ron0909
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Rick I deserved that one! I put my foot in real hard and stepped in it all at the same time :)

rickstef
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it was big enough to drive a Dakar race truck through it too

Ron0909
01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Ok guys..all kidding finally aside (RICK:))
The axles are in and now finally onto something else. This whole assembly was a little daunting but just sticking to it and paying attention to accuracy made it all work out. When I saw it done on the Chinese forum, I almost crap*ed my drawers but it ain't bad at all.

More in a bit :)
Ron

birder
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow! Theres another reason right there why I havn't built any armor:) Looks cool though!

Clashster
01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Amazing, Ron! I have been thinking about this thread the last couple of days, and now it's back! Awesome! Giving me some great hints for when I decide to start this one. Thanks!

redhorse
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Those axles look great, I'm glad you lucked onto that coloring technique! I'm going to use that...

Ron0909
01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys :) Now this beast is getting really interesting. I'm starting on the drive console / clutch assemblies. Talk about mechanical linkages! When it's completed you'll be able to see how the linkages actually worked to set this thing in motion. I've always wondered about tank drive systems so it's really nice getting a chance to build one from paper. Not much in the pics other than the beginnings of the stuff I was talking about along with a working platform and some structural stuff

More tomorrow

Good night all :)

Ron

Clashster
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Great way to wake up, Ron! This continues to impress!

Grizley
01-07-2010, 08:12 AM
See now these are the kinds of models I look at and say to myself " WHY CAN'T I BE THAT AWESOME!" :D That is a stunningly detailed build Ron, I will assuredly be following this thread to completion.

Ron0909
01-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Hi All :)

Sorry about being scarcely around here lately. There hasn't been all that much modeling time. I need to find work after being off for almost 3 years due to work injuries. The good news is I *can* go back to work. Just can't work construction any longer. Let's see if those MS certs will do what they all said they would :) The Bergepanther continues to frustrate but it's coming along slowly. I just know I'm buggering things up royally but thankfully it will mostly be hidden! I will admit that I might have bitten off more than I can chew but I WILL FINISH IT! These pics are still the clutch assembly but it's almost complete. Along with the engine this thing should be a model in itself!
Tomorrow night will have the clutch completed and then onto the winch!

Have a good night everyone and Voltron, when you get a bit more time in the hobby, you'll be pickin' this build apart like a pro!
Ron

redhorse
01-14-2010, 09:27 AM
That looks just incredible!! I love the detail of this one.

KCStephens
01-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Fabulous work on the Bergepanther! Good luck with the job hunting...things are tough out there right now...I decided to go back to school full time last year after being laid myself.

rockpaperscissor
01-14-2010, 10:10 AM
What a beauty! Your craftsmanship continues to amaze and inspire me.

Bomarc
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
I decided to go back to school full time last year after being laid myself.

Hmmmm....maybe I should go back to school! :)

Ron, it's looking great! I'm impressed by all the detail Halinski crams into their armor kits.

Mike

Clashster
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Great work, Ron! The detail is incredible and you are really doing this one justice! Glad to hear you will finish this one! Looking forward to it! Awesome!

Ron0909
01-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the good luck wishes and the encouragement :) The Bergepanther's clutch n' stuff is finally done! Halinski even provided for glazed instument panels :) I don't know how much of this I got right but after holding the instructions up to the magnifier, I think it's all in place. The shots are all just the assemblies from different angles with the last just in there for an idea of how small this stuff is. We have a seat, the winch assembly and a few odds and ends to go then this beast can finally get some armor plate :) I know it's a long ways off but I'm starting to think about the next model to take on. Tackling one of the hardest, least familiar kits possible sure killed my builder's block. I'm thinking ship of some sort as I've never ever gotten beyond the bulkheads of any of the ones attempted. Early steam with lots of guns has my attention :)

Have a good night everyone
Ron

dansls1
01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Coming along splendidly!

Clashster
01-17-2010, 09:32 AM
What a great build, Ron! Your work leaves me speechless! AWESOME!

Ron0909
01-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi all,

Just a minor update with an added bulkhead/support/brace with moveable (I should say folding) small platforms! Halinski makes a kit that just keeps on givin'. I got a little snap happy tonight with the camera as I hadn't taken the panther out of it's foam block for some time. I had forgotten what it looked like and I can see it starting to look like a tank. Documenting this build in English is important to me as I've only seen it done in Chinese and Polish hence all the pics. Believe it or not, it's actually starting to weigh something for just paper and a bit of wire. Really neat :)

Night folks

Ron

Tim Crowe
01-19-2010, 02:08 AM
An incredible level of detail. This build thread keeps getting better and better.

