PDA

View Full Version : 1:32 Regulus

APA-168
12-06-2009, 06:38 PM
A couple of people suggested this one, so here goes. So far represents about half an hour of work. Got some nice drawings and plenty of good reference pics. I think this one would be really fun to print on glossy cardstock. Also makes a nice change of pace for me after all the big rockets and ships I've been doing lately a nice simple project is just the thing.

Wyvern
12-07-2009, 08:22 AM
That'll be an impressive model in 1:32!

Glad to see you back.

Wyvern

APA-168
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks Wyvern, it's nice to be back designing again. Not that I ever really stopped! Just slowed down a bit. :)

Darwin
12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing this one take shape. Are you going to include a launcher?

SJPONeill
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Are you going to include a launcher?

Something like the USS Growler or Grayback...? :eek:

cdavenport
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Wow! You must not have a love interest to have so much time to devote to the whims of your devoted followers!

I can't wait to see this one!

Will the model have internal bulkheads and longerons? If not, is it possible to add a pdf 3-view in scale for those of us who would like an internal structure?

What do you want for Christmas?

APA-168
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Updated, got the intake area finished, wingtips and tail on. I will be doing some sort of launcher, possibly like the one on display at the Air&Space museum's Udvar-Hazey center. Looks simple enough to design and shouldn't be too hard to build either. I WOULD like to do Growler and Grayback, but perhaps a wee bit smaller than 1:32 :D

Wow! You must not have a love interest to have so much time to devote to the whims of your devoted followers!

I can't wait to see this one!

Will the model have internal bulkheads and longerons? If not, is it possible to add a pdf 3-view in scale for those of us who would like an internal structure?

What do you want for Christmas?

1. Truer than you'd ever know... :D

2. Thanks, glad you're excited!

3. There will be an internal structure of some sort, haven't figured out exactly what kind yet. Bulkheads at least, possibly some sort of stringer/frame assembly. I'll have to do a couple of test builds as see what works and what doesn't. Of course, if you'd like to do a test build or two, you're welcome to it! I'm more used to ships/rockets and am still figuring out this winged-thingy business. I can and probably will include a 3-view no matter what. :)

4. a car?? :D

Now, question time. Looking at my reference photos, it seems that in most photos of operation Regulus missiles, the body of the missile is smooth and glossy with no rivets/seams apparent. However, looking at photos of the Regulus on display at the Air & Space in VA, you can clearly see rivets all over the place. Obviously, the quality of the photos is better, but also perhaps it isn't maintained as frequently as is by this point 50+ years old. Also, looking at photos of the Regulus on display aboard Growler, there are some rivets visible on the back end of the missile, but not some many on the wings and nose end. So my question is, is it worth it to add rivets? Or is better (and maybe more accurate) to portray the fuselage as a smooth surface? Opinions?

shrike
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
From a purely artistic point of view, I say add the rivets. Paper models, to an even greater extent than other media, rely on the impression of greater surface detail than may actually exist.

cdavenport
12-09-2009, 10:43 PM
4. a car?? :D

So, it's car you want? Please PM your shipping address to me. I'll take care of it. Just call me Santa Chuck!

cdavenport
12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
So my question is, is it worth it to add rivets? Or is better (and maybe more accurate) to portray the fuselage as a smooth surface? Opinions?

if you are going to add rivets, be restrained. I prefer that you do not add them at all. Remember that in 1/32 scale, the model simulates a viewer's experience from dozens of feet away. I would have to have the exact size of the real/scale article to do the calculation. But.....

The short story is this: You have to be very close to an airplane to see the rivet detail unless they are of the raised variety. We usually see rivets on museum aircraft because the small imperfections caused by the riveting process act as reflectors for camera flashes. If you don't believe me, compare images of the same aircraft at a similar distance shot outdoors under natural light and indoors with flash.

Also, air vehicles do not have black lines wrapped around them. If you want to do panel lines, thin lines in shades of grey are appropriate as long as they do not diverge greatly from the overall contrast of the finish. Therefore, white lines are as inappropriate on a dark finish as black lines are on a light finish.

Wyvern
12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree with the Major; rivets should be restrained and in the same color, or a VERY slight contrast, to the base color.

Wyvern

shrike
12-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm afraid I still fall into the 'Rivets Add Texture' camp, although I do agree that they need to be somewhat restrained and harmonious.

ct ertz
12-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Lay it out both ways and do both! Options are good.

CT

APA-168
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
That might be what I'll end up doing CT :)

Finished with the basic CAD and JATO bottles, so now to begin texturing and unfolding. Would've been faster except my hard drive died again (I'm on my third one :eek: )

Wyvern
01-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, Avery. Computers problems can drive a man to drink.

Wyvern

Darwin
01-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Wyvern, computers don't drive a man to drink...that's the purpose of a designated driver.

SJPONeill
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear that, Avery. Computers problems can drive a man to drink.

Wyvern

Funny old thing, it was drinking problems that drove me to computers - had to find something to keep me busy when I gave up drinking...Apple to Amiga to PC...into gaming and would up here in a quarter century journey...

cdavenport
01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm lucky. Drinking is not a problem; it's a pleasure! The fun part comes when I try to type after downing a few. My fingers glide effortlessly and aimlessly over the keys.

willygoat
01-06-2010, 11:02 PM
I think aimlessly is the key word there :p

APA-168
01-09-2010, 09:59 PM
lol!

