PDA

View Full Version : FGMM B-24 Princess

KCStephens
03-08-2010, 08:13 AM
I plan to build the "Princess" version of the B-24 with a few little extras added here and there. I hope to get started later today. This is gong to be a lot of fun.

jagolden01
03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I plan to build the "Princess" version of the B-24 with a few little extras added here and there. I hope to get started later today. This is gong to be a lot of fun.

Nice version pick, Kevin.

KCStephens
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Here is the official start to this build. I printed out all 13 sheets and am ready to begin cutting. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

cjwalas
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
You're a brave man, Kevin. Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one! Good luck!
Chris

Paperwarrior
03-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Kevin, I'm looking forward to seeing this thread. That is a hefty bomber.
13 sheets, eh? Sounds like we are going to be doing as much for paper and ink manufacturers, too.

Bill Poe
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I have been looking at the B 24 for a year. Just haven't gotten up the nerve. Look forward to your build with great anticipation . Bill

willygoat
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
This will be a great one Kevin. The image quality on that model is just amazing. John Dell is the man when it comes to textures.

KCStephens
03-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys...

Paperwarrior, there are 13 sheets but most of the parts a really big and easy to cut out so it's not really as bad as it sounds.

So far so good...Construction is under way.

I already made my first mistake and had to reprint sheet 1 ...at first, I cut off the glue tabs and was going to make them into joining strips so that I could get flush joints ...what a mistake... I realized quickly that this was not the way to go for this model. However, I was able to replace the bottom glue tab along the center line with a joining strip making a smooth seam along the length of the aircraft. Maybe if there was more internal support this approach would work better, but not for this model.

I made my first little modification by adding a wheel well for the front landing gear. This was pretty strait forward. I used a bit of foam core and some left over scrap grey pieces from my goofed up first attempt at sheet one.

I think if I had it to do over again... I would print this on heavier card stock...I used 67# vellum bristol. I think 110# index would have been a better choice. I'd re-do it, but I don't want to use up all of my printer ink...so unless it really becomes a problem, I'm going to keep moving forward as is.

KCStephens
03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Almost forgot....Quick question for 'ya...
The instructions tell you to add ballast to the nose so that it will set properly on it landing gear. Any ideas on how much is enough?

rickstef
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
a penny or two should be good, or if you have shot or fishing weights, about 5 to 10 should help

Alcides
03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
13 sheets!!! How big is going to be ?

Nice start and thanks for the tips, maybe someday I've space for that size.

willygoat
03-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I think I glued in a couple of nickles to mine. It was pretty solid with that.

Darwin
03-09-2010, 12:20 AM
a penny or two should be good, or if you have shot or fishing weights, about 5 to 10 should help
A sad commentary on the value of a dollar....using pennies will be whole lot cheaper than using fishing weights.

jagolden01
03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Nice start Kevin.
Look forward to your work on the nacelles and fitting to the wings. I can never get that to look good. Hope your build can help me.

RyanShort
03-09-2010, 07:36 AM
A sad commentary on the value of a dollar....using pennies will be whole lot cheaper than using fishing weights.
You could probably go out for a walk with a plastic (gasp) bag and find a lead weight or two. You might even be able to stop at an automotive shop and they'll probably give you a couple to cut up with dikes and stick into the noses.

Ryan

KCStephens
03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Everyone, Thanks for the feedback regarding the whole ballast issue....I ended up gluing 4 pennies together and mounted them to the inside above the wheel well.

This morning I got up and put the windows together...

This was not an easy job...Never having built an airplane like this before it was quite a challenge. I wish my fingers were about 3" longer it would have made the job much easier. Now I know what those guys who build ships in a bottle go through. Also...any one who can build one of these with transparent "glass" windows made out of tape or alike...my hat goes off to you...I don't think my skills or patients will ever be up to that (I'm no Bomarc - believe me). I have sooo much glue slopped around in that nose section that you would not want to see inside of it anyway.

Over all I am quite satisfied with my progress... The parts are beginning to shape up and get a bit stiffer now that the windows are in place. Maybe the paper is not as much of an issue as I first thought. Next, I will build the center section with the wing supports. Once this is added to the nose section I think it will really become much stronger.

I understand Chips philosophy about keeping his models simple and easy to build, that's fine for the smaller birds, but on a larger model like this I think formers would actually help make it even easier to build. I'm not saying that this is a bad model or anything like that, please don't get me wrong...in fact, everything so far has fit perfectly... Just that cutting some simple formers out of 1/4" foam core is not that big of a deal...Not meaning to cause any problems, I'll close my mouth now...just my two cents, that's all.

jagolden01
03-09-2010, 09:10 AM
That whole section looks great, Kevin. Windows look really good.