Tim

Bomarc
01-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Kickin' butt Ron. Nicely crafted.

Mike

Papercut
01-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Most excellent build, like your clean building skill and the use of the copper wire colored w/ Sharpie's is one of those ideas that you say, "why did I not think of that". Look forward to more of this build.:DRick

Ron0909
01-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys!
Sorry I haven't been posting too often with all the job hunting going on. I was wondering if architectural firms still build models. That would be a very cool job indeed:) I *did* actually get a tad done on the beginnings of the winch system. I'll tell ya...it sure is nice to switch up colors. As with everything that Halinski does, it's engineered to the mammalian protuberances! I'll be searching for some fishing leader wire to thread and wrap through the winch when it's done. Maybe I'll be able to hoist my 4lb Chihuahua teenager off the cat when he's feeling randy:D

Ron

redhorse
01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Too busy to check in that often, good to see some excellent progress here! And good luck with the job search.

dmondark
01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
This is just stunning Ron. That's just to say the least. Perfectly done.
You have no idea how all of this looks from a biggener's perspective. The fans, axles and the nuts?! Just wow :eek:

Clashster
01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the update, Ron! I'm getting my Halinski non-air fix through you! Awesome work!

Tim Crowe
01-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Great pics - lovely clean build.

Keep it up.

Tim

Ron0909
01-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks again for the kind words guys :) Just a quick progress shot on the winch system. This thing is made up of 19 former pieces plus skins! For the most part, I cut them all up (the skins) to make for better edges. I've come to really enjoy coloring the edges as I find it a challenge matching colors, rust etc. It really turns the things from paper to steel, rust and paint :) The pics are just the winch drive housing as it's coming along. Again, the last pic is just an overview for scale etc. What's weird with this kit is that I have found small errors here and there that I wouldn't normally associate with Halinski kits. Everything has been repairable as it's usually a case of things being too big or too long. It's always better lookin' at it than for it I always say! I guess it's pretty difficult to model all this detail without a few minor mistakes. At least it's all on the inside.

Have a good night!
Ron

Jim Nunn
01-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Ron,

Your build just gets better and better.

Jim Nunn

Ron0909
01-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Jim, thanks for that ! I don't know if I should be posting pics as of yet however, if they get lost with the reparation of the database, it will be easy enough to post 'em again. The first half (winch's drive) is pretty much complete. There is probably the same amount again for the next half. This model is insane! The piping is sharpie colored copper wire once again and the rest is all paper, card and cardboard. Nothing much more to blab on about but I should find more tomorrow :)

redhorse
01-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Excellent, the pics came through and look great! I still can't get over how good that sharpie works on the copper.

Clashster
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Beautiful work, Ron. Excellent job on the edge coloring. If I didn't know it was paper, I probablly wouldn't believe you! Again, AWESOME!

Ron0909
02-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Thankfully I'm a slow builder and didn't lose very much at all :) This winch is finally completed and I bet you guys are probably as happy as I am to not hear about it any longer! The gears were done from 2mm card and worn down a bit with a couple different colors of acrylic paint. Cutting them wasn't all that difficult as I took a cue from our friend Mike (Bomarc) and custom made a sub 1mm chisel blade to help out a bit. The blade was a plain Olfa hobby blade chopped with cutting wheels on the Dremel rotary tool. The entire winch is removable so I will 'remove' it later on to thread some steel fishing leader wire (when I can find a long piece) onto the spools to emulate steel cable. The last pics are just the winch in place and the outer skin resting on top for a look-see.

I had a few questions for you armor pro's.
a) How do you adhere the large outer skins? I don't want to bugger things up after so much time spent on the innards?
B) Is there something I should be aware of when I start building the suspension? Should I beef it up a bit?

Papercut
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Hello Ron, most excellent workmanship. I have looked at this kit for some time and had not realized just hoe detailed it really was. Look forward to more.:DRick

shrike
02-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Look for a beading supply / craft store. You can get 7 and 7x19 and 49 strand stainless cable in .6 mm and smaller sizes. Also available here (http://www.firemountaingems.com/accuflex.asp?navsrc=2).

Clashster
02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Incredible work, Ron! It such a shame to cover up all that work with the skins!!

Ron0909
02-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys :) Shrike, that beading wire idea is perfect. Imagine that...7x19 strand in sub-mm diameters! That's almost like the real thing. I'm hoping that the plastic coating will come off as easily as normal insulation on electronic type wire. If not, black or clear will be good too :) Chris, there is as much goodness on the outside as the inside of this kit. Block and tackle, an engine block, jerry cans, removable side paneling around the winch and on and on. Speaking of which...back to the mat

Talk soon
Ron

Bomarc
02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Ron, it looks more spectacular with every post!

