PDA

View Full Version : Gundams

The Orange
02-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Alright! I'm starting a lineup of easy to build models. I'll be cutting them down into series, and allowing the builder to build one of these models in an afternoon.

These designs feature -
- Different color schemes for each model
- Easy to build
- Joints
- Optional weapon packs and armor

The line up is as follows, I'll be starting off with the 08MS team. I personally love the suits from this series, and they have so many options for customizing.

Designs from this series -
- RX-79G
- RGM-79
- EZ-8
- Zaku (?)
- Gouf Custom (?)

- EFSF Vehicles (?)
- Zeon Vehicles (?)
(?) - To be decided
Models are subject to change or drop. I have no timelines for these, so they come and go.

Alright, so the first three to be complete are the RX-79G, RGM-79, and the EZ-8. I've gotten most of the modeling done for the RX-79G, and all I have left is the joints, weapons, and armor packs. Then I'll slightly modify the suit for the RGM-79 and the EZ-8.

Hope you guys like it http://www.zealot.com/forum/images/smilies/1.gif

elpapersyco
02-20-2010, 11:35 AM
INTERESANTE y exelente trabajo ORANGE, pero de que tamaño seran los modelos????

The Orange
02-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks elpaper for the comment, it's nice to see replies once in a while ;)

Alright, so the head is nearly complete, I should have it done, the jetpack, and some of the joints completed tonight.

Also would like to note that I won't be posting regularly on this forum anymore, so if I'm gone for some period of time, I'm still working on these models, just means I'm posting on another forum.

calotuc2
02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
muy buen proyecto amigo , lo seguiremos para ver tus obras

Getter 1
02-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Looks Great TO :D

G1

The Orange
02-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks Calotuc and Getter!

I completed the head and finished up most of the details. :D

widget
02-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm definately looking forward to the vehicles.:D

The Orange
02-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Whoo, jetpacks are now nearly complete, I'm just reworking some bits on it. Then, over the course of the week I'll do the joints and then all the fun customizable stuff! http://www.zealot.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
The joints are optional bits, as I'll include separate pieces that allow for a static model. Then, I'll be working on separate hands that can hold different weapons and so on. So yeah, hope you guys like it :D
Also a side note to all who lurks this thread, these models will not be available as they are just a line I'm creating for personal enjoyment. However, I do plan to allow some people to have a crack at these models.
Another side note, I noticed that in all of my pictures, the chest pieces are actually on the wrong side for the mirrored model. This is because all I did was mirror the model and rotate it with a different pack. I'd also like to thank everyone who has commented on this thread, I really appreciate the feedback.

One other thing! If you notice I like to use the green color scheme (Forest) RX-79. This is mainly because I really think this scheme is an excellent mix. I do not take credit for coming up with this color scheme, I tweaked it a bit to make it a little brighter. The original can be found here - http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/08/stuff_eng_cuenca_rx78.htm - The original scheme was done by Fernando Cuenca (http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/info_team.htm), not only do I think his choice of colors is brilliant, I believe his modeling is top of the line as well.

The Orange
03-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Whoo, haven't replied in a long time! 1 month and 2 days! Anyways, I haven't had any time for leisure so far. I'm going to be going to college soon and I mostly work for money and have little time for fun. However, I still try to squeeze in some modeling in. I wasn't able to edit the images to add my logo, so please forgive the raw images.

So I modeled the entire joint skeleton section of the leg for the sake of finishing this thing. I've abandoned the flap idea and went with the cylinders, mainly because one can replace cylinders with straws and other cylinder shapes that can be substituted for paper ones. The leg skeleton contains 4 sections for the joints and I did my best to simplify them.

For now, I've finished one entire section fully! Whee!

I probably won't be testbuilding this for a while so if anyone's interested, you can drop me a pm and I probably will send a piece of what I've gotten done so far. I'd testbuild this myself but I rarely have time to build anymore.

tazman3
03-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I think what you are doing here is great Orange! I love Gundams...I have the BanDai Ez8 1:60 on my desk right now...back pack and all! Love to have a companion for him...what scale...the traditional Bandai scales or all you going rogue on us...lol...