I hear you about the formers. When I built the Ju88 I used formers drawn from what FG supplied (yes-formers!). They were not intended for section to section building, but stuffed down to where they fit they really helped.
I'd like them to offer some formers on many models.

willygoat
03-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree about the formers. The B-52 and B-29 would benefit from them greatly. But, at the same time, being able to build something like that with out them is amazing.

Wyvern
03-09-2010, 02:28 PM
That nose section looks GREAT, Kevin!

Wyvern

peter taft
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
You are off to a great start on what is a fantastic aircraft - look forward to the next up-date ;)

Bomarc
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Looks like a B-24 nose to me Kevin. Good start man, can't wait to see the rest. Seeing all these great FG build has me tempted to throw my hat in the ring.

Mike

rockpaperscissor
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Looks very neat and precise to me. You'd never know the nose glass caused you any problems at all.

Alcides
03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I understand Chips philosophy about keeping his models simple and easy to build, that's fine for the smaller birds, but on a larger model like this I think formers would actually help make it even easier to build.

I agree with you, with some models a couple of formers are in order for example in the me-323 the used a box inside the wings to keep them straigt, it's easier and keeps better the shape just a couple of formers.

Your build looks very nice. Keep it up.

KCStephens
03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
A little more progress...

Yesterday I added the center section of the fuselage with the wing support going through it. I beefed up the wing spar with some foam core.

If you haven't used foam core yet in your paper models, I highly reccomend it...you'll find a million uses for it....It cuts very easy, glues well, and is very strong and light weight.

Last night I tried to add the inside wing sections...but ran into big problems.
The one thing that I really wanted to do on this model was to recess the landing gear wells into the wings. That is where all my troubles began...Forming and mounting the wing with the well cut out just did not work. Maybe after I get more experience in modeling aircraft it's something I'd try again, but for this build I'm going back to the original design.

This morning I printed out a new wing section and went to town cutting forming and gluing. This was not as easy as one might first think. However, the result turned out ok (not up to my usual standards) but I can live with it. On the bottom side of the wing there ended up being a gap between the wing and fuselage that's about 3/16" wide. To fix it, I cut a filler strip form my failed first attempt and covered it up. It doesn't look too bad.

One more comment....If I would not have reinforced the wing spar I think I probably would have been starting this project over again or giving up all together. Once the wing is formed and slid over the spar there is very little contact between the two surfaces...It's very difficult to figure out where you can apply the glue so that it will not distort the shape of the wing. The additional foam reinforcing that I added gave me the gluing surface that I needed.

Hopefully, later today I can finish up the other side, then move onto the back half of the airplane.

jagolden01
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Coming along really nice, Kevin.
Foam-Cor is a wonderful thing for models.

dwgannon
03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I have built all of these. two cents should work.

30-06
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Kevin - It looks great. I've been building Armor & Helo's for so long I too had some trouble remebering how a fixed wing goes together. I have tried the FG Waco CG-4 twice and ran into the problems of gap & mis-alignment. Keep after it - you're doing great.
Gregor

cdwheatley
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
This is looking really good so far, can't wait to see it finished :).

KCStephens
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Moving right along....

She's getting a bit longer. Next, I will work on the rear control surfaces.

Texman
03-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Looking pretty sweet there Kevin

KCStephens
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Ray.

Also I forgot to ask....For those of you who have built this aircraft I need a bit of help with the tail gun... For the life of me I cant figure out how it goes together...All of the photos I seen are just B&W little detail. So, If you have a photo or dont mind taking one I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Papercut
03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
That is a clean build and looking good.:eek:Rick

peter taft
03-11-2010, 07:35 PM
She's coming along just great - that extra you have given the wing spar will certainly do the trick. Nice, clean work indeed ;)

Alcides
03-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Very nice shape. I want to build one too.

willygoat
03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe this will help Kevin
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/IMG_2956.jpg

airdave
03-12-2010, 07:40 AM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/outlawzairbrushcom/hobby%20links/JohnDellB-24TailTurret.jpg

Blackronin
03-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Very nice work. I'm impressed and overwhelmed by being here competing with such skilled crafters.

