PDA

View Full Version : Geebee R1 1/33

dansls1
07-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Ok - so after muddling around with some other builds, I realized that I really want to build planes. I have the most experience with them and have always felt they were the coolest models. So, in order to get back to speed, I printed out the free GeeBee R1 from Gremirmodels.com. At this point I'd like to thank Gremir Models and the designer for allowing this model to be a free download. I'm having great fun building it.
Now - there are numerous build threads out there on this model, and I'm certainly not going to add anything to those builds - so this won't be a full build thread. I did want to post up some pic's of the cockpit, since it gets closed up pretty tight and won't really be seen once it's installed in the fuselage.

Mark_1984
07-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Neat start - This has been on my 'to do' list for a while (and will prpbably stay there for another while.... too many models, not enough time :( )

GreMir
07-16-2007, 09:24 AM
...At this point I'd like to thank Gremir Models and the designer for allowing this model to be a free download. I'm having great fun building it.....

You are most welcome.
All credit should go to the designer, Rafal Ciesielski - I only provided a bit of server space for this little gem :)

dansls1
07-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Well, ran into my first issue with this build yesterday. It was my own fault - in my haste to get started I laminated the formers too thick (about 1.5mm). Where I ran into troubles was assembling fuselage part #4. Specifically one of the rigging holes was over the former. In order to get around this, I used a straight pin and bored into the former. I then took my black thread, soaked the tip in glue and forced it into the former on both sides, gluing it into place. I think I have them sturdy enough - but I may drop a bit more glue in the hole to be sure. I cut them pretty long to be sure I can string them the rest of the way around. Sorry - no pic's, was tired and was just doing the one part before I went to bed (that's always when you run into problems, isn't it ;) ). Now I'll have a fuselage with long strings of thread hanging out. Since the one set ended up this way, I may go ahead and start the other rigging now while that piece is separate and it's easier.

member_3
07-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Ouch! Thick formers may also give you problems when installing the cockpit. It is a snug fit to start with and was difficult for me because of my slightly overthick formers ahead and behind the cockpit.

dansls1
07-17-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm hoping it won't be an issue. My plan is to glue the cockpit to the back former, cut out that section (6?), wrap the former with the joining strip , and then position the front former on the cockpit based on the front of the cockpit section. Then when that former is glued, wrap section 6, then I'll be able to wrap section 5 and then join this whole assembly with the front section. The reasons why I think this will work is 1) I can fudge the instrument section of that former since it gets cut off and 2)I'll base the position of that former off the length of the section that's wrapping it.
If I can't make it work, I may get out a single edge razor blade and shave thickness from the formers - but I'm going to dry fit everything and see if I can make it work.

member_3
07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
The procedure you describe should work. I wasn't that clever and botched my first fuselage. I have to look for that unfinished second attempt and complete it some day. :)

dansls1
07-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Update - fuselage complete. Not near perfect, but it'll do ;)
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Geebee_3.jpg
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Geebee_4.jpg

Clashster
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Nice, Dan! Looks much better than the FG Gee Bee I did years ago! Looking forward to the progress!

milenio3
07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
That's a beautiful looking plane! Keep posting the details, please!

dansls1
07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, some more progress. This picture shows that you neither need skill at building nor skill at photography to post pictures of your builds (sorry, but it's the best I could do on the pic). ;)
I did learn one thing. When assembling the pushrods I glued them to the caps then glued the assembly to the cylinders. It would have been much more consistant if I'd have done it the opposite way, glueing the caps on and inserting the pins afterwards.
She'll look ok though. It's mostly covered with the cowl afterall.
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Geebee_5.jpg

Clashster
07-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Looks good, Dan! Looks like a lot of parts!

dansls1
07-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks - each cylinder is 9 parts plus 2 pins - so over 100 pieces in the engine.

dansls1
07-30-2007, 08:47 PM
And now, further progress - she's starting to look like an airplane!
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Geebee_6.jpg
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Geebee_7.jpg
http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Geebee_8.jpg

rlwhitt
07-31-2007, 06:07 AM
It's all looking great Dan, looking forward to the finish! This was a fun plane to build.

Rick

milenio3
07-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Very good indeed in the engine! Kudos!

member_3
07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
It's coming together nicely! The engine is outstanding, regardless of your assembly sequence.

dansls1
08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Here's the cowl for around the engine. I'm pretty happy with this piece - there's no tabs or connecting strips used - it's all edge glued. (There are tabs for each piece and connecting strips for a couple joints provided, I just didn't use them ;) ).

John Bowden
08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Push rods................ somewhere and I apologize to whoever came up with it, used .5mm pencil lead......................

right size.......... not as bright as a pin, but still shiny............ and you don't stick yourself with em!

This is looking very nice....................

john

Gharbad
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Awesome cowl.
I never even knew what a cowl was before this forum, but hey, it teaches lots of junk :D

dansls1
08-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Actually these push rods are large paperclips cut down to size. they are a little over the 1mm recommendation (1.2) - but they are cheap and easy to come by ;)

Thanks for the kind words - I'm having lots of fun with this build.

rlwhitt
08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
That's a killer kowl! Kudos on the edge gluing - Carl will be proud!

