PDA

View Full Version : 7 inch fort mounted Brooke's rifle, 1/72 scale

ct ertz
12-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I made this pdf kit a while back and Greg Mathews was kind enough to do a test build for me. As you can see from the pictures he did a great job. :eek:

The Brooke's gun was the South Answer to the question of how to get heavy artillery. Like the Parrot Rifle in the North, And the Armstrong Rifle across the Pond, the Brooke's used heated iron bands to reinforce the breech of the gun. The bands would shrink during cooling, compressing the cast iron tube and gibing it a lot of strength. The Brooke's rifles had a better safety record then the Parrot, and were the popular choice for coastal forts and nearly all Confederate Ironclads. :cool:

This is a model of the 7 inch rifle, or 8 inch smooth bore, both capable coastal defense guns. Any tube that did not stand up to the high quality standards for a rifled piece wee sometimes re bored to a smooth bore caliber, reducing the breech pressure, and producing a usable cannon with out remaking the entire tube. This gun is mounted on a wooded pivot similar to those seen in period photographs of Confederate forts.

It is worth noting that the Brooke's rifles ran from extremely rough finishes to being almost glossy. It is my opinion that, like the Ironclads and forts they were mounted in, the cannon were of high working quality, but lacked consistent finishes. It is possible that those guns pictured with highly refined finished got that way because of tender loving care of the ever busy gun crews rather then the factory workers. I believe the inspectors and factory workers made the best and safest guns they could, and worried less about exterior finishes.

This gives the modeler many options for finishing the model!:rolleyes:

I hope to have this model available at Ecardmodels.com (http://www.ecardmodels.com) soon!:D

CT

cdavenport
12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
It's a lovely little piece, CT

Paperwarrior
12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
CT, As always...Great looking kit.
I'll be looking for it!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Thomas Meek
12-24-2009, 03:12 PM
A very welcome kit, CT. Thanks! :)

And Greg; You did a really good job with the building. The mount looks fantastic.

Merry Christmas!

Don Boose
12-24-2009, 03:29 PM
That's a fine piece of ordnance research and design, CT. Kudos to you and Greg!

Don

ct ertz
12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
OK, folks, its up!
1/72 Brookes 7 inch Gun by CT Ertz - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for (http://ecardmodels.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1110)
enjoy.

cjwalas
12-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Love this one, CT. Hope to see more in this line soon!
Thanks,
Chris