I should have turned right to the kids league and somewhere I turned left and I feel a little ahhh... can someone please help me to cross the street, mister?...

cjwalas
03-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Looking good, Kevin. I haven't gotten this kit yet, but I've been tempted by it. I do worry about the wings on some of the larger FG kits. Yours is coming along very smoothly and cleanly. As usual, great work!
Chris

KCStephens
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your help with the photos, guys, I'm sure they will come in handy here shortly.

In the mean time I've been working on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. To help add some thickness and rigidity to them, I made filler pieces out of a Styrofoam meat tray. To make the parts, I first made a template by tracing around the part on some transparent vellum paper then attached it to the foam with spray adhesive and cut it out. After the pieces were cut out I shaped them with a fingernail emery board. I used spray adhesive to attach it to the cut out piece and then formed the part around it. Hope this all makes sense....That's it for now.

Papercut
03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all your help with the photos, guys, I'm sure they will come in handy here shortly.

In the mean time I've been working on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. To help add some thickness and rigidity to them, I made filler pieces out of a Styrofoam meat tray. To make the parts, I first made a template by tracing around the part on some transparent vellum paper then attached it to the foam with spray adhesive and cut it out. After the pieces were cut out I shaped them with a fingernail emery board. I used spray adhesive to attach it to the cut out piece and then formed the part around it. Hope this all makes sense....That's it for now.Hey Kevin, you have just answered a question that really has kept me from starting the B-36D, that was how to strengthen the structure/wings of this beast, and you my friend have given me an insight to something I will try to see if it works better than just stuffing in tissue and or plastic bags! Thanks:DRick

Paperwarrior
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Kevin, this is impressive. You've really given us some great tips as well as a beautiful build thus far. Thanks tons!! I've thought of building one of these FG B-24s, but just haven't gotten to it for numerous reasons. This thread is an inspiration to start.

cjwalas
03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I've used styrofoam trays for support on a number of models and it really does come in handy. It's do easy to form, yet has enough integrity to make a difference. Spray glue does have a tendency to eat into it. I use regular Tacky glue.
Kevin, I'm really enjoying seeing this one come together!
Chris

jagolden01
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Looking really fine, Kevin. Have to remember the meat tray tip.

spgifford
03-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Would green floral foam work as well as the meat packing trays? It seems the floral foam would be easier to form but I'm not sure of its structural strength.

By the way, the B-24 is looking great.

KCStephens
03-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Another update...

Thanks again for all of your generous comments on the "Princess".

Since I've last posted I've started working on the four engines, nacelles, and cowls...This is going along very well. I have to say that the parts are fitting together exceptionally well. My hat is off to you John Dell..Great design. I drilled out a hole in the center of each engine and the attached gear reducer and fitted it with a length of aluminum tubing. This tubing will hold the props in place in the future. stay tuned....One helpful hint for anyone considering this build...(I read this in another thread here not too long ago..and I'm glad I followed their advice) When building the cowls DO NOT cut out the center circle until you have the part assembled. If you do, you are asking for trouble, as it will be very difficult to glue with out the part getting really deformed.

spgifford, your idea of green floral foam would probably work just fine, however, I have not tried it. The foam meat tray that I used was just something that I found laying around the house plus it was the same thickness that I was looking for.

Peace,

jagolden01
03-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Looking great, Kevin. You're at the part that gives me all the trouble with mulit-engine planes.
I'd love to build one of the versions. Hope your build will point me in the right direction.

ghshinn
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Kevin,

I used two pennies when I put it together, and they worked fine. May have been overkill though, since others have said one did the job.

I can tell by your pictures that your Princess will be better than mine. It was my first attempt at a large model, and I had a difficult time. I finished it, but wasn't satisfied, so I'll be watching what you do for tips for my next effort.

Happy modeling,

Garland

Wyvern
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Your B-24 is looking awesome, Kevin!

For those you you looking for cheap, thin, styro to use for reinforcements, another source (that I use) is egg cartons. The lid usually has two flat rectangles that can be cut out to give you two sheets of approximately 3" x 5" to cut parts, braces, etc. out of. One more tool in the ol' arsenal....

Wyvern

birder
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey Kevin this is not a tank! Nice job there:)

bob martin
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Very Nice:D

KCStephens
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Thank you all for your kind words....

Wyvern, The foam egg crate thing is a great idea...One that I have not thought of...Seems to me that the foam would work really well as it is not quite as thick as the meat tray variety.