Rick

Here's the cowl for around the engine. I'm pretty happy with this piece - there's no tabs or connecting strips used - it's all edge glued. (There are tabs for each piece and connecting strips for a couple joints provided, I just didn't use them ;) ).

milenio3
08-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words - I'm having lots of fun with this build.

That's the most important thing. Keep on building it! And keep posting the photos.

dansls1
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Slow going - but more progress. One wheel 'pant' complete and rigging done on one side. I've done a bunch more little stuff (wheels formed on dremel but not painted, prop assembly in progress) - but nothing else worth posting pic's.

Clashster
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Looks great, Dan! Glad to see someone who builds "slow going"!!! Nice job with the rigging....

member_3
08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Excellent build you have going there! Looks like you are in the home stretch.

rlwhitt
08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
I can totally relate to slow builds! :) And slow ones are better than none, no? It's looking great, and you're almost home.

dansls1
08-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, I can't decide if I'm done with this build or not. I finished up the cockpit last night,
which only leaves one detail. That's the 'support' pieces on the rigging (the white lines on
the rigging in this picture). Now I've cut these to shape from 1mm wire and painted them
white. But I think they are going to sag the rigging too much (which looks fine but isn't
exactly as taught as I'd like). I know ultimately I'm going to have to decide if I am happy
without this detail - but what does everybody else think - or what ideas (without turning
toothpicks down to below 1mm thickness) might anybody have for an alternate lighter
material to make these pieces from.
Link to picture. (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/lab/4515/geebeer2.jpg)

milenio3
08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry I cannot help with this one. But I'm sure you are going to come up with a fine solution, based on your judgment or our fellow modelers here.

GreMir
08-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Piece of string stretched and soaked in CA glue so it stays straight?

dansls1
08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Piece of string stretched and soaked in CA glue so it stays straight?

Thanks, that's a good idea - I'll have to raid the wife's sewing kit a bit more for some white thread and see if I can make it work ;)

shrike
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
I used some mechanical pencil leads for the "arrows" on the He51 I built. Light enough that it wont cause any sagging, and superglue loves it

dansls1
08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Ok - the pencil lead sounded like a phenomenal idea - so here she is in all her glory!
(And yay to having a real camera back to take pictures with!)

dansls1
08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
And here's a close-up of my canopy botch. Actually the 'glass' came out pretty good, I just ended with a gap in the front.

dansls1
08-22-2007, 07:57 PM
And lastly - 2 pictures from for what's sure to be the latest box office smash - "Giant Cats Attack Plane Races!"

Clashster
08-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Very cool, Dan! Nice build! Now just fire up that prop and scare them giants off! Perhaps I may restart a Gee Bee! My FG one languished for many years, I believe I threw most of it out and then recently found the cowling amongst some modeling stuff. Hmmm.. Great pics! Thanks!

Paperbeam
08-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Excellent work all around Dan! She's a real beauty!:cool:

By the way, did you have a tuna sandwich while building it?:D

Terry

N and Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com (http://www.paperbeam.com)

rlwhitt
08-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Outstanding Dan, a real beauty! That canopy was hard for me as well, one of the worst parts of this build, IMO.

milenio3
08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
OUTSTANDING my dear friend!!

I knew it!!! It is awesome!

dansls1
08-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the comments. I brought the model into work - and got a ton of good feedback.

I wanted to do a 'wrap up' post. Overall this build was great fun - with the only real 'tedious' part being the radial engine - but once you get an assembly line going it really cuts the time down. I could have done better on the cockpit, but this was my first clear cockpit - so I'm pretty happy with the result. I also took the advise of the previous builders and cut the former with the instrument panel on it. Given another go at it, I would try to fit this former over the cockpit in one piece - I struggled a bit with seams because I didn't get this former quite straight when I glued it on - but I managed to splice the cockpit section under the wings and get the fit good enough.
I only found 2 'issues' with the kit - and they are both pretty nit-picky. I almost hate to bring them up - but I figure a good review should include good and bad. The first is that the rear wheel bits are not marked as needing to be laminated. It's obvious that they are supposed to be if you look at the build diagrams, as there is a picture showing an exact measurement for the width - but I missed it and had to laminate later during the build. Second is the red graphic at the bottom of the 'pants' for the wheels. The bottom should 'swoop' back further past the wheel opening - but the kit has it ending abruptly after the 4th piece. This would have been easy enough to fix on my own - and it wasn't enough of an issue for me to do that - but I figured I'd point it out anyway.
Overall I recommend this model as a nice 'beginner' to get into the more serious modern plane builds. It has the new techniques that I never dealt with in the old days (wrapping wire with paper, sanding wheels from stacked card, clear canopy, rigging) - but none of them in excess or too difficult to deal with.

Mark Petersen
11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
As I am just getting back into doing this stuff after my hiatus I figured that this would be one of the perfect builds to get my feet back under me.