PDA

View Full Version : FGMM B-17 Olive Man O War

BARX2
03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I've been building some Fiddler's Green models lately, so I guess I'll jump in here for the fun of it. I plan to re-scale to 1/72 and glaze the windows. No other modifications, so I guess that qualifies as Improved Stock. Let me know if I'm mistaken. Looking forward to this, but I probably won't start build for about two weeks. I need to finish the B-29 and then I have an out of town trip planned for next week.

jagolden01
03-08-2010, 03:31 PM
No rush, plenty of time.

mchale
03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
that one is on my list to

cjwalas
03-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together. The clear glazing IMHO is a must on these models, even with no interior detail. Great choice!
Chris

rockpaperscissor
03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
One of my favs. Always wanted to build it - never did. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

willygoat
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
should be a great one! The nose section could be fun. You should glaze the ball turret too :D

BARX2
03-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I'll see how it goes. I already began printing it. I'm using Kinko's glossy card stock, but using my ink jet printer. It's looking good.

Papercut
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Looking forward to this one, and your print method sounds wonderful. I do hope to add to the collection soon this and the B-29.:DRick

willygoat
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I've heard about the Kinkos cardstock before. Does it require the use of CA glue, or does regular Aleene's work on it?

Paperwarrior
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm sure this will be well worth the wait.
I have a couple of projects to finish prior to beginning, too.
Most are on the "Honey Do" list. :(

KCStephens
03-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Great Choice! I really this one as well.

BARX2
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
It glues just fine with regular glue. I use Tombow Mono Aqua. I'm sure it would work just as well with PVA. I made the Canon green sea turtle with Kinko's paper. I had the model printed there. It went together great with regular glue.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jepolch/GreenSeaTurtle#

cdwheatley
03-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I've had this one printed out for some time, will be interested to see how it goes together.

BARX2
04-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow! I can't believe I started this thread almost six weeks ago! I have been very busy with out of town trips, etc., etc. I began working on the model earlier this month, but haven't gotten around to posting any pictures yet. Here they are. I'm cutting off FG's glue tabs and making my own to create neater seams. Otherwise, it's stock. I don't even think I'm going to do any clear glass. I messed around with the nose and just couldn't get anything right, so I guess it will be paper all the way.

BARX2
04-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm using the glossy card stock from Kinko's/Fedex printed on my Epson Stylus 1400. I gave the sheets a quick spray of Krylon matte clear.

BARX2
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
After this post I'm going to get back to work on the model before I get sidetracked again!

KCStephens
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Looks good so far...adding your own glue tabs is the way to go...really makes for a much nicer joint. Look forward to seeing more...

ghshinn
04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
This is looking very good. Any trouble with alignment when using butt joints?

Garland

BARX2
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Everything fits perfectly - so far. :)

rockpaperscissor
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
It's coming along very well. I second Kevin's comment regarding making your own glue tabs. It's well worth the extra effort.

BARX2
05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Well, this model has been giving me some problems. The main wing sections are designed quite strangely (to me), with a glue tab at the leading edge. I had to build them three times before I was satisfied, but I'm still not very happy with them. Also, this glossy card stock from Kinko's worked great with a simpler model, but it's a little heavy for this 1/72 scale B-17. Nevertheless, I will push on and finish it. Not going to win any prizes, but hopefully it will look something like a B-17. :)

BARX2
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
These pictures show how I curved the halves of the wing sections before gluing. I found that if I glued first, it was just about impossible to get a decent curve of the leading edge.

cjwalas
05-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Your problems with the kit certainly don't show. This looks like it's going to be a great looking model!
Chris

Doubting Thomas
05-05-2010, 06:11 PM
The FG B-17 looks great, and a lot easier to build too.

I found a Model Art one on the internet and I look at the instructions,
then the parts sheet, go back to the instructions again. Then I close the file
and say to myself it looks way too complicated.

When I print it out and start cutting the parts, then I will believe it can be done in paper.

KCStephens
05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Joe, It's really looking great so far...I know what you mean about the design of the inside wing sections.....It is kind of tricky to build as two separate halves and all. Since you are building at a reduced size would it be possible to edit the image and digitally paste the two halves together onto one sheet via some paint program before printing. That way you would only be working with one part rather than two.

BARX2
05-06-2010, 06:54 AM
That's a great idea - if I knew how to do that. :) Anyway, they're done. It's probably just me being fat fingered.

flightsimmer2010
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
im just wondering.. when i printed out that same model it looked more ummm earthy brown then drab olive:(:(.. and i had trouble with the wings too

Swampfox
05-06-2010, 09:42 AM
im just wondering.. when i printed out that same model it looked more ummm earthy brown then drab olive:(:(.. and i had trouble with the wings too

This most likely because your printer/monitor set up is slightly-or a lot different.

What you see on you monitor is not what you always get from your printer.

To get accurate color (what you see is what you get) you need to do a monitor-printer calibration. Most of the time this is a very complex and expensive process and is only done by print shops that must come pretty close to what the customer expects.

Google 'calibrate monitor to printer' or vs and see what comes up. It takes time to do on you own but I'm sure there are instructions out there if you feel that your system is out of whack.

KEEP IN MIND, this is not something you should attempt if you don't know what your doing. You can jack you system up really bad and if you think you have color problems now....... do this calibration wrong and you'll see just how bad it can get.

BARX2
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
The colors look quite a bit different depending on the paper I use. This glossy paper gives the most vivid color, but the ink tends to run together a little. Plain typing paper seems a little darker than it should be. OfficeMax brand 65 lb. BrightWhite card stock is the worst. The colors come out very light, like the paper isn't very absorbent. Glossy photo paper gives the best colors, but is virtually impossible to work with.

rockpaperscissor
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Great job on those wings! I'm building something right now with top and bottom wing skins that need to be joined at the leading edge, and it is a real pain. You've done a masterful job of joining them. I salute you sir!

AndyC
05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
The model looks great. The wings look like they came out pretty good too. The Dell P-51 uses tabs at the leading edge too and it was a nightmare to get them curved properly. I went through two sets of wings on that model before I finally got it to look decent. You've done a really good job on those wings, especially at that scale.

flightsimmer2010
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
funny thing you said about monitor-printer calibration and print shops....
i got it printed out at office max ..because my printer took a dive.. and it came out brownish... but it still looked good after i weathered it up and added lots of battle damage

Swampfox
05-07-2010, 02:44 PM
i got it printed out at office max ..because my printer took a dive.. and it came out brownish...

If your really concerned about it I'd stop by sometime and ask them if they've ever calibrated their system.......maybe they haven't. It does cost some serious cash and time to do it right.

Although most OD examples I've seen in museums, that claim accuracy in their a/c restorations, do show a brownish/yellowish cast to the OD paint scheme. Many OD paint jobs tend towards having too much blue in the OD paint, making it lean towards a brighter green.

Like you said though, nothing a little oil and grease wash can't fix.

KCStephens
05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I haven't had good luck having things printed at Office Max either....Way back when I had them print a panzer tank kit and it actually came out purple...Way off from the dark panzer grey that it actually should have been.

BARX2
05-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I've had good luck with prints from Fedex/Office/Kinko's - except for the price: $1.50 a sheet on their glossy paper. :( Buck a sheet if you bring your own paper.

BARX2
05-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Makes me kind of sick to say it, but I've given up on this build. I am just not happy with it - both the kit and my work. Maybe I've just built too many planes. Anyway, this one's out of the contest. Sorry for any inconvenience. :o

willygoat
05-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Say it ain't man, say it ain't so :(