PDA

View Full Version : Aichi Seiran, **BETA** build, 1:33, Gremir Models

Golden Bear
11-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Finally I have tracked down the photos of this Beta build. This was one of the first downloadable models that I ever built (maybe the second one?) and you'll notice some "learnings" that I experienced during this... I sneezed and left some marking (I hadn't figured out yet to spray it, duh!) and I had not yet learned how to let my printer do the right thing to get the color... also, I printed parts on three different printers and learned just how different they could be!!! Oh well, planes weren't perfectly colored either.

This comes from Gremir with their peculiar but very useful download and printing system. With the supplied printing system it is very easy to scale to any size that a builder might want. Most of my builds are 1:33 so I stuck with that. It came on 12 sheets plus a template page and had 5 very nice sheets of assembly diagrams and two of plans. I had one tiny confusion but that would have been avoided if I hadn't been stoopid - I'll point it out later.

Mike likes his Japanese models and this is a nice one. For those who don't recall, the plane was designed to be flown off of massive submarines with the objective of attacking by stealth at U.S. installations. If I recall correctly they were actually sent off with the intent of attacking the Panama Canal locks but were called back. However, the fleet of submarines was not complete in any case and suffered from the end of war bombing of the Japanese mainland installations.

There seems to be one surviving example of this plane residing at the Smithsonian Institution. It has been undergoing restoration and is clearly the real life example for this kit. I'm a little dubious about the floats since the planes would have been launched by catapault from the submarines - the pilots were expected to parachute out upon return for recovery by the same vessels (Hah!). This was apparently a high performance plane with an in line engine modeled on the DBs.

We start with construction of the cockpit region with the standard technique of doubled cardstock framing. BTW, I use 100# Bristol paper, doubled with 3M spray adhesive, for 1mm framing tasks. The two sheets of Bristol plus the printed card sheet come out to be just short of 1mm and ultimately work perfectly for this task. I found the cockpit color to kind of peculiar but it seems historical - I chided Mike for this and he told me so and to shut up and build, so it must be OK. Also the SI example shows the color. BTW, the kit is not "weathered." Maybe John Griffin can do a new skin set for it.:)

Here's the start of the build and the cockpit:

Golden Bear
11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
The cockpit is nicely done and detailed although not to the extreme of Halinski. Here are some in process shots showing the build up of the front and rear cockpits.

Golden Bear
11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
The machine gun assembly in the back is particularly interesting and takes a little work. The barrel tucks in under the sheet metal behind the canopy from whence it would be pulled back and then up to be fired.

Next I moved on to skinning the cockpit region. I had some tight fitting there, but nothing that isn't typical for models with cardboard framing. As usual, fitting and refitting along with bits of sanding, is appropriate in order to achieve a nice fit.

The first picture shows the cockpit and nose assemblies with skin and the base wing strut... it's always good to make certain that this lines up correctly fairly early in the build.

The second picture shows the nose and cockpit put together from the top. The third shows the bottom. The fourth picture shows the bottom with ducting and attachments for a torpedo. There is a choice between bomb and torpedo for the weapon load. I chose the torpedo because I haven't done one before or since.

CMDRTED
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Looks good brother bear! This will be another on the long list of builds to do!

Lex
11-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Nice build! I actually like planes in the un-weathered condition.

dansls1
11-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Another nice clean build. As far as weathering, you can always follow the lead of the European modellers and work out your own weathering with chalks and whatnot. Weathering is one of those things that I think looks good sometimes, but it's nice to see planes in pristine shape as well sometimes.

cjwalas
11-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Looking good. I've always liked WWII floatplanes. Personally, I think the addition of weathering helps paper models. Of course, when a model is put together to the level you maintain, the result is always top notch!
More, please!
Chris

Barry
11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Excellent as always wish the undersides of my planes looked like that

Golden Bear
11-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh, there's more to come. The build was over a year ago and I was still figuring out the new camera and Mike wanted super high density photos... so I've got to rescale them. Unfortunately they're somewhat fuzzier than I like after shrinking them from 3M to 180k. I know that I could link to Imageshack but I'm not fond of that option.

As to weathering, I don't believe that I made any statement saying that it was bad that the model was unweathered. I'm just trying to inform. Some models are weathered, some aren't. It's the artist's choice. This model looks fine the way it is... it is one of two that I have on a bookshelf by my bed. I did spend some time looking at photos of the surviving Seiran and it is extremely weathered and that makes quite a contrast in colors and whatnot. I'll get to work on the next set of pictures for sharing...

Carl

B-Manic
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
When I am reducing the size of photos, I sharpen them then reduce by by about 66% and repeat until they are they are size I require.

Golden Bear
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Hmm. mmmm

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Things are going to get out of order a little maybe. Sorry if there is a little bit of jumping around. I jumped over to build frames and then the floats. Here are the wing and float frames and then the top and bottom of the floats. I had a hard time getthing the segment edges lined up smoothly with the floats. I learned a lot and did better when I built the Kingfisher later:

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Then I really wanted to build the torpedo. I had never built a torpedo before so I was eager. Here are a variety of pictures, including one that shows the forming of the tip. Once again, to form these "flower petal" curved shapes, I roll the petals crosswise to get the curve correct and then roll the main cylinder, without touching the petals. Ideally the petals all line up perfectly... or really close. Then I just put a drop of glue in the center to hold it together!

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
...more torpedo pictures. Notice the little propellor blades.

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Then I went back to finish the fueselage and the wings.

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Then the canopy. This was before I built my vacuum forming operation so it was all built with mylar sheet.

The first picture shows all the pieces cut out an laying on the work surface. There were a million of them.

Then I glued the paper/card onto the mylar and scrunched it into a curvey shape while the glue dried.

...and then the whole plane jumped together!

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Here are about a million pictures taken outside to better show the coloring. Nice looking model. Sorry that I don't have more pictures of building and fitting the float braces and such...

Golden Bear
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM
This is the last set:

dansls1
12-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Great job as always, thanks for sharing. This plane starts making me think about scratchbuilding a catapault to build as a display as it were being lauched...
So many models and ideas, so little time...

cjwalas
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Nice looking model! Is there a strong frame for the float supports? And were they any trouble. They look like they came out very well.
Thanks for showing this!
Chris

CMDRTED
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
1st class job as usual Carl, thanks!

rlwhitt
12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
It is indeed a good looking model, and done with the usual skillful GB flair!

Clashster
12-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Great work, GB!

Don Boose
12-07-2007, 07:40 AM
This is a very enjoyable and informative build thread, Duke of Duco.

". . . and then the whole plane just jumped together" is a nice touch.

Like the old instruction in the stick and tissue kits for some very complex part: "Sand to shape." Yeah.

My models tend to jump out of my hands and assume strange and undesirable shapes, but I keep on reading your build threads and gazing at the pictures and thinking, "maybe . . . some day . . . with enough practice . . . "

You set a high standard, but also make me want to keep on trying.

Don

Golden Bear
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Sorry, Don, but I guess that I didn't take any pictures of the wrapping of wings and assembly of the plane... But how hard can it be to put together a couple of pieces like that?:rolleyes:

I do remember that on the wing end of the struts for the floats there are four little kind of half curved pieces that sit, two a side, in the angle between wing bottom and strut. These are actually shaped to fit each individual position but I screwed it up and got confused and jammed them in the wrong spots. I also seem to remember thinking that the whole strut to pontoon fit was difficult for me at the time but don't remember why. It was still a fun kit to build.

Carl

birder
12-20-2007, 05:41 AM
very pretty build, I've enjoyed following this, looks great