PDA

View Full Version : The EAA Museum Needs Our Help for its Newest Exhibit

Sakrison
12-08-2009, 04:00 AM
A new permanent exhibit at the EAA AirVenture aviation museum will include plastic, wood, and paper scale model aircraft.

Museum Director Alan Westby wants the paper models section to illustrate tools, basic techniques, and examples from WWII to the present.
He needs our help to make it happen.

The EAA Museum has given us a permanent exhibit space at no cost since 2001, and has helped us to promote our hobby to countless aviation and modeling enthusiasts. (One third of EAA’s 160,000 members are scale aircraft modelers.) The new exhibit offers us an opportunity to showcase our hobby and offers you a chance to put your work on display in one of the nation’s finest and most-visited aviation museums, located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA.

Some of models for the new exhibit will come from the popular Paper Models Exhibit that I created for the museum in 2001. That means we will need new models for that exhibit, too.

Also, for the first time, the museum will display large paper model aircraft that are too big to fit in the display cases. Plans call for mounting them on the museum wall, just out of reach. My GPM E2 Hawkeye and FlyModel C-47 will go there. And I’m working on a GPM B-17 for the exhibit. There will be room for more. Especially needed are a B-25 (any series) and a DH Mosquito, both in 1/33 scale.

Alan wants to include, as much as possible, models of full-size aircraft in the museum collection. The existing Paper Models Exhibit includes several of those but we need more. We want to include a mix of 1/33 and smaller scales.

I would like to have 10 or 15 new models to add to the exhibits. I need them by February 1, 2010; the new exhibit will open in March.

You don’t need to be a master builder.
Basic or intermediate skills are enough. I have most of the kits on the list below and I can send them to you if you will build them for the museum.

Pick a model from the list and, to avoid duplicating efforts, contact me, David Sakrison, at [email protected]. Or if you've already built one of these models and would like to display it in the museum, contact me.

The museum has been generous to us. It needs our help to launch its newest scale model exhibit. Please consider building a model over the holidays for display in Oshkosh.

Thank you,
--David

Here’s the list:

Grumman Duck
Lockheed Vega
Stinson Gullwing
Bell 13 Helicopter (MASH type)
Beech Staggerwing
Curtiss Jenny
Cessna 150/152, 172, 182
Curtiss Robin
Stinson L-5
Lockheed Vega
Ercoupe
Pietenpol AirCamper
Piper TriPacer
Piper Super Cub
GeeBee – any model
Travel Air Mystery Ship
Wedell-Williams race plane
DH Chipmunk
SNJ or T-6 Texan
Flying Flea
Pitts Special Sukhoi, Extra, or other modern aerobat
Nieuport 17
Sopwith Camel or Sopwith Pup
SPAD XIII
F4U Corsair
Me-109
P-38 (Bong’s “Marge,” if possible)
P-40 Flying Tigers
P-51 in Tuskegee Airmen markings
Ultralight "trike"
Any civilian sailplane (1/33 preferred)
One or two Rigby paper models (as published during WWII).

--End of List--

dansls1
12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
All you master modelers here - a call to arms (so to speak) to help further paper models and have them displayed in a public display.

Bomarc
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM
OOPS! Didn't read the preceeding paragraph, only saw the list. If my PBJ is done by Feb 01, it would be a miracle, but they're welcome to it if it is.

Mike

RyanShort
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
So I take it there an L-5 there at the EAA museum? Does anyone have some pictures of it?

Ryan

APA-168
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
e-mail sent... :)

hawkman67
12-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Same here; email away.
Jeff

jeanma
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
well, i have a corsair, mosquito, p40, messerchmitt made since many years but all that 1/33 model maly was printed in two picture by page...

here they are :

woops, last one is espadon (black & mortimer) sorry

billy.leliveld
12-09-2009, 04:10 AM
OOPS! Didn't read the preceeding paragraph, only saw the list. If my PBJ is done by Feb 01, it would be a miracle, but they're welcome to it if it is.

Mike

That's where it belongs...:D

Sakrison
12-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Mike
In your case, the Feb 1 deadline doesn't apply. If you can get your PBJ (the plane, not the sandwich) here by July 1, I'll get it into the museum--in a case where people can see it up close--in time for the EAA convention, when a only a few hundred thousand "wing nuts" wander through the museum.

