PDA

View Full Version : FGMM Albatros DVa

dfarrell
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
It has been a while since I've posted on here, but this contest has sparked my intrest! I think I will build the Ablatros DVa of Lt. Bohning.
I've scaled it down to 1/48 scale, and I am going to try to add a more detailed engine, machine guns, and rigging too. Pictures to follow. .

dfarrell
03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Here is what I have done so far. I decided not to add a different engine on this one. I had a few problems withthe fit of the fuselage, so I decided I would go easy on this one. I still plan on using some different M.G.'s and adding some rigging, and do something about the wheels.

cdwheatley
03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Looks great so far :).

Sammuel
03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Looking good. I'm building the Fokker DrI and also want to improve on the M.G.'s. What do you suggest or how are you going to scratch build them? Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks
Sam

cdwheatley
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
When I build machine guns for my WWI models I cut a short length of dowel and use the printed part wrapped around it for the body of the gun, with a tiny piece of insulation from some thin gauge wire at one end for the barrel and a piece of balsa at the other end painted black for the stock.

dfarrell
03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
For M.G.'s, I think I am going to use the ones that came with Marek's Pfaltz D-III kit.
(I was going to use the engine from the same kit too). Although I like the idea of using wire insulation for the barrel alot!

Sammuel
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Sounds good. I was thinking of going with maybe a small brass tube and drill holes into it or evergreen plastic tube and do the same. I will play around with both and post some photos when done.

Sam

Alcides
03-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I had a few problems withthe fit of the fuselage, so I decided I would go easy on this one.

I was thinking to build one of this. Do you think the models has a fit problem ?

Mauri
03-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Very nice project. As Alcides, I would like to know the details of that fitting problems... any chance that you can post a pic explaining the issue? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
- Mauri -

dfarrell
03-14-2010, 02:37 AM
The problem I had was with the tail section, and the section the fits right in front of the wing. The tail section problem is overcome by making the front of that section (where the tabs are) a little smaller, otherwise it is too big to slide into the next piece. For the section that fits infront of the wings, you need to make the rear of that section a bit tighter, otherwise it fits too loose. Take care of that , and the rest of the fuselage goes together fine. I hope that explains it well enough, because my first try (which had the problems) crashed landed in the recycle bin, and is no more.

dfarrell
03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I think I'll call it done. I might add a few more wires. It didn't turn out as well as I was hoping it would, but that is my fault.

Alcides
03-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Looks great!!! I always scared to do biplanes because rigging.

dfarrell
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Don't let the rigging scare you! It really isn't that hard. I use super glue gel to fasten the thread to the struts. It is much easier than trying to tie all those little knots. It is aslo much easier on a larger model. You should try it!

Tim Crowe
03-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Looks good, you've done the compound curves on the fuselage well.

Tim

cdwheatley
03-17-2010, 02:51 AM
It looks pretty darn good from where I'm standing! Great work :).

jagolden01
03-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Very nice! I'd like to build that one, now.

cjwalas
03-17-2010, 07:00 AM
This is not the best fit to begin with, so you've done a fine job of pulling this one together! I think it looks very good, especially considering the limitations of the kit. Well done!
Chris

KCStephens
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Your model turned out very nice...I like it a lot...I'll have to add this one to my list of future builds.

rockpaperscissor
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I think it looks great! We're all our own worst critics. I'd be proud to have build it as well as you did.

dfarrell
03-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys. I picked a bad time to try to build model- it is finals week - so I didn't have the time put in to it that I would have liked to. Next week, when things slow down, I'll start another!