PDA

View Full Version : SciFi Strafing Pod

Gil
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I've been away dreaming up vehicles for SciFi shorts.
Following is a scratch-cut for a weapon system that performs close-in support for assault force troopers. Design changes happen during runs for the next cup of coffee.

It's LENR-CANR powered utilizing Caenfield Force Resonators for lift and propulsion (not on this version). Been toying with using retro rivet detailing but haven't even made up my mind whether there's a good reason to have the vehicle constructed out of aluminum or something more exotic like cross linked Graphene-Dimox nano alloys.

Yeah, details, details but remember it all has to play together in the end. What's up with this? Don't really know yet. Just using it to rest my head from other related work. Will this end up a model? Could be. As before Don't know yet. Tell me if you like this sort of thing otherwise I'll keep the airwaves free for other more important stuff...

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)

SJPONeill
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I like it - and I'd go for the nano alloys...kinda reminds me of the pods off the Airacuda...

shrike
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Or the Air Cavalry pods from H. Beam Piper's stories. Contragravity with hot and cold jet thrusters

Gil
03-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Guilty of plagiarizing:

o Gun Blisters: North American B-25J
o Pilot/Gunners View: Sperry Ball Turret a la B-17
o Fuselage: Schempp-Hirth Flugzeugbau
o Gun Array: Browning 50 Calibre Machine Guns

+Gil

shrike
03-06-2010, 07:45 AM
No.
If you steal from one source, it's plagiarism
If you steal from a few it's synthesis
If you steal from many, it's research

Knife
03-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Needs more armour for ground support. Also a bullet proof heads up display shield in the front of the cockpit. This assumes that you're leaving out electromagnetic shields to save weight. Just a few thoughts.

SCEtoAUX
03-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Use rpvs and substitute more ammo for the pilot weight. More ammo is always a good thing. :D

Oh yeah, and a da**ed perfect IFF for friendly surface forces.
Freakin' flyboys always wanting to blow up everything on the surface. :p

Gil
03-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Use rpvs and substitute more ammo for the pilot weight. More ammo is always a good thing. :D

They never run out of bullets in Hollywood.. and the Screen Actors Guild is unofficially against RPVS (file that away someplace safe...)...

No.
If you steal from one source, it's plagiarism
If you steal from a few it's synthesis
If you steal from many, it's research

The thing about being copied is that there is a certain pride in reading its commission but there is a certain embarrassment in being included amongst so many...

Needs more armour (SIC) for ground support. Also a bullet proof heads up display shield in the front of the cockpit. This assumes that you're leaving out electromagnetic shields to save weight. Just a few thoughts.

I'm currently wrestling with the Caenfield Force Resonators and their distortion of gravity fields and any mass in motion (including incoming). Of course there's always the nano-impregnated super dimalloy canopy system.

This reminds me of the Samurai vs. GI Joe design philosophy arguments as in Zero vs. Hellcat. The Zero was perfected as a weapon to be "worn" by the fighter pilot and to a high degree its design was dictated by the pilots that would fly it in combat AND who had had extensive prior combat experience. The Hellcat on the other hand was the result of the Grumman Iron Works and also had pilot input. The difference between the Zero and Hellcat design philosophies was that the U.S. pilots had no experience in aerial combat. Though short on performance the Hellcat just needed one good bead and a blast from the machine guns to take out an opponent (compensate lack of maneuverability with bigger guns). In actual combat situations this meant absorbing an incredible amount of abuse while patiently waiting around for a "bead moment" to arrive. What does all this attribution mean? It means that in the design of SciFi stuff you have historical context, plagiarism and your own vague inklings on which to form a complete and believable futuristic operating weapon system. Note that it's got to "suspend or disarm the readers level of disbelief" in order to be successful. Inventing as you go can get you in big trouble. Reader's are tough nuts...

