PDA

View Full Version : BUILD PaperPanzer A7v "Herkules"

jagolden01
02-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Well, the original thread was lost in the recent crash so I'll start this new one and pick up where I left off.

Time to install the bottom plate of the hull. I cut the pointed ends off so they could be glued up separately. I also cut two oval holes so I could get my hands inside to work the edges.

Next, Foam-Cor supports were added around the inside edges just below the edges so the bottom plate could be counter-sunk in. This helped to make attaching it easier. A middle support was added also to keep the sides from cupping because of the expanse of board.

Last were the end pieces. These went in easily enough but did require trimming to match the angles. You can see where some of the "rivets" have been cut off.

A lot of edge coloring and touch up to be done.

Don Boose
02-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Nice work!

These PaperPanzer's are fine little models.

Don

jagolden01
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks, Don. I may take a stab at coloring one of his free white models I've enjoyed this one so much.

A little work on the road trucks. Since the original model is 1/72, the detail is necessarily simplified.

One think I want is to make sure they're sturdy enough to support the model for a longtime to come. The "springs" that come with the model are simple roll tubes that sit on top of the trucks. For strength, I cut out the holes and used a dowel. In the end, the hull will have holes to accept the dowels. Also, the original "springs" are so dark as to be essentially black. I redrew them in Illustrator so the striations are more obvious.

I do-dadded the trucks only a little with some layers, the springs and other things to create shadows which hint a detail.

The treads will be another challenge as I want those somewhat detailed but not to the extent of replicating the prototype. The trucks are not designed to accept those.

jagolden01
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Road trucks in place. The peg system worked very well. Idler/drive wheels next.

jagolden01
07-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Been a while but still working at it. Sorry for the so-so photos but the good camera seized up yesterday.

Paperwarrior
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
That is looking mighty fine!

jagolden01
07-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks.
I've been lazy lately. Spending more time looking at builds instead of doing them.
I really need to mix the colors to paint the edges. Need two lollipop sticks to make the side exhaust.

In the immortal words of Frank, "I did it my way", well, some of it at least.

I'm still hoping PaperPanzer proceeds with some of the other WWI tanks he started to design.

B-Manic
07-22-2010, 05:02 PM
The build is looking great. It is difficult for me to imagine one of these trundling across a battlefield. BTW - I thought you were going to paint the whole model.

jagolden01
07-23-2010, 06:35 AM
The build is looking great. It is difficult for me to imagine one of these trundling across a battlefield. BTW - I thought you were going to paint the whole model.

Thanks, B-Manic! I was not going to paint. I believe that is on the other A7v Build,
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/3253-a7v-tank-modelcard-nr-94-a.html

Someday I will be brave enough to paint an entire build.

Joe