The Orange
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Tazman! Ez8 1:60? I thought it only came in 1/100 and 1/144 :P

I really wasn't thinking about scale, but if I do got to a scale, I'll probably do 1/144, or possible 1/100. However, there isn't much to look at on this model, so that's why I'm going with the smaller scale.

tazman3
03-27-2010, 06:44 AM
LOL...yes! 1:100...I was substituting 1:100 for 144 scale and 100 for 60...Yes it is a 1:100 scale. It is a "Master Grade" kit...and the "Perfect Grade" kits are 1:60...duh!

I got your info...looking forward to it!

The Orange
03-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Took a while to do this, here's what the unfold looks like through Pepakura. I'm probably going to keep this layout leading into the final unfold for this model. I did a lot of labeling ;)

I also tried my hand at making instructions, but I'm still not happy with the results, so I'll try it again some other time.

modelnutz7
03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi the Orange,

I love this design of Gundam that you for all your hard work can't wait till It's finished.

Sincerely

Tom

The Orange
04-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Hmm, haven't heard from Tazman in a while, I guess I'll just put this on postpone till I get more time. I plan to revise the model more after state testing.

leclerc
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Nice job there. I really love Gundams paper model, hope to see the result. Because it's so hard these days to find a decent Gundams paper model.

tazman3
05-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Got more work done and some pictures taken...I'll have a thread started hopefully by Friday! So far it is going great...

Phil
05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Nice work!! BTW, I Love your current sig "~ A true paper modeler does not conform to one genre ~" Can't wait to see more of these gundams!

The Orange
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks Leclerc :)

And thank you Phil too! The sig I have now is just something I wanted to rant off about before, but wasn't sure about the reception to it, so I just left it as my little sig.
The purpose of it was to present the division us paper modelers have amongst ourselves. Although we say we come together to share ideas and such, we barely move out of our modeling genres. Now and again we go build models that are from unfamiliar subjects, but in rare occasions.

I mean, I've personally, and I'm sure many of us have taken notice of the regular posters of a modeling genre. A few months back when I was on these forums and on Zealot, I would just have to look at the user name who posted and could accurately guess what kind of thread it would be. Personally I felt pretty sad for knowing that kind of stuff. Either I became pretty good with poster content, or I noticed trends. I definitely noticed trends.

In other words, I wanna be surprised. I don't want to just keep telling myself who are sci-fi modelers, or armor, navy, civilian, etc. I want to see people who build tanks build a robot. I want to see people who build robots build some historical stuff! I want to see people who build ships build an airplane! Why stick to one box! Sure time and money does affect things and narrows build choices, but why can't modelers build "out of the box".

I've seen some brave people who've given a chance at genre's that are totally different to their normal builds. That's what I wanna see. We need more people like that. I'm personally trying to do that. I'm stepping out of science fiction and exploring everything that I've been missing. Sure I've only built 1 page tank and airplane models, but I'll get around to building a full fledged one! It's something each modeler should strive for, but only if the will allows it.

Now that's food for thought :)

Cool beans Tazman! Looking forward to it! Sorry that I haven't gotten in contact with ya personally, but as soon as the summer comes up I hope to change all that :)

Getter 1
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Well said TO ;)

G1

Phil
05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Well said TO ;)

G1
I agree wholeheartedly.

The Orange
05-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Well, after being over whelmed by schoolwork, I was able to get in some modeling. Finals are in a week, so this is probably the last update till the beginning of June.

Still working on the joints, I'll probably release a static joint and an articulated one.

Here's my joint study #1, joint study #2 will be on the arms and #3 for the head. All I have left is the hip, arm and head joints left.

So this is a basic quick sketch of what I'm planning on doing for the hip joints. It's basically a square with a smaller square. The smaller square is on an axle that allows it to rotate about the larger square.

