PDA

View Full Version : Pfalz Castle on the Rhine

Mike Stamper
01-07-2010, 04:37 PM
After the number of "different" buildings, I decided to go back to basics.

Ages ago I decided I'd only make buildings I had visited, but like new year's resolutions this didn't last long. Although I have visited all the Russian buildings I've recently completed (I can reccommend a great holiday if anyone want to visit Kizhi and St Petersburg.)

So, this time decided to make a German Castle that I've seen many times on our trips in the Area of the Rhine. It looked an easy model.... from the cover! It didn't take long to discover the "optional steps" These entail cutting out the bits on the railings. However, the instructions do not mention the door (see the photo) This is supposd to stay printed on the front. It seemed a bit odd, so I cut it out and recessed it a little.

More to follow !

Cheers
Mike

Clashster
01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Great looking work, Mike! I started many years ago with paper models of castles. Very interesting building.

Mike Stamper
01-12-2010, 04:09 PM
The model has moved on quite a lot - The cold weather in London has kept me in doors - just the right excuse for more model making !!!

You will have seen from the above pictures the amount of effort I spent on the railings. I have now added the tower and roofs and you can see how little of the earlier work is now hidden - a typical German Castlee makeover ;-))

Cheers

Mike

cdavenport
01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Another beauty of a build! Where do you display them? Some of those models are quite large!

Art Deco
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Wow, some very delicate knifework on those railings, really nicely done! All that effort was well spent - they really add a lot of visual impact.

Mike Stamper
01-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Charles,

That was a very timely question !

Generally I take the models to two shows a year - and fill two tressel tables. The two shows get the same models but they never appear the next year!

Something arrose recently where I had to make a list of all my models. I have over 150! they all live in boxes in my loft - next to my work room.

For more on this - I will be starting two new threads - I'ts too late now (11:30pm) One on the "new shows" and one on this area.

Cheers
Mike

piginapoke
01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
interesting. Nice details

Don Boose
01-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Beautiful paper "photo-etching."

Don

Mike Stamper
01-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I have finally completed the castle. It was another good kit from Schreiber with no last minute surprises.

I've added a small beach - the castle sits in the river Rhine. By coincidence I bought a large sheet of card in Germany last year - it looked like a good scale sand. At the time I had no idea what I would do with it !

Cheers

Mike

Gnasher
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
After going back to lurker mode for a while (work etc), I have to comment on this one!

This one has especially caught my eye, because my Mum's maiden name is Pfalzgraf, i.e. Count of the Pfalz. My grandparent did some investigation and it turns out we don't own it! :( I have passed it a couple of times, once by boat, but mostly by train, and thought wistfully how nice it would be to own a castle . . .in the middle of a river. How cool would that be? Can you imagine the summer holidays as a kid? Well, now I can own it, if only in small scale! It would be a great build as a present for my uncle's family. I just hope I can make it look half a good as you have done!

Art Deco
01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Great work, Mike! Thanks for sharing another fine effort with us!

BARX2
01-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Beautiful job Mike!