+Gil

Chaise Lounge Inspired Combat Seat:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/ChaiseLoungeCombatSeat_T1W.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)

Bomarc
03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Gil;107820]Chaise Lounge Inspired Combat Seat:/QUOTE]

From the Herman Miller School of Engineering? ;)

Mike

B-Manic
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM
This looks like a worthwhile project Gil. If nothing else it seems to be generating a lot of conversation. BTW - I like the chaise lounge inspired pilot's seat. How about a reclining pilot position, perhaps something Biedermeier inspired? Then of course you could steampunk the whole project up a bit

http://www.essential-architecture.com/IMAGES2/6biedermeier.jpg

Gil
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Had to scrunch the pilot in there somehow. The "Barco Lounger" recliner concept went with the flow and looked kinda cool (Herman Miller probably isn't interested in a design which looks comfortable enough to sleep in as they have a business reputation to maintain). Designing it required three or four iterations to get it to the point where it looked comfortable enough to sit in. Having the posed scale pilot figure made this a fairly straight forward exercise in managing human factors into the "pod" environment. Note that it is somewhat of an improvement over the Sperry Ball Turret gunners seating the original inspiration.

I might "Steampunk" it a little in the form of retro technology utilization. This is the kind of stuff that you run your hand or eye over because it looks and feels good..., appealing to the individual at a personal level better known as "look hooks"...

+Gil

P.S. Chaise Lounge Inspired Combat Seat for Gamers? What do I know?

Gil
03-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I've spent the last day learning how to make muzzle flashes. It required a lot of trial an error experimentation. Within these constraints I finally succeeded in generating an acceptable result.

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes3W.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)

SJPONeill
03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Looking good, Gil - been thinking about some of the previous comments re up-armouring the pods and rather than weigh them down, I think you could keep it as is and employ it as a swarming weapon system that is deployed in hundreds or even thousands at once to overwhelm an adversary...maybe launched via an up-sized Metalstorm launcher...?

Gil
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Looking good, Gil - been thinking about some of the previous comments re up-armouring the pods and rather than weigh them down, I think you could keep it as is and employ it as a swarming weapon system that is deployed in hundreds or even thousands at once to overwhelm an adversary...maybe launched via an up-sized Metalstorm launcher...?

I take it that you're referring to this company:

Metal Storm - Home (http://www.metalstorm.com/)

A combat friendly company... or, " a warmth and comfort item" for an insecure situation. Nice Patent too (a la roman candle observation and an electronic trigger)...

The blister pods (currently undergoing a design revision as mandated from inputs from the sales and marketing department) are now on a track to be removable for quick reload capability. Your input made me think about a pod type dedicated to grenade launchers (two hex bundles with four rounds per bundle) allowing a rapid weapon response to changing combat conditions or to better mix and match weapon suitability to an expected hostile defense situation.

The Pods are similar to a ball turret and are capable of rotation in the X and Y axis without changing flight direction (not recommended at high speed though). This opens up an interesting panalopy of deployment capabilities. For example, a circular array of Pods could direct fire inward to attack a central position or outward to defend it. Shades of the Roman "Scutum" (shield) and their "Testudo" (tortoise) formations come to mind.

Inputs like this really help in perfecting the designs capability. By the time this project is complete we'll have a great looking weapons system data sheet ready for series publishing in your favorite flavor of bubblegum...

Best regards,
+Gil

SJPONeill
03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
RE Metal Storm, yep, that's the one...they star in John Birmingham's Axis of Time Trilogy (funny thing, it being an Aussie company and him an Aussie author)...

Thinking on it, I think that you would have a range of single purpose pods: MG and GL as you have mentioned already, + EW, recon (or a range of variants each with one sensor type), BDA, anti-air/armour/helo, casevac (swoop in, hook onto a casualty and lift out to a point where a larger medevac can come in), SEAD, possibly also a C2 variant that coords the actions of each pod swarm...

Gil
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Exploring what would occur if an established technology was "changed out" for another is what's interesting here. This thread explores the adaptation of an existing technology "adapted to" a new source of energy coupled with new lift and propulsion technology. Each Pod becomes a "personalized" weapon system achieving maximum lethality when used in group action. Command, control, communication and intelligence activities are definite possibilities for form, fit and function.

Along these same lines I'm considering whether bases need be land based or not. The point is that if you've got cheap, efficient power and lift why not something like a super carrier base? Things can really spin out of control fast...

+Gil

SJPONeill
03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
On my planet, the bases would be land-based and fixed i.e for installation defence, choke point control; land-based and mobile, maybe launched from a MLRS on steriods, possibly also as local defence for MBT, C2 wagons etc; air-launched from aircraft like B-36 with FICON on steriods, airships for both offense and local defence and maybe a ICBM option that delivery swarm strikes anywhere on the globe; and sea-based on vessels of all sizes for local defence, mega-carriers that can swarm out pods by the thousand (think floating beehive), and subs (can pods function underwater? Might be an option for a whole new line of options) which might also be launching platforms for the ICBM carrier missile...