Mike, I'm flabbergasted! Thank you so much! :D:D:D

Cheers,
--David

Bomarc
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I already PM'd you David, but I think I can swing a July 01 finish, assuming I don't have to do any more reworks!!

Pressure, oh the pressure.....:eek:

Mike

Sakrison
12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
well, i have a corsair, mosquito, p40, messerchmitt made since many years but all that 1/33 model maly was printed in two picture by page...

here they are :

woops, last one is espadon (black & mortimer) sorry
Jeanma,
The Corsair has already been claimed. I can use the Mosquito, P-40, and Messerschmitt, especially the first two. Getting them here might be a bit pricey for you--I have no budget to help pay for shipping. But if you send them, I'll use them in one or the other of the exhibits. Let me know by e-mail at [email protected].

Merci beaucoup!
--David

Sakrison
12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
So I take it there an L-5 there at the EAA museum? Does anyone have some pictures of it?

Ryan
There might be one on the museum Web site (EAA AirVenture Museum - Oshkosh, WI (http://www.airventuremuseum.org)).
If not, I'll get over and take a few for you.
--David

RyanShort
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Whoever else volunteered for the L-5, please drop me a line.

Ryan

chiawatkom
12-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Very interesting, I am pleased to join this instead of the SmithSonian hehehe.....

jeanma
12-14-2009, 06:12 AM
well, sorry but your are really too long from my home... :rolleyes:

Sakrison
12-15-2009, 12:53 AM
well, sorry but your are really too long from my home... :rolleyes:

I was afraid it might be. But you certainly get points for trying.
Merci beaucoup, mon ami! Le papier pour toujours!
--David

Retired_for_now
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
David,
Can you use any of the simpler (FG-type) versions of the models you're looking for? Any intent to expand - maybe send you a few satellite/rocket models?

Yogi (always looking for places where someone else does the dusting)

Sakrison
12-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Mike
Mike,
I attended the EAA's annual Wright Brothers Banquet this evening and shared a table with Museum Director Alan Westby. He is VERY excited about getting your PBJ. (I sent him some photos from your thread earlier this week.) He says it will definitely get a prominent place in the museum. He wants to showcase master modelers in various media and he's really excited about including a super-detailed paper model.

I will continue to work with him to put the exhibit together, to ensure that you get credit for your work and your donation.

Thank you so much!

For those of you who don't know, the EAA Museum consistently ranks as one of the top four aviation museums in the U.S.--the others are the Smithsonian's Air&Space Museum, the USAF Museum at Dayton, and the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Cheers,
--David

lepercan
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
FG B-17G. Part of combat mobile with Me-109 and P-51 (in process)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/Lepercan/FG%20Models/008-Copy.jpg

Lep

Bomarc
12-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Mike,
I attended the EAA's annual Wright Brothers Banquet this evening and shared a table with Museum Director Alan Westby. He is VERY excited about getting your PBJ. (I sent him some photos from your thread earlier this week.) He says it will definitely get a prominent place in the museum.

Hi David

I'm catching up with this forum after a long holiday and just now saw your post. Please give Mr. Westby my regards. I hope this model is what he's looking for, I mean he hasn't seen up close and personal yet....

Happy New Year!

Mike

Sakrison
01-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I hope this model is what he's looking for, I mean he hasn't seen up close and personal yet....
Various exhibits include everything from simple aircraft recognition models and out-of-the-box plastic kits to hand-crafted 1/6-scale cutaways and a 1/72 USS Enterprise.

Trust me, Mike: Based on your thread photos, your Mitchell compares well with any scale model in the museum. Alan has seen some of the photos from your thread and he is excited.
--David

mchale
01-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi where do i send the models to you or the museum

Sakrison
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi where do i send the models to you or the museum
Send them to me. See my IM.
Thanks,
--David

bob neill
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=2&f=569&fid=Sent http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=3&f=569&fid=Sent http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=4&f=569&fid=Sent http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=5&f=569&fid=Sent
It has been a busy two weeks working on the Beech Starship by Marian Aldenhovel [email protected] (http://us.mc569.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected]) for the museum. My grandson recieved a camera for Christmas, so he has risen to the test. Since this model has seating for the passengers as well as the very busy cockpit, I have had trouble stuffing those areas. I plan to have the door open and leave the cockpit crown or roof open. To see more of the cabin interior is beyond me.

