PDA

View Full Version : Suspending ships boats

Vicar
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
How do you experts fix ships lifeboats to the supporting davits?
At 1/250 scale I find trying to rig the pulleys pushes my skill levels to the extreme, and if there are a lot the frustration threshold takes a bashing too.

I've tried card cutouts of the pulleys and ropes, and painted carefully they don't look to bad, but I'd like to do better. Any suggestions, or do we just accept it's difficult?

pitlord
11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes it is difficult. With pic we can help you better....

Oliver Weiss
11-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I do it like this:

1. I color three lengths of the thinnest invisible sewing thread with permanent marker.

2. I knot one set of ends together and attach a weight to the knot.

3. Place the threads on a long board, with the weight hanging off one end. Tape the other ends of the threads to the board, making sure all the threads are snug. The weight ensures that all three threads have exactly the same tension. Tape the loose ends to the board.

4. Now I fiddle with the threads to space them evenly. Again, this depends on the number of tackles I make.

5. I punch twice as many paper disks as I need to represent the blocks. I slike one disk under the threads. I apply a drop of crazy glue and put another disk on top. Press carefully, let set and proceed a little distance down the thread (as long as the tackle needs to be) and repeat.

6. I leave about an inch or so and start the next tackle down the line.

7. When the glue has cured thoroughly, I paint the disks.

8. I separate the tackles and remove the two outer threads from each end. Like that I get a tackle that has one thread, a block, three threads, another block and another single thread.

Hint: If you put too much tension on the thread, the tackle will curl when you cut it out. If you put uneven tension on the threads, they will curl unevenly. Most of that will go away when you attach the tackles to your model. Either way, the method is quick and easy enough to make a few more tackles than what you need and just pick the best ones.

Cheers,

Oliver

Darwin
11-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Oliver pretty well stated it. The only differences with my method is I use black silk thread (which I get from the local fly fishing supply shop) and "paint" the assembly with thin CA glue to stiffen it up prior to taking it from the jig.

Vicar
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for that. I'll go away and let you know how I get on, but it'll be a couple of days. works interferes!