Uh-oh, here's comes the nurse with more pills...

Gil
03-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Messing about in obtaining better contours of the weapons blister. Muzzle flashes are a tad bit better which, as it turns out, are an interesting little chapter all on their own.

Proliferating the internal structure is next on the agenda. Anyone have any idea who's selling the Caenfields original book on Force Resonators?

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes4W.jpg

ltla9000311
03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Philmore's Kwik Mart and Thenster's Weapons Galore were the last two places I've seen it for sale. Are you looking for the 1st edition hardback, or the new one with the pull out Resonator plans printed on original 20th century paper?

I might part with my copy, for a set of plans for the Dew Drop of Death when you're done........

SJPONeill
03-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Maybe you could have a pod launcher like the ammo feed and 37mm cannon in the P-39...that oval arc that sits over the breech...?

Gil
03-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Philmore's Kwik Mart and Thenster's Weapons Galore were the last two places I've seen it for sale. Are you looking for the 1st edition hardback, or the new one with the pull out Resonator plans printed on original 20th century paper?

I might part with my copy, for a set of plans for the Dew Drop of Death when you're done........

I was hoping for the tridi first edition. I wasn't aware that it was published in the archaic paper form. Have to super wiki Caenfield and perform a brainjest so at least I'll be up to speed. Didn't realize his work was that old...

BTW I like the "Dew Drop of Death" it sticks...

Maybe you could have a pod launcher like the ammo feed and 37mm cannon in the P-39...that oval arc that sits over the breech...?

You mean as in being shot out of cannon (launched) as in the circus' of old? Only problem is that it's just not cinematic enough though being "fooped" would bring back memories of one of the most beloved weapons of Vietnam the M79. Our heroes would "Lock and Load" in the carriers launchers reminiscent of catapults of old. Alas, this won't work as the "Dew Drop of Death" has no need for forward speed to attain lift so no need to be "fooped" other than effect...

As regards 37mm cannon. Geez, the Soviets loved that caliber. Used it everywhere they could. The 50 Calibre's are light enough to allow extremely fast evasive acceleration rates. A pair of 37mm's would slow the rate down and will be reserved for later echelon force application. "Fooper" equipped Dew Drops however are lighter than the those equipped with the 50's and could be used to "soften up" an enemy whose positions exhibit artifacts of hardening saving severe instances for the 37's with armor piercing munitions.

See what's happening? A basic equipment premise is now beginning to build a repository of strategy and tactics further its already developed a moniker, D3...

2 Do List:
Gas ports/vents on the back blister need to be cut as well as hand-hold access ports for quick change-outs. LENR power unit, Caenfield force resonator driver and network feed router, flight control electronics, life support, C3I etc. needs to be squirreled into the rear pod space. HUD panel, assorted control counsels and control structures need to be conjured up front...

+Gil

SJPONeill
03-10-2010, 02:37 AM
As in launched out of a cannon - just liked the thought of all the pods racked up in the feed to be cycled down and out the launcher...was more focussed on the 37mm ammo feed in the P-39 than the cannon itself...

Agree totally re the negative effects of 37mm on the pods...

ltla9000311
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I was hoping for the tridi first edition. I wasn't aware that it was published in the archaic paper form. Have to super wiki Caenfield and perform a brainjest so at least I'll be up to speed. Didn't realize his work was that old...

BTW I like the "Dew Drop of Death" it sticks...

+Gil

The Print version isn't an "old" print. It was put into a select few of the tridi packages as a bonus collectible. After a little research, through a watermark on the paper plans, I was able to trace the printing company. It was printed by a Fisherman's Friend Printing Company, on the Central Coast of Oregon. The paper was made by hand in a commune in Central Idaho. Not much more in the way of info on the commune since the Great Divide of '74.

Well I shyed away from the tridi edition. As you know the only way to access the Ashmar tridi version was through a cranial jack. Ashmar, had to recall some of the software that the tridi version was manufactured with. Something to do with cross platform rejection in the right hemisphere of certain test subjects cortex. The right frontal lobes specifically. Back-channel rumors said most subjects were trying to dig into their craniums with whatever was at hand. Crayons, sporks, ketchup packets......not a pretty picture.