Well, as a sort of a compromise I am doing panel lines and no rivets. I think it adds just the right amount of texture. Plus, I've seen panel lines (VERY faintly, in hi-res pics) but never rivets on operational missiles (preserved examples are a different story altogether) Hopefully more or less everyone will be pleased. ;)

Finished unfolding, now texturing and exporting to Inkscape. Not too long now!

Retired_for_now
01-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Aviation rivets are usually close fitting and flush headed - so you wouldn't expect them to be obvious unless the surface is unpainted or the photo is very close/detailed. Depending on the tolerances needed (smooth surface equals less drag, more speed/range) you might not see very closely fitting panels either (but they are there on metal air-machines). I'd say go for the look that pleases you in matching the reference material.

Yogi

Wyvern
01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
lol!

Well, as a sort of a compromise I am doing panel lines and no rivets. I think it adds just the right amount of texture. Plus, I've seen panel lines (VERY faintly, in hi-res pics) but never rivets on operational missiles (preserved examples are a different story altogether) Hopefully more or less everyone will be pleased. ;)

Finished unfolding, now texturing and exporting to Inkscape. Not too long now!

That's looking real sharp, Avery! I for one will buy and build this missile.

Wyvern

APA-168
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for comments guys! I really do appreciate it :)

Finished all the parts, now on to numbering and instructions...my favorite... :rolleyes: Hope to have it finished and released next week. Then on to my next super secret project...well, not so secret really... ;)

Wyvern
01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
A Blinder or Bounder?

Wyvern

SJPONeill
01-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd go for Bounder...I hope so because the only other one in a decent scale is the old old old MON one which goes for crazy prices if you can find one...

APA-168
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
It's the Bounder :D It'll be 1/48 scale, was going to do 32nd until I realized it would be 6' long and 3' 6" wingspan! :eek: As it is, 48 scale will make it almost 4' by 2' 6"...plenty big enough for most people I'd imagine...

SJPONeill
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
That's great news, Avery - it will look awesome alongside of Ken's Valkyrie...

Wyvern
01-18-2010, 08:30 AM
excellent; looking forward to it!

even downsized to 1/72, it'd STILL make for an impressive model.

Wyvern

APA-168
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Glad you guys are looking forward to it. :) I'll start a design thread as soon as I finish this one.

On that topic, I had hoped to finish this kit and have it released tomorrow, but I am rather sick at the moment (a bad head cold+fever) so I didn't really get any work done. :( Hopefully I can still finish this week.

APA-168
01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Just sent this one off to Chris, should be out soon. Sorry if presentation is a little lacking, I was kind of ready to be done with it so instructions are a little rough. Hopefully it builds up ok, if you run into any major problems just holler and I'll get them fixed. Although if you could point them all out at once so I don't have make Chris do more than one update ;)

Oh, and I should mention, the panel lines look clunky on screen, but they print out nice and fine. :)

HMCS
09-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Avery! I just purchase the regulus from ecard today,.. I look forward to building it soon,.. ever since I seen it at the intrepid museum its been on my mind,.. I bet you could sell a whole bunch in their gift shop

cdavenport
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Purchased the Regulus from ECard. Thanks for your excellent work!

HMCS
10-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Is it okay if I design a vertical and horizontal center keel of some sort for this model? i am scared I am gonna mess it up

HMCS
10-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I printer at work prints the blue too dark I need to lighten it up,.. then again I also print on laser paper,.. i think i should dabble with inkjets i suspect that this regulus blue is alot like a corsair blue or blue angels blue

HMCS
10-04-2011, 07:29 PM
thanks for the go ahead on the keels,.. the templates are almost done being drawn,.. whats the preference on sub structures,.. balsa?,.. cardstock/matboard/artboard?

does it really matter?

APA-168
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I might avoid balsa, as it's a bit tricky to get into a nice circle shape (it likes to split and it sands too well) and if you have access to good quality matboard/artboard like material I'd use that as a first choice. Laminated cardstock takes a bit more effort but will work just as well. When I built (but did not finish) the fuselage, I laminated the formers to cardstock until I got to a thickness of 1mm (I forget if I specified that on the instructions) and it worked fine. Just be sure to use something other than a water based adhesive if you laminate.

I'll send you that e-mail with the reference photos as soon as I can, I just keep forgetting to corral what I have on the laptop.

HMCS
10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
sweet! great advice!,.. I marked out areas for 1/16th balsa thickness,.. but i think your right, matt board might be the better way to go i was going to laminate the balsa with 6mm depron on both sides of the bulkhead and along the keels (seen a thread that did it to keep the sections from having that starving horse look) it helps maintain the orm of the skins

see that thread here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tutorials/15842-seamless-paper-model-construction.html

believe I am busy too so no worries if you cant get to the reference soon,.. I found a cut-away drawing that is big and shows the mounting bracket but at an angle,.. i suppose i could scratchbuild/draw it to a close enough shape,.. heres that image,.. it would be cool to do a cutaway model wouldnt it?

http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Regulus-I-SSM-N-8-Cutaway.gif