The first picture illustrates the type of static joint I'll be using for release. It's at an angle, so the builder's options aren't very wide for this version.

The pictures after shows different views of the articulated hip joint. Again, the joint is made with a total of 5 pieces. I tried to find an easier joint that could manipulate what I would want. One of these were a flap and lock joint, but I realized it might not be efficient.

The last pictures explain the rotation of the smaller square. In order for the piece to rotate past 90 degrees upon the axle, I have to cut a corner at an angle.

EDIT: One thing I noticed is that I have to make the height of the smaller square longer than the larger square. In fact, I believe I don't even have to cut the corner at an angle since the thigh directly glues onto the smaller square.

The Orange
05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Whoo! I made some progress today! I finished up adding joints to the hips and skirts. I also touched up on some of the leg joints. All I have left is the arms, and head. Hopefully I can finish the arms today, if not tomorrow.

I also added a new color scheme to the group, battle hardened silver :D Or maybe an elite fiction cover ops group, I dunno, credit to carnivalwang on flickr, original can be found here : RX-79(G)????_2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/47882239@N00/70804566/) I like the color scheme a lot.

So I believe the colors are
- A blue Ez-8 concept scheme
- Orange landing
- Normal Blue/red/white
- Green army issue
- Covert ops issue

Some unfortunate news is that Tazman, the beta builder who was working on this, is going to be absent from the forums for a while. I'm not sure when, but he's posted a thread here on the issue -

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/suggestion-box/8390-open-apology.html

Let's hope he returns soon.

Getter 1
05-22-2010, 07:30 PM
TO,

Lookin good :D keep it up there.

Have you ever seen one of these Gundams. Loads of ideas in the pix for a fully articulated paper model ;)

1/60 ƒKƒ“ƒ_ƒ€ (http://homepage3.nifty.com/butchy/paper/gundam.htm)

G1

The Orange
05-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh! Isn't that the RX-78 Paper Action Model by Amada printing? Yup, I've saw that little gem a while back, to my dismay hlj discontinued selling it.

I've never seen a build up of it until now, thanks a lot Getter! Those will definitely help me when I get a higher up in terms of designing :)

The Orange
05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
OK, took my entire afternoon, but I just finished the arm, joints an all. All I have left is the head :D On to the home stretch (Sorta)
The skeleton is boxy due to my hopes that the model will only be composed of 8-10 pages. Hopefully that's the case :/

If anyone's interested, I could use another test builder since Taz is going to be gone for a while.

The Orange
05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, more or less the actual model is complete. I still have to go back to add in the eyes to the head, but all the joints and armor seems to be just fine.

Drawing inspiration from Janx and Getter 1, I plan to have different color schemes and markings for this and future mobile suits. Not to mention, with a certain color needs a variety of accessories that match up to the situation.

Now I've got quite a bit of work to do for the accessories. Here's a list of what needs to be done

-Parachute Pack (Complete)
-Storage Pack (Complete)
-Heavy Armor (Complete)
-180mm cannon
-90mm MG
-Beam Saber
-Beam rifle
-Net gun
-Bazooka
-Missle Launcher
-Extra hands

I think that's all of them. In the pictures you can see that I've already completed the parachute, storage and heavy armor. All that's left is the weapons. Thanks for watching :)

The Orange
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Whoo! I had the day off from school today, since finals are coming next week and then summer! (Lots of time for building :D)

So I started doing my own testbuild of my model, and personally, I think I achieved the "ease of build" I was going for, at least on some parts.

The entire chest and waist section was completed under 2 hours, which is fast for me. So I believe I've achieved making the model simple, until it gets to the legs and arms :rolleyes:.

It was difficult for me to make the pieces look boxy on this model. I was really tempted to make it more complex in terms of curves, but I needed to get back into designing.

Now I'll get back into more "less boxy" looking models.

Since this is a gundam thread, I'll just throw in all my gundam design progress in here rather than making a new thread for each. I'm going to give my fingers a rest on test building, but for now, here's some projects that I'm working on next.

