PDA

View Full Version : AirDave's B-24A/B-24D Any requests?

airdave
03-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Touched on this a couple of times, in other threads, but I unforunately didn't keep a record of planes mentioned or requested.

Would you mind if I asked again?

Since I now have templates for LB30, B-24A and B-24D
as well as some new parts and mods for these kits...

I think it might be cool to do one? two? a few? more B-24s?

So, any suggestions for paint schemes?

Top of my list is "Teggie Ann"
Which (correct me if I'm wrong) is another Ploiesti Pink B-24D?
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/outlawzairbrushcom/hobby%20links/teggieannb24.jpg

I also have a couple of other "Assembly Aircraft" that interest me... like this red/yellow/white candy striper
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/outlawzairbrushcom/hobby%20links/balloffireb24.jpg

Diamond Lil was talked about at one point...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/outlawzairbrushcom/hobby%20links/DiamondLilB-24NoseArt.jpg

and...someone asked about the Snow White series...
only problem I have is which one? or all of them?
Snow White, Prince Charming and all seven Dwarves?
sure...if I could find proper reference images for all of them!
I thought about doing one kit, with alternate parts for each aircraft?
That means 9 different Cockpit/Nose sections and 9 different vert. Tails.
As long as the rest of the plane is the same on all 9 aircraft?
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/outlawzairbrushcom/hobby%20links/sleepyB-24.jpg

so, any of these ideas tickle anyone's fancy??
or have you better suggestions?

or should I just move on to another aircraft (or model) entirely?
(or does anyone care? lol)

I apologize for forgetting any aircraft already mentioned or requested,
thats exactly why I decided to ask eveyrone again.

wag
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi Dave
First of all,yes,Teggie Ann was the lead ship on the Ploesti Mission.And it will be another must have when it becomes available. I would like to see the Snow White aircraft (343rd sq?) if you can find the references for them. I'm afraid I only have photos of the nose art on "Snow White","Prince Charming" and "The Witch" so I'm afraid I won't be much help. I'm looking forward to whatever you come out with next.
Wayne

airdave
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi Dave
First of all,yes,Teggie Ann was the lead ship on the Ploesti Mission.And it will be another must have when it becomes available. I would like to see the Snow White aircraft (343rd sq?) if you can find the references for them. I'm afraid I only have photos of the nose art on "Snow White","Prince Charming" and "The Witch" so I'm afraid I won't be much help. I'm looking forward to whatever you come out with next.
Wayne

well, you could start me off with any pics you have of those aircraft?
I need good shots of the nose art (I do have some already)
but I also need photos of other parts of the aircraft.

just email me through cutandfold.info

willygoat
03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm all for a Diamond 'Lil. I got to get in that plane when I was a kid. She was the second WWII plane I ever got to go into.

papaace
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
How about the Lady Be Good! The B-24D that was based in libya and vanished. To be found some 16 years later and over 440 miles south/east of there airbase. Heres some history if your interested! http://www.ladybegood.com/ (http://www.ladybegood.com/) Thanks

Foxbat
03-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Would be nice to see one in Soviet camo :)
(if it's possible, that one is B-24H)

Here are the schemes, the text is translated in Eng

- Consolidated B-24 Liberator/PB4Y Privateer - / (http://wp.scn.ru/ru/ww2/b/327/1/0/1_b1)

- Consolidated B-24 Liberator/PB4Y Privateer - / (http://wp.scn.ru/ru/ww2/b/327/1/0/1)

airdave
03-02-2010, 06:45 AM
oooh yes, I did have an earlier request for "Lady Be Good"...I'll have to put her name back on the list!

I keep getting asked for Privateers and "J" models
and I keep repeating "I have LB30/B-24A or B-24D templates"

willygoat
03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow, that "Lady Be Good" story is a good one. I just spent an hour digging through that site. Veeeery interesting indeed!

Wyvern
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Anything with interesting (preferably racy) nose art.

Also, one of the USAAC "maritime patrol" B-24 schemes would be interesting.

Wyvern

Lewis H Osborn
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Any thing that you do is ok with me. I have them all so far.keep up the good work....Lew

airdave
03-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Heres the plan, so far:

I am hoping to create versions of:

B-24D 42-40664 "Teggie Ann" (formerly Honey Chile") - in Desert Pink

B-24D 41-24301 "Lady Be Good" (also in Desert Pink?)

and I am thinking of doing a simplified "set" of the Snow White series aircraft...Snow, Prince Charming, Witch, and seven Dwarves.

for this set of aircraft, the fuselages may have only very minor differences
with the major differences between the aircraft being the Tail fins and Nose-art.
So, I can produce a "simplified" kit containing parts to build one generic aircraft
and a set of alternate nose-art and tail fin components.

I will have to research the aircraft a little more before making any final decisions.

I have some reference material on "Chug-a-lug" and "Diamond Lil" (now "Ol'927"), that I may save for future reference.

The candy striped "Ball of Fire" is still a personal preference for a repaint, so that one is also being considered.
Feel free to offer up any more suggestions for B-24 (A or D) repaints.

doctormax
03-04-2010, 07:56 AM
I have no wish list dave, I am interested in how the candy stripe one turns out do. After seeing image of its decal. do I am getting the feeling dave that Chris should get on to marek to do a Privateers since so many people seem to want one to build

I like racy nose art too,

Don Boose
03-04-2010, 07:00 PM
With a wife named Lil, you can imagine which one I would like to see.

Don

airdave
03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
B-24s will continue!!!!

I am currently working on:

Teggie Ann.....almost completed as a matter of fact!