Birder, You are right...It's not a tank! For some strange reason I think I should be adding tracks to it.....:D

A little more progress...I have completed the 4 engine assemblies and they are ready to be mounted to the wings. (that's a job for another day)
Next, I will begin working on the landing gear. (no tracks on this one!)

jagolden01
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Clean and crisp! Also very good consistency.

Bomarc
03-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Just checked in Kevin, you've been busy! Cowls/nacelles look neat and precise. You sure you used to just build armor?

Mike

peter taft
03-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Always loved the shape they gave to these cowlings :) Nicely made Kevin, very nice indeed ;)

KCStephens
03-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks, JA and Mike...

A little more progress overnight...
The nacelles are in place on the wings and I started working on the landing gear.

First thing that I have to say is that attaching the nacelles to the wings is the most nerve racking thing that I have had to do up to this point in my paper modeling career. Once they were "glued up" there was no turning back. Getting them in just the right place at just the right angle with out smearing glue all over the place was quite a challenge. However with a lot of patients and a few four letter words I finally succeeded. I don't think they look too bad for my first attempt. With more practice I feel future builds will go together much smoother.

I started working on the landing gear...as you can see I'm pretty much building this "stock" with the "squared-off" tires and all... I thought about rounding off the edges...but for this one I'm leaving it alone.

Note about the orange foam in the background....I have to tell you that this I one of my favorite recent purchases. I got it at AC Moore (Probably available at any craft store though) in the kids craft section. It's used as a bulletin board that kids can decorate with other pieces of foam. The disk is about 9" round and a good 1/2" thick...and over all it's pretty dense stuff. It makes forming curved parts a breeze. Much better than a mouse pad. I had a smaller piece of similar material that I used in the past...so when I saw this I just had to get it. And for $3.00 you cant go wrong. Plus, I really like the bright orange color. :)

cdwheatley
03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
I know what you mean about positioning those nacelles, it's something I'm NOT looking forward to on my 299! You did a great job though, and everything looks straight and true. This is looking fantastic Kevin - not far to go now :).

modelperry
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Four letter words? Not you. You seem too cultured for that. Maybe, drat, darn, poop or crud?

This looks REALLY good! hope to see it at Army Heritage day(s) in May.

Greg

bob martin
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey Man:eek: Really COOL:cool: I'll let you park beside my Strawberry @%$^$# Any time:D

Texman
03-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Coming along very nice Kevin. Especially for a "treadhead" ;O

ghshinn
03-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

rockpaperscissor
03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
This is an exceptionally fine build. Beautiful job.

cjwalas
03-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Looking really great and up to your usual high standard. I wish I could get my FG builds to look that clean.
Chris

KCStephens
03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
As always, thanks for all your kind words...:)

It's been a pretty successful day here in beautiful York, PA...

I managed to get quite a bit done on the little lady today. My biggest accomplishment was finishing up the landing gear. I modified it very slightly, by recessing the nose gear into the fuselage and adding doors....other than that, It's stock "out-of-the-box". I considered recessing the main gear into the wings, but that proved to be way more trouble than I was willing to deal with. Another nice custom touch that would improve the overall look would have been to round off the edges of the tires...but again, way more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. REMEMBER This is a simple Fiddlers Green model.

So far, I am pleased as punch with how everything is going together. All parts fit exceptionally well, only a few little pieces need a bit of minor trimming but I guess that's true with most any model you build.

This build is quickly coming to an end...Just a few more things to add here and there to finish her up..The rear MG turret, horz & vert stabilizers, wing tips, antennas and props to name a few. And that's it, she'll be ready for a test flight :eek:..just kidding

Here's a couple of pictures....Please enjoy (....my personal favorite is the money shot of the "Princess" nose art...:D She's one swell look'en gal)

Please stay tuned for more.....

jagolden01
03-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Absolutey superb, Kevin. An extra WOW! for the landing gear!

ghshinn
03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I hope you plan to send some pics to Chip. Especially the ones of the modifications you've made.

Garland

cjwalas
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Beautiful, and I second the WOW on the landing gear!
Chris

B-Manic
03-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Looks very impressive Kevin - I give a big WOW for the landing gear also.

Cheers
Douglas

peter taft
03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm with the other guys.. very nice build thus far, and the cart is exceptional for an FG model ;)

birder
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Still looks really nice Kevin!, (my old one may have to be replaced by another build! It has been hanging from my son's ceiling for 6 years or so but yours is a nicer build I must say, not that it would be surprising looking at the detail you put into your models:cool:) I filled the forward gear wheel with dimes to weight the nose...

