PDA

View Full Version : got a request for the mars viking landers

jleslie48
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
from the 1970's, anybody have one or have one waiting for a request for design???

Retired_for_now
02-28-2010, 04:36 PM
How soon you need it?

Yogi
(Mir, then thinking of Huygens ...)

jleslie48
02-28-2010, 04:54 PM
It was a request from a Dad working on a project with his daughter:

...My daughter just received a project for her science class on the Mars Viking Landers. Unfortunately, we haven't found a model (plastic or paper) for the landers themselves, but the Titan III rocket will be great as part of her display. I look forward to our trip to pick up the supplies and spending some great one-on-one time with her. I have 4 other kids as well so this will be a nice project to do with her. If by chance you happen to know of any lander models or the orbiter, ...

The titan III should keep them busy for a while...

Retired_for_now
02-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Possible to work something up, but not before maybe April (weakened and agreed to a bit of consulting). Any idea how detailed they're looking for - MRO or simple Mariner level?

Yogi

jleslie48
02-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I can only guess, and I'd hate to get their hopes up if its a bust. I can forward you the email if you want.

Tapcho
02-28-2010, 11:18 PM
If material can be something else than paper (and if financial resources are not limited) this might be an option (though it's more a dad model than daughter one, very challenging multimedia model):

Viking (http://realspacemodels.com/html/vikingpg.html)

jleslie48
03-01-2010, 07:15 AM
If material can be something else than paper (and if financial resources are not limited) this might be an option (though it's more a dad model than daughter one, very challenging multimedia model):

Viking (http://realspacemodels.com/html/vikingpg.html)

wow nice kit. I forgot about the orbiter...

Retired_for_now
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Well, at that price I'd get-'er-done real quick.

Anyway, workin' on the lander (not quite as simple as the elementary school Mariner). Orbiter would be a good model to leave as an exercise for the builder ...

Yogi

Paperbeam
03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
This any help?

Paper Astronaut, Juliette Cezzar, Book - Barnes & Noble (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Paper-Astronaut/Juliette-Cezzar/e/9780789318817)

I don't know how detailed it is...

Terry

Retired_for_now
03-03-2010, 09:13 PM
First pass at 1:24 scale - critiques?

Yogi

Nh3ave2009
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Outstanding!

jimkrauzlis
03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Wow, I'm not a space craft expert but that is one amazing design in so short a time, Yogi!

I would love to see this one completed, as I didn't find many available in my quick search of the web.

Cheers!
Jim

sgoti
03-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Yogi-

Looking good so far!

To me, it looks like a good balance between detail and ease-of-building. Certainly an important factor if daughter/dad want this done in time.

Glenn

jleslie48
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
holy CoW!!!! that is definitely recognizable as Viking. I think it would be great as is as a "basic" version. adding some additional geometric "bolt-ons" to the tank might be good for an "advanced" version to give that odd shaped cover better definition.

I made rounded tanks for this model: http://jleslie48.com/cevton/cevlanderb/lsam_model.zip

If you don't use the cylinder section, and only the caps, you'll get really nice round paper spheres. look at lsam_Tank4b2.jpg in the zip file.

Retired_for_now
03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks all.

Probably a bit of OCD on my part Jim (though mild Asberger's syndrome would be cooler).

Definitely my intent Glenn - parts count is a bit high at just over 40, but I can't really drop it much.

Tanks are about as simple as I can make them (thanks for the tip Jon - I've got your LSAM files); could change the three outboard thruster cans to graphics but they are a very obvious feature; each of the box/cylinder greebles are specific instruments; the big covers on top (actually cover two nuclear RTG power sources) are just boxes; and the legs are as simple a design as I could come up with.

I'll still take any inputs on how to simplify the landing legs (or anything else). Currently they are three parts: footpad shallow cone, combined two lower struts and riser, upper strut is a one piece cylinder with some extra material that continues the wrap to make a thicker upper section.

Jon, I can ship you a pdf for forwarding or you can e-mail me the prospective builder's contact info.

Now that I've gotten this far, I'll need to clean it up and add detail then enlarge to 1:12 so I can put it with the Phoenix lander in the Planetarium display (yah, I think it is a little OCD).

Yogi

sgoti
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Jon, I can ship you a pdf for forwarding or you can e-mail me the prospective builder's contact info.

Will this be available for the rest of us at some point?

Retired_for_now
03-04-2010, 11:23 PM
sgoti - of course. I'll need to clean up some detail and add some kind of instructions before posting at LHVCC and here. For Jon's request, I'm assuming if they start building the launch rocket they will understand about rolling conics/cylinders, gluing tabs, making little boxes, etc. and so can work with very basic internal documentation.
Yogi

Paperwarrior
03-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Yogi, I haven't been able to get to this thread again till today. That is an amazing "draft"!!! You do great work!!

Retired_for_now
03-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks Jeff.

Well, Viking Orbiter was a significant spaceprobe - not just for delivering the lander but significant in its own right. Especially if you remember the success rate for Mars missions is pretty low.

Fortunately, not too much detail required since the lander was in the bioshield/aeroshell and the fuel tanks under an insulation "tent."

Still have to finish the bioshield, revise the scan platform, check some fit issues. And instructions - and that's what separates a scratch-build/set of parts from a "kit" I guess.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Still need to think about instructions. Did get the upper shroud modified (15% too small initially) and the scan platform (not photo realistic but a closer match to the photos).

Yogi

Retired_for_now
03-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Closing the loop - the Viking Lander and Orbiter are posted at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center - both in 1:24 scale. The orbiter is up as a PDF, some problems with my file so the lander is uploaded as separate JPGs for each page. No problems except (rookie mistake) I've not been putting scale bars on my work (the little 1" or 1cm right angle lines so you can check the exact scale from your printer).

Ah well, Jon assures me he'll get the PDF up so you won't notice my ommission. I will do penance over the weekend for my sins (got to get the lawn pump primed and running, check/replace sprinkler heads, weed-n-feed, ...)

Yogi

papermodelfan
03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Hudson Valley Paper Models now has a Mars Viking lander that can be downloaded for free.
The website is
http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_apollo.html

It is all the way to the bottom

Cheers,

jimkrauzlis
03-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks for designing and making this excellent addition to the explorer space craft, Yogi!

And thanks to Jon for making them available on his most excellent webpage!

Cheers!
Jim

Nh3ave2009
03-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Take a bow Yogi!!! BRAVO!

Retired_for_now
03-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Thanks, all. The Viking Orbiter (1:24) and lander (1:12) are now posted in the download section.

For Guests - the models are at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (jleslie48.com) along with a superb selection of other spacecraft.

Primary areas for improvement on this one are the RTG covers (big overhanging boxes) and the fuel tanks. You could build the radio-isotope thermo-electric generators to go under the covers and the top profile needs reshaping (obvious from pictures of the real thing). More conics or a more complex design to get spherical fuel tanks is another area for modification.

Other detail items could include: more detailed instrument cans with open tops; more detail (stepped diameters) on the cameras; more detail on the thrusters; added fuel piping and wiring, etc...

Share and Enjoy.

Yogi