The Dew Drop is controlled by analog inputs correct? If not, seeing as how Ashmar makes the only interface for cranial jacks, I would consider a redesign if that is the case.

On a more "real" note, I love the shape of this little craft. I'm glad you like the name, COMPLETELY off the top of my head.

Can't wait for more pics and back story!

Gil
03-12-2010, 03:59 AM
The Print version isn't an "old" print. It was put into a select few of the tridi packages as a bonus collectible. After a little research, through a watermark on the paper plans, I was able to trace the printing company. It was printed by a Fisherman's Friend Printing Company, on the Central Coast of Oregon. The paper was made by hand in a commune in Central Idaho. Not much more in the way of info on the commune since the Great Divide of '74.

Well I shyed away from the tridi edition. As you know the only way to access the Ashmar tridi version was through a cranial jack. Ashmar, had to recall some of the software that the tridi version was manufactured with. Something to do with cross platform rejection in the right hemisphere of certain test subjects cortex. The right frontal lobes specifically. Back-channel rumors said most subjects were trying to dig into their craniums with whatever was at hand. Crayons, sporks, ketchup packets......not a pretty picture.

The Dew Drop is controlled by analog inputs correct? If not, seeing as how Ashmar makes the only interface for cranial jacks, I would consider a redesign if that is the case.

On a more "real" note, I love the shape of this little craft. I'm glad you like the name, COMPLETELY off the top of my head.

Can't wait for more pics and back story!

That must have been around '68 when the Frisco Hippie Commune trekked to Pocatello to deliver a life boat to the Mayor. Their reasoning went that Pokey was going to be the new West Coast Capital of the U.S. after the next big Earthquake... Caenfield was at Bezerkeley working on his magnum opus but got cheesed off with Safeway not opening on Monday's after the weekend riots. He took up residence at Stanford's school for the holistically disenchanted with Bezerkeley and became (for a short while) a Republican... He had taken up electronically amplified 12 string acoustic guitar and was doing some mean Jam at the Matrix in the Haight... Last anyone heard of him was occasional sightings high up in Big Sur but only during electrical storms which are somewhat rare there. Something about juice'in his rig for a Cosmic Sky Trip...

Early cranial jacks sold by the great grandson of "Mad Man Muntz" were a few transistors shy of working reliably. I think the term was "getting stuck with a half a load" or worse "left in the skipping groove". Little Muntzie, as he was known, was wise enough to have never used his own stuff.

Ashmar lost all their Patent rights in a nasty little intellectual property litigation fight during which it was discovered they had attempted mind control on a world wide basis. The mob that showed up at the Federal Court House didn't leave enough scraps for a rat to find... Since then it's been in the Public Domain.

Control is through a tripled encrypted / ECC protected, fiber linked brain jack. That's the headset on the human factor design dummy. The latest version is the HMM-ELAT Model 12 Mk II. Better known as the HEMILAT Mod 12 Mk II. It allows a four level hierarchical command control and coordination continuity. This allows maximum contingency alteration in a timed absolute and coordinated manner.

The seating design is coming along. Stirrups support the legs and adjust whenever the feet are moved. The reclining acceleration couches are required for the high acceleration loads that the pods are capable of. The head rest hasn't been designed in yet but its structural mount is ready. The seats linear and elevation mounting is next...

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes6W.jpg

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes5W.jpg

SJPONeill
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I would think that, due to the high G loads in all three axis and the lack of onboard inertia dampeners, the cockpit would be fliud filled to reduce the stress load on the pilot? If this was the case, then it would be more likely that the pilot would have a full face mask, or, better, a fully-enclosing head helmet - you remember how some of those government issue cranial jacks used to short out when exposed to moisture for any period...

SCEtoAUX
03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Just load the following for the .50 cals:

M903 Caliber .50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP), M962 Saboted Light Armor (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/slap.htm)

Mark 211 .50-caliber Multipurpose Ammunition (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mk211.htm)

That should take care of a few.

Gil
03-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I would think that, due to the high G loads in all three axis and the lack of onboard inertia dampeners, the cockpit would be fliud filled to reduce the stress load on the pilot? If this was the case, then it would be more likely that the pilot would have a full face mask, or, better, a fully-enclosing head helmet - you remember how some of those government issue cranial jacks used to short out when exposed to moisture for any period...