John Dell
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I've been watching the progress on this and it is really truning out great! One thing, the nose wheel doors on the B-24D opened inwards. When I was researching these models I was surprised that many B-24Ds did not have ball turrets. A couple of years ago I came across some photos of the Strawberry Bitch being delivered to the Air Force Museum in the late 50's. And there was the ball turret. The museum decided to put the B-24's ball turret on the B-17 they had at the time. The museum now plans to re-enstall the turret onto the B-24D. So I guess I'm going to have to add a ball turret to the Strawberry Bitch kit.

KCStephens
03-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Sorry I don't have any new up dates on the B-24... I've just been way too busy with school this past week. I really don't have much left to go, only a few small details here and there and oh I almost forgot...the props...I hope to have it finished up over the weekend.

Thanks again for all of the nice comments guys....and a big thank you to John Dell, for setting me straight on the front landing gear...I never would have guessed the doors opened inward....Now they will be coming off.

I'm looking forward to getting the other FG bombers...I can't wait to build either the B-17 or B-29 next.

KCStephens
04-01-2010, 10:16 PM
The B-24 is ALMOST DONE... I promise...only 3 more props to go!

Sorry... I'd attach a couple of photos but I need to get some fresh batteries for the camera...:mad:

Anyway, I have one quick question for you experts.... Here goes...Is there any rigging on this aircraft? i.e. from the antenna to the vertical stabilizers or somewhere else? I checked some photos but don't recall seeing any..just want to make sure.

Thanks for the advice.

peter taft
04-02-2010, 04:09 AM
The B-24 is ALMOST DONE... I promise...only 3 more props to go!

Sorry... I'd attach a couple of photos but I need to get some fresh batteries for the camera...:mad:

Anyway, I have one quick question for you experts.... Here goes...Is there any rigging on this aircraft? i.e. from the antenna to the vertical stabilizers or somewhere else? I checked some photos but don't recall seeing any..just want to make sure.

Thanks for the advice.

I just trawled through many images of the old girl, but no wire antenna to be found, even on a line drawing one doesn't show up
http://380th.org/HISTORY/Images/pt5-J-Types_files/image021.jpg

airdave
04-02-2010, 06:07 AM
B-24 AIRCRAFT ANTENNA SYSTEMSThere are six separate antennas on the aircraft:
* The Command Set Antenna is a single wire which extends aft from alongside the top turret to the top of the left vertical stabilizer.
* The Liaison Fixed Antenna is also a single wire which extends aft from alongside the top turret to the top of the right vertical stabilizer.
* The Radio Compass Sense Antenna is a vertical whip type mounted on top of the aircraft at Station 5.1 and accessible through a junction box mounted in the top compartment of the life raft area.
* The Marker Beacon Antenna is mounted under the fuselage below the catwalk on standoff insulators. The lead in is at Station 5.0
* The Radio Compass Loop is mounted topside at Station 5.3 to 5.4.
* The Liaison "Trailing" Antenna is a single wire wound on an electrically operated reel located under the flight deck.

*The trailing wire antenna
The trailing wire antenna is one type of radio antenna found on a B-24 Liberator bomber. It is used for long range radio transmission on medium or low frequencies. It is 150 feet of fine, flexible copper wire wound around a spool type reel and weighted at the trailing end by a 10-pound lead weight. When not in use the weighted end fits flush against the fuselage on the undercarriage of the bombers. When long-range transmission is necessary, the reel type mechanism, located in the radio compartment, is cranked out so that the weighted wire trails below and behind the plane. The training manual reads, "know your length of antenna with which you are operating. Full transmission may save the life of your crew."

shrike
04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
When long-range transmission is necessary, the reel type mechanism, located in the radio compartment, is cranked out so that the weighted wire trails below and behind the plane. The training manual reads, "know your length of antenna with which you are operating. Full transmission may save the life of your crew."

And it wasn't unusual for a collection of weights to accrue in the trees, bushes and fences at the end of the runways either <G>

peter taft
04-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Brilliant Dave ;)

KCStephens
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Dave thanks for all the info about the many different antennas on the B-24... I decided to just finish the model using the "Stock ones" that were included with the kit....I don't want to spend any more time on this project, it's time to move on to something new.

I finished everything up on Friday I've just been too busy to get around to posting the final pictures.

This airplane is a lot bigger than I first imagined. With it's 27" wingspan, finding a good place to display her is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Here are a few images of the props followed by some final pictures of the whole shebang...I hope to get some better photos outside under natural sunlight to post here in the near future so stay tuned.

