PDA

View Full Version : FG B-36 Peacekeeper or The Big Stick

Papercut
03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I was going to enter a different AC, but in fairness someone else has already started the same, so I went with my 2nd choice. This will be the largest AC I have built in card. I simply love this monster and will purchase the required material tomorrow to print. Do have the option to add the Arctic Red version as well. But probably go w/SAC version. Wow:eek: is all I can say about this Big Bad Bird. An Atomic Bomb was also included!:DRick

rickstef
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Are you entering this as your FGMM build?

I will move it to the appropriate forum if it is

Rick

Papercut
03-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes, I was not sure where to put, thanks Rick

cjwalas
03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
What scale is this monster???
Chris

Papercut
03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Chris I have looked and looked, but can not find a scale for this monster, all I could find was that the wing span is 40". I also read all that could be found on FG's site and was surprised to read that the 1st Broken Arrow involved a B-36.

lepercan
03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
The FG B-36 is 1/50. 120% WSAM, which is 1/60. I got it down to 1/288 in diorama.

APA-168
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Looking forward to this one, it was the idea of designing this monster that got me into it in the first place, still working on that project... :rolleyes:

Only minor nitpick...it's actually "Peacemaker"...sorry, I'm just a little obsessive when it comes to this particular plane... :P

willygoat
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I also read all that could be found on FG's site and was surprised to read that the 1st Broken Arrow involved a B-36.

I have worked with a couple of gentlemen at the local air museum that used to fly B-36s. One was on the very plane that had the first broken arrow. he was in the rear crew quarters, as he was "off-duty" at the time. He said that you knew something was wrong when you felt a jerk, and the plane jumped up 1,000 feet instantly. That would be a fun ride. NOT!!

Make sure you do the XF-85 Goblin to go with it. Maybe some dio points. Here's some inspiration for you

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/B-36/IMG_2167.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/XF-85/IMG_0059.jpg

BARX2
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
That's a beautiful bird. I bought it in plastic a couple of weeks ago in 1/72 scale and it's a monster. Looking forward to seeing this build.

Paperwarrior
03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
This is an excellent choice. This is one of my favorite aircraft. Interesting bit of trivia about this bird. At altitude it could out turn a MiG 15.

murphyaa
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
My favorite story about the B-36 was how as they were flying over the US somewhere, some local Air National Guard types decided to make gunnery passes on them. They let them do the first pass un molested, then, on the second pass, they'd run out the guns, and activate the targeting radars, then laugh as the fighters wuld turn and run.

gomidefilho
03-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Impressive choice, is a bigger plane. I have printed in 1/100 scale, but no space to display the monster... :(

lepercan
03-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Th' thing had more hidden guns than a Mississippi gambler.
gomidefilho- so go micro-mini. 1/288 is 9" wide

Papercut
03-09-2010, 07:08 AM
I am glad everyone is interested in this bird, and as has been brought alot of interesting stories to boot. I would love to do a version w/the Goblin, just do not have the Goblin nor any other material for this mod. So I will build as she comes w/a few dress ups. I do intend to open up the bomb bay and include "The Big One". I have read and do agree, it lived up to it's name, Peacekeeper. One other story about this bird is it was the design that was requested by the Air Force over the Flying Wing, another fav of mine. Hope to have printed out this evening. Glad to know the scale, what if done in 1/33 WOW.:eek:Rick

willygoat
03-09-2010, 07:46 AM
If by any chance you decide to go insane and build a cockpit interior, I have photos you could use :cool:

KCStephens
03-09-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm anxious to see it come together for you

Question...what weight stock do you plan on using? I used 67# vellum bristol for my B24 and wish that I would have gone with a heavier paper.

willygoat
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Everything I've seen about building the Magnesium Monster suggests 110 pound for the fuselage and wing box, and 65-67 pound for everything else. The fuselage need to be beefed up to support the wings.