First up is the cold district gundam. I have no images of that yet, but I should soon.

Next is Optimus prime, masterpiece version. I was working on this a week ago. I was attempting to get back into what I call my peak designing period, which was somewhere last year or so. I tried my hand at adding a lot of detail into the feet. I may or may not continue this Optimus since this was only a practice model to get my designing back up to par.

The Orange
05-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Well I had to modify all the joints, since I wanted durability. Thanks to Getter's link to that build, I've gotten an idea about layering heavy cardboard for the joint to stay in. I've done this modification in the past when I was working on an RX-78 ver ka, but I forgot about it until today.

In the images, the left leg (From the point of view, right leg in real life) is the modified piece. It's extremely stable, while the right leg (From the point of view, left leg in real life) likes to flop about.

This is a pretty huge breakthrough for me, so I'm pretty happy :D

The Orange
06-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Summer's here and school's out! :D More time for models!

Alright, so tomorrow I'm going to start beta building the arm for this model, and post some pictures of a VF Robotech (that Getter/Janx/Shunchi created) that I'll soon start.

Anyways, my brother wanted me to do a model for him, specifically the GM space command mobile suit. The only thing was, he wanted the model to be just like the paperrobots1999.com models, really simple, effective and poseable. Another challenge for me, since I'm never good with restrictions.

I completed this in 2 days, in real time 4 hours, all that's left is the build and I might texture it (even though I don't know how to).

So yeah, hope you guys like the little side project, definitely a nice breather from the RX model.

Getter 1
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
To,

That GM looks pretty cool :D Just give it a different gun, B.Pak, and color scheme and you can do the ground version ;) A few more minor mods and you can do the cold climate version. Oh and yet a few more and the GM Sniper II. You can't stop at just one :P

Hmmmm A Zaku FZ is in order to kick all those GMs around to.

Looking forward to seeing the Valk build to :D

G1

The Orange
06-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks Getter :D I'm probably not going to make other versions of it, mainly because it was just a specific request, and I really want to see if my designs have developed. My next models, will show everything I've learned up until now, so simple models won't cut it. But it definitely is something to look for in the future :D

What valk :P Nah, just kidding, I'll probably put up a build thread of it when I actually get going on forming the parts. In fact, I've already cut out and scored most of the parts, so all that's left is the assembly. However, I won't be glueing until Wednesday, since I need to find a new alternative to edge coloring, which will be acrylics. Wednesday because that's when I get to go to Costco with my mom, then I'll stop by Micheals for acrylics. I want the valk to look great when it's done, so I'm being patient for now.

Anyways, I'm going to move onto my next design. The Rx-79 was more of a little test for myself to see if I could make a semi satisfactory design with poseable parts. I'll keep it in my folder marked later, so someday I'll go back and actually build it.

The next gundam I'm designing is a surprise :D It isn't canon fodder for sure :)

Grindar
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
These look pretty sweet :p

tazman3
06-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Ok, got the first section of beta build underway. Parts cut for chest/torso and ready to go...some already glued up. No problems on glue ups yet. Did find that the 3 parts in the 2nd picture seem to come up short on the ends pointing towards us in the test fit...I'll see how they do at glue-up.

No edge coloring on these, I even scored them all on the up-side. Just to give a better picture of how they look formed up and glued up all together.

OOPS...MOD PLEASE DELETE THIS POST, I MEANT TO START A NEW THREAD AND WILL DO SO NOW...

ZYON
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
your not even done with them and they look nice, great job!

Squirrel
07-21-2010, 08:44 PM
good luck, TO. i would say something witty but i am all wittied out.

papekuraviewer
08-05-2010, 12:07 AM
i love gundam ,,, and your gundam look great,
maybe when it's complete, would you share with us :)

SEBRET
08-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Can't Wait to see the final product.

rt01
08-27-2010, 05:28 AM
RX-79 is one of my favorite gundam ever, this one's also looked great