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs....a full series in one kit, build all 10 planes!...just starting on this one.

Lady Be Good...just started, but I need help.
I have conflicting information, that the original "lost" Lady, was "Desert Sand" (pink) -or- Light Tan/Beige.
No way to tell from the crash images, since the aircraft has been badly bleached in the sun.
Also, from a repaint standpoint, this is a very boring aircraft...there are literally no markings on this aircraft, other than the 64 on the nose.
[see the attached pic] Any thoughts on this?

Diamond Lil...I have actually put this one on the back burner, since it is an LB30 (not a later B-24 as I had thought)
...although I do have an LB30 kit, the Tail is very different on "Lil" and will require new design work. I am unsure at this point if I want to tackle it.

Candy Striped "Ball of Fire"...still got this one in my mind, but haven't started any work yet.

SCEtoAUX
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Maybe use the contact page at this website and see if anyone can help you with the color and markings for "Lady Be Good" (that is if you haven't already). :)
www.ladybegood.com (http://www.ladybegood.com/)

consistseeker
03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I've just started to read the thread and rather than make 9 different nose sections why not make just one generic nose section and treat the nose art like a decal the same could be done for serial numbers on the tail. If you could get away with it as long as the paint scheme was the same

airdave
03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I've just started to read the thread and rather than make 9 different nose sections why not make just one generic nose section and treat the nose art like a decal the same could be done for serial numbers on the tail. If you could get away with it as long as the paint scheme was the same

not sure what you are referring to?

if its the Snow White Series that you are talking about...

the kit will include the full model to build Snow White (about 11 pages)
and then it will also include 9 extra pages.
Each of those "extra" pages will have:
1. an alternate Nose section (three parts) with different noseart
2. alternate vertical Tail parts (with various serial numbers)

There may be very minor differences in the fuselage of these aircraft, but nothing of any real concern (I don't think).
(Imagine the fresh newly delivered aircraft, before crews got the chance to add anything else to them! lol)
So this is the simplest way to create a 'set" of models.

Not sure what you mean by "decals"...unless you are suggesting a paper cutout that could be applied like a decal?
I don't particularly like the look of that idea.
...and I'm not sure how you would do that with the tail markings.

airdave
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Back on the Lady be Good topic....I am trying to confirm if there was anything painted on the starboard side of the nose.

I believe the "64" was repeated...but was there anything else on that side?

All scale models that I have found, appear to have only the "64" in white numbers.

One artwork image, shows a large "Lady Be Good" painted lettering, diagonally, below the copilot windows.

And this photo is repeated on many sites across the web, and is titled as being "LBG during takeoff in 1943 on a mission to Italy".
It clearly shows a large, roundish painted object/emblem on the starboard nose.
is this LBG?
if so, what is this artwork?

consistseeker
03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
yes I am saying that the nose art could be applied like a decal as it is on (I hate to say it) plastic models. you wouldn't have to use card stock but regular paper.

airdave
03-23-2010, 02:35 PM
yes I am saying that the nose art could be applied like a decal as it is on (I hate to say it) plastic models. you wouldn't have to use card stock but regular paper.

I know personally, that I don't like the idea of adding a paper decal.
I think it will be too obvious, and not smooth enough (raised edges).

Since I have to create the artwork for the noseart anyway,
then its not really any more work to apply the artwork to the already created nose parts.
Small details, like serial numbers or small lettering would be very hard to cut out and handle as "paper decals".

Keep something in mind...to produce each additional variant aircraft
you still have to print a complete set of new model parts including a new nose and Tail parts.
So for each aircraft, you would just print one extra page of parts and you don't have to deal with cutting out very small parts or applying "decals".

Good idea...but maybe not the right one for this application.

airdave
03-24-2010, 07:03 AM
I just wanted to publicly thanks Lauren (ashrunner) for all the amazing help he has given me over the last few weeks
coming up with countless amounts of historical info and reference
for my B-24 repaints!
Most recently, some amazing stuff regarding "Lady Be Good".

He has helped answer so many questions and helped get the repaint as accurate as possible.

I should also thank all the other people who have helped over the past months...don't think you guys are any less important!
Kudos to Jeff, Ray, Ryan and anyone else I may have forgotten.

I also want to thank the Academy and especially, Jesse James, for showing me that anyone can be an idiot.

There are so many kits (and artwork) out there, that are obviously so far from being technically and historically accurate.
And I understand that most builders and hobbyists are always looking for realism and accuracy in their builds.
I have tried to do my best with all my repaints, to research as much as possible and offer up the best repaint I can.
I know, that I have made a few mistakes and others have helped me fix some of those errors...
hopefully I am putting out the best repaints possible, given my limited knowledge.

I can't always guaranty the best model kits...I try to make changes and adjustments to the base models, and hopefully improve on the original model if possible.

So...on that note....
"Teggie Ann" is just about done!.... Just have the Cover Page artwork to sort out. I'll post some pics asap
I can't remember who originally asked me to do this plane? (sorry)

"Lady Be Good" is now in final stages of work and should be ready in the next week or so. If you don't know the story behind this plane, do some research!
I'm trying to find the movie based on this ill fated flight.

wag
03-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Sole Survivor (1970) (TV) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065007/)

I remember seeing the nose section of the B-25 from this movie at the old Tallmantz air museum in the mid '70s.
Wayne

airdave
03-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Is that it?....I'll have to start hunting for that one.
Didn't realize it had Shatner in it!...

wag
03-24-2010, 08:09 AM
"History's Mysteries" Ghost Plane of the Desert: Lady Be Good (????) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0899192/)