peter taft
03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I am glad everyone is interested in this bird, and as has been brought alot of interesting stories to boot. I would love to do a version w/the Goblin, just do not have the Goblin nor any other material for this mod. So I will build as she comes w/a few dress ups. I do intend to open up the bomb bay and include "The Big One". I have read and do agree, it lived up to it's name, Peacekeeper. One other story about this bird is it was the design that was requested by the Air Force over the Flying Wing, another fav of mine. Hope to have printed out this evening. Glad to know the scale, what if done in 1/33 WOW.:eek:Rick

What a brilliant choice of aircraft :) I too love the Flying Wing {the 36 is much prettier though} of the two versions offered up {prop or jet} the jet version was my favourite :) A stunning bird for sure. If you really REALLY want to go to 1:33 scale, only attempt this if you are free and single - if you're married, wait for the divorce papers to drop through the mailbox :D

avro202
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
just do not have the Goblin nor any other material for this mod

You know, I am sure I saw a freebie Goblin somewhere...maybe it was on "that other" forum...?

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to seeing how this one develops. I tried to build the FG B-36 years ago and had to admit defeat- I just could not get those engines to fit right. I am hoping your build will let me figure out what I did wrong!

billy.leliveld
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
FG has one :D
https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/Aircraft/McDonnell-F85.html

The Goblin was designed to fit in a B36 bombbay, but it never flew from a B36

willygoat
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
You got it Billy! It was tested from a B-29 Mothership. The two prototypes were tested for 3 years, and had just over 2 hours of flight time between them.

avro202
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
IIRC, Chuck Yeager was scathing in his comments on the flight test pilot on those tests.

I"m such a dope! That freebie Goblin is right here in our downloads!

PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Aviation (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5&sort=date&page=3)

Wyvern
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Looking forward to seeing your build, Rick!

Wyvern

Papercut
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I am trying to decide, Red River or not. I feel the Stick should be as built, aluminum covered, but I have never worked w/Red River paper. Any comments guys about yea or nay considering my experience with it.:eek:Rick

billy.leliveld
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I would say go for it!
It's a bit unforgiving, dents and smudges show up more easy than normal paper ,and the way it comes it is too shiny, but sprayed with a matt acryllic varnish it's the best way to produce a metalic looking papermodel.
It is also a bit thin, but you can laminate it when necesary..
You'll be amazed, just like me when I tried it for the first time
Here's the difference between RRpaper and normal on the B229 I did

avro202
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Your kidding me! Thats RR Silver paper? Wow.

I have used it But I never thought to use a matt varnish on it.

Looks like I am headed to the craft store tonight!

-Jim G
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Broken Arrow? I thought that a Broken Arrow involved an explosion of some sort. I thought that without an explosion and release of radiation it was called a "Bent Spear". I might be wrong, it has been a long time since I played with special weapons.

Papercut
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
OK billy.lelived, you have convinced me, now what size sheets, seems like the bigger sheet @ Red River are OOS? I will try to use but if I do not feel it looks ok, will go with as printed. Jim G., in answer to your ? Research has shown that a dropped and or because of crash any atomic yielding weapon w/o donation is classified as a Broken Arrow. Read the account of this same, that occurred w/a B-36. Seems the B-36 and this particular BOMB were a team since no other aircraft could carry it. Just so happen though that on a mission, a B-36 lost the egg and jumped up to over a 1000' in a short amount of time. I guess there went lunch after that. The bomb does come w/kit and I also intend to change/color it to the correct look f/this weapon. I am excited about getting to build this monster, and yes I will use 110lb and plenty of Bristol to add strength. Seems the wing saddle needs alot of beefing to hold those long wings level.:DRick

Papercut
03-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh forgot to post these.:eek:

Wilfried
03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Hello Rick,

a nice choice; I have an old Monogram 1:72 kit stored for a long time on the attic; what scale you thinkin' about? :) I wish you luck and enough space ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried, friend of small ships ...

willygoat
03-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Here's a nice shot of the Mk 17 bomb for you

willygoat
03-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Doh! forgot the pictures.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/IMG_5747.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/IMG_6216-1.jpg

Paperwarrior
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Here's a nice shot of the Mk 17 bomb for you

Willygoat, Thanks for the pictures. Yeah, I know they were meant for someone else, but I'm a Cold War Warrior so I really find this of interest!