bob neill

willygoat
01-10-2010, 05:20 PM
You really can't. I've got the Starship about 3/4 finished for a while now. THe formers at the end of the cabin are needed to keep the cabin profile shape. I guess the best thing to do is just not fingerprint up the windows :p

Sakrison
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=2&f=569&fid=Sent http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=3&f=569&fid=Sent http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=4&f=569&fid=Sent http://thumbp8.mail.vip.ac4.yahoo.com/tn?sid=794859782&mid=AFphxEIAAVfCS0fZnwtKvRvhKZw&midoffset=1_1083&partid=5&f=569&fid=Sent
I plan to have the door open and leave the cockpit crown or roof open.
bob neill

If you can position the door open, that's fine, but close up the cockpit roof.
Thanks,
--David

Sakrison
02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
If you offered to build a model for the EAA Museum's new exhibit, and haven't sent it yet, please contact me ASAP at [email protected].

There is still time to get models into the exhibit but the deadline is coming fast.

Thanks,
--David

bob neill
02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I trust most of the pieces of the Beech Starship have arrived, the shiping was more expensive than I expected.

bob neill

gtb -red
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
no warships huh!

Sakrison
05-19-2010, 08:42 AM
To all of you who donated models, all who offered, and everybody else:

The new scale models exhibit at the EAA Museum opened on schedule. It's very impressive. Every model that was sent to me went into the exhibit. I have lots of photos; I've been swamped with other projects and have not had time to post them. I will try hard to do that soon.

I apologize for the delay; earning a living can be such a bother sometimes.

--David

P.S.: Actually earning a living is way too much fun at the moment, even though it is keeping me chained to my desk about 23 hours a day. I've been hired to write a 4-hour video documentary for network cable TV on a significant WW2 air battle and several of its participants--American and German. (That's all I can tell you here.) Life is good--hectic, but good. :D

In the midst of all that, my daughter was just commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in the Wis Nat'l Guard--wearing one of my father's LT bars. We're very proud of her. :D:rolleyes::D

willygoat
05-19-2010, 08:56 AM
That looks so awesome!!!! I can't wait to escape to Oshkosh :D

cgutzmer
05-19-2010, 09:09 AM
congrats to your daughter and be sure to let us know when the show airs!
Chris

Sakrison
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
With the temporary (about 1 yr) Scale Models Exhibit finished, I can turn my attention back to our permanent (apparently) Paper Models Exhibit. One of our forum members asks:

"So, now that the initial rush is over are you looking for a slow trickle to refresh, update, and change out the display?"

The answer is, "Always!" If you wanted to contribute to the temporary exhibit but didn't finish a model in time, finish it and send it. I can always use new models for the permanent exhibit. (The temporary exhibit is "locked down"--no changes possible.)

You can e-mail me at [email protected] with questions about which models, how to ship them, etc. And please remember, you are donating them, not lending them.

Thanks,
--David

3Turner
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM
The exhibit looks great! I need to make a trip up there one day.

And congrats to your daughter.

RPS3
08-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Bob,

While at the EAA museum last week during AirVenture 2010, Burt Rutan pointed out your beautiful paper model of Starship NC-51. What a fantastic job you did, she's beautiful!

Best regards,
Robert Scherer
Owner/pilot Starship NC-51 (N514RS)

bob neill
08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry I was out of town when your message was sent, took several days before I could look at e-mail.

Your message is awesome, I didn't know how to respond. A suggestion was that I should say a ride would be nice, but my mother was fond of saying she would prefer to owe me somthing rather than cheating me out of it. (That is supposed to be a joke.)

We must thank David Sakrison for arranging this desplay, inviting several to participate, and make repairs after shiping. The kit was interesting to build, and can be built several ways. Every model teaches new things. I'm sorry I did not realise it was your bird. If you are interested the kit is available as Beech Starship by Marian Aldenhovel [email protected] (http://us.mc569.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected])

willygoat
08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, since I know that David and now Robert have been to the new exhibit, did either of you happen to get some nice up-close photos of the display? I've only seen the far off shots that EAA put up in their gallery.

Sakrison
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I have posted photos here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/cardboard-lounge/9498-eaa-museum-paper-models-exhibit.html#post142560

Thanks for your patience!

Enjoy!
--David