PDA

View Full Version : St. Kevin's - corrected and modified (a Sunday project gone bad)

Tapcho
02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
This is a ‘found on the internet’- model of an Irish chappel named St Kevin’s (named wrongly by the designer as St Kieran’s which ruins are located nearby). The structure is situated in Glendalough, County of Wicklow in Ireland.

The model (you can download it from here: http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/milk-pot/kyoukai.htm (http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/milk-pot/kyoukai.htm) ) is a good representation and shows the stone building structure well. It has some faults though – the facades are designed wrongly. Differences can be spotted easily from the reference photos one can find easily on the net. Another design problem is the area between the walls and the roof (look for your refs).

I took the liberty of modifying the model a bit:
- corrected the visible mistakes
- added a cross above the main entrance
- created part of the surrounding wall (the wall is a bit too near the church walls)
- put a gate in place
- added 3D volume to the stepping stones in the yard

This was supposed to be a practice of using scenery material like crass and sand etc. That attempt it turned out to be a disaster (see the last picture). I’m glad I tried with this one before attacking the castle Pernjstein. I ended up tearing everything apart and started the project all over again. The original attempt had better proportions according distances etc.

A Sunday project gone bad – but maybe the recovery pleases you fellow modelers even little.

Took me 6 hours to do this – with only twelve parts in the model!

EDIT: (sorry I named the photos wrongly st.kieran - can't correct them via edit mode)

Mike Stamper
02-28-2010, 05:21 PM
That's a great model - I really like the texture. Shame about the landslide.

Now you've had practice, the remake should be a lot quicker ;-)

comiserations
Mike

KCStephens
02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Very nice model, Tapcho. I really like your additional touches. Hopefully you will be able to salvage most of your hard work and just remount it onto a new base. Thanks for the link...Maybe I'll get to it myself some day.

whulsey
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Good luck with your rebuild. Thanks for the link, he has some other nice stuff, especially like the rooster.

Tapcho
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank's! The disaster photo shows that I first tried to work this model on a base with much better areal proportions. Working with sand and grass didn't work the way I wanted and I ended up tearing the buildings and the walls from that base. So posted pictures are the remake and everything is put back on the models original base. Sorry about the confusion - my bad choice of words.

I made the walls by printing one of the pages several times and using the main building roof part for it.

Now back to basic training - I must take scrap pieces of cardboard and start testing with sanding a base, adding grass to it, shading and blending them together etc.

I re-post the Pernjstein pictures soon and show also how that project is going forward.