Now you get to enjoy the forever questioning: "How can you cover up all that work?" Get used to it. But the modelers spirit in you knows better, yes?

Not to be redundant with my usual sig line but, "Please to continue, my friend!"

Mike

Ron0909
04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone,

It's been some time since I've done something even remotely productive. My workman's compensation payments have been reduced to next to nothing since my schooling ended so I've been stressing a lot and desperately looking for work. Please excuse my multiple starts on various kits that have all sort of stalled and the pm's that have gone unanswered. On a brighter note, I've gotten some of the lead out and actually brought the 'Bergie' out of hiding and did some work.
I think I've gone as far as I'm going to go on the *inside* of Bergepanther. I have a few pipes to place in the engine compartment and some gun supports on the inside of the front end when it gets added but nothing that can't be done later. I can finally say it's ready to close up :) It's been quite the ride and definitely worth the effort! Here are the final pics before she gets closed up...
I'll post more pictures when the outer hull gets started

Ron

B-Manic
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
The interior looks amazing Ron. Well worth the wait. Good luck with the job hunt.

cotlet
04-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Impressive. Can't wait for more updates!

Bomarc
04-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Glad you blew the dust off this one Ron. Looks stunning, and the precision of your build is stellar.

Mike

redhorse
04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Great work there on the details, good to see some more pictures! And good luck on your job hunt!

Ron0909
04-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks a million for all of your comments guys. I'm scared to close this all up as I'm worried about the outside skin fitting. It's Halinski so I'll put my faith there! I've found so many job postings but times are rough and the competition is fierce. If any of you fellow Canadians know of any openings, let me know :)

Ron

kenlwest
04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Ron,

Good to see you back! Go ahead and close the lid - your quality build ensures that everything will fit. Between your skills and the Halinski design, what can go wrong?? :)

Ken

Ron0909
04-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Ok guys...time to pay the piper :) The beast is closed up now and I've started on the outer skin. It all went together almost as advertised. One of the internal bulkheads was a slight bit too high but I don't think it will be too noticeable in the end (fingers crossed). I had already started gluing one end of the top plate down and it was pretty set so ripping it up again was a no-go. The first pic is just the entire shell glued together with the internal edges painted. The next pic is just me checking the fit of the top skin as I go. The last 2 images are again just checking fit. I jumped ahead of myself and made a hatch to see how it would look. I need to confess my sins....the rear fans have a intricate grating that is thick and needed to be cut from the top bulkhead. I tried 2 times to get it right and then had my epiphany. Why not cut out the damn grating later from separate pieces? I cut out the 4 areas and hopefully will find it much easier to work on them separately and then glue the pieces back in. The top skin looks like the originals were separately made plates anyways. It also saves me from killing more blades doing the entire top over and over again.

More to come soon :)
Goodnight all
Ron

cgutzmer
04-11-2010, 07:39 AM
looks awesome! thanks for the pics, especially appreciate the one that shows how you painted it up :)

Bomarc
04-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Well, you gone and done it now! How's it feel to see all that great work (mostly) disappear?

It looks terrific Ron, really coming along. I know it's still early in the game, but have you thought about the treads yet? Are they all individual? I don't envy that task.

Mike

Ron0909
04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys :)
Mike, its sucks to cover it all up but if you really look close the hints that it's all there
are visible. Yep the tracks are a zillion pieces which should drive me pleasantly nuts, along with the umpteen parts that make up the wheels. I thought about buying laser cut tracks but money is tight and 1mm cardboard is free and plentiful :) I'm so poor I can't pay attention (I know... bad one) Chris, I'm taking as many pics as I can as I go along
in higher resolution so that when I submit them for a certain mysterious publication, there will be lots to choose from :)

Ron

Ron0909
04-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Let the skinning begin!

I know....this ain't that exciting right? The top skin was all one piece with the side plates requiring a long straight score and bend. Unfortunately my framework wasn't as accurate as I had hoped for and I was off by roughly a millimeter right where the bend needed to be. The only solution was a cut and trim. The top is on with the edges painted and I think it worked out ok. Gluing it down was mistakenly done with a gluestick. A few minutes after it set, it started to lift off on all the edges. I think I learned my lesson and glued all the loose edges down with regular glue. As some kind soul here had mentioned before, just spot glue it first and then work around the edges. I'm also thinking that the paint I used wasn't porous at all and the silly gluesticks need a porous material to bond with.

Anyways...I was just a bit excited so I shot a couple pics.
Ron