Enjoy.

mchale
04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
very nice kevin very nice indeed

BARX2
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Excellent build, Kevin! I hadn't been interested in the B-24 til I saw your build. I just bought it from FG. :)

airdave
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
nice nice nice!

Texman
04-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Well done Kevin.

jagolden01
04-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Beautifully done, Kevin!

willygoat
04-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks great Kevin!!! I like how you built up the props a bit. Great work. I really like how the B-24 prop hubs work too. I use them for all of the big FG planes.

Wyvern
04-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Kevin, that is one of the best FG builds I've ever seen. Simply beautiful! I think you've got a strong contender there!

Wyvern

peter taft
04-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Kevin, that is one of the best FG builds I've ever seen. Simply beautiful! I think you've got a strong contender there!

Wyvern

Totally agree - Brilliant work ;)

ringmaster
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Everyone, Thanks for the feedback regarding the whole ballast issue....I ended up gluing 4 pennies together and mounted them to the inside above the wheel well.

I understand Chips philosophy about keeping his models simple and easy to build, that's fine for the smaller birds, but on a larger model like this I think formers would actually help make it even easier to build. I'm not saying that this is a bad model or anything like that, please don't get me wrong...in fact, everything so far has fit perfectly... Just that cutting some simple formers out of 1/4" foam core is not that big of a deal...Not meaning to cause any problems, I'll close my mouth now...just my two cents, that's all.
Have you noticed that he always includes one or two cross section drawings that are actually former templates.

bob martin
04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Fantastic Kevin!:D A real winner.:) Nice and clean. Love the detail on the props as well.;)

Bomarc
04-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Terrific job Kevin. A real winner, you get my vote!

Mike

Mauri
04-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Kevin,
No doubt you have done a terrific job here. Just love the modifications and improvements you added here and there (those props simply rock!). I want to thank you for sharing all this with us... any chance you can build that beautiful Ju 52 from Fg in a similar fashion? :)

Don Boose
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Beautiful model, Kevin. I'm seeing it for the first time today. Look forward to seeing it up close at Army Heritage Day next month.

Don

KCStephens
04-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your kind words with this Great Big Thank You!...I've just been so busy with other stuff lately finding the extra time to do anything not school or family related has been very difficult.

Willygoat.... I agree the FG prop hubs worked out very nice.They were quite simple to build - just roll and glue a long strip around itself. This meathod sure beats trying to build them out of a cylinder with fold over petals at the end....

Ringmaster.... Yes, I've seen the cross section drawings on many of the FG models....Guess I'm just too lazy (or busy) to actually use them to make up the formers, especially for this model. Since my time was so limited, I set myself in 100% building mode, no time for a lot of extras on this one...However, in the future, I plan on taking more time to play around with the whole former idea.....

Mauri.... I agree...The JU-52 sure is one beautiful model....It's in my pile (hard drive) However, to do it the justice that it deserves I can't even begin to think about building it until I have more free time. Right now, I just have way too many other irons in the fire that need my attention.... Besides, I've got to get back to work on that Darn Sherman!

Don....It's good to hear from you again...I am also looking forward to Army Heritage Day next month in Carsile.

It should be interesting...with the three big bombers on display...Bomarks "Orlik 8-Ball", your ""MM Hampton"...and the "FG Princess" all in a row...Heck, we'll need an extra table just to display these 3 models! Oh...and I can't forget about Greg's Scud launcher...There goes another 3 feet of display space!

Fun fun fun....I can't wait!

John Dell
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I just want to add my "well done". Thats a very clean and handsome build.

cjwalas
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Great stuff, Kevin. Congratulations on another very fine build! How about some photos of the three bombers in line when you get there?!
Chris

waynemac
01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
does anyone make a nose gun turret for the FG B24 to make it an "H"? My late father-in-law flew one with the 489th out of Halesworth, England and I've made the FG B24D, and might consider a recolor with the nose turret as a 489th B24"H".

John Bowden
01-05-2013, 12:12 PM
eCardmodels has a H model from John Dell

Here's a link to one of them

1/48 B-24H Liberator The Cat's (Ass), 8th AF 1944 Paper Model - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable (http://ecardmodels.com/liberator-cats-1944-paper-model-p-2084.html)

john

Texman
01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
There are B-24J's and H's available at ecardmodels.com. Just look for designer John Dell Models.