Diamalloy filament gel "pads" the pilots body against the seat. Diamalloy gels can't easily be seen so even though it's there in the illustration it doesn't show up in the rendering. The cranial jack used is the HMM-ELAT Model 12 Mk II, a triple "fiber" linked brain jack, prevents any comm-link interference such as that caused by moisture penetration in the older links.

Just load the following for the .50 cals:

M903 Caliber .50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP), M962 Saboted Light Armor (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/slap.htm)

Mark 211 .50-caliber Multipurpose Ammunition (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mk211.htm)

That should take care of a few.
Loving Care Rounds.... "That's it. I'm not going to war anymore cause I could get seriously killed next time."...

+Gil

ltla9000311
03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Well doesn't the Dew Drop have an inertial/anti-grav cancelling system? I mean, did all the back engineering from the Roswell crash just get thrown away? I've got a 2nd generation unit sitting in the foyer as we speak. It's yours no questions asked. Although the missus will be a bit miffed, she'll have to find a new planter for her prized Geraniums.

In response to the big Migration to Pocatello due to the Great Divide, I think Maynard James Keenan said it best;

"Learn to swim, learn to swim, Mom's gonna fix it all soon, Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought'a be......"

Gil
03-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Well doesn't the Dew Drop have an inertial/anti-grav cancelling system? I mean, did all the back engineering from the Roswell crash just get thrown away? I've got a 2nd generation unit sitting in the foyer as we speak. It's yours no questions asked. Although the missus will be a bit miffed, she'll have to find a new planter for her prized Geraniums.

In response to the big Migration to Pocatello due to the Great Divide, I think Maynard James Keenan said it best;

"Learn to swim, learn to swim, Mom's gonna fix it all soon, Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought'a be......"

Caenfields Force Resonators work at Planck distance wavelengths (1.616252×10−35). Force Phase resonator (the correct term) does not cancel but instead changes the phase of the gravity force vector. A 180 degree phase shift translates into a lift vector, 90 degrees a propulsion vector. Caenfield discovered that it was the even sub-multiples of Planck distance resonation that effectively doubled the force for each even sub-multiple (i.e. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc.).

Roswell stuff was close but failed to implement Caenfields force doubling trick. Caenfield supposedly worked at Site 51 for awhile before he retired to the seclusion of Big Sur. Roswell may have been the gig where he picked up on the alien stuff and made the discovery that the alien's had missed the really important stuff in their rush to explore the big empty...

You have to remember that James Keenan was infused with an extreme assortment of herbal medications when he proclaimed that. Some say he was a having a youthful flashback of the time when he and his brothers messed up and accidentally slit the bottom seam of their above ground Doughboy pool. The resulting mini tsunami washed the bunch of them out onto the sandy ground and down a rocky embankment in the Nevada desert. This all happened in the back lot of his Winnemucca, boyhood home...

+Gil

Gil
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Looking at the last render of the GravPod I realized it was missing smoke trails from the blazing guns. Tried a program that I've had around for awhile called "Project Dogwaffle". It's an artist style drawing package that's got a fairly straight forward UI...

+Gil

P.S. In the last post the James Keenan I'm referring to is the astrophysicist not the musician...

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/../gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes4_GunSmkW.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)

ltla9000311
03-26-2010, 07:23 AM
P.S. In the last post the James Keenan I'm referring to is the astrophysicist not the musician...

I was wondering if you caught the reference.;)

Gil
03-29-2010, 05:06 AM
"Running just to stay in one place" is apropos. A few experiments using the render/shader to apply "decals" had a less than desired effect. Reverting to the old Project-Cut and Materialize is still the preferred method in Rhino (one can always hope). Also relearned the use of "alpha masks" in Photoshop. One of the most powerful of all effect tools. And yes, I'm still working on the F-86. Just need a break every so often to freshen the perspective...

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes7W.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/gallery/data/500/medium/Composite_Tst_HRes7W.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)

Gil
03-29-2010, 05:12 AM
<Delete- Double post due to squirrely server machinations>

B-Manic
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Gil - have you seen this NASA, single-person noiseless electric stealth plane (the Puffin).A present day/near future version of what you are designing

NASA Plans Puffin, A Single-person Noiseless Electric Plane - Gizmo Watch (http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/nasa-plans-puffin-a-single-person-noiseless-electric-plane/)

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/01/20/puffin-single-person-electric-plane_sBaPv_54.jpg

Lex
04-22-2010, 05:00 AM
I completely missed this Gil... I wonder apart from cutting surfaces up into colour patches and applying decals, have you found a usable way of applying textures on the entire piece of model, just like some polygon modeler program? I am under the impression that Rhino fails badly in the texturing department...

Also how did you model an organic human shape in such detail? What is the primary tool you used in that?

Oh and by the way... Did your pod bear any relation to this? :D
http://www.iphonematters.com/images/uploads/china-unicom-logo.gif

Gil
06-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Gil - have you seen this NASA, single-person noiseless electric stealth plane (the Puffin).A present day/near future version of what you are designingLate in answering but, yes, I did look at the simulation. Couldn't find where they put the ballistic parachute. Antigrav's definitely the wave of the future...,

I completely missed this Gil... I wonder apart from cutting surfaces up into colour patches and applying decals, have you found a usable way of applying textures on the entire piece of model, just like some polygon modeler program? I am under the impression that Rhino fails badly in the texturing department...

Also how did you model an organic human shape in such detail? What is the primary tool you used in that?

Oh and by the way... Did your pod bear any relation to this? :D
http://www.iphonematters.com/images/uploads/china-unicom-logo.gif

Acutally it's an ölzii, or never-ending knot, a traditional Mongolian motif symbolizing the dynamic expanse of the universe and the endless cycles of life and death. It brings long life and prosperity, and drives away wild beasts and evil spirits. This symbol is used widely in Mongolia as a decorative symbol. It had the right look.

The recumbent chair articulation triggered a new invention in the way in which reclining chairs can be positioned. That took time in another direction to develop it.

The human figure is from Poser "Apollo" fame posed prior to its import into the pod.

As for applying texture there are no easy answers yet. I'm hearing noises that some relief may be on the horizon with Rhino 5.0 but then again that's just noise...,

+Gil

P.S. Does give me an idea though...,

B-Manic
06-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Acutally it's an ölzii, or never-ending knot, a traditional Mongolian motif symbolizing the dynamic expanse of the universe and the endless cycles of life and death. It brings long life and prosperity, and drives away wild beasts and evil spirits. This symbol is used widely in Mongolia as a decorative symbol.

And here I thought you had been peeking at the bottom of my Himalayan singing bowl.

Gil
06-24-2010, 11:59 PM
And here I thought you had been peeking at the bottom of my Himalayan singing bowl.

It gets a lot of use all over mainland Asia. What key is your singing bowl? It might be a good accompaniment to my new fondness for Mongolian throat singing...,

+Gil

B-Manic
06-25-2010, 11:29 AM
It gets a lot of use all over mainland Asia. What key is your singing bowl? It might be a good accompaniment to my new fondness for Mongolian throat singing...,

+Gil

I believe it is an F but I'm tone deaf. Have you ever seen Paul Pena in the 1999 documentary film Genghis Blues. His music from the first half of his career touched on Delta blues, jazz, morna, flamenco, folk and rock and roll. he is probably best known for writing the song "Jet Airliner," for the Steve Miller Band.

Pena attended a performance of Tuvan throat-singing at the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco on February 6, 1993. He performed an impromptu Tuvan song in the kargyraa style, which impressed famous Tuvan throatsinger Kongar-ool Ondar. Ondar invited Pena to sing in the second international Khoomei Symposium in 1995 in Kyzyl, Tuva. Pena travelled to Tuva and was the first westerner to compete in the Symposium. He placed first in the Kargyraa contest and also won the "audience favorite" category.

B-Manic
06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
There are some clips from the documentary on youtube . . .

YouTube - Genghis Blues (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Genghis+Blues&aq=f)

Gil
06-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Paul's an interesting character. I wasn't aware that he wrote "Jet Airplane'..., I find it interesting that the music has a similar "drone" like quality which reminds me of Scotch bagpipe music, now ain't that strange?...,

+Gil

Gil
02-10-2013, 02:53 AM
The concept of an anti-grav vehicle seems to keep reappearing in my imagination.

An action render frame of the new vehicle is presented below...,

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/Action_Render_High_Sun_pwr47.jpg

Gil
02-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Canyon and khaki sun screen...,

+Gil

http://www.papermodelers.com/gallery/data/500/Composite_Action_Render_R3W_Seq_S5.jpg