Papercut
03-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Willygoat, Thanks for the pictures. Yeah, I know they were meant for someone else, but I'm a Cold War Warrior so I really find this of interest!Yea, what he said! Great photos of the "BOMB".:eek: Thanks, Rick

Papercut
03-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Have been plagued with a Rotor-Cuff that keeps giving me problems, that will stop after next week hopefully and have been busy with another Hobby, acquired a S&W Model 13-3 Nickel and have spent the last couple days working on it, hopefully this weekend will get started with the Monster. I am really glad and appreciate the interest in this Bird. I just hope I can do her justice. I will admit, I am a little, heck alot intimidated by the Red River paper, so will just print and build as the kit comes w/a few added details:rolleyes:. Stay tuned for photos soon!!!!!!!!!:DRick

Papercut
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Just a note, plane is printed, all 16 sheets:eek: plus instructions and a few for back up. Work and a 2nd side job, ole shoulder acting up and life keeps me going, but I do hope to get started this week. Have studied and have to admit, a most interesting build since there seems to be no formers to help hold the shape of that long fuselage. Found it interesting a detail note says stuff small plastic bags into the fuselage to help keep it's shape. The wing saddle requires you to double up to support the wing, which again is suggested to stuff w/tissue. I am trying to decide how to build, flying dropping the Big One, or with LG down. I do not have much room in my study for a desk top, so more than likely will build as a flying Peacekeeper.:eek:Rick

lepercan
03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
One note. I found the engine nacelles to be side and engine specific.

billy.leliveld
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Doh! forgot the pictures.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/IMG_5747.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/IMG_6216-1.jpg

Nice find on the local scrapyard :eek:

murphyaa
03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
You bet. Not every scrapyard has a B-52 butt*(**) and an Atomic bomb.

*I'm guessing behind The Bomb is the aft fuselage if a B-52

(**) Sorry, I just couldn't resist the urge to say "B-52 butt". At least I didn't say "BUFF Butt"

Ashrunner
03-14-2010, 01:42 PM
That butt definitely ain't buff, even though it comes from a BUFF! 8v)

Texman
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
And, being it has the quad fifty, I'd say a -d model

Ashrunner
03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Not sure it's a D model myself. D's all had EW antennas and jamming equipment installed for their role in Vietnam. This tail doesn't have any. It could be anything from a B, C, E or F...as the tail section remained the same on them. One exception was the B-52B models which carried the twin 20s.

If you put a gun against my head and said, "What model?!"...I would probably say an E model.

willygoat
03-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, you all might be wrong. At least on the fact that the BUFF butt didn't come from an actual BUFF. It's a tail gun training module. Since that picture was taken, it has gone into restoration and received a ton of work. The guys have fixed and or replaced much of the skin. They've reworked rusted out bulkheads and such. The even redid the glass work. it looks pretty cool.

If you guys are interested, and maybe for your build info papercut, here's a gallery I took of the B-36J at the museum I work at. it may prove helpful. Expecially on the engines.
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/B-36/

Papercut
03-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Cool alot of neat photos.:DRick

Ashrunner
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Well, you all might be wrong. At least on the fact that the BUFF butt didn't come from an actual BUFF. It's a tail gun training module. Since that picture was taken, it has gone into restoration and received a ton of work. The guys have fixed and or replaced much of the skin. They've reworked rusted out bulkheads and such. The even redid the glass work. it looks pretty cool.B-36 pictures by BDR7 - Photobucket (http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k173/BDR7/B-36/)

I actually wondered about that. The area behind the gunner's pit just didn't look correct and I saw nothing indicating the vertical stabilizer had ever been attached. But I figured it might have been done that way during removal.

I do remember now seeing a photo of one of the trainers. One of my roommates at Kincheloe AFB was a gunner and showed me his photo album. It had pics from his technical training, his first base assignment (D models) and his first SEA tour. Didn't jar my memory until you mentioned it being a training module. Very interesting. I'd love to see that someday. Where will it be displayed?

willygoat
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Currently, the module is still in restoration. It got delayed a bit as the Mig-21 and B-29 took precedence. I really don't know where it will be displayed at the moment. I would guess next to the B-52